Sunday, 14 September 2014
Great Eastern Railway to Shenfield. Shenfield
The Great Eastern Railway from Liverpool Street to Shenfield
The railway from Brentwood Station arrives at Shenfield
Post to the south Hutton Mount
Shenfield High School. The school dates from 1962 and is now an ‘academy’. It was built by Essex County Council in 1959 as Shenfield County Technical School.
Alexander Lane Recreation Ground, sports fields.
Alexanders Farm and pond. This stood on the north side of the bend at the eastern end of the lane. There were farm cottages across the road from it.
Wynbarns Farm. This includes a 16th Barn which is Timber-framed,
and weatherboarded. The roof was retiled following Second World War damage.
The Rose Pub. This was a terrace of 4 cottages dating from around 1700. It was converted to a beer-house in the early 19th. The building is timber-framed and plastered.
Car park –another large car park on the site of railway sidings to the west of the main line. This is also a work site for Crossrail.
Shenfield Station. A station first opened here in 1843 but was closed for lack of passengers by 1850. It reopened in 1887 as Shenfield and Hutton Junction. It had three platforms along with extensive goods sidings. A brick water tower stood south of the platforms. The platforms are on an embankment and the original ticket hall was at ground level below the embankment on Hutton Road. It dated from 1888, when the Great Eastern Railway added the loop line destined for Southend on the west side of the main line. In the 1930s two more platforms were added and a new signal box replaced a box which had stood on the platforms. The station front was rebuilt in a sort of modern style in the 1970s. But the late 19th platform buildings and canopies remain on the island platform and western platforms. Some carriage sidings remain to the north of the station
Possible Second World War Spigot Mortar Emplacement, on the east side of the railway, beside southern wall of the railway bridge
Long Ridings Primary School.
Herrington House ‘Preparatory’ School. This private fee paying school was founded in 1936 as a private day school.
Masonic Hall. This now includes Mount Avenue Banqueting Suite. The Hall was built in 1925 and 15 different lodges hold their meetings there. The temple is laid out with a large black and white rug called the Square Pavement, with the black squares representing the lows in life and the white the highs. The master's chair stands as the focus of the room with candle holders either side.
The Southend loop line diverges from the main line and descends from embankment to ground level running to the west. In the next square it passes under the main line of the east
Hutton Junction Hotel. This has been called just The Hutton, and now The Hutton Junction. Pub which probably dates from the 1880s.
Bishops Hill. Adult Community Learning College run by Essex County Council. This was the school hall of a residential home built in 1905 for destitute children from the London Borough of Poplar. It closed in 1982.
Brennand. Ilford to Shenfield
Brentwood Gazette. Web site
British Listed Buildings. Web site
Essex County Council. Web site
Crossrail Archaeological Impact Assessment. Web site
Long Ridings Primary School. Web site
Shenfield High School. Web site
Posted by M at 05:26