Great Eastern Railway from Liverpool Street to Chingford
The railway runs northwards from Highams Park Station
TQ 38179 91761
Suburban area with some leisure facilities around trading estates and the area of the old Halex factory.
Post to the south Hale End
Post to the east Highams Park
Post to the north Pimps Hall
Names for Averil, the wife of the builder. Built in the 1960s
Built on what appears to have been the leisure centre car park
The road dates from the 1930s and the name relates to a 13th Chingford manorial family
A road which is medieval or earlier and which went to a gate into Epping Forest. A Tiny eastern section is cut off by the railway
71 Prince of Wales. The pub dated from at least the 1860s. It was rebuilt at some time shortly after 1938 and closed in 2008
Methodist chapel. In 1862 a small Wesleyan church was built but in 1936 the site of was compulsorily acquired by the London County Council for a slum clearance scheme
Rolls Park Sports Centre. The Rolls was a big house in what is now Larkshall Road at Inks Green.
This was also called Inks Green Road, from Inks Green Farm which was on the corner with Larkshall Road. ‘Inks’ is thought to be a corruption of Hicks.
Silverthorne Bowling Club
Larks Hall Crescent Estate
Laid out by Crow, 1933-6, with terraces and semi-detached houses for owner-occupiers of modest means.
The road has had a variety of names and most recently has alternatively been called Hale End Road. It was once Green Lane and later Jack's or Inks Green Lane going to Jack's farm at Hale End. The section near the junction with Hatch Lane was also known as Lark’s Lane.
The Rolls was a gentleman’s residence, home of the Ainslie family. The estate name of ‘The Rolls’ dated to at least the 16th and was at Inks Green on the west side of the road south of Ropers Avenue
St Anne’s Church. This was previously an iron mission church provided by members of the Ainslie family from Rolls in memory of a sister, Anne. The land, given by the Ainslies, at the junction with Hatch Lane was alongside Jessup’s wheelwright’s yard. Later, a legacy from the family provided for another iron building and after the Second World War a new church was built in 1953 by Tooley & Foster Red brick wlth a llttle brick pattern
MOT test centre on the site of Jessop’s Wheelwrights yard.
205 Larkshall Pub. A timber-framed building that prior to the 1980s was Larks Hall Farm. It was also known as Larks Old Farm. It is thought to be a timber framed 17th building with 19th additions. and on an original lobby-entrance plan with central chimney and the addition of a genteel wing with new entrance, added in 1890 by Arthur Crow, who had married into the Young family, the landowners. The older part now has the first-floor ceiling opened up. It was converted to a pub in 1982.
252 Whitehall Tennis Club
Ropers Field. This was a cricket ground home of the Highams Park Cricket Club. Many cricket stars had played there and this drew considerable local opposition.
Inks Green Farm. The site of the cricket ground had been a small farm near the junction of Roper’s Avenue and Larkshall Road south of Oakdale Gardens. It was also called Ropers Farm. The farm building was demolished in the 1960’s and was replaced by the Larkswood Club. The Club has now been demolished and the site is now housing.
Larkswood Park includes part of the ancient woodland of Larks Wood, and has fine oak and hornbeam trees. Larkswood was owned in the 1920s by Charles Roper, a dairy farmer. The Park was created by Chingford Borough Council in 1936,
The Merriam family were owners of British Xylonite – the factory site is adjacent.
Nasebury Court Hospital. Mental Health Services
The road was once Southfield Lane and the new name appears to date from the mid 19th following road realignments. Suffield Hatch. The area west of the crossroads is known as Suffield Hatch –probably a corruption of ‘Southfield’.
Chingford Harvester. Big chain pub.
Leisure Centre. This is the site of Larks Farm where, in 1936, Larkswood Pool was built – said to be the largest pool in England. Designed for racing and water polo, it was considered one of the finest open-air pools in the country and was opened by Sir Kingsley Wood, Minister of Health. Sold off it became the FantaSeas Water Park and then Chingford Hydro it closed in 1987. In 2001 rebuilt as the Leisure Centre and run by Greenwich Leisure Ltd.
Ropers Field Estate. This is between Larkswood, and the ‘Rolls’ site. Early in 1944, Chingford the Council identified Ropers Field for housing. The Estate was a low density development of semi-detached houses designed by, Reginald W Lone with the Borough Engineer and Surveyor S J Hellier. It was built by the Anglo-Scottish Construction Co Ltd using Prisoners of War from the camp on Chingford plain for building works and based on Garden City designs and principles.
Chingford As It Was
East London History Society. Newsletter
Hayward. Street Names of Chingford
London Borough of Waltham Forest. Web site
London Gardens Online. Web site
Ray. Chingford Past