Wednesday, 31 December 2014

Railway from London Bridge to Gravesend = North Charlton

Railway from London Bridge to Gravesend
The railway continues north eastwards

Post to the west East Greenwich - North Charlton
Post to the east West Woolwich
Post to the north Silvertown and Charlton Riverside

Anchor and Hope Lane
British Ropes. The works was set up in 1912 as the Charlton Ropeworks Ltd. in association with Frost Bros. of Poplar. They were on the east side of the road with access to a riverside wharf. The ropewalk was designed by J.J.Frost was 300' by 100' on the twisted steel bar principle, but it was commandeered as an Ordnance Depot in the Great War.  In 1924 with Frosts they became the British Ropes Group.  The ropewalk was rebuilt in the 1920 with rails along the 145 fathoms from the factory to the river. 1927 wire rope works. They took over other companies and production from Commercial Road and Falmouth as well as a southern England sales office. They developed wire rope production and in the Second World War made, among much else, the cables for the Mulberry Harbours. After the War they handled cordage made from synthetics and also a speciality in plaited ropes. A new braiding department was opened in 1967. The company name changed to Bridon in 1973. Giant machines were developed for synthetic rope manufacture and in 1980 they stopped using natural fibres. In 1978 they began to make TAP the largest and strongest manmade fibre rope in the world.    The works closed after 1995 but Bridon itself continues as a multi-national with factories worldwide. Considerable remains of the rope works remain on what is now a trading estate. Many buildings remain on site as do rails and other features – the Bridon Ropes Football Team being a major local club.
VIP Industrial Site. Light industrial units on the site of some of the Bridon factory
Ropery Business Park. Light industrial units on the site of some of the Bridon factory
Charlton Gate Business Park. Light industrial units on the site of some of the Bridon factory
Sofnal Water Softeners and Purification Materials. This was for use in steam raising plant and they also made fertilisers and limes. Turfsoil also laid out aerodromes and sports fields. They took over a transport depot in the Great War to make water softening materials here. They also made chemicals for use in gardens and allotments. In the Second World War they made chemicals for gas masks and also vast amounts of turf for use in airdromes. Following bombing they moved into the adjacent unit and set up a company called Turfsoil.  In the 1970s the company moved out of London
Moravia Anti-Fouling works. This was set up in 1905 by Austrian, Veneziani Gioachino making an anti corrosive for ships hulls. The works was renamed in 1914.   In the Second World War following bombing the company moved to Kingston.  The premises were taken over by Signal. The works was connected to author Svevo to whom there is a plaque in Charlton Church Lane.
UG closures and Plastics Ld. Kork and Seal.  This was on part of the United Glass site making bottle closers. Closed 1976.
Manchester’s Transport Depot. In 1912 Alfred Manchester leased a yard previously used by Lee District Board of Works as a maintenance depot for steam wagons.  After the Great War they bought ex-ammunition lorries and ran haulage contracts for local firms.   In the 1930s these were gradually replaced and after the Second World War expanded to a new and larger fleet. At the Charlton depot a new oil tank, offices and repair shops were installed. The company was restructured in the early 1970s but distribution networks were changing and the company went out of business in 1981.

Atlas Gardens
Housing built by Cory’s for their workers on land bought from Roupell estates. Designed by local architect Dinwiddy in 1913 and named after Cory's hulk of 1860 'Atlas'. Ocean Trading sold the freeholds to the London Borough of Greenwich in 1979.

Barney Close
Housing built in the late 1970s by the Greater London Council – said to be their last estate.

Charlton Church Lane
Charlton Station. The station dates from 1849 and now lies between Blackheath and also Westcombe Park and Woolwich Dockyard on Southern Eastern Trains.  Charlton was opened on the original North Kent Line and was very like that at Woolwich Arsenal with a two-storey building on the up side. There was no footbridge and the line was crossed on foot and initially there was no goods yard. In 1852 a junction to the Angerstein line was added west of the station. A double-track line to Maze Hill opened in 1873, and this led to layout revisions and a name change to Charlton Junction. A third bay platform was added and west of the station were crossovers joining the two lines.  A goods siding was also added and a footbridge. In 1905 a high-level entrance above the tracks was installed alongside the road bridge and passenger waiting areas were added. In 1926, the Southern Railway electrified the line. The station was subject to a rocket attack in 1944 destroying most of it except for the signal box and the substation in Troughton Road. In 1956 the platforms were lengthened and the name changed back to simply ‘Charlton’. The goods yard closed in 1963 and in 1968, a two-storey CLASP building was installed on the up platform. In 1999, a 90-foot long tent-like structure was put up on the down side to handle passengers going to the Dome and a lift was installed on a brick tower. In 2014 a local group of gardeners has planted trees and shrubs in the area alongside the down side exit and the tents.
Signal box. From the start this was west of the station on the up side. In 1905 this was demolished and replaced by a much bigger building. It was built to the designs of the, by then, defunct South Eastern Railway and controlled a larger layout as additional tracks were installed. It survived the bombing of the station but in 1970 it was closed
Hindwoods. Estate Agents. In 1910 the firm moved to Cedar Lodge which stood on the corner with what is now Floyd Road – but which was then Cedar Grove. The original front of the building was to the rear in what was then Cedar Place.  This has been demolished in 2014 and new buildings erected on the site
51 Charlton Social and Conservative Club. This was purpose built by the local Conservative Association who had previously met on the other side of the road in a shop at no.12. It was opened in 1898 and built by J.B.Sanford. It had a flat, offices, a billiard room and a garden at the back. In 1908 an iron hall was added at the back along with a bowling green; later a rifle range was also added.  In the 1920s a new hall was added at the side and yet another hall and bar in 1967.   In the 2000s the building has been sold and its current use is unclear.
59 Charlton Liberal Club. The club premises had been in the Woolwich Road but were compulsorily purchased for housing in the 1960s.  This property was bought with the compensation money.  It has bars and meeting rooms.
Wellington Mansions. This block of flats and shops is said to have been built as the Wellington Temperance Hotel in the 1890s.

Charlton Lane
Level Crossing.  There are not many level crossings left in the built-up area of London and this is between Charlton and Woolwich Dockyard Stations. It is the nearest to central London for the South Eastern Division. At least twenty trains an hour pass through it during the peak.
Signal Box. It opened on the North Kent Line around 1900 with a structure designed by contractor Saxby & Farmer. Charlton Lane's signal box survived after signalling became automatic but only in order to handle the traditional level crossing gates. Full automatic barriers, with warning lights, were installed in 1973, and were controlled directly from the signal cabin. In 2002, the cabin's traditional four-quarter wooden window frames were replaced with double-glazing, complete with thick plastic rims. It still has its original mechanical levers. 
Footbridge – traditional bridge over the line in latticed metal
Prentiss Court. These flats, now local authority housing managed by Greenwich Council who bought them in 1972. They were built by G.A.Harvey and Co. for their workers in 1952. Dr Harold Prentiss was Harvey's Medical Officer. They were opened by Harold Macmillan. They are on the site of the Kent Water Works.
Charlton Well. This was originally a pumping station for the Kent Water Co built in 1864 in part of an old chalk quarry. There was a Cornish engine there from Harvey’s of Hayle. However pumping stopped in 1875 and the engine was sent to Orpington. In 1881 it was taken over by the Plumstead District Waterworks Co. who pumped water for non domestic purposes.  It had closed by 1900 but the engine house remained until 1910.m
46 Infant Welfare Centre and Artificial Sunlight Centre. Metropolitan Borough of Greenwich bought land here for a clinic and this was opened in 1935.  In the Second World War the building was used as an Air Road First Aid Post.   It is now private housing
Steps lead into Maryon Park and up the hillside to the top of Gilbert’s Pit
Footpath. From the bottom of the steps a footpath leads between the perimeter of the park and Thorntree Road. It skirts the base of Gilbert’s Pit and passes through areas of wild and apparently unmanaged woodland.
St. Paul’s Close. This is the site of St Pauls Church. This stood on the northern corner with Fairfield Road. It was opened in 1866 and designed by W.Wiggiton in the Gothic style. Soon after it had been built the north side began so subside. The church was completely destroyed by a bomb in 1940.  The site was eventually sold to the council and is now the site of housing.
Rectory to St Pauls. This was west of the church and built in 1884. It remained in use until 1972 and was eventually demolished in 1975.
67 Vicarage built for Holy Trinity Church. It has however more recently been used but the vicar from St. Luke’s Church. It was also used as St.Luke’s Training House a pre-theological college but this closed in 1971.
54 Royal Oak. Traditional style pub with an L-shaped bar very close to Charlton Football Ground.

Cleverley Close
Local authority housing built in 1974. This housing replaced traditional terraced housing, including the corner shop featuring as an antique dealer's in the film ‘Blow Up’.
Entrance to Maryon Park. This entrance features in the film ‘Blow Up’.

Coxmount Road
The name is attributed to a nearby area in the park – to the east of this square. Housing built by the Metropolitan Borough of Greenwich in the early 1920s.

Delafield Road
Charlton Mission Hall. This was built as a parish mission hall for St.Paul's church.

Derrick Gardens
Like Atlas Gardens built by Cory for their workers. Named for the equipment on the Atlas hulk

Eastmoor Street
Originally called East Street

Fairfield Grove
The Fair Field once stood at the top of Charlton Lane.  It was associated with the Horn Fair held between 1819 and 1871 and belonged to the Maryon Wilson Estate. It was bought by the Metropolitan Borough of Greenwich in 1921 for housing.
The Fairfield Centre. NHS Health Centre. This is on the site of the Rectory for St.Paul’s Church.
Floyd Road
This was once called Cedar Grove and the western end was lined with cedar trees.
Cedar Grove Postal Sorting Office. This opened in 1907 with six postmen and closed in 196l.
Mural. The Local Community Halting Demolition. This was painted in 1976 by the Greenwich Mural Workshop.
Charlton Athletic Football Club. The club was founded in 1905 and had used various local parks and fields to play in. After the Great War they needed somewhere permanent and the area considered was called The Swamps. This was an old chalk and sand pit used by Glentons surrounded by high cliffs and full of debris from the London County Council sewer works.  In 1919 volunteer supporters dug out the site and army huts used as changing rooms. The ground eventually held 75,000 spectators and the East Stand claimed to be the world's biggest football terrace. The club was the first to televise live soccer matches. Charlton became a First Division Club in the Football League in 1937, and remained there for 21 years. They played twice in the FA Cup Final and won it in 1947.  They now have a large building which doubles as a stand and offices. The ground has trees on three sides.
Charlton Station pit. This was also known as West Pit. It was bounded by Charlton Hill on the west, the railway on the north, and Charlton Lane on the east. It is shown as Ballast Pits - meaning sand and chalk - in 1866 – 67. Here the excavation of Thanet Sand was carried downwards to exploit the underlying chalk. This is now the area occupied by the football pitch and stands
Disinfectant factory. This is shown on late 19th maps. It looks to be on the edge of the chalk pit which became Charlton Football grounds and could thus be on the site of offices for Glenton’s, who exploited that pit.

Gallon Close
The part of the road from Woolwich Road to the railway is an adaption of what was Ransom Road. It became part of a late 1970s housing estate built by the Greater London Council.
Terrace of houses by BPTW and managed by Family Mosaic, said to be some of the greenest housing in London. Opened 2010.


Glenton's Sand and Ballast Railway.
This railway was built in 1840 by entrepreneur and developer Lewis Glenton. It ran from sand pits in the Charlton Football Ground area to the river. Later British Ropes took over the northern portion to move flax and hemp from the river to their works, and some remains of the railway remain on that site.

Gollogly Terrace
Named after Joanna Gollogly, local Labour councillor and Mayor.  This is local authority housing built on the site of Warren sandpits

Guild Road
Named for the Guild of Master Builders who built much of this estate.

Hardens Manorway
Built from Woolwich Road to the River by S.Hardin, local farmer, in the 18th.  The southern section of the road is cut off from Woolwich Road and runs alongside the park
Barrier Park - Hardens Manorway Park.  This is a flat linear north-south block of land that was at one stage occupied by part of the Siemens Brothers Telegraph Works. London Borough of Greenwich took over the land as derelict in the mid-1980s and landscaped it with funding from the Greater London Council to be in keeping with new landscaping in Maryon Park. This consists of bed planted with native trees and shrubs and grassland with wildflowers with features of chalkland including bee orchid and common centuary supporting butterflies and insects. There is a pond with dragonflies

Harvey Gardens
Built by Harvey’s & Co. for their workers in 1935. Sold to the London Borough of Greenwich in 1972.

Hasted Road
Named after the 18th Kentish historian. 
Thorntree Road Primary School. The bungalow style school was built by the London County Council in 1927. It was initially an infant school and has had a nursery on the premises also. In the Second World War it was used by an RAF Balloon Unit. 

Lansdowne Lane.
Named after Lord Lansdowne 19th Whig politician

Lansdowne Mews
Lansdowne Workshops. These are in the reconditioned buildings of the Kentish Sanitary Laundry. These date from 1906 but were refurbished after Second World War bombing. The works finally closed in 1978.

Maryon Park
Maryon Park. This square only covers the eastern portion of the park – which does not include the area made famous in the film ‘Blow Up’. The area was originally part of Hanging Wood and it is named after the local landowners – the Maryon Wilson family. Much of the park is part of an old sandpit – known as East Pit - worked for sand for scouring, ballast or glass and bottle manufacture and which was exploited from the early 18th to 1870. Under the Metropolitan 'Open Spaces' Act, twelve acres of exhausted sand workings were given by Sir Spencer Maryon-Wilson Bt. to the London County Council in 1889.  The area was levelled, grassed over and opened as a park in 1890.  Over the next thirty years more land and old workings were added by the L.C.C.
Roman Camp. The high embankment between Gilbert’s Pit and the main park is part of the inner ring of earthworks of a Romano-British settlement. This was excavated in the late 19th and it was thought it was used from the 1st to the 5th centuries A.D.
Gilbert's Pit. Charlton Sandpit. This is an immense sandpit dug in the 18th and 19th when sand was used on London floors and was used in glass works and for moulding purposes at the Royal Arsenal.  The exposed strata have made the pit geologically important. It is separated from the Park and fenced off. It was designated a 'site of special scientific interest' in 1959 and more recently a site of ‘geodiversity interest’.

Maryon Wilson Park
Maryon Wilson Park. This square only covers the eastern side Maryon Wilson Park. The area was once known as Hanging Woods. It is likely that the name refers to the hanging formation of the trees nevertheless the highwaymen who frequented the main Dover Road no doubt also hid there. The land was given by Sir S.P.M. Maryon-Wilson Bart to the London County Council in 1912 and opened as a park in 1926.  The southern part is narrow, with a path running alongside a stream in a valley or 'combe'. There is a small animal enclosure for deer, sheep and other small animals. This grew from a group of deer presented to the council by Sir Maryon Wilson. In 1950 three Exmoor ponies were added, and in the past there have been muntjac. There are now ponies which belong to Riding for the Disabled, linked to Charlton Park School to the south.

Penhall Road
The road name is an amalgam of Penfold, whose vehicles transported the hardcore for the road and Beatall, the first occupier
Beatall Furniture Ltd. This was set up in 1935 by R.S.Whybrow who made wooden furniture & made a lot of money in furnishings for evacuation centres. Then Utility Furniture came along and they made a lot of money out of cheap furniture and their sub-assembly system. Went out of business in 1962 when they were unable to face competition from competitors. A large building on the site of their works remains
Tramatorium.  This was on the corner with Woolwich Road and was a site leased from Stones in 1950 to dispose of the trams. Here they were stripped and burnt. Disposal depended on geographical relation of the route to the site. There were Civic processions with many lots as they arrived. Last Tram Week was in June 1952

Pound Park Road
Name derived from the pound, a 19th fenced area for confining animals overnight before they continued their journey along the Lower Woolwich Road. In 1889 it was opened as a Recreation Ground in 1889 and renamed Pound Park. Charlton Athletic played here for 5 years. In 1920 the Park was transferred to the Greenwich Borough’s housing department and became the site of Charlton’s first council houses, built as family homes with three bedrooms and gardens.
Pound Park Nursery. This was built in 1944 to cater for children whose parents were involved in the war effort. It continued as a nursery school for the next 60 years and became a model of good practice for the education of children aged three and four years. In 2006 Pound Park, in conjunction with Sure Start Charlton, became a Children’s Centre and a new family room was added.

Railway
Charlton Tunnel. This runs from Charlton Lane under a portion of Maryon Park.  Features of the portals included a stone string course, now replaced in brick, and a peaked parapet. Around the arch ring is decorative brickwork and there are massive wing walls. Apart from quite extensive modern repairs to the west portal the original design has been retained.

Ransom Road
The road follows the route of Glenton’s railway from the sand pits to the railway – originally to the Woolwich Road. The name is said to come from the type of skips used on the railway.
Railway bridge. Low bridge to allow Glenton’s Railway under the main line.
Charlton Mosque. Charlton Mosque & Pakistan Welfare Association - established in 1970 moved to Ransom Road in 1974.This is Sufi – Bareilvi
Sam Bartram Close
Housing on part of what was part of the football ground and named for one of their players.

The Heights
The road itself runs across the top of the pit in which the football ground now sits. It has been used as a market garden but was bought by a housing developer in 1937 and the houses are from that date.
Estate built on an old sand pit area which stands above the football ground. A great deal of infill was needed to make the ground up and therefore houses here are of light weight wooden construction. Built in 1974.
Thorntree Road
Until 1925 this was Hanging Wood Lane said to be a retreat of robbers who preyed on travellers on the Dover Road. It runs between Maryon Park and Maryon Wilson Park.
Troughton Road
Terrace of housing on what was an area of railway sidings and good facilities

Valley Grove
Valley Grove Estate. Built in 1935 on land bought from Boyd Estates and flats were built Greenwich Borough Council.
Valiant House. The London Borough of Greenwich bought land on the edge of the football ground from Glikstein in 1967.  The tower block was built in 1975 and is 17 storeys
Reservoir. This was built in the 1920s to the south of the football ground.
Thames Water Utilities. At the end of the road is a brick building which stands over the sewer. Thirty feet below is a huge weir where the Eltham sewer meets No.2 southern outfall sewer.

Westmoor Street
ACE Machinery. The company were pioneers in the manufacture of hoists for the civil engineering industry. It began in Brixton as the Australian Concrete Equipment Co. in 1919. In 1966 they took over William Jones and moved to their Westmoor Street site. In 1979 they were taken over by Scottish construction company F.J.C.Lilley.   Lilley went out of business in the 1990s citing problems with Ace Machinery.
William Jones. This company originated in a railway track and conveyor production based in Upper Thames Street, then Creek Road and then Banning Street. In 1936 they took on the Westmoor Street site and had begun to specialise in sewage works equipment. They had four long corrugated iron sheds here. They were taken over by ACE in 1966. As a subsidiary company they became in specialists solid/liquid separation methods

Wolfe Crescent
Built by Metropolitan Borough of Greenwich in the 1920s, at the time when the Wolfe statue was given to Greenwich Park.
Woolwich Road
428 Antigallican. This was probably an 18th ale house on a slightly different site.   The name comes from an anti French movement in the 18th. It was taken over by John McDonnell in 1984 having previously been leased by Charringtons to Hallam  Co. of Bexleyheath
Fire station - Next to the Antigallcan pub is a house for the engine & fire escape
331 This was Chants Snowflake Laundry in 1906.
444 Lime Villas. There were two kilns here for the Greenwich Pottery. Built in 1871 by John Nicholls replacing some earlier ones on a site previously owned by Lewis Glenton. John Nichols was a lime merchant previously based in Hardens Manorway and when he moved here named the house Lime Villa and concentrating on lime burning installed two Staffordshire bottle kilns. The raw materials were obtained from the Rose and Crown Pit at Riddlesdown which Nichols also owned. In the early 1920s, Eric Nichols sold the premises and bottle kilns, with a chalk capital 'N' in the neck of both, were bought by the Crown Fuel Company to make heating elements for gas fires. In 1950 the Company made pottery and figurines were advertised in the 1951 Greenwich Festival Guide. Demolished in 1965 by the Greater London Council and Barney Close built on the site.
482- 484 Armstrong works.  This later became Armstrong Gardens and the home of the Earlswood Sanitary Steam Laundry
Earlswood Sanitary Steam Laundry.  This became part of the same company as the Kentish Laundry in 1920.
Cable Trade Park.
503-505 Waterman’s Arms. This began as a beer house in the 1840s.  In 1900 it was taken over by Mann, Crossman and Paulin who rebuilt it.  It was rebuilt again in 1978 and demolished in the 1980s for road widening.
Mashland. In the 19th on open ground to the west of Anchor and Hope Lane much of London’s refuse was tipped, slop being brought by barges. An embankment was made round the area with solid material, using refuse from gas works.
602 Cherubim and Seraphim Church. This was the Horse and Groom pub. Originally on the turnpike road it dates from about 1840 and was a coaching inn, as the name suggests, had a collection of old enamel advertising signs. It was modernised in the 1890s and 1930s. It is now closed
Tollgate. This is said to have stood on the turnpike road at the bottom of Charlton Lane
Charlton Well.  North side of Woolwich Road opposite Charlton Lane and called Charlton Well. It was originally a pumping station for the Plumstead Woolwich and Charlton Waterworks, built in 1859 which became Kent Water Co in 1861.  It had a Cornish beam engine from Harvey’s of Hale. It was polluted with river water and closed in 1874
Holy Trinity Church. This stood on the corner with Charlton Lane. This had been an iron church since 1887 it the new church was built in memory of Frederick Maryon Wilson who died in 1893. It was designed by local architect John Rowland and it was a large stone building paid for by the Maryon Wilson family. Many families left the area during and after the Second World War and congregations fell until the church was unused and it closed in 1974. It was demolished in 1975.
Trinity Court. Flats built by London Borough of Greenwich in 1983 on the site of Holy Trinity church.
Stone Lake Retail Park. This is on the site of Stone’s Sports Club ground. Stones had bought the site in 1928 when it was very warerlogged and needed a lot of infilling. They also bought the old National School buildings which were used on the site for a while.  In 1980 it was sold to a developer but permission was refused for a superstore there. The land remained unused and returning to marsh until the current retail park was built.
Stone Lake Industrial Park
Stone Foundries. The firm can trace its origins back to 1830 when founder, Josiah Stone, set up his business on the Thames in south-east London to cast copper nails for the shipbuilding industry in Deptford.  The company expanded to a large site on Arklow Road, Deptford.  The firm built foundries on the riverside in Charlton to make anchors.   The firm had several works north of this site and some parts of it failed. The foundry was bought by John Langham along with the sports field. .As the aerospace industry developed during the early 1900's, the focus of the business moved towards magnesium and aluminium light alloy castings to supply the needs of this rapidly growing industry.  In 1939, a new plant was established in Charlton, and this plant continues to produce aerospace castings today. In 1982, Stone Foundries was acquired by Langham Industries.
704 White Horse. Large 19th one-bar pub between Woolwich and Charlton. In the 1860s the landlord had a tame bear o the premises.  It was once owned by some professional footballers.
National School. Sir Thomas Maryon Wilson convened the land to the Charlton parish for a National Society school. Opened in a Gothic structure in 1862.  Lot of problems with children from poor families leaving to work, and not able to pay, etc.  In 1892 infants were moved to a building on the future church site. When the local school board was set up they found the school needed a lot of repairs. It was closed and  the building was later leased as a factory.
Guy Hurrell. In 1928 Hurrel bought the old national school premises. He had a works in Blackheath where he refurbished machines and manufactured the Hurrell Homogeniser.  The firm flourished and Hurrell invented several more useful things. The works was bought up by Stones in 1946 and Hurrell moved to Strood
Methodist Chapel. This was built in the 1880s with donations from Siemens among others. It was for Methodists in the Woolwich Cifcut.ghe building had a tower to the side and community facilities. The church was totally destroyed by bombing in 1940. The site was eventually sold to the Roman Catholic Church
Methodist Chapel. An iron chapel with a schoolroom was built on the corner with Hardens Manorway in 1847. The congregation eventually moved to the other side of the road and the building was sold to the Salvation Army.
Salvation Army Citadel. This was on the site of the old Methodist chapel. A citadel style building was erected here in 1847. It closed in 1908 and was eventually demolished for road widening.
757 The Victoria.  Built in about 1860 and rebuilt in 1909 by Truman. It has a bad slope to the floor but is notable for the two large Truman eagles in bas relief on the exterior. Closed and very very derelict
765 The Royal Greenwich UTC is a University Technical College, for 14 - 19 year old students to GCSEs and A-levels alongside technical qualifications. It is sponsored by Transport for London and Wates Group. A new three-storey building designed by Walters & Cohen forms the entrance, admin and general teaching building.  The rest is in a reconditioned single-storey warehouse dating from 1957.
Westminster Industrial Estate.  This is on part of the site of the Siemens works. The majority of the factory was to the north
Maryon Park School. This was a London School Board School on Bowater Estate land – a pig farm was being operated from an existing house on the site. It was expensive to build on marshy ground but it opened in 1896.  Extended in 1910. In the Second World War it was used by Siemens detachment of the Home Guard. After the War it became a girls' secondary school with junior mixed and infants. It was closed in 1954 and became an annexe to Charlton Secondary school for Boys.  But closed finally in 1961.  It was then modernised and became the upper schools of the Charlton schools. It finally closed in 1981 and the pupils were transferred to Westcombe Park Road.   Became College of Further Education.
Woolwich College of Further Education. When Maryon Park School closed the building was adapted into an adult college. It opened in 1983 for City and Guilds, O levels etc.  A handsome multi-gabled London School Board building of 1896 with twin turrets
Windrush Primary School. This is now in the old Maryon Park School/ FE College buildings
St.Catherine Laboure. Roman Catholic Church. This was built on the site of the bombed Methodist church. It was intended to be a chapel of ease to st.Peters in Woolwich but the site was very small. Eventually the petrol company who had bought the adjacent site agreed to sell giving enough space for a building and also agreed to build a retaining wall against slippage from Maryon Park to the rear. The church was built in 1961 by Walters & Kerr Bate plus a parish hall at the back.
Glen-Mohr House. On the site where Maryon Park School was later built was a club house with stables and bowling alley. Previously home of Squire Harrington who owned a sawmill and of Lewis Glenton.

Sources
853. Web site
Bird. The Port of London
Charlton Average. Web site
Charlton Champion. Web site
Charlton Society. Walks
Chelsea Speleological Society. Newsletter
Derelict London. Web site
Field. Place Names of London
Kent Rail. Web site
London Borough of Greenwich. Local List 
London Encyclopaedia
London Mural Preservation Society. Web site.
Metropolitan Borough of Greenwich.  Festival Brochure
Nature Conservation in Greenwich
Pound Park Nursery. Web site
Smith. History of Charlton
Spurgeon. Discover Woolwich
Spurgeon. Discover Greenwich and Charlton,
South East London Industrial Archaeology
Voice of the Valley


Much of this square has depended on information contained in the late John Smith’s excellent  History of Charlton.  Thanks to him for this

Saturday, 27 December 2014

Railway from London Bridge to Gravesend - East Greenwich and North Charlton


Railway from London Bridge to Gravesend
The railway runs north eastwards through Westcombe Park Station and beyond

Industrial and suburban area a world away from 'Royal Greenwich' to the west

Post to the west East Greenwich
Post to the east North Charlton
Post to the north Silvertown
Post to the north Charlton Angerstein


Aldeburgh Street
Anglo-American Oil Company’s works on north side of the street and extended to the Thames. The company shipped lamp oil branded as "Royal Daylight" from America to the United Kingdom. Standard Oil Trust owned Rockefeller in the USA. In the UK they used the brand name of Pratts. In 1935 they became the Esso Petroleum Co Ltd.  They were on this site alongside the Angerstein railway with a riverside wharf from at least the 1890s until the 1960s.

Anchor and Hope Lane
United Glass Works.  This large works took up the majority of the space between Lombard Wall, the riverside, Anchor and Hope Lane and what is now the line of Bugsby’s Way. There were also numerous rail sidings branching from the Angerstein Railway.  The works began as Moore and Nettlefold in 1907 using traditional blown glass methods. In 1919 they moved to Silvertown and the site was taken over by United Glass. They rebuilt the site and installed an Owens Automatic bottle making system, making about 200 million bottles a year, exported by barge and using sand from Redhill. In the Second World War they supplied all London’s milk bottles as well as many wartime bottle needs. The works was bombed on several occasions.  After the war medicine bottles for the new NHS was a major manufacture and the Owens system was replaced with something even faster. In the early 1960s plastic bottles led to a huge fall in production and some of the works closed. The whole works closed finally in 1966 with production transferred to Harlow. The site extended over the square to the north.  Since then other works have moved onto the site – those to the north will be on a different square.
Hilton Transport. Some of the UGB site was bought in 1967 to Hilton Transport for warehousing. Ralph Hilton had built up the firm from a beginning as a lorry driver.  The existing buildings were demolished and a big new complex erected. A large building used by Harvey’s and land in Bugsby’s Way was added and took over other local haulage companies. Eventually everything went wrong, the company name changed to Roadships. The site was eventually taken over by Laings to become the Meridian Trading Estate
Lombard Trading Estate. On the site of the United Glass Works

Angerstein Railway
Angerstein Branch Railway Line. This line which runs north on an embankment to the river from a junction west of Charlton Station. The railway was constructed for a grandson of the original and more Angerstein who obtained powers for the construction of a single-track railway 79 chains long to run from a junction with the South Eastern Railway between Blackheath and Charlton Stations. This was a rare, maybe unique, instance of a private individual obtaining an Act of Parliament for railway construction –only necessary because of the bridge over Woolwich Road, the rest being on private land. It runs on an embankment which has said to be built by spoilt from the Blackwall Tunnel – which is clearly impossible since the tunnel was not built until the 1890s. It opened in 1852 and was leased to, and worked by, the South Eastern Railway from the out-set. The lease was renewed in 1853 and 1879 and South Eastern finally bought the freehold in 1898. The line was later doubled from north of the Woolwich Road Bridge and served sidings to many factories including the South Metropolitan Gas Works in addition to its own riverside Angerstein Wharf.  It was electrified in 1959.

Angerstein Triangle
The area lies at the junction of the North Kent Line from Blackheath Station which curves to enter Charlton Station and meets the later line from Westcombe Park at Angerstein Junction. The Angerstein Line curves between the two and then turns north. This is in an area of old chalk workings with steep cliff faces on the eastern side.  From the Angerstein Line a network of sidings ran south to an industrial area.
Angerstein Junction. When built the junction faced Blackheath but now faces Charlton station
Angerstein Works. The South Eastern Railway signal works was situated near the junction north of Blackheath Tunnel: the Greenwich to Charlton line. South Eastern built their own signal frames here from the 1860s. Painters and other staff also worked from here.
Police Pound.
Old chalk pit.  Trees and herbs with bracken and sycamore woodland.  Birds and animals.
Bernard Ashley Drive
Housing on the site of the original Johnson and Phillips Works.

Blackwall Tunnel Southern Approach
Woolwich Road roundabout. The tunnel approach, built in the late sixties, is here carried on a flyover across the Woolwich Road. This was approved in an Act of 1963 and was the largest structure in the scheme.  It has five spans, is 70 feet long and has ‘low voltage road heating’.

Brocklebank Road
A road built across marshland in the 1980s to access trading and industrial areas. Named for a 19th shipping magnate
Brocklebank Industrial Estate. An industrial park with terraced units, steel frames and roller shutter doors occupied by light industrial and trade businesses. It has now been closed to allow for development of large retail units.

Bugsby's Way
The road was built across marshland by London Borough of Greenwich and opened in 1984.  The name is taken from Bugsby’s Reach - the area of the river with which it is parallel - Bugsby's Reach
Meridian Trading Estate. On the site of the United Glass Works followed by the Hilton Transport Depot. It is now home to a variety of industrial and trading concerns.
Greenwich Shopping Park (ASDA etc). This site is mainly on Harveys Engineering works site which fronted on Woolwich Road.
55 Sainsburys. This ‘telly tubby Sainsburys’ store was a ‘flagship of Eco-design’ by architect Paul Hinkin in 2000. It scored the highest ever official environmental rating for a retail building with a perfect 31 out of 31 points, and was the first store to be awarded a BREEAM Excellent rating. It was shortlisted for the Stirling Prize, was a Design Council Millennium Product, won the RIBA Journal Sustainability Award, won a RIBA Regional Award 2000, won the Design Museum’s Design Sense Award, won Retail Week Store Design of the Year 2000 and was Channel 4 Building of the Year People’s Choice 2000. It is scheduled to be demolished.
Railway Bridge. This carries the Angerstein Line across the road and was built at the same time as the road. It is a double bridge although the line is single track.
Odeon Cinema. Originally opened as The Filmworks, this was a multiplex promoted by United Cinemas International. It opened in 2001 as a fourteen screen cinema. Architecturally it was ‘Industrial’ with ducting for the air conditioning and all beams and joints left exposed. It was taken over by Odeon Theatres in 2006 and renamed.

Combedale Road
Westcombe Park Police Station. Opened 1885. It closed to the public in 1990 and subsequently was sold. The building is now flats.
Denham Street
Coach garage.   This was most recent used by Lewis Coaches who have since moved to Plumstead.
Greenwich Pump and Plant Co. were here in the 1950s

Dupree Road
Mission. This was a branch of the London City Mission following open air evangelism by Richard Tyndall. The hall was built in 1896. When Tyndall died a plaque was put on the building – this has now been lost. The Mission finally closed in 1969 and was used as a clubroom and store by Johnson and Phillips. It was demolished in 1970.

Fairthorn Road
A passage between houses leads to steps going to level crossing on the Angerstein railway. This is said to have been provided for workers from Combe Farm.
Warehousing. New housing on the site of warehousing replacing land which was part of the Johnson & Phillips Victoria Works. This section was from 1919 the site of the company sports and social club, including, in the Second World War, broadcasts for Workers Playtime. The hall was demolished in 1969 after the takeover by Delta Enfield.

Farmdale Road
Before the construction of the motorway Farmdale Road was parallel to what is now Westerdale Road. Current Farmdale Road runs from Woolwich Road between the Blackwall Tunnel Approach and the Angerstein Line.  It is in fact the remains of the northern end of Westcombe Hill – which is now on a new route.  At the bottom of the road was until the late 2000s a traffic signal pad embedded in the road which had worked traffic lights at the junction of two major roads.
Coombe Farm – the road is built on some of the area of Coombe Farm.
Feltram Way
Charlton Tram Repair Depot. A.L.C.Fell was the General Manager of the London County Council Trams when the Depot began operations here in 1906/7. It was the central maintenance depot for London County Council Tramways with a layout based on the erecting shop at Swindon Great Western Railway works. Some track and turntable remained after demolition. It was also called Charlton Overhaul Works and closed in 1960.
Airfix. Airfix dated form after the Second World War releasing a plastic kit, for a tractor in 1949 and subsequently buying up many older firms. The name of their railway models range was altered to GMR, which stood for 'Great Model Railways', and the assembly line was to be in the old Charlton tram depot – where the word AIRFIX was in giant letters along the gables. By 1980 the models were ready for production but the Airfix empire was crumbling. They had acquired Meccano Ltd and the money used to save that company meant Airfix slid into receivership. The buildings were later demolished.

Fossdene Road
Fossdene School. This was built in 1895 by the London School Board. It is the earliest known example of a standard design for Schools by TJ Bailey. It has a combined laundry/cookery/schoolkeeper's building, handicraft block and boundary wall. A southern end range was never built. There are panels with '1895' under the top floor windows and entrances with lintels inscribed 'Girls' and 'Infants' between scrolls. There are panels in the pediments with the School Board for London monogram and 'Fossdene Road School'. Inside is a standard Board School plan with a hall, with classrooms leading off.

Frank Burton Close
New housing in road named for Cllr.Frank Burton who was Councillor for Marsh and Trafalgar Wards, but also took up many issues concerned with Charlton.  The close was built soon after his death in 1989 and is on the site of an eastern extension of Johnson and Phillips Victoria Works.

Halstow Road
Halstow Road Primary School. This began in the early 1890s as Halstow Street (Senior Mixed) School built by the London School Board and designed by T.J.Bailey.
Helicon Mountain. Entrance to pretend station converted from garages.

Gallions Road
Sykes Pumps. Sykes had been started in 1857 in Upper Thames Street and became a manufacturer of pumping and other heavy equipment. In 1928 they set up a factory in Charlton where they continued to make a range of pumps and winches.  They continued to expand but moved much of their manufacturing and assembly work out of London.  They are now part of Andrews Sykes and as such have moved to a site in Peninsular Park Road.

Horn Lane
Horn Lane was an ancient ‘manorway’ to the river from the Woolwich Road. The current road name covers only the section south of Busby’s Way.
25 Royal Mail. Greenwich and Charlton Delivery Office.
See Woo. Chinese Supermarket. Issy, Stanley and Tony had come from Hong Kong in the 1960’s and opened a restaurant in 1969. They opened an oriental grocery store in 1975 expanding to more shops and warehouses. The opened a cash and carry in Greenwich in 1993 and have since continued to expand and won many awards.

Horn Link Way
This is the northern end of the old Horn Lane Manorway to the river, unused and abandoned
Inverine Road
Modern housing on the North West end of the road is on the site of some of the Johnson and Phillips Victoria Works

Lombard Wall
This road on the site of embankment constructed by William Lambarde in the 16th and which remained there until the 1920s. “Lambarde's Wall” had become corrupted to “Lombard Wall”. The embankment was to prevent flooding but marked the boundary between Greenwich and Charlton parishes.

Ormiston Road
54-56 Greenwich Mind Centre. This was originally the Greenwich Poor Relief station which in 1951 became the London County Council Minor Ailments Centre transferred here from Glenister Road School in 1951 and moved away in 1953. It was later a Social Rehabilitation Centre providing support for physically handicapped and blind people

Peartree Way
Angerstein Business Park. This is said to be the site of the Angerstein Athletic Ground which is said to be Charlton Athletic Football Club's first proper ground, shared with Deptford Invicta Football Club.  They played here until it was taken over as a petrol storage area during the Great War.h
Nature Reserve. This is a small site at the back of the Sainsbury’s store and built as part of a planning agreement with them. Due to be demolished.

Peninsular Park Road
A road built through the trading estates on the site of what was Harvey’s Engineering Works.
AndrewsSykes Pumps. In 2012 a new depot was opened mainly dealing in the hire of a wide range of heavy equipment deriving from Sykes Pumps and Andrews’s air conditioning, heating and other equipment.
BOC Gas. Depot for British Oxygen now part of the Linde Group and a major supplier of industrial and medical gases.

Plaxtol Place
This area to the north east of Westcombe Park station is now a small housing development, Mayston Mews
Sofnol Ltd.  This company made water softening materials from 1905 with offices here. This closed in the 1970s.
Arthur Martin. Tool and cutters makers. The firm was here from at least 1897 and were still there in 1958.   They probably closed in 1961.
Sperati Button Works. Cornelio Ambrosio Sperati founded this button wholesale business in 1856. Originally it was based in the City until 1961 when they moved here. Speratis distribute buttons, sewing thread and trimmings, manufacturers, the armed forces and the police. Now closed.

Rathmore Road
2a cable warehouse for Johnson and Phillips. Extended in 1923. Now converted into individual office units.
Riverside garage

Station Crescent
Westcombe Park Station. The station was opened by the South Eastern Railway in 1879 as part of the through line which connected the original London and Greenwich Railway to the North Kent Line between here and Charlton. The railway itself between Charlton and Maze Hill had opened in 1873, with Maze Hill as the terminus.
Footpath – a footpath runs through to Ormiston Road from the downside forecourt.
Westcombe Park Rail sides, woodland of sycamore and oak. 
Footbridge. A footbridge built in the 1960s as part of the works on the Blackwall Tunnel Approach leads from the down side of the station forecourt. This crosses the motor way on a high curve and descends to meet the footpath leading to steps and the crossing of the Angerstein Line to Fairthorn Road.
St. Cecilia’s Place. This is a conversion of a garage and workshop area into recording studios. It is part of the same development as Helicon Mountain and consists of a folly village based on Port Merion in Wales.  Owned and conceived by Jules Holland

Swallowfield Road
St Richards Church Hall and Centre. This was built in 1956 on the site of the Sundorne Mission Hall as a parish hall of Charlton, St Luke with a chapel below the main hall reached by steps through a wrought iron gate. .  It was designed by R.Covell of Covell and Matthews. All floors and fixtures are African hardwood, and there is artificial stone from Tetbury.  There is an altar with a statue of St.Richard. It is now used as a parish hall for St Luke’s. Chapel is closed. According to the Registry it had never been dedicated or consecrated although it is also said to have been dedicated in 1958 by the Bishop of Southwark.
Sundorne Mission. The church centre is built on the site of Sundorne Mission. In 1895 a site was leased from the Roupell Estate trustees to a Mr. Ruffell.  As a condition of the lease he built four houses on the site and also an iron mission building used by Brethren and members of the Evangelisation Society of London. It was opened in 1896. By 1903 arrangements were in place between Ruffell and Congregationalists and it was eventually given to them and as Charlton Congregational Church opened in 1904.   It was used by them until 1909 when they moved to their own purpose built church. The iron building was then sold to St.Luke’s parish Church who eventually demolished it in 1956,
28-34 houses built by Ruffell as part of the lease agreement on the Sundorne Mission
Scout Hut

Troughton Road
Called after Edward Troughton of Troughton & Simms whose works backed on to this road. It was previously Bettisfield Street.
Hartwell House. Built on the site of war damaged properties 1-27. Initially in 1947 there were prefabs on the site, replaced in 1949.
51-69 London Borough of Greenwich Housing built in 1977 on the site of Johnson and Phillips workshops themselves partly on the site of the Troughton and Simms Works.
New Covenant Church. This was previously the Rathmore Youth Centre, closed down in the 2000s. Outside are Gaudi like mosaics undertaken by Greenwich Mural Workshop. It was originally the Mission of the Good Shepherd.  It developed from Holy Trinity Mission which was run y the Greyladies College and this site was bought from the Roupell Estate. It was built to the designs of J.Rowland and dedicated in 1900. It attracted many young people and became known as Troughton Hall. It suffered bomb damage in the Second World War but was repaired through Urban Aid and became a youth centre.
Railway Electric Substation. This rotary converter substation was built in 1926 on the site of the station’s coal depot following electrification by the Southern Railway.  It is a three-storey high steel framed red-brick building on the ‘’down’’ side, at the end of an original single-track siding installed in 1873. This siding was, unusually, extended into the building.  It houses static transformers, 1500 KW converters plus switchgear.
Victoria Way
2-6 Ernest G. Bond Ltd. Printers. This site has now been replaced by flats
Johnson and Phillips. Victoria Works. In 1875, the Walter Johnson and Samuel Phillips set up business in a small building called Victoria Works on the west side of the road and north of the railway line. They also took on a City office as ‘Telegraph and Electric Engineers’.  They began making telegraph cable but expanded into other related products. In 1877 they opened a large workshop to make electric wire and cable. Sixty years the works later had expanded into a large public concern employing hundreds of workers. In 1906 land was bought from the railway to expand the works.  At the end of the Great War houses in Fossdene and Inverine Roads were bought and demolished to expand the factoory.  By 1930 both partners had died but the firm continued to expand. Much of the works was demolished following a V2 rocket attack in 1945 however a lot of work had been done for PLUTO. After the war they made new breakthroughs in electric cable manufacture and sheathing. A tall circular tower built in 1966 could be seen throughout the area and housed extruded aluminium alloy tubing in a continual coil demolished. They were taken over by Delta & Enfield Ltd. in 1964. Most signs of Johnson & Phillips now gone but much of the   equipment they manufactured is still extant in electrical installations here and abroad. Most of the site was cleared in the late 1960s and much of it subsequently developed with warehousing.
Army hut – the last remains of the TA Centre alongside the Birches.  This was used by the 91st Cadet Battery, Royal Artillery

Westcombe Hill
Much of what we know now as Westcombe Hill at the northern end was adapted as part of works on the Blackwall Tunnel Approach.
Bus Gate. Installed in the late 2011 between Westcombe Hill and the slip from the Blackwall Tunnel Approach in order to give buses easier access to the roundabout
Hilton Abbey Ltd. Building contractors in what was St.George’s Hall Mission Rooms designed by Romaine, Walker and Tanner and built for Christ Church.
Railway Bridge.
Westerdale Road
Used to be a footpath which ran alongside Combe Farm. Combe Farm stood on the north side of the road alongside what was the Westcombe Hill on its east side. 
Combe Farm. This farm site was very ancient and Combe is mentioned as a settlement or even a village in the 13th. In 1328 30 householders are mentioned.  The farm is mentioned in records throughout the 16th and in 1531 Henry VIII bought it for Anne Boleyn. Later, famously, Samuel Pepys recorded an outbreak of plague there in 1665.  It appears to have been used as a Congregational meeting house in the mid 17th. It was then a large house with outbuildings including a bake house and a pastry house.  In the 18th it was leased by the Moore family, and later was purchased by one of the Angersteins who leased it to the Roberts family who ran it as a market garden. It was demolished in 1901.
9-11 a building in the rear gardens of these properties has often been cited as the last remaining building of Combe Farm. However it appears to have been built between 1869-1894 but shared a boundary with farm. This may have been a building used in connection with a laundry. The building is two storeys and one room deep with a covered way at the front.

Woolwich Road
Playhouse Cinema. This opened as The Charlton Picture Palace in 1915. By 1937 it had been re-named Playhouse Cinema. It was always independently operated. Still listed in 1940, it had been sold in 1938 to the dog track and demolished in 1950 to extend the Greyhound Stadium
Charlton Greyhound Stadium.  This lay east of Gallions Road and was opened in 1928 by Thomas Murphy an amusement contractor. The stadium opened in 1930 and introduced the first electric hare.  They later introduced the first mechanical tote. ‘The Charlton Stadium Company Ltd’ was wound up in 1936 and taken over by the ‘The Charlton Stadium (1936) Ltd’. Their programmes including boxing and in 1934 all in wrestling. In 1937 the stadium was completely rebuilt designed by Captain Meston and included an electric Union totalisator. By the end of the Second World War business was booming and totalisator turnover was over £1 million a year. In 1946 it was taken over by London Stadiums Ltd., and in the 1960s bought by the Greyhound Racing Association. The stadium was redesigned again with a new track and stand. The last race at Charlton was in 1971
Troughton & Sims. They were based west of Church Lane on a site covering both Troughton and Woolwich Road both now 1970s local authority housing. The firm moved here from Fleet Street in 1864 but the company originated in 1688. Troughton bought the business which made scientific and surveying instruments in 1782. Edward Troughton made several important contributions to astronomical instruments before 1831 when he retired. William Simms also made instruments notably for the East India Company and the companies merged. In Charlton they made instruments for observatories worldwide including the Altazimuth and the British National Standard was their idea. In 1920 the company was taken over and moved to York although the works in Charlton continued until 1924.  The buildings were taken over by Johnson and Phillips and demolished in 1970. The complex included a Mission Hall set up by William Simms which later became offices.
296 Rose of Denmark. The present building is on the site of beer house of 1889 which was taken over by Beasleys Brewery of Plumstead in 1898.  It was later modernised but suffered considerable blast damage from rockets in the Second World War.
Phipps House. Local authority flats built on the site of war damaged properties. Initially in 1947 there were prefabs on the site, replaced in 1949. Jack Phipps was a road sweeper who became a prominent local open air speaker on behalf of the Labour Party
325 Fire Station built on the site of Lombard Wall School. Opened in 1985.
Lombard Wall School. Erected in 1881 this was the first Board School to be built in Charlton. It began in iron buildings and was later built in London School Board style.  It was extended in 1894. In the 1920s it became a school for junior mixed and infants. In the Second World War it was used by the Auxiliary Fire Services, the Londoners Meals Service and the Air Raid Wardens. It suffered from blast from nearby rocket attacks.  In the later 1940s it became a secondary school and closed in 1980 having been amalgamated with Roan as a comprehensive.  Demolished in 1980
246 The Pickwick. This began as the Roupell Arms beer house in 1830 and was rebuilt in 1862 b. It was then named for the local ground landlord. It became a Courage House. In 1975 it was taken over by English Inns and Taverns and was renamed The Broom. It was renamed the Pickwick in 1978.
Harvey’s. This engineering company came from Lewisham where George Harvey was making zinc gutters and cisterns and wanted to expand. In 1911 he bought a market garden area in Charlton where he built a new works. He expanded through the Great War with munitions and other work to face a slump in 1919.  They began to make steel office future and began to expand.In the Second World War they made aircraft parts, flame-throwers, Wire Weaving Dept., Gasmask gauze and Perforation metal.   After the war they went back into office furniture, and also a wide range of metal products, some very large, and with a specialism in perforation.  They expanded and set up works in other areas. In 1970 they merged with Butterfield of Shipley.  However work gradually reduced and bits of the site were sold off to the Greater London Council and to private developers. The works eventually closed completely n the early 1980s.  Frontages of their office block remains in Holmwood Villas. Offices, large, red brick with white stone dressings, sunburst, and a clock. Workshops to the rear. Entrance to Harvey's, 1894.
Railway Bridge. This takes the Angerstein line over the Woolwoch Road and was the only element of the line which needed Parliamentary approval. And built in 1855
Woolwich Road Roundabout. The roundabout is below the flyover for the Blackwall Tunnel Approach road and takes the Woolwich Road under it.  Originally it was designed to take the Woolwich Road straight under the middle but the centre is now a dead area while traffic goes round it.  In the late 1990s Peartree Way was added as an additional road feeding into the roundabout and new slips were added from the motorway.  It is owned y Transport for London and a series of modifications have been made to it since its construction. 
108 Angerstein Hotel. Large pub. Built in 1888 and trading since 1891. Named after the 18th business man and dignitary John Julius Angerstein
East Greenwich Fire Station. Built 1901-2 by the Fire Brigade section of the London County Council Architect's Department and probably designed by H. F. T. Cooper.  There is also a low engine house projecting between splayed wings. Above are married quarters. Closed. In 1985.  It became the Greenwich Hotel and apparently acts as hostel accommodation
East Greenwich Library. Built in 1905 with a Carnegie gift. Designed by S. R. J. Smith.  This was the main public library of the Metropolitan Borough of Greenwich and included a flat for librarian as well as extensive offices and other accommodating. It was extended in 1911 but in 1999 this extension fell down.  The library was partly let to Greenwich Community College but its structural problems gradually became more apparent.
96 Icthus New Life Church. This new church replaced an older Baptist Chapel along with a set of flats for the elderly.

Sources
Airfix. Web site
Anglo American Oil. Wikipedia. Web site
Borough of Greenwich. Web site
Bygone Kent
Carr. Docklands History Survey
Charlton Society. Charlton Walk
Cinema Treasures. Web site
English Heritage. Web site
Fossdene Road School. Web site
Greenwich Industrial History blog
Greenwich Industrial History Newsletter
Halstow Road School. Web site
Kent Rail. Web site
Kent Underground. Newsletter
Lewis’s Coaches. Web site
London Borough of Greenwich. Local List
London Rivers Association. Reports.
London Tramways. Web site
Ludlow. Combe Farm Greenwich
Ludlow. Whats In a Name. Road names in Greenwich.
Metropolitan Borough of Greenwich. Festival brochure,
Pevsner and Cherry. South London
Royal Mail. Web site
See Woo. Web site
Smith. History of Charlton, 
Southern Railway Magazine
South East London Industrial Archaeology
Spurgeon. Discovering Greenwich and Charlton
St.Richards Church Hall. Web site
Westcombe Park Police Station History. Pamphlet
Westcombe Park Station. Wikipedia. Web site

Tuesday, 23 December 2014

Railway London Bridge to Gravesend. East Greenwich

Railway Line from London Bridge to Gravesend
The line turns slightly north east on this section

Riverside industrial area with 19th workers housing

Post to the south Maze Hill
Post to the east East Greenwich and North Charlton
Post to the west Cubitt Town and Highbridge and Ballast
Post to the north Greenwich Marsh

Annandale Road
Calvert Road Schools. This was a London School Board School. A bell was supplied to the school in 1884. Parts of the entrance gates are incorporated into the new housing on site.
Annandale Primary School. The school was built in 1967 by the Inner London Education Authority and replaced a previous Annandale School and Calvert Road Schools. It closed in 2000 and became Millennium Primary School on a different site. The school site between Annandale and Calvert Road is now private housing.

Armitage Road
The road was originally built in the 1880s and had two small blocks of London County Council houses called Armitage Cottages. The east side of the road and the northern end were rebuilt as part of the Greater London Council’s Caletock Estate in the 1970s.
Caletock Hall. Tenants Hall. Demolished and now housing on the site.
Collerston House. Housing for elderly people on to the corner with Woolwich Road. The name is a reminder of Collerston Road which previously ran through the area.


Azof Street
Mission Hall.  This small hall appears to have originated as a Baptist church. Demolished and replaced by housing.
East Greenwich United Reformed Church, Rothbury Hall, Built as a Congregational mission hall in 1893 by W. T. Hollands. It has a large upper hall with an exotic roof-line. It was paid for by arms dealer, Josiah Vavasseur, whose Blackheath house was also called Rothbury. It is in current use by arts organisations. The church garden to the east is now a tyre dealer. Inside stained glass windows related to local towns.


Banning Street
The original name of the street was, Chester Street from Durham mining area town, Chester le Street.
Waterside Gardens Estate. Greenwich Wharf. This site now under development as housing by London and Regional Properties was part of the area of Greenwich Marsh. The Marsh was a discrete area with a gate on the riverside at the present end of Pelton Road. Before the 1840s this was Dog Kennel Field and Great Meadow and owned by Morden College since 1680.
Tide Mill.  The remains of a late 12th tide mill were found in 2008 on the part of the site known as Granite Wharf.  It has been assumed that this was associated with St.Peter’s Abbey, Ghent, the then site owners.
Greenwich Wharf.  The area between the junction with Pelton Road and the Enderby Wharf boundary was developed for Morden College from 1838 as Greenwich Wharf by William Coles Child. It was subdivided into parcels and let to various operators.
Lovell’s Wharf. The area later known as Lovells Wharf was operated as a coal import facility by Coles Child from 1841, with a lime burner as a sub tenant. From 1852 the wharf was managed by Rowton and Whiteway manage the wharf for Coles Child. From 1900 it was operated by John Waddell and Co. as a coal wharf. An ice well on the site was operated by Ashby. Coles Child lease expired in 1919
Shaw Lovells. Shaw Lovell, from Bristol took over the wharf from 1911. They operated a wharfage business with an emphasis on metal transshipment eventually hosting the London Metals Exchange on site. In the 1960s they built a computer centre and office block in Banning Street on the corner with Pelton Road. They ceased using the wharf in the early 1980s but two Butters Scotch Derricks remained and were occasionally used until their demolition by Morden College in 2000. This was a safeguarded wharf from the 1900s until quashed by the Mayor of London around 2000.
Granite Wharf. This was separate from Greenwich Wharf from 1852. It was let as a Stone Wharf to Mowlem, Burt & Freeman paving contractors, 1852. It is here that the Great Globe at Swanage was manufactured. In the 20th the operation of the wharf devolved to Wimpey Asphalt Roadstone, and in the 1980s to Tarmac. The wharf remained operational for transit of aggregate until after 2000 when the lease was terminated by Morden College.
Providence Wharf.  This wharf was operated by Hughes, barge builders. They later became Tilbury Contracting and Dredging Co. and later Tilbury Lighterage leaving the wharf in the early 20th
District Board of Works Wharf. This later became Badcock Wharf. John Badcock, barge and lighter repairs
Thames Craft Dry Docking Services. These are now on Badcock’s Wharf. One of the few remaining boat repair facilities on the Thames. Supposed to be moving to Bay Wharf.
Piper’s Wharf.  James Piper took over the wharf in the 1890s and built a series of outstanding sailing barges here. From the 1940s as Piper Marine Engineering they undertook barge repairs until the mid 1980s.
Thomas Scholey. Barge owners and operators working from Pipers Wharf and later from Dawsons’ Wharf from at least the 1880s until at least the 1950s, they were Motor, Sailing and Dumb Barge Owners Licensed Lightermen, and Wharfingers
Dawson’s Wharf. James Piper took over Dawsons Wharf in 1890.
Thames Foundry.  This was on the west corner with Derwent Street in the 1860s. P.M.Parsons had this site to make his white brass, and other products.
Albion Mustard Mills 1867
Bellott Street
Flavell and Churchill. They are listed from the 1930s as engineers but in the 1950s as a chemical works. They eventually moved to Birmingham,
Blackwall Lane
Formerly Marsh Lane this traditionally ran from the cross roads with Woolwich Road to the river at the north end of the Peninsula. Its current line is from the cross roads to the roundabout with John Harrison Way. Some buildings once in Blackwall Lane are now either in Tunnel Avenue or the Blackwall Tunnel Approach.
2-12 Greenwich Town Social Club. Probably built 1910 for W.Mills
33 building owned by Greenwich Council used in the 1990s for youth advice and associated work. Demolished
94 block of Buildings belonging to the London County Council called West View Cottages which stood near the junction with Tunnel Avenue. Demolished 1962
Meantime. The brewery was founded in 2000 by Alastair Hook who had trained at the University of Munich. It moved to Blackwall Lane in 2010. The company believes that in the UK beer manufacture has been concentrated in the hands of a smaller number of ever bigger brewers losing our cultural heritage of beer in the process. There is a Visitor's Centre attached to the brewery which runs tours.
Harrison Barber Knackers Yard. In business late 19th early 20th.
Cawood Wharton Co making concrete building blocks.  Founded in 1922 and closed 1990s. They were based north of the flyover
Alfred J Gay. Paint works
United Lamp Black Works
Glenister Secondary School. This was a London School Board School dating from before 1906 and apparently originally East Greenwich The Meridian Senior Council School and then East Greenwich Glenister Road Council School. As Glenister Road School it was a Special School for Boys and later called Vanbrugh Special School.  The building is now Christchurch Primary School with an address in Commerell Street. Also with an address in Blackwall Lane in the 1960s was Riverway Secondary School also a special school for boys. It is not clear if this is the same school or a different school to the north.
Vanburgh Primary School. This is also shown with an address in Blackwall Lane and do have been on site 1903 – 1961. It is not clear if this is a school nearby the Glenister School site (where there were many buildings) or a forerunner of the school on what was the original site of the Robert Owen Nursery

Blackwall Tunnel Southern Approach
The current approach road to the Blackwall Tunnel was built in the late 1960s. The road

Braddyll Street
Houses on the Morden College estate. At the north end cottages were designed by Richard Bond, and others by George Smith 1851-2

Bugsbys Way
The road was built by London Borough of Greenwich and opened in 1984.

Cadet Place.
This was originally called Paddock Place.
Cyclopean Wall.  A wall of random stone ran down the western end of the path as the boundary to Granite Wharf.  The stone was assumed to be made up of pieces from Mowlem’s stone yard and has been described as a demonstration of the stone trade in the English Channel in the 19th.  A sanitised version of this made up of stones from the wall is now displayed on the riverside.

Calvert Road
9-19 Calvert Road Cottage Homes. These began around 1901 and run by the local Union adjacent to the workhouse. They could house 50 children and worked with the Hollies homes at Sidcup.

Chevening Road
East Greenwich Pleasaunce. Named after the former Royal Palace of Pleasaunce. A formal, tree-lined garden - is a quiet haven that contains a burial ground for around 3,000 sailors who lived in retirement at the Royal Hospital Greenwich including some who fought in the Battle of Trafalgar and the Crimean War whose graves were removed from the Hospital site in 1875 and reinterred here. In 1926 it was sold to the Metropolitan Borough of Greenwich, the Admiralty reserving rights of further burials. Today, there is a small children's playground), a mother-and-toddler drop-in centre, a community orchard, a cafe and a war memorial
Infant Welfare Centre. This was opened by the Metropolitan Borough of Greenwich opened in 1931. It is now a commercially run nursery.

Christchurch Way
The northern portion of this street was called Waldridge Street – after a coal mining complex in the Chester le Street Area. The southern end was Church Road East. Later the whole street was Christ Church Street
Houses at the southern end were built by Coles Child for Morden College and designed by George Lewis in the early 1859s. Houses and flats on the east side going north were built for Morden College in the 1960s and those at the far north end, west side, adjacent to the Alcatel Works were built by Pipers for their workers. Maisonettes on the west side show the Morden College coat or arms at gable level.
Entrance to Alcatel Works. Historically this was marshland used in the 17th as a government gunpowder depot and testing facility. The site, on which a rope walk had been built, was later taken over by the Enderby seafaring family, and used it for sail and rope making in connection with their whaling business which extended into exploration of Antarctica.  In 1845 their works were destroyed by a fire but they subsequently built Enderby House which is still extant but ruinous. The site was then sold to cable makers Glass-Elliot & Co – who merged in 1864 with the Gutta-Percha Co to form Construction and Maintenance Company (Telcon) Gutta-Percha was used to insulate telegraph wires and its under sea use followed and a telegraph cable was successfully laid from Dover to Calais in 1850.  Cable making continued on site and it became the main manufacturer and supplier of submarine telegraph cable world wide. Cyrus West Field an American entrepreneur, promoted a trans-Atlantic cable in 1857. This cable was unsuccessful but in 1865 Brunel’s Great Eastern was used as the cable layer. The next year saw a fourth cable laid successfully – and the third cable also completed. Although initially transmission through these cables was slow and used Morse code, research and developing technologies led to gradual improvement. In the 1920s Telcon who developed Mumetal and later coaxial cable. By 1950s repeaters were being added and these had Development led to transoceanic systems for over 5000 telephone channels in 1970s. Then optical fibre was developed – by Charles Kao who has subsequently been awarded a Nobel Prize, and the first experimental lengths were made at the Greenwich site. Traffic now is digital, mainly for the internet, and capacity is quoted in megabitlsec or gigabitlsec. The Greenwich site is now owned by Alcatel-Lucent still producing terminal equipment for subsea cable systems However, the riverside half of the site, which includes Enderby House, is being redeveloped with flats.
Christ Church School. This was originally a national school attached to Christ Church adjacent. The school is now in an old London School Board building in Commerell Street and this building became the East Greenwich Community Centre. It was later taken over by the Forum@Greenwich based in the old church building

Collerston Road
This road ran parallel to Armitage Road and was built in the 1880s. It disappeared when the area was redeveloped in the 1970s.  The name remains at Collerston House in Armitage Road.
Collerston Cottages – these were two small blocks of London County Council flats which previously stood in the area.

Colomb Street
This was called George Street until the late 19th.
91 Vanbrugh Tavern. The pub dates from 1889 when the road was extended southwards beyond Walnut Tree Road. It was called the Duke of Edinburgh until the 2000s – before which it was eccentric and very, very dirty.


Commercial Way
This road was built in the 1990s as part of the development of an area of Gas Company owned sports fields and allotments into a shopping complex. It runs along the southern perimeter of the area and parallel to a stretch of the Millennium Busway which is in front of large retail units.


Commerell Street
43 Robert Owen Early Years Centre.
45 Christchurch School. Christ Church Church of England Primary School is now in the buildings of what was Glenister Road School. It was originally in Christ Church Way in buildings now used as a community centre.
St Joseph’s Roman Catholic Primary School.  The school moved here into temporary buildings on what had been a bomb site after 1963.  It had previously been on the corner with Pelton Road in buildings later used as a community centre. In 1963 it had amalgamated with St Anne’s School from Crooms Hill.

Dandridge Close
Local authority housing on the site of Arthur Dandridge’s builder’s yard.
Denham Street
Depot and garage used by Lewis Coaches until 2012.
Derwent Street
Street named after a Tyne tributary on the area of Greenwich Wharf developed by Coles Child.
Earlswood Close,
Houses built by the Greater London Council in 1970s around a new green.
Earlswood Street
This was originally called Edward Street.
Enderby Street
This was originally called Newcastle Street as one of the road names on the Coles Child Estate from mining areas.

Flamsteed Estate
Estate built before the Second World War by the London County Council.  Some blocks rebuilt following V1 rocket attack in the Second World War
Community Centre. Converted laundry, now derelict.
Hadrian Street
Was Northumberland Street on the Coles Child estate and named from a colliery area.

Hatcliffe Street
Built in 1847 between Marsh Lane and Lower Woolwich Road on Hatcliffe Charity land

Kossuth Street
Built on the Coles Child Estate this was originally Wellington Street.

Lassell Street
This was originally called Marlborough Street
Gothic Row – this was an earlier name for the stretch of road between Old Woolwich Road and
Trafalgar Road. The shops on the east side remain – now art galleries – but the original cottages on the west side have been replaced with a nursery and flats.
Light industrial units. On the west side of the road between Old Woolwich Road and the river are industrial units which appear to be post Second World War.
Marlborough Hall, a redbrick building originally used by the Brethren. In the 1950s this was a print works.

Moseley Row
Name for Marian Moseley, local councillor died 1999
Old Woolwich Road
Junction with Lassell Street – on known as Marlborough Street, and Old Woolwich Road itself, west of the junction was Hog Lane. This is the site of the Tudor Hobby Stables – which was for horses which were smaller than those kept in the main royal stables.  On the 1867 map a small circle here is marked as “Pound” – an official enclosure for stray animals.
128 Duke of Wellington. Closed and turned into housing. Late 19th
47 Greenwich Auction Rooms. Post war factory building used in the 1970s by John Erdington & Co who made protectomuffs for refrigeration equipment.
Spring Gardens. This was on the north side of the road  opposite the Duke of Wellington Public House. Works for the manufacture of manure owned by Henry Howard and a Bridge Stondon.  The works included an engine house

Pelton Road,
The road is named for the two Pelton Colliers – Pelton Main and Pelton West – near Chester le Street in County Durham.  This is a main road in a layout planned by George Smith for Morden College, after 1838 and completed by 1865. Smith designed many of the houses and they were built by Coles Child. Terraces of houses had names connected to collieries, coal owners mainly in County Durham and on Tyneside.
Willow Wall Dyke. On a plan from 1838 there is a footpath along the line of where the road is now and a parallel drainage dyke going from the north part of Great Meadow and south Dog Kennel Meadow to the Woolwich Road.  This road was built to face on to and run on the line of what was old Willow Wall Dyke to Ballast Quay. The line of the dyke can be seen in the gardens on the south side of Pelton Road - there are no gardens on the north side. It is thought there may even have been a tramway down the line of the road. At first the old dyke stayed and the new houses faced it but then it was arched over in 1846
St.Joseph’s. This Roman Catholic Church was built to replace the old chapel in Clarks Buildings. It was in 1881 by H. J. Hanson.   A son of the better-known church architect J.A. Hansom. It was built by W. Smith of Kennington and opened by Cardinal Manning. It served a mainly Irish Catholic population, which had moved into the area. It has a lofty interior and its high roof is a landmark in the area although the planned tower was never finished.  In 1940, the church was damaged by bombing which lifted the roof off the building and a year later, incendiary bombs led to fires. In 1959, an extensive restoration took place and the sanctuary frescos were painted over. In 1962, an organ built c.1905 by Conachers of Huddersfield was installed, replaced an organ by Sweatman which had been destroyed by bombing.
School. In 1870 the old school attached to the Clarkes Buildings chapel was condemned by the School Board for London. A new school was built in 1873 at the corner of Pelton Road and Commerell Street. The architect was Henry John Hansom who had been in partnership with his father and District Surveyor for Battersea. It was damaged in war time bombing.  In 1963 the school moved to an adjacent site and the old buildings were converted to a parish club and social centre. In 2008, a planning application for its demolition of the old school building was refused. The building has however since been demolished.
Presbytery. This was built 1875, in the street corner opposite the school.
Parish Hall. In 1920 the parish bought old workshops adjoining the school fir a parish hall.
23 Pelton Arms. The pub dates from 1844, but following use in a TV show in 2000s has part signage as ‘The Nag’s Head’. 
67 Royal Standard. Dates from the mid-19th. Plastic Christmas reindeer are a permanent feature.
Robert Owen. Robert Owen nursery was originally here moving in the late 1990s. Some trees from its nature garden remain.
Peterboat Close
Trading estate and industrial units on the site of local authority depot, previously used for wartime prefabs

Rodmere Street
This was originally called William Street and built with housing before 1870 and seen as poor quality. There was a decision to clear it in 1937.
Housing built in the 2000s on a car park used by cinema patrons. This was on the site of wartime air raid shelters.
Salutation Road
Trading estate and industrial units on the site of local authority depot, previously used for wartime prefabs

Schoolbank Road
Road leading to Millennium School, to the north. Built 2000s.
Selcroft Road
Built 1880s and since demolished to become part of Greater London Council’s Caletock Estate
Southern Way
This is part of the Millennium Busway. This road on the Millennium Village is open to bus traffic only.  It was part of what was built as the Millennium Busway intended as a guided bus system to the Millennium Dome in 2000. The scheme failed and has only ever been used by London Buses.
Trafalgar Road
This road was laid out by the New Cross Turnpike Trust in 1824 thus providing a bypass and a link to the road to Woolwich and to Romney Road.
Christ Church. This was built for the new houses in East Greenwich, were laid out from the 1840s by Coles Child for the Morden College Trustees. It was designed, following a competition, by John Brown of Norwich. The main body of the church is now Forum@Greenwich, which began as a centre for disability support in the 1990s and now is mainly offices.  The church itself is in a modern extension built at the same time as the conversion.  There have been other extensions since. 
50 Royal Oak Pub. Demolished
82 Odeon. This was Trafalgar Cinema opened here in 1912. It had a tower and dome above the corner entrance. It was designed by Ward & Ward. By the 1920s it was managed by Greenwich Picture Palaces Ltd. In 1934 it was taken over by D.J. James and made to look more modern and the seating increased, the work was done by Leslie H. Kemp and F.E. Tasker. The theatre also presented variety shows and there were two dressing rooms. In 1937 it was taken over by Eastern Cinemas and in 1945 by Odeon Theatres Ltd. It was then renamed Odeon. It closed in 1960. The building was converted into a car showroom and later a cut price supermarket. It was demolished in 1998 and an office block and flats built.
Greenwich Baths.  These were opened on 1928 having been designed by Horth & Andrew of Hull.  There is a foundation stone visible to read at the front door. The internal fabric still shows signs of a varied history from the original pool hall to the decorative archways which gave the centre its name. It has since been redesigned as The Arches and is run by Greenwich Leisure Ltd. It has two pools and a gym.
90 Hardy's. This was previously called the Bricklayers Arms.  It dates from at least the 1850s.
114 Victoria. Demolished in 2006. Dated from at least the 1870s.
168 The London Bioscope Co. was a cinema in a shop conversion. It was operating by 1913 and closed around 1915. The shop is now a dry cleaners.
176 Crown. Dates from at least the 1850s
155 William IV. Dates from at least the 1850s.
Three Cups. Coffee Tavern
208 British Queen. Dates from the 1840. This became Ricks Bar but has since closed and been converted to a betting shop and flats.
234 Granada Cinema. Thus was opened by Gracie Fields in 1937. It was Designed by C. Howard Crane, with interior decoration by Theodore Komisarjevsky. It had a Wurlitzer 3Manual/8Ranks organ opened by organist Donald Thorne, and a fully equipped stage. It ran Bingo sessions from 1963 and full time from 1968. Later it became Stars nightclub. In the late 1990s flats were built inside with an internal decoration of tin can palm trees. Windows were added and a new glass roof to light a central atrium.  Initially a Chinese restaurant with large glass windows operated in some of the foyer area, but that failed and it has since remained derelict. The basement has also housed short lived bars and pole dancing establishments.
Tunnel Avenue
Tunnel Avenue was originally built as the approach road to the Blackwall Tunnel, passing, in this secretion, over an area used as a fireworks and ammunition factory. The road breaks at the crossing with Blackwall Lane but continues north westwards some distance to the north.
British Oxygen. This branch of the company supplied medical and industrial gases and was based west of the corner with Denham Street. It dated from before the Great War. There is now housing on the site.
Motorway Bridge. Bridge to the retail estate on the other side of the motorway built in the 1990s.
Rose Garden. Small planted area on the junction of with Blackwall Lane
Tunnel Avenue Depot. Works depot for the Metropolitan Borough of Greenwich. This included a road with a railed system where trucks took refuse to a jetty where it was tipped into barges and removed for disposal down river.  There was also a bathing and disinfection centre and a refuse destructor built in 1923. Some departments were moved here from Banning Street Board of Works site in 1918.  The site is now a trading estate. 2
Morden Wharf. This wharf has been used by a number of industrial units. Before the mid 19th the area was known as Great Pits and Little Pits.
Kuper Wire Rope works. Kuper came from Camberwell 9 1851.  The manufacture methods of wire rope could be adapted to cable.
Telegraph Cable Works.  Glass Elliott first moved to this site in the early 1850s taking it over from wire rope maker Kuper.  Their first cables were made here before they moved to Enderby Wharf to the south
Thames Soap Works. Wilkie and Soames. They moved onto the site in
1854. Soames were a prominent local family, involved in local politics and building a church.  They made carbolic soap here and a variety of heavy duty cleansers.
Molassine Works. Molassine made pet (Vims) and cattle food on a molasses and sphagnum moss base. The works was known for its vile smell.
Tunnel Glucose. The glucose works on the Peninsula dates from the early 1930s. They made a variety of specialist sugars.  In the 1970s the works was taken over by Belgian firm Amylum and then in the 2000s by Tate and Lyle. They sold to French based Syrol who demolished the works.
Sea Witch Pub.  This was at the end of Morden Wharf Road and on the site which was later the Tunnel Glucose Laboratories. It was bombed in the Second World War and demolished.
Tyler Street
Terrace housing built, like the surrounding streets, in an area once known as Tyler Town built by Mr. Tyler, previously market gardens, houses all bought up as investments and rented out, no main drainage but barrel drainage laid near the new church, improvement area of 1970s
Vanbrugh Hill
Greenwich District Hospital, Built in 1961 this has now been demolished.  Originally this was Greenwich Union workhouse, designed by Dinwiddy and built on the site of a field called Cats Brains. It became St.Alfege Hospital for Greenwich Board of Guardians and then transferred to London County Council and NHS. The 1961 hospital was an unusually large and experimental enterprise by the Department of Health and Social Security’s chief architect W. E. Tatton Brown. It was finally completed in 1976. It was closed in 2001 and the site is now housing with a planned leisure centre and library.
Health Centre. Built in 1976 by the Department of Health and Social Security. It has an A-frame with raking struts.

Woodlands Park Road
Maze Hill Pottery. This is the old downside booking office of Maze Hill station. There is a kiln at the back with a relic of the Erith based Doulton pottery. They make salt glazed ware which was traditional in this area
Woolwich Road
Before 1830 there was a small hamlet round cross roads at the bottom of Vanbrugh Hill and the top of Blackwall Lane. There was a tollgate at bottom of Vanbrugh Hill
1 Ship and Billet. For a while the pub was called the Frog and Radiator and is currently the Duchess Bar. Ship and Billet was a destination on bus blinds.
Wick Cottage. This was roughly on the site of the chip shop at the bottom of Glenforth Street.  It was the address for Robson's patent safety light factory used for signalling at sea. Robson also made fireworks and distress rockets
Blenheim Engineering. This company took over the Robson site and remained there until land was taken for the Blackwall Tunnel. They made fireworks and ammunition
Victoria Halls. This was a Wesleyan mission and stood on the eastern corner with Glenforth Street
6 Lord Napier Pub. Now a Chinese restaurant.
11 Old Friends Pub closed in 2010 and demolished.
18 Gatehouse to Royal Hospital Cemetery. This is now a private house.
Glenister Gardens. Small Park laid out on the edge of the Caletock Estate. It features the Mural which was on the Woolwich Road frontage of Greenwich District Hospital. It is by ceramicist Philippa Threlfall and designed from pebbles and ceramics in concrete it shows the history of Greenwich riverside.
Maze Hill Working Men’s Club. This has now closed and is a Japanese restaurant. It was built on the site of the Aylesbury Dairy and open space behind it was used for sports and briefly a public garden. It was earlier known as the Old Field. In the Second World War an underground air raid shelter was built there
The Cecil Rooms. This belonged to Christ Church and was used as a furniture depository during the Second World War. It later became a ballroom dancing school.

Sources
Banbury. Shipbuilders of the Thames and Medway
Borough of Greenwich. Web site
Bygone Kent
Cinema Theatres Association Newsletter
Cinema Treasures. Web site
Field. London Place names
Goldsmiths College. South East London Industrial Archaeology
Greater London Council. Riverside assessment
Greenwich Antiquarian Society. Transactions
Greenwich Peninsula History. Blog
Greenwich Society. Greenwich Riverside Walk,
London Borough of Greenwich. Local List, 
London Encyclopaedia
London Rivers Association. Reports
Mills. Greenwich Marsh
Mills. Greenwich and Woolwich At Work
Metropolitan Borough of Greenwich. Greenwich Guide 1951,   
Pevsner and Cherry. South. London
Port of London Magazine
Smith. History of Charlton
Spurgeon. Discovering Greenwich and Charlton
Taking Stock. Web site
Thames Basin Industrial Archaeology Group. Report