Wednesday, 23 December 2015

Riverside. South bank east of the Tower - Highbridge and Ballast


Riverside. South bank east of the Tower
Highbridge and Ballast

This post covers only sites on the south bank. Sites on the north bank are under Cubitt Town

Post to the north Blackwall
Post to the east East Greenwich
Post to the south Greenwich
Post to the west Millwall and Deptford Riverside

Anchor Iron Wharf
The Wharf is a made-up wharf, which does not follow the original line of the river bank, but is built out from it. The maximum depth of water alongside allows coasters to come in.  Following the clearing of industry and the building of modern flats the wharf has been opened up as a riverside space.  Previously the footpath and right of way went down a narrow inland passageway.
C. A. Robinson & Co. This was a scrap metal business Founded in 1835 that leased this site from Morden College in 1905 and remained here until the lease expired in 1985.  They also used Dowell's Wharf at Deptford Creek Bridge and at Granite Wharf downstream here. They dismantled old lighters and barges for their scrap metal content. Years ago the ships were loaded by hand-winch wicker basket, each basket holding a hundredweight and all cutting up of metal was done by hammer and cold chisel. Later oxyacetylene cutters were used and a hydraulic sheer
Plaque with some details of the Robinson family and their time here.
Anchor Iron 2004. This sculpture is by Wendy Taylor and was commissioned by Berkeley Homes.
Flats built by Berkeley Homes 2002. The ground floor was scheduled as a restaurant which has never opened


Ballast Quay
Ballast from Blackheath was loaded here having been brought from the pits in Maze Hill via Lassell Street. This may date back to dark ages/medieval ownership of the area by St. Peter’s Abbey, Ghent. 
Union Wharf – this was the name of the wharf from 1801 following The Act of Union (Ireland) Act of 1800. The street name can still be seen on No 19. It reverted later to the original name of Ballast Quay.
Cobbled road surface is seen as a survival of mid-Victorian granite setts.
Houses. Most of the current houses date from between 1804 and 1869 and were built and owned by Morden College, whose 'Invicta' ownership plaque can be seen on some of the houses.
6 Cutty Sark Tavern. This was originally called the Union Tavern .and dates from 1807-1809.  It was renamed when the Cutty Sark was brought to Greenwich and has since been altered and refitted – this was once a small single bar beer house.
Green Man. This was a predecessor pub to the Cutty Sark and stood slightly to the rear of the present building.
Thames Cottage. This was a weather boarded house on the site of Harbour Masters’ House. Demolished 1854
Harbour Masters House. This was built in 1855 as part of the regulatory framework for controlling collier ships in the river. It belonged to the Thames Conservancy who had leased it and Union Wharf in 1860. The office was open from 9 am to 7 pm and all collier ships had to report their and provide papers. The office worked closely with a similar office in Gravesend. Colliers were required to unload in rotation and this was monitored by the office. Other necessary paper work was also handled here and a register of vessels was also kept there... There was a fine of £10 for vessels which disobeyed instructions. The Conservancy relinquished the lease in 1890 when it was decided to abolish the central division of administration of the river. The house was then sold and let into flats.
East Greenwich Steamboat Pier.  The pier was built in 1845/6 by Coles Child and was apposite the Harbour Master’s House. A path leads to what was once the entrance to the office for the pier, which now, forms part of the Ballast Quay garden. The usage of this pier is not known but the mid-1840s were an era of intense competition among passenger steam boats companies and several short-lived piers were built. There were also standoffs with licensed watermen.  Any records of this pier are likely to have been confused with the better known and earlier Greenwich Pier in west Greenwich – since this one was so short-lived and obscure.
Union Wharf. Steps led down from the wharf to the foreshore and a causeway to the low tide level; a gridiron on the beach and a steam crane on the wharf were used for salvage and work on craft. When the Port of London Authority (PLA) was established in 1908 the wharf became the Port of London Wharf, and the post of Harbour Master here was abolished. For a short time the wharf had been surrounded by a high wall but in the PLA's time it was railed. There were railings around the house and the approach to the wharf. From the 1920s the wharf was used by the neighbouring Lovell's Wharf for import and export.
Steps – there is a modern metal ladder to access the foreshore via a secured gate. There is no sign of a causeway or traditional river stairs
Garden. In the mid-1960s the wharf became a garden for use by residents of the neighbouring houses set up by Hilary Peters. For a while residents ran a tea garden here. In the garden is a sculpture constructed from waste materials foraged from the river by artist Kevin Herlihy as a memorial to the millions of animals that were killed during the foot-and-mouth crisis of 2001.
Bollards. At the east end are two gun posts, used as bollards


Bear Lane
This ran between Park Row and East Street and is now part of Old Woolwich Road. It was at one time the main road into Greenwich from the east and superseded by the Turnpike and seen as dangerous.
4 The Kings Head. Demolished and gone

Collington Street
This is now a road running between two parts of a block of flats.

Crane Street
This was named for the crane which stood on a wharf on the site of the current Trafalgar Tavern.  There were houses here in the mid 17th.
11-13 Trafalgar Rowing Centre. This is the clubhouse for the rowing clubs. The building was previously a wire works.
Moss Wharf. R. Moss were Paper Stock Merchants. This was painted by Graham Sutherland in the 1920s with a sign saying that old rope was bought. R.Moss had a wharf here and bought old rope which he sold to the paper industry.
Globe Rowing Club. The club was formed originally at Stones Engineering Works, in Deptford and was called Stones Rowing Club with membership being restricted to employees of the company. boats were hired from local Waterman and because of costs broke away from the firm and set up headquarters in the Lord Clyde pub and was then known called the Clyde Rowing Club and later moved to the Globe and changed name again,. In 1938 the Globe pub was pulled down to make way for a new Town Hall and by 1947 boats were stored in an upstairs room at Brooke’s wharf. The club then purchased an Assault Landing Craft and it was moored by the Union Pub. In the mid 1950s the club moved from back to Tilbury Dredging Co. at Dreadnought Wharf and bought a Thames barge for our boathouse. A lot of things happened and then they moved to the Trafalgar Tavern in the 1960s so they ended up getting the council to buy Mr. Moss’s premises.
Curlew Rowing Club, Founded in 1866, Curlew has been in Greenwich without interruption for over 140 years. In fact there is evidence that the first regatta, at which a Curley crew rowed was in 1787. In 1866 a club was formed to rent the Crown and Sceptre Inn as its headquarters and stayed there until 1934. They then moved to the Trafalgar Tavern but moved in to the Rowing Centre in 2003.
5 Yacht. Used to be Watermen’s Arms And before that in the 1800s Barley Mow. Has an enclosed observation room overlooking the river and a terrace.
Greenwich Boat House owned by Corbett and Son. A considerable number of rowing clubs operated from here and Corbett apparently had a boat hire system, as well as being boat repairers and possibly boat builders.
Highbridge Drawdock. This stood at the end of what was East Street and marked the end of Greenwich ‘proper’. It is assumed there was a wharf here, with a ‘bridge’, hence ‘Bridge Street’ as the name of this part of East Street.


Crowley’s Wharf
This stretch was used by Sir Ambrose Crowley in the 17th. He has what was probably the largest ironworks in Europe on the outskirts of Newcastle. Here in Greenwich he maintained a warehouse and a wharf making it the headquarters of his business.  He also had a shop in the City and contracts with the naval dockyards and shipyards to supply items of all sorts, including for the slave trade. In the 18th the warehousing and business was taken over by the Millington family.
Old Court House. This was later called the Parsonage House. It is mentioned in the Ghent State Archives of 1286 and had a water supply from the Arundel Conduit. This was a guest house for the Ghent Abbey which owned Greenwich in the dark ages.  Until 1531 it belonged to the Prior of Sheen (Richmond) but in 1532 it was refurbished as a home for Anne Boleyn. It was demolished after 1695.
Tithe Barn. This stood adjacent to Old Court.
Church. There is thought to have been a church – All Saints – in this area in the medieval period.
Hobby Stables. These Tudor stables stood south of Old Court and were for small, or lively, horses. It was apparently built for Henry VIII in 1533-34.
Crowley House. This was on the current site of the power station. A predecessor house had belonged to John Gunthorpe. Gunthorpe was the Dean of Wells Cathedral and a monk. He held a nimbler of royal appointments and He managed to be Lord Privy Seal for Richard III and kept that position, and others, under Henry VII. He owned land in Greenwich and clearly didn’t spend much time in Wells.
Cogan – Crowley house originated with Sir Andrew Cogan in 1647.  He was an East India Merchant involved in the foundation of the British in Madras. As a Royalist he had to leave his half finished house which was confiscated. It was passed to Gregory Clement, one of the regicides, who installed in it plaster and glass said to have come form the palace
Crowley bought the house in the early 18th and it became his head office. It was later lived in by the Millingtons and eventually demolished in 1854,
Tramway Stables. These replaced Crowley House and were owned by the London County Council.
Greenwich Power Station. Built by the London County Council Architect's Department, General and Highways sections, for the London County .Council tramways in 1902-10. Commissioned by L.H. Rider the Authority Electrical Engineer. It is in Simple stock-brickwork on a monumental scale. The four tapering octagonal chimneys have been truncated at two-thirds height, because Objections from the Royal Greenwich Observatory meant the two chimneys on the landward site had to be reduced. Subsequently all chimneys reduced. There are dates on the rainwater hoppers but they vary from 1903 to 1908. Originally in 1906 had four generators and Manhattan type engines. It was the last station using slow speed reciprocating steam engines rather than turbines and replaced by steam turbines in 1922.   It supplied the whole tramway network for the London County Council. Originally fired by coal but later gas turbines for the London Underground.  It ran by remote control from Lots Road but that station has now closed.  It is still in use as the standby for London Underground. It was refitted in 2003 and about to be refitted again. On the west side is a large concrete coal bunker from 1927 but there are now oil tanks. There is also a separate switch house and fronting onto Hoskins ‘Street is the Pier Forman’s Lodge. There are several original tram tracks and walling.  It is the oldest power station still at work in Britain and possibly in Europe and effectively by the same operators.
Jetty – designed separately from the power station by Maurice Fitzmaurice and built 1903. .originally rails ran to the platform at the top which had cranes and was served by coal trucks.
Golden Anchor Pub.  This way has originally been a house in the 17th adjoining Crowley House. It was a venue for free masonry in the 18th. It closed in the 1900s and has since been demolished.
Golden Anchor stairs



Eastney Street
Was previously called East Street with the end section called Bridge Street leading to a landing stage. Until 1884 it was the northern boundary of the town of Greenwich.
Ernest Dence Estate. London County Council Estate built 1938. Ernest Dence had been chair of the London County Council in that year.

High Bridge
It is thought there was a bridge or pier here which may have been built at a high level to allow galley passengers to disembark.
Three Crowns pub demolished 1932. This was on the riverside on the east side of the draw dock.
Three Crowns Court which was a group of wooden cottages facing westwards. demolished.
Griffith and Co Lighterage. Warehousemen, lightermen and hauliers,1950s. Building in use by arts organisations and charities
W. H. Donovan, barge repairs in the 1950os
1-3 Alpha Towing Co, Ltd. .. Tug owners and operators
Trinity Hospital. Also called Norfolk College or the Earl of Northampton's Charity. It is managed by the Worshipful Company of Mercers. It was founded in 1613 by the Earl of Northampton as an almshouse – one of three, the others being at Clun and Shotesham. Another hospital still stands at Castle Rising.  It was built on the site if Lumley House which Howard had bought in 1609. The chapel has a 16th Flemish window of the Crucifixion, from a previous house owned by the Howard family. A monument to the Earl was brought here from his burial place in Dover in 1696. Major restoration to the Greenwich building was carried out in 1812 and the present exterior appears to date from then as does the rebuilding of the chapel.  There is a small area of landscaping on the public forecourt on the riverfront.  The Greenwich Meridian passes through the site of the Hospital and there are two recently commissioned sundials in the new Garden Building. In 2007 the accommodation was upgraded and the Garden building erected at the south end of the garden.
High tide.  Marks in the wall opposite the main gate of Trinity Hospital record exceptional high tides
Crown and Sceptre. Large riverside pub with a bridge over the road dating from at least the 1820s.  Demolished in 1934 but had previously been used by the rowing club. This was one of the principle hotels in the town.
Sand wharf



Hoskins Street
This was previously Bennett Street. Hoskins was a fisherman recorded in 1622. George Hoskins was a boat builder

Lassell Street
Was previously called ‘Marlborough Street’
24 The British Sailor. This pub has now been demolished.


Old Woolwich Road,
Woolwich Lower Road now Old Woolwich Road. This now covers the length of what was Bear Lane from Bear Yard and Bear Inn o there. Led into Hog Lane and with Back Lane formed the Woolwich Lower Road.  Site of old main road
60 Star and Garter, this dates from the 1820s
Site which was a derelict prefab at the corner of Old Woolwich Rd and Eastney Street was taken over by the Globe Rowing Club and built as their new boathouse. Now part of the school playground.
Garden Entrance to Trinity Hospital
Old tram track in power station entrance
Meridian Primary School. School Board of London school with caretaker’s house, bell tower and entrances ‘Boys’, 'Girls' and 'Infants'. It was built in 1888 by Robson and enlarged in 1903. Wall Plaque with 'London County Council, Old Woolwich Road School', Art and Industry Group' on the north gable. Curved cupola and pargetted gable, are typical of the more ornamental style of the 1890s
Lodge. Caretakers lodge alongside the school


Park Row
Trafalgar Tavern.  Built by Joseph Kaye in 1837 on the site of the Old George. Closed in 1915 and became an institution for aged merchant seamen, a workmen's club and flats. Reopened in 1965 and thenceforth said to be famous for whitebait suppers. Cast-iron balconies and bow windows with canopies. Restored as a restaurant in 1968 by Hendrys Smith. The function room upstairs can take 250.  The small bar is a replica of an 18th foc’s’le. Model of the Victory. Run by Greenwich Inc.
Nelson. The Nelson statue is by Lesley Pover and commissioned by Trafalgar owner Frank Dowling for the 200th anniversary of the Battle of Trafalgar. In 2012, the statue disappeared for a while.
Trident Hall. Built as a lecture theatre for the Royal Naval College and also used as an informal theatre by Royal Naval College Dramatic and Operatic Society and local amateur dramatic societies. Now apparently used as a store, maybe for Greenwich Inc.
Trafalgar Quarters. This was built in 1813 as offices and storerooms for the Royal Naval Hospital designed by the Hospital Surveyor John Yenn. There is a coat of arms on the frieze showing the Seamen’s Hospital Arms in Coade Stone.  It was used as servants quarters after the Hospital closed, and called Trafalgar Quarters. It became sheltered housing in 2001, owned by Greenwich Hospital Trust; administered, by the Church of England Soldiers and Sailors and Airmen’s Clubs.


Queen Street
Demolished for the Ernest Dence estate but the line of it runs through the estate
The Crown & Sceptre Tap was situated on Queen Street (this street ran from Old Woolwich Road to High Bridge). This pub has now been demolished.


Trenchard Street
Greenwich Hospital Estates housing built in 1913


Sources
AIM National Archive. Web site
Aslet.  The Story of Greenwich.
Ballast Quay. Web site
Banbury, Shipbuilders of the Thames and Medway
British Listed Buildings. Web site.
Bygone Kent 
Dockland
English Heritage. Web site
Field, Place Names of Greater London
Greenwich Industrial History. Web site and blog
Greenwich Industrial History Newsletter
Glencross.  The Buildings of Greenwich
GLIAS. Newsletter
Greenwich Chamber of Commerce
Greenwich Riverside Walk
Hamilton, Royal Greenwich
London Borough of Greenwich. Buildings of Local Architectural Interest
London Borough of Greenwich. Web site
London Encyclopaedia
London River Association Reports
London’s Industrial Archaeology
Nairn, Nairn's London
Nature Conservation in Greenwich,
Newcomen Society Transactions
Pastscape. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry South London
Platts. A History of Greenwich
Port Cities. Web site
Port of London Magazine
Real Ale in South East London.
Rhind and Watson. Greenwich Revealed
South East London Industrial Archaeology
Spurgeon, Discover Deptford and Lewisham,
Spurgeon, Discover Greenwich and Charlton
Summerson. Georgian London. 
Tadman. A Fisherman of Greenwich.
The Greenwich Phantom. Web site
Trafalgar Rowing Centre. Web site
Walford. Village London
Watson & Gregory, In the Meantime

Monday, 21 December 2015

Riverside, south of the river and east of the Tower. Peninsula west

Riverside, south of the river and east of the Tower. Peninsula west

Post to the north Old Blackwall and Blackwall Point
Post to the east Greenwich Marsh
Post to the west Millwall
Post to the south Cubitt Town

This posting refers to sites on the south bank only. The north bank is Blackwall

Riverside – Tunnel Avenue
This riverside strip of wharves mainly front onto the river on the west and Tunnel Avenue on the east.  This stretch of Tunnel Avenue was one called Blackwall Lane or Marsh: Lane
Point Wharf
This is a Morden College owned area.
Blackwall Tunnel vent. This is the ventilation shaft for the ‘old’ tunnel. These vents are not the originals but new installations to clear pollution.  They have an arrangement whereby the roof opens in segments – ‘like a flower’ this one is marked on pre 1960 as maps as 'stairs' - access stairs to the tunnel when it was used by pedestrian traffic
Edmonds Barge Builder. Augustus Edmonds had a barge building works here in the late 19th.  He lived nearby in Blackheath. The yard was eventually taken over by Humpheries and Grey
Humphrey & Grey (Lighterage) Ltd. These were two rival lighterage firms which amalgamated. They also operated a boat building yard here, and, for instance, built their own tug, John Wilson, on site in the 1930s. They were later taken over by Hays and moved to Bay Wharf shortly after the Second World War.
Thos. W. Hughan & Co. Ltd. Hughan built many vessels here – for example - in the mid 1960s a twin engine motor vessel called Thames Commodore, and in 1972 the Chay Blyth currently in use as a ‘disco boat’ and in the 1980s were building barges to be exported to Ghana. Around the same time the Elizabethan was built here – the replica Mississippi paddle ship frequently to be seen on the river.
Jacubaits. Joe Jacubaits moved his boat building and repair business here in the 1980s having left his previous site beau see of ‘regeneration’ in the Royal Docks. In the late 1980s he employed 18 craftsmen and three apprentices with an order book full for the next two years.  Following more regeneration artefacts from his business remained here until removed during ‘tidying ‘operations before the Millennium Exhibition.
North Pole Ice Co. . This firm moved here in the late 19th with Danish promoters. They are said to have had Machinery of 200 tons daily ice-making capacity was installed here and it was delivered daily to their depot at Waterloo. Their works appears to have been in the central part of Point Wharf
Bullet from a Shooting Star. Artwork by Alex Chinneck. This is imnmediately south of Drawsdock Road. The enormous lattice of steel takes the form of an inverted electricity pylon that appears to have been shot into the ground at a precarious angle. It is made up of 450 pieces of steel and 900 engineered connection points,

Tunnel Wharf
This is a Morden College owned area. This wharf is given at a number of locations but current PLA plans show it south of, and the southern area of, Point Wharf.
Shrubsall. Horace Shrubsall’s original barge yard was at Ipswich in 1894 although he came from Sittingbourne. He later moved to a yard in Limehouse and then permanently moved to London. In 1901 he leased Tunnel Wharf where there was a large foreshore for barge blocks and repair berths, a saw pit etc. He launched a series of barges from here

Delta Wharf
This is a Morden College owned area.
William Courtney. This site appears to have been on the northern part of what is now Delta Wharf but Courtney was on site before the building of Drawdock Road – and in any case was very negligent on his boundaries. William Courtney claimed to be a ship builder and leased this site south of the Blakeley works in 1862.  He is said to have built a jetty here. No ships seem to have been built and there are undiscovered issues on claims of fraud.
Grieg’s Wharf. London Seed Crushing. The site had been Courtenay’s but he became bankrupt and his plot was subdivided. Part of it was occupied by three consecutive limited companies involved in linseed crushing, each of which failed. From 1885 the premises were run as Grieg & Co.’s Mills until the late 1890s. In 1898 it was sub-let to Bell’s Asbestos Company Ltd with Poyle Mills Company Ltd as, apparently, sub-tenants.  In 1915 it passed to the Delta Metal Company Ltd.
Bell’s AsbestosWorks. This lay south of Delta Wharf. They took over the London Seed Crushing plant in 1900 and remained on site until the 1920s.  They had a headquarters building at 59 Southwark Street where a bell motif remains over the door. In 1929 as Turner and Newall they moved to Erith
Eastwoods Barge Builders. Eastwoods were a barge and brickmaking firm dating back to the early 19th with a large brick and cement business at Conyer. Their barge fleet with its building and repair business was primarily concerned with haulage. Their cement business became part of Rugby Cement in the 1960s.
Delta Metal. In 1883 George Alexander Dick, started to market Delta products, and five years later the Delta Metal Company was incorporated. From 1882 he had worked to improve brass and other alloys and produced and iron-zinc copper alloy became Delta Metal. The Greenwich works was opened in 1905 and in late 1940s took over the Greenwich Inlaid Linoleum works, for offices. Delta Storage was formed in 1956 and was closed in 1972.  The company expanded with takeovers and mergers. The Greenwich works closed in the 1980s and for a while operated at the Johnson and Phillips Charlton site. They have now moved to the Far East.
Blackwall Aggregates. This was a joint venture between Hanson Aggregates and United Marine Aggregates handling sea-dredged aggregates. They were on site here in the 1990s and early 2000s
Golf driving range. This opened in July 2015as a 60 bay driving range as part of joint venture between Knight Dragon Developments and N1GOLF.
Greenwich Inlaid Linoleum Works. The lino works’ north factory lay south of the asbestos works. 

Imperial Wharf
This is a Morden College owned area.
Bethell Chemical works. A wood preservative system was that pioneered in the 1830s by John Bethell. A barrister from Bristol. In 1848 he patented a way of 'preserving animal and vegetable substances from decay'.  . The eventual success of Bethell's process was to lead to the world wide use of wood for such things as railway sleepers and telegraph poles.  At Greenwich the works eventually specialised in the manufacture of tar soaked wood block paving. His first approach to Morden College had been as early as 1839 and coal tar was purchased in bulk from the Imperial Gas Company works at St. Pancras and Haggerston.  After Bethell's death in the 1870s his wife Louisa retained ownership – and in the 1880s the works was transferred to the Improved Wood Pavement Company in which the Bethell family remained involved.
Improved Wood Paving. This company made tarred road blocks and built roads and pavements of them under contract to local authorities. It was on site in the early 20tht
Grays Ferro Concrete. This company was on site here in the 1930s. They appear to have been a Glasgow based company involved in large scale concrete structure.
A.S.Henry, sack makers. The firm was founded in 1805 in Manchester by Alexander Henry to market and distribute the products of the cotton industry. Branch offices were opened in many parts of the country including this factory in Greenwich. They were taken over by Great Universal Stores in 1972.
Greenwich Saw Mills. This company had existed from the 1850s owned by a Mr. Wynn, although the site then is not clear. They were sited at Imperial Wharf in the 1950s and early 1960s.

Sussex Wharf
This is a Morden College owned area.
Forbes Abbott and Lennard. James Forbes had been, based at Iceland Wharf, at Old Ford from at least the mid 1840s in partnership with a Mr. Abbott and Mr. Lennard.   They later moved to a site near Blackwall Point where they made a variety of chemical products.   When South Metropolitan Gas Company purchased Ordnance Wharf they moved to a site adjacent to Victoria Deep Water Wharf which they called Sussex Wharf - this may relate to their works at Shoreham and Rye in Sussex.  In Greenwich they made anthracene, and hydrochloric acid. They were later known as the Standard Ammonia Co.
National Benzole. Benzole is a product made from coal tar originally used as a motor spirit. It was sold as a motor fuel. National Benzole was originally a co-operative sales organization. This Greenwich site appears to have been one of several storage depots along the river for what became a major supplier of motor fuels. However this is on a site previously occupied by the developer of the Lennard still and is clearly adjacent to a large gas works where benzole was made and to the national Fuel Research station where its use was developed.

Victoria Wharf
Henry Bessemer and/or his sons were here from 1865 and had a small steelworks on site. It may also have been the London Steel and Iron Works, which it was known as from 1869. Bessemer is however still recorded in Morden College documents as the site owner into the late 1870s.
London Steel and Iron Works.  This appears to have been a later incarnation of Bessemer’s Greenwich steel works and may have had some input from Josiah Vavasseur.
Hodges and Butler. Based on American experience this works was set up to make pipes and paving from various stones broken and reconstituted. Some pipes and coal whole covers made by hem survive. The works was also known as Thames Silicated Stone Works and Improved Silicate Stone Work.  Later Imperial Stone produced paving of which several examples exist with their trade name embedded in it.
Ransome. This firm, led by Frederick Ransome, was a branch of the Ipswich based engineers but made a product based on artificial stone. This was a patent method of producing a plastic stone which could be moulded into artistic items, or used for pavements, or whatever. Ernest Ransome, Frederick’s son, was to become a major designer of concrete structures in the United States
Appleby. This company took over Bessemer’s site having been based in Southwark.  They had previously been part of the Renishaw Iron Company. Their catalogue shows a very wide range of items which they could make at Greenwich. They later went into partnership with Jessops of Leicester and two steam engines made by them survive. They were later to become specialists in hoists and cranes.
The Greenwich Inlaid Linoleum works was the third lino factory to be set up by Frederick Walton.  By 1910 this was a huge works with three vast machines which could automatically produce patterned lino. The works was sold to Nairn of Kirkaldy after Second World War
Metropolitan Storage and Packing. Extant here in 1950
Victoria Deep Water Terminal. This was originally the Victoria Wharf handling general cargo. As The Deep Water Terminal it opened in 1966 as a privately owned container terminal receiving containers and unit loads from Europe.
Hanson Aggregates. This handles sea-dredged aggregates since 1990 with vessels of up to 8000 tonnes.

Bay Wharf
This is a Morden College owned area. It was previously known as Horseshoe Breach and is an area where the river inundated the river wall before the 1620s and was never repaired.
Sir John Pett Lillie. Manufacturer of artificial stone
National Boat Building by Machinery. Nathan Thompson’s company for making 100s of identical boats by machinery was opened here around 1863. He was out of business in a year and appears to have disappeared
Maudslay Son and Field . They set up in the abandoned Thompson boat yard. A subsidiary of the Maudslay engineering firm based in Waterloo they built a series of sailing and other ship – initially a collier called the Lady Derby. They built two vessels for Cutty Sark owner, Willis – fast sailing ships Blackadder and Halloween. In 1871 they also built the first ro-ros for Turkey to be used on the Bospherous crossing – one of these ships, Sahilbent, was still at work in the late 1990s. They later became a franchise for the French Belleville Boiler Company but eventually went out of business. The entire property of the Maudslay company was auctioned here in 1902, many items going to the Science Museum.
Alfred Manchester. This major waste paper company was here before moving to a larger site in Charlton.
Humphrey & Grey (Lighterage) Ltd. They were taken over by Hays and moved here in 1945. They were Barge and Tug Repairers and Builders Manufacturer and Servicing of Tarpaulins
Bay Wharf Construction Co. This company, a subsidiary of Humphrey and Grey, took on many construction projects, but did carry out some boat building. Some tugs built by them are still extant on the river. Their yard – some buildings of which survive – was built in 1949.
Thamescraft Dry Docking. This company had recently moved to Bay Wharf having been relocated by developers from Badcock’s Wharf. They undertake boat repairs and similar activities of all kinds/.

Tunnel Avenue
Blakeley Cottages. These were built in 1866 for the workers at Blakely’s factory. They we`re never finished and became housing for contractor’s staff when the gas works was built and subsequently allocated to gas workers.  They were replaced after the Second World War – one building becoming a motel. They have now been demolished.


Sources
Greenwich Chamber of Commerce. Wharves 1952
London Design Festival. Web site
London Rivers Association. Greenwich Riverside Report
Mills. Greenwich Marsh
Mills. Innovation, Enterprise and Change on the Greenwich Peninsula
Port City. Web site
Port of London Magazine

Saturday, 19 December 2015

Riverside, east of the Tower and south bank. Blackwall Point

Riverside south of the river and east of the Tower.  Blackwall Point

This post only relates to sites on the square south of the river. Sites north of the river are Old Blackwall

Post to the west Canary Wharf
Post to the north Poplar
Post to the east Leamouth and Dome
Post to the south Greenwich Peninsula West


Drawdock Road
Drawdock Road was built in the 1880s by the gas company as compensation for loss of watermen’s rights on the frontage of the new gas works. It is a public right of way but is not always accessible because of events at the Dome.

Riverside
The riverside walk is now renamed Olympian Way
Blackwall Tunnel vent. This is behind the security fence. This is the ventilation shaft for the ‘old’ tunnel. These vents are not the originals but new installations to clear pollution.  They have an arrangement whereby the roof opens in segments – ‘like a flower’
Meridian Line., This crosses the path here marked with metal strips.  When this area was opened by the gas works there was a sign here to mark the line.
Ordnance Jetty. This jetty is unused and has been grassed over. It served Ordnance Wharf – the gas company tar works. However it is not shown on maps of the 1950s and 1960s, although an earlier jetty certainly stood on this site to serve the shipyard which was here in the early 20th and the Blakely Ordnance Co.  in the 1860s had a jetty which may or may not have been on this exact site.  The jetty now in place does not appear to be a modern enough to have been built by the gas company in the 1970s. However photographic evidence shows a jetty at Ordnance Wharf in the4 1950s-60s which had on it contraption known as a Temperly Transporter.  This appears eventually have collapsed onto the jetty which presumably made both unusable.
Meridian Gardens. This includes the helipad for the Dome and is otherwise a bit of neglected open space with a lot of security fencing.
A Slice of Reality. This is an art work by Richard Wilson.  It is on the foreshore and is a sliced vertical section of an ocean going sand dredger. The ship was reduced in length by 85%, leaving a slice with the ships habitable sections: bridge, poop, accommodation and engine room.   This has been there since 2000,
Dry Dock entrance.  There was an entrance to the Blackwall Point dry dock which seems to align with a long indentation in the river wall – although this is considerably larger than would have been needed for the dock entrance.  The river wall here is modern
Reed bed and flood prevention scheme. This is described on sign board adjacent to a series of terraces built for this purpose on the foreshore.
Forbes, Abbott and Lennard. In the 1867 James Forbes, then based at Iceland Wharf, Old Ford  patented various means of making sulphate of ammonia and sulphuric acid. He had been based there from at least the mid 1840s in partnership with a Abbott and Lennard where they contracted with London gas companies to buy chemical waste.  They latere moved to East Greenwich where they made a variety of chemical products.   When South Metropolitan Gas Company purchased Ordnance Wharf they moved south to a site adjacent to Victoria Deep Water Wharf.  Their revolutionary Lennard still remained on site and was taken over by the gas company for their own use.
Tunnel Avenue
This stretch of Tunnel Avenue was part of Blackwall Lane
Blakely Ordnance Works. Theophilus Blakely opened his ordnance works here in 1865 with a lease from Morden College. He had invented the method of making rifled ordnance, later widely adopted.
The works failed and Blakley died in 1868.  The works appears to have continued under Vavasseur,
Blackwall Point Dry dock. After Blakely left the site was partly used to build a dry dock. This large dry-dock was built in 1868 by Lewis and Stockwell. They were boat repairers and ship builders – one boat built here was a collier called Bulli later wrecked off Tasmania. The dock was sold to the South Metropolitan Gas Company by order of the House of Lords in 1881. While some of the site was used for their tar works the dock itself was leased to a series of ship builders and repairers – the first two defaulted on a mortgage from the gas company and it was returned to them. It was later rented to the large Wapping based ship builder, John Stewart. In 1928 the gas company bought the dock back from the Port of London Authority and used it as a reservoir. A capstan from it is in the Museum of Docklands.
Ordnance wharf. South Metropolitan Gas used this area as their tar works and later included the area previously used by the shipbuilders in their site.  They operated a large pitch bed here as well as laboratories, and tar stills – one of which was the Lennard Still.
Bisophosphated Manure Co., Biphosphated Guano, and Mockford Ordnance Manure Works. These three artificial manure companies operated on Ordnance Wharf pre 1880s.  Mockford opened in the late 1860s and processed guano, mineral phosphates and shoddy



Waterview Drive
Intercontinental Hotel. This vast new hotel is on the Ordnance Wharf site. It has 453 guest rooms and suites on 18 floors. It is part of the Aurora chain.

Sources
A slice of Reality. Web site.

Ballard. Report on effluvia on the lower Thames
Blackwall Tunnel. Web site
Intercontinental Hotel. Web site
Mills. Greenwich Marsh
Mills. Innovation, Enterprise and Change

Friday, 18 December 2015

Riverside east of the Tower and south of the river. Dome



Riverside east of the Tower and south of the river

This post covers only the parts of the square on the south bank of the river. The post for the north bank is Leamouth

Post to the north Canning Town
Post to the south Greenwich Marsh
Post to the west Old Blackwall and Blackwall Point


Dome
The Dome. This was originally called the Millennium Dome and built at public expense as an exhibition arena. It is now a private entertainment venue called the O2 and run by an American group. It is dome is one of the largest of its type of structure in the world. It is a large white tent with twelve yellow support towers, one for each month of the year, or each hour of the clock face, representing the role played by Greenwich Meantime,. But in fact very reminiscent of structures at the Festival of Britain – i.e. the Dome of Discovery and the Skylon.  The architect was Mike Davis, of the Rogers Rogers Partnership. As the Millennium Dome it was inaugurated under the Tory Major Government continued by the incoming 1997 Labour Government. The London Borough of Greenwich was keen to kick start regeneration on an area which had been taken out of the Docklands Development programme.  The press however took against the scheme and this was not helped by transport chaos on the opening night. Many of the exhibits were very bland – partly as a result of a decision to exclude anything which spoke of the past.  There was however a lot of local support and communities from all over the country had a day in which they could describe and explain themselves. On many days the building was full to capacity and visitor feedback was extremely positive. It was the most popular tourist attraction in 2000. When the exhibition closed the Dome was used for a number of one of events – although most of them were unable to fill its vast spaces. A number of schemes and operators were put forward – although the decision on this was up to government departments. It was eventually contracted to Meridian Delta Ltd. – now AEG -as an entertainment centre, owned by American Philip Anschutz and the building was renamed the O2. Currently it hosts high profile entertainment events, and there are cinemas and night clubs as well as the main arena. These are surrounded by fast food franchise restaurants and expensive car parks.
Tunnel vent. The vent for the ‘’new’ southbound Blackwall Tunnel pokes up through he roof of the Dome. These were designed by Terry Farrell and are listed.
Gas works, The Dome area is part of the site of the South Metropolitan Company’s East Greenwich Gas Works – with major parts of the site in the squares to the south and the west. At this northwest corner of the site were the scrubbers and purifiers – the Greenwich Vestry had asked that the smelliest bit of the works be the furthest away from Greenwich centre. Here chemicals would be removed from the newly made gas before it went out into people’s homes. The chemicals could of course be processed and sold. This area had its own narrow gauge railway system.    The jetty was of course served by a complex railway system largely serving the retort houses which lay to the south of it – and to the south of this square. There was also a main office block in this area.  To the north of the purifiers was an area used by the Ordnance Tar Works –   but still part of the gas works complex.

Penrose Way
Ravensbourne College. Ravensbourne is a university sector college specialising in digital media and design. It began as Bromley Technical College, opened in 1959 and it relocated to Penrose Way in 2010, having has other existences on the way. Its new building is designed to replicate the working environment of industry, with an emphasis on student and industry collaboration. The outside of the building has a tiled design inspired by Sir Roger Penrose known for his work on theories of general relativity and cosmology and the inventor of this tiling pattern with five-fold symmetry.

Riverside
Gas Works Jetty. This structure was built after 1883. By 1902 it was handling 1,200,000 tons of coal annually. It was originally L shaped but in 1904 it was increased in length to 500 feet to accommodate ships of up to 2000 tons. It had four hydraulic cranes with 25 cwt grabs 75 feet above the river and shifting 1000 tons in 7 hours. The coal was unloaded into railway trucks and then taken by rail to the retort houses, or wherever. There was a control cabin at the shore end, next to the works clock tower. It was demolished for the Millennium Exhibition but 8 of the original cast iron legs into the river remain.
Queen Elizabeth Pier. This is on the site of the gas works jetty and provides a base for the Thames Clipper Service. It was designed by the Richard Rogers Partnership and built by Contain. It has an 87metre long, bowstring brow is supported on three bearings.
Quantum Cloud. This sculpture is sited on the remains of the gas works jetty, It is an elliptical cloud sculpture by Antony Gormley, and is made of 1.5 metre lengths of randomly oriented steel sections which condense into a 20 metre high human body form at the centre. In 1999, it was the tallest sculpture in the UK. Fractal growth software was used to develop the structural form, and modelling. Gormley has asked how can you convey the fact that the presence of somebody is greater or different from their appearance? And that it is an open question in the quantum clouds, whether the body is emerging from a chaotic energy field or the field from the body.

Sources
A Century of Gas in South: London
Anthony Gormley. Web site
Archive
Lusas. Web site
Mills. Greenwich Marsh
Mills. Innovation, Enterprise and Change
Nicholson. Regeneration
Ravensbourne College. Web site
Wilhide. The Millennium Dome

Thursday, 17 December 2015

Riverside. South bank east of the Tower. Greenwich marsh

Riverside. South bank east of the Tower. Greenwich marsh


Post to the east Charlton Angerstein and Silvertown
Post to the south East Greenwich
Post to the west Blackwall and Greenwich Peninsula West
Post to the north Leamouth and Dome

Barge Walk
New road built in 2014 between large blocks of flats

Bessemer Place
New road built in 2014 between large blocks of flats. Named for Henry Bessemer’s Greenwich steel works.

Blackwall Lane
This is the ancient road into the Marsh. It was also called Marsh Lane and Also Ship and Billet Lane after the pub on the corner with Woolwich Road. In this northern section of the Peninsula its line has been very much curtailed and it now ends at the roundabout with Millennium Way but it once followed the line of what is now Tunnel Avenue to the tip of the Peninsula
Housing. In the late 19th and early 20th there was some housing in Blackwall Lane, most of it associated with various industrial sites. In the 1860s Sidmouth Place ran off Blackwall Lane north of Morden Wharf Road. In the same area a Methodist chapel was associated with an East Place.,


Blackwall Tunnel Approach
Access road to the Blackwall Tunnel built in the late 1960s as part of an upgrade which included the new southbound bore.  Site of a permanent traffic jam.
Morden Wharf Sculptures. These are on the roadside side of Morden Wharf and consist of giant red iron ‘sticks’ in bunches tied round the centre and in heaps. This is an artwork erected by the current developer on site.
Blackwall Tunnel Gatehouse, This is the southern gatehouse to the tunnel built 1897 in red sandstone with a flat above the archway. An Art Nouveau by Thomas Blashill, architect to the London County Council. The facades were decorated with shields carrying the coats of arms of Middlesex, Kent, Essex and Surrey, and commemorative bronze plaques
Blackwall Tunnel.  The, currently northbound, ‘old’ tunnel  was initially designed by Sir Joseph Bazalgette but with the inauguration of the London County Council in 1889, a new plan was drawn up by Alexander Binnie, the Council’s Engineer. This was for a single tunnel for two lines of vehicles and foot-passengers. It was, of course, to be free for all to use. The tunnel was driven through water-bearing strata by a Greathead shield and compressed air - the first time these techniques had been combined. It was ceremonially opened by HRH the Prince of Wales in 1897.
Blackwall Tunnel. The southbound ‘new’ tunnel. in the late 1930s the London County Council planned a second tunnel but work did not begin until 1958. It eventually opened in 1969
Concrete screen building. For many years a concrete box stood above the archway into the tunnel – the tunnel itself, not the gatehouse. It is thought that this was a wartime measure which originally contained equipment to close the tunnel in case of attack. It was removed as part of the tidying up process of the Millennium Exhibition.


Boord Street
Housing here was demolished in the 1960s.
338 Built as the Mitre public house. Became the notorious comedy venue, the Tunnel Club, and then a whole series of disreputable night spots 
St Andrews & St.Michael's Church.  This was built 1900-2 by Basil Champneys allegedly on a 20ft thick raft over tulle marsh. It is said to have been partly built with the money from the demolition and sale of St Michael's, Wood Street, in the City from where it’s pretty iron bell tower is said to have come from. The Parish was united with Christ Church in 1951 but St Andrew's was not closed until 1965. It was demolished after 1984. The site was leased to building contractors O'Keefe for industrial use and sold to them in 2003.
Weighbridge



Bugsbys Hole
Area in the river off the east bank the Peninsula and which has given its name to the area.  The identity of Bugsby is unknown but the name dates from the early 18th and identifies a part of the river used as a mooring.

Bugsbys Way
Road built by London Borough of Greenwich in the 1980s.
Holiday Inn Express. Built 1998.


Chandlers Avenue
New road built in 2014 between large blocks of flats.

Child Lane
New road built in 2000 as part of Greenwich Millennium Village with a name relating to a nearby school.

Cutter Lane
New road built as part of the infrastructure round the Dome and running between car parks.

Dreadnought Street
This is now a slip road off the A102M running round to the Dome.
Energy Centre. Under construction


East Parkside
David Beckham Academy. This was a football school founded by David Beckham Academy in 2005. The academy pulled out of the London site at the end of the lease in October 2009. Its indoor arena had two full-sized, artificially turfed pitches, alongside an education and administration centre, and a sports medical centre. The facility was subsequently known as The London Soccerdome and used for football coaching run by a different organisation. It closed in October 2014, with the site to be redeveloped for housing. The structure is to be re-erected in Southend.

Edmund Halley Way
New road built as part of the infrastructure round the Dome and running between car parks. This one is named after an astronomer.
Cable Car – aka the Emirates Airline. This opened in 2012 and runs from here to the Victoria Dock.

Green Place
This is a private landscaped service area for The Now gallery and other facilities in Peninsula Square.

Grenfell Street
This street was once the main access road the gas works. It was a short residential street, now under Millennium Way)
East Greenwich Gas Works. The works was set up in the early 1880s by the South Metropolitan Gas Company. It was their out of town ‘super’ works and led to the closure of several smaller works which they had taken over. It aspired to the highest standards and was one of largest gas works worldwide. It was nationalised in 1946.  Gas making ceased with the advent of North Sea Gas in the 1970s and the works eventually closed in the 1980s.
Livesey Institite. This stood at the end of Grenfell Street outside the works gate. It was a social and sports club for gas works staff and included a theatre and other facilities.
Gas Holder 1. This was built in 1886 as the World's first four lift holder and of, 8.6m cubic foot capacity. It was the largest holder in the world when built. It is still extant but unused and its future is unknown.
Gas Holder 2. Built in 1891, it was the the largest holder in the world. It was a 6 lift holder with a flying lift to contain 12.2 m. cubic feet. It was damaged in the 1917 Silvertown explosion and the flying lift was never replaced. It was demolished in 1986 although the tank appears to remain.


John Harrison Way
Road built to access Greenwich Millennium Village in 2000. Named after the clockmaker who lived in Barton on Humber and only came to Greenwich twice.
Memorial Park. Open land named for the Gas Works memorial
War Memorial. This was set up by the gas company and names their workers killed in the forces during the Great War. Originally dedicated in 1926 it was moved here by Kay Murch.
Millennium Primary School. Opened in 2000 to service new residential areas on the peninsula. It was in fact Annandale School which moved here as its founding body. It includes an autistic unit
Peninsula Health Centre. Opened 2000.


Millennium Way
New road built to access the Dome in 1999
St.Mary Church of England School. Extension to existing school opened in 2015.
Portacabins. Offices and depot for peninsula managers8
North Greenwich Station. Opened in 1999. This lies between Canary Wharf and Canning Town on the Jubilee Line.  It has a striking blue-tiled and glazed interior, with raking concrete columns rearing up inside the huge underground space, was designed by Will Allsop
Bus Station and taxi rank. Associated with the station.


Mitre Passage
Office buildings



Morden Wharf Road
This was also known as Sea Witch Lane after a riverside pub. It was called after Sir John Morden who set up Morden College who are the owners of this area. It was built by lessee Charles Holcombe for riverside access. The road was closed for access to the riverside by Tunnel Glucose factory which stood on the site.
The Mechanic’s Arms. Pub built in 1870, the original licensee was William Drew. It was demolished in the late 1890s as part of the LCC’s Tunnel Avenue construction program.

Old School Close
Dreadnought School. The date of the school is unclear and there may have been a predecessor building. This was a London School Board School and may be from the late 1880s - since there are records of repairs and extensions in 1900.It  closed as the population moved from the area in the 1960s and has been used as a store for the Horniman Museum ever since.

Olympian Way
This is a new name for the riverside path.

Ordnance Crescent
Part of west side, including the Ordnance Arms, has gone for the Tunnel.

Oval Square
Shops around a planted and landscaped square for the Millennium Village

Pilot Busway
The busway runs on some dedicated track and on some roads. This section parallels West Parkside. It was built for a guided bus which never worked and never ran


Riverside walk. West bank
Morden Wharf. This square covers only the northern section of Morden Wharf.
Great and Little Pits –these were field names in the riverside area owned by Morden College and leased to industry frrm the late 1830s.
Bryan and Howden. This company leased part of what became Morden Wharf from Morden College in 1837. They made coal gas manufacturing apparatus and were also tar distiller’s
Holcombe. Charles Holcombe leased part of the area from Morden College from 1841 for industrial use.
Willis and Wright. This firm was based on what became Morden Wharf. They were vinegar manufacturers from Old Street in Shoreditch. In Greenwich they had a tar and chemical factory.
Kuper. This was a wire rope making company from Camberwell. Making iron and steel ropes for collieries and ships rigging.  . Some early cable manufacture was contracted to them. From here SS Persian was loaded with cable via a jetty made f barges.
Telegraph Cable Works. Submarine Telegraph Cables. Kuper became Glass Elliott in 1854 and cable manufacture was based here, although it later moved to Enderby Wharf. This site had closed by 1900 and was taken over by Bowater
Bowater. Thames Export packing. Bowaters were paper manufacturers. They leased the site as Thames Export Packing Company Ltd and specialised in preparing paper for export.
Ashby Cement Works.  In 1852 -1856, Henry Reid and John Winkfield made ‘Roman Cement’ here. The company name changed to the East Greenwich Portland Cement Company and in 1870 became William Ashby and Son and closed in 1926. Ashby was a Staines based company
Maudslay Son and Field. Mainly based to the north of this square in Bay Wharf the company had a boiler works here franchised from the French Belleville Company.
Segar Emery and Co. Ltd. took over the Maudslay boiler site in 1904. They were mahogany merchants with connections to America. The business appears to have involved the importation of tropical hardwoods and had a saw mill and dock on site
Molassine Company Ltd. In 1908 this company moved onto the site vacated by Segar Emery. They had been set up with a secret formula for animal feed molasses was stored here in big steel tanks. They made a feed for horses and later dog food. The red sandstone block on Blackwall lane was built in 1916.
Bay Wharf. This site is mainly in the square to the west and will be described there


Riverway
Riverway is now a car park around the Pilot Pub and cottages. Until 2000 it was a road which ran to the river where there was a causeway.  Some of the sites listed below were on the stretch between a wall and the river, now occupied by large blocks of flats.
Railway – there was a railway bridge which crossed Riverway and which would roughly have been on the site of the traffic lights in West Parkside. This was on a branch of the Angerstein Railway going into the gas works. There was a signal cabin above the road.
East Greenwich Tide Mill. This was built on the riverside in 1901 by George Russell. It was upriver of Riverway.  It was designed by William Johnson. During the construction an explosion in a boiler of a Trevithick engine here led to changes in early engine use.  The mill was found to be structural unsound by 1810 and was rebuilt by Brian Donkin. It was probably still extant in 1900. 
Millponds. These stretched back behind the mill – one being described as a ‘basin’.  Some parts of them were still extant in the 1940s.
Hills Chemical Works. The tide mill was taken over by Frank Clarke Hills in 1842 and the site became a chemical works, making manure and processing gas works waste
Phoenix Wharf.  After Hills death the northern section of the chemical works was bought by South Metropolitan Gas Co as an extension to their East Greenwich Gas Works. They ran it to manufacture various chemical from gas works waste.
Ammonium Sulphate store. This was a storage shed with pre-cast concrete parabolic roof on the site of the Phoenix chemical Works.  It remained after all other gas works buildings had gone and was used for film and video production. . Demolished in the 1990s. 
Blackwall Point Power Station site. This was on the upriver side of Riverway. In 1900, the Blackheath and Greenwich District Electric Light Co built the earliest power station here on part of the chemical works site. It was rebuilt in 1951. Rge Control room was separate from the rest of the station and buildings were on both sides of Riverway. The Jetty remains. 
East Lodge. This house was built as part of Russell’s estate for New East Greenwich and generally used for supervisory staff. It was demolished probably in the 1900s.
Redpath Brown – British Steel. This structural steel plant was built around 1901 on a site used for the dumping of spoil from the Blackwall Tunnel.  Redpath Brown was a Scottish company eventually taken over by Dorman Long and Bolkow Vaughan. It was later nationalised as the Riverside Steel Works under British Steel. It closed in the 1980s.The site was later used for Police Riot Training.
Greenwich Yacht Club. The club was for several years based in the old canteen building of the Redpath Brown factory.
Pilot Inn. The Pilot was built in 1802 by Russell as part of his scheme for ‘New East Greenwich’ – a stone on the pub wall commemorates that. The Pilot concerned is probably William Pitt the Younger, ‘The Pilot who weathered the storm’.
Cottages – there were once more cottages and some tenement blocks. These too were built by Russell for workers at the tide mill. Ceylon Place. The name probably relates to the Treaty of Amiens of 1802, the date of the cottages, which seceded Ceylon to Britain.
Thames Church Mission Hall. This mission to seamen started in one of the Ceylon Place buildings. It later evangelised from boats on the river and built St. Andres’s Church in Gravesend.
Coalite Plant. This dated from 1929 and was licensed to South Metropolitan Gas Works.
Fuel Research Station. This had begun as a First World War poison gas research body but became the official government coal research establishment. On closure it moved to Warren Springs


Thames Path east bank
There are a number of seats and stopping places along this stretch.
Port of London Authority scanner
Power Station Jetty. Built for the Blackwall Point Power Station 1950s.  Now in use as a theatre and entertainment site.
Children’s playground
Pilot Causeway. This was licenced in 1801 when the river bank was opened for the east Greenwich tide mill.  It extended from what was Riverway. It appears to have been removed.. 
Redpath Brown Jetty. This belonged to the structural steel works. After their closure it was disused and was eventually taken over by a rival Greenwich Yacht Club. This was closed down and the jetty removed for the Millennium in 2000. It is now used as a mooring area for boats belonging to Greenwich Yacht Club


Tunnel Avenue
Tunnel Avenue was built to access the Blackwall Tunnel when it was first built in the 1890s. It was then chopped up in the 1960s when the motorway was built. The stretch on this square is effectively now part of the Blackwall Tunnel Approach and the roadside of some of the wharves listed under Morden Wharf – and further north, the roadside of wharves which will he listed in the square to the west.
Star  in the East Pub. This is now an electrical shop alongside the tunnel approach
Tram Telephone Box. This stood alongside the tunnel entrance as a reminder of the tram services in the area. It was removed as part of the tidying up process for the Olympics.


West Parkside
Southern Park.  Amenity grassland used for sports.

Scources
Archive
Aslet. History of Greenwich
Bygone Kent-
Carr. Docklands History Survey
Francis. History of the Cement Industry
GLIAS Journal
GLIAS- Newsletter
Goldsmiths. South East London Industrial Archaeology
Greenwich and Lewisham Antiquarians. Journal
Greenwich Chamber of  Commerce. Report
Greenwich Peninsula History. Web site
Greenwich Society Walk,
Industrial Archaeology Review
Metropolitan Borough of Greenwich. Industries of Greenwich
Metropolitan Borough of Greenwich. Festival brochure,
Mills. Greenwich Marsh
Mills. Innovation, Enterprise and Change on the Greenwich Peninsula
Mills. Mr. Bugsby
Nature Conservation in Greenwich
Pevsner and Cherry. South London
Port of London. Magazine
Spurgeon. Discover Greenwich and Charlton

Monday, 14 December 2015

Riverside - east of the Tower and on the south bank. Charlton Angerstein

Riverside - east of the Tower and on the south bank. Charlton Angerstein

This posting covers only the south bank of the River. On the north bank is Silvertown

Post to the west Charlton Riverside
Post to the south North Charlton and East Greenwich
Post to the west Greenwich Marsh



Anchor and Hope Lane
This was also once known as Manor Way. It was a 'Man Way' or ‘Great Man Way. In the 16th it was as part of a marsh drainage scheme and later a causeway across the marshes. The current street name is derived from the public house.
Moore and Nettlefold. This firm made hand blown glass bottle here about 1901. 
United Glass. This had been set up in 1913 as a consortium of bottle and glass manufacturers. Initially the company concentrated production at a newly built factory at Charlton which they had taken over from Moore and Nettlefold who were members of the group. They used sand from the Charlton sandpits but also from America and Redhill. By using American machinery they became the largest bottle making factory in Europe. They made all the milk bottles used in London and after the Second World War the advent of the National Health Service led to a vast increase in medicine bottles and related items. They lost production however with the introduction of plastic bottles and were closed down in 1966. The company still exists in Harlow. The Sainsbury’s depot is now on this part of the site. The site extended to the square to the south,
100 Walter Combes House.  Currently in use as office by a bookmaker, this was originally Riverside House, built for Stone Manganese Marine whose propeller works is now based in Birkenhead.  This building appears to have been offices and maybe dates from the 1960s. The area behind, now called Anchorage Point, seems to have been the site of their propeller factory. Josiah Stone established a foundry in Deptford in 1831, of which the non-ferrous works subsequently moved to Charlton in 1917 and became J. Stone and Co (Charlton) Ltd in 1951. Its Marine Department produced the propellers for the Queen Mary, Queen Elizabeth and Royal Yacht Britannia, among others, and 22,000 propellers for the Navy during the Second World War. It also made variable pitch propellers and water-tight doors including for the Queen Elizabeth and Royal Yacht Britannia. Stone foundries still operates at Charlton but mainly for the aircraft industry and much of the original site is now in other use
Sainsbury's Depot. This depot, on the site of the United Glass works, has recently been rebuilt. It services 200 local convenience stores. The original centre dated from the 1960s and was built in concrete.  The new building is the first single skin chill building commissioned by Sainsbury’s with ambient, chill and freezer units, a goods in and despatch office, and main office. There are 67 docks, five level access doors, lorry parking for 142 vehicles and a 200 space car park. There are a range of energy saving technologies, including solar panels for heating water and a rain water harvesting system. The centre achieved an ‘Excellent’ BREEAM rating.

Horn Link Way
This is actually the ancient Horn Lane, an access road to the river from East Greenwich.
Traveller site. With 10 mobile homes.

Lombard Wall
This is the historic parish boundary of Greenwich and Charlton which lies on an embankment or causeway built as a Manor Way and as a flood barrier. It has been known by that name since 1555 and built by landowner and historian William Lambarde. 

Pear Tree Way
This is a new road built as part of the regeneration of the Greenwich Peninsula for the Millennium Exhibition held in 2000. 
Greenwich Millennium Village. Flats on the east side of the road are being built in 2015. Originally designated as an area for workplace units there was a challenge to the planning application. Flats are seen as a better screen for the aggregate works behind.

Riverside
Greenwich Peninsula Ecology Park.  This is made up of four acres of freshwater habitat and was set up in 2002 having been built as part of the Millennium Village following the Millennium Exhibition. It has two lakes surrounded by marshland that with a small woodland area worth two bird hides. The water supply is derived from pump houses another parts of the peninsula.  It is managed by BCTV.
Norton’s Barge builders and repair yard.  This was on the foreshore west of the Yacht Club. There were three Nortons – ‘R.Norton, Snr’ – ‘Norton Bros.’ and ‘Norton Jnr’. They used barge blocks running parallel to the bank and two sheds on the other side, one for storing tools, nuts, bolts, paint, etc. In 1908 they rebuilt the wrecked Empress as Scudo and then built Scout, Scud and Serb from new. Scud was a 64-ton vessel, which worked for seventy-three years until she was broken up, Serb, bigger at 75 tons had a shorter life of only thirty-eight years before she was sunk off the North Foreland in 1954. They closed in the 1960s and their sheds were taken over by Greenwich Yacht Club,
Peartree Wharf. Latterly this was used by Palmer barge repairers
Greenwich Yacht club. The club dates from 1908 and originally met in west Greenwich. They then moved to some of Norton’s old huts in this area and then to the Redpath Brown Canteen.  When that was to be demolished for the Millennium Exhibiton (too untidy!) English Partnerships built their current new building on Peartree wharf. 
Angerstein Wharf.  This handles marine aggregates and there is a cement plant.  The wharf was named after John Julius Angerstein who built the associated railway. From the 1850s it was worked by the South Eastern Railway and its successors.  The tonnage handled at the wharf has varied, peaking in 1914. After the Second World War they handled fullers earth from Redhill, and imports included waste paper, timber, flour and packed manure.  During the 1970s the Angerstein Wharf site was used as a railhead to receive large stone boulders from Caldon Low for the Thames Barrier. Until 1987 Thames Metal Company operated a scrap yard here and it was later taken over by Day Aggregates. Since 1990 the site has been used for loading and unloading of sea-dredged aggregates. The current operator is Aggregate Industries.
Angerstein railway. This was built as a private goods line by John Julius Angerstein as a mile long railway line from a junction at Charlton.  Built on private land, it did not need an enabling act. The branch was leased to the South Eastern Railway and they later they bought it outright. Branch lines ran to many industries in the area.
Murphy’s Wharf. This is an aggregates terminal with a mixed concrete crusher, and a glass recycling facility,
Christie. This company moved here in 1912 as William Christie Sand Gravel.Co., Ltd,. They were  sleeper importers and creosoters and they built a large creosoting works and sawmills. They built what was described in the 1920s as one of the finest ferro-concrete piers of its type on the Thames.  The wharf handled over 30,000 tons of sleepers and 30,000 tons of timber, deals and telegraph poles” using steam travelling cranes.
Cunis Wharf. Cunis were dredger, tug and barge owners.
Cory.  Wlliam Cory had a coal business from 1838. Off Charlton they moored Atlas, a disused salvage vessel, used as a floating coal berth and known locally as 'The Derrick'. A second Derrick was built in 1865 as did another Atlas. In 1893 Atlas III was built in Newcastle and remained in use until 1902. The barge works here was set up in 1873. Cory Environmental operate their lighterage business from here. There are two dry docks servicing their tug fleet which is made up of six vessels regularly engaged in the transportation of waste. They include twin screw tug Regain, the first lighterage tug to be built for use on the Thames in 30 years.
Durham Wharf. This was Alfred Manchester's building works site in 1896. He originally had a donkey business but moved on to haulage. The side had previously been the Lee District Board of Works depot. Manchester's steam wagons were ex-ammunition lorries and they transported tar for South Metropolitan Gas Co, In the 1940s there were new storage tanks for bulk liquids but they could not compete as companies got their own fleets of lorries  and they went into liquidation in 1981.
Charlton Wharf. Site used by Flower and Everett, dredging contractors and mud shoot specialists. They were also at Angerstein Wharf.
Anchor and Hope. The pub probably dates from as early as the 16th.. It was owned by the Lord of the Manor and in 1874 leased by Red Lion Brewery, St. John Street. It was rebuilt in 1889 for local workers. It has its own jetty and causeway. In 1938 it became a Charrington’s house. It is a basic riverside pub with a food view of the Thames Barrier snd really nice food.
Ayles Ropewalk. This was a ropewalk and tar kettleshop opened in 1850 and closed in 1908. It ran parallel to the riverside walk in an area now covered by the Sainsbury depot.
Anchor and Hope Stairs.
Castle Ship breakers. One of this firms works was sited here in the 1860s as an Admiralty approved ship breaking yard. It was at the end of the road on the foreshore. Henry Castle and Sons were a ship-breaking company which had begun in 1838 in Rotherhithe, and moved to Millbank and later tto Charlton. Small sheds were built here in 1875 to be replaced with Hennebique-system reinforced-concrete structures in 1912–14. However, except for cranes, the wharf was kept open for the laying out of old timbers, including ornamental figureheads which decorated the gateway at Millbank. Many famous old warships were broken here. The site was said to have one of the largest stocks of timber on the river and teak was supplied to the Arsenal. It was also used to make garden furniture including for the grounds of Buckingham Palace for Queen Victoria’s Golden Jubilee in 1887. Other timbers were sawn up and sold as logs for fuel. It is said the timber for the Liberty Store in Regent Street came from here.  Copper was also salvaged.  The last ship demolished was old Arethusa. The works closed in the mid 1930s. Recent archaeological investigation on the site has identified many timbers here – piles of which still lie around the area.
Vaisey’s Wharf. Now the site of houses built out into the river. Thought to have timbers from broken battleships in the foundations

West Parkside
Road built as part of the Millennium Exhibition infrastructure in 2000
Meadows nursery. Temporary horticultural scheme on land eventually to be developed with housing
Southern Park. Part of the Greenwich Millennium Village amenities.


Sources
Archaeology Data Service. Web site
Bygone Kent
Carr, Dockland,
Goldsmiths. South East London Industrial Archaeology
Greenwich and Lewisham Antiquarians journal
Greenwich Chamber of Commerce Journal
Metropolitan Borough of Greenwich Festival brochure
Port of London magazine
Smith. History of Charlton
Docklands History Survey
Southern Railway Magazine
Spurgeon. Discover Greenwich and Charlton

Sunday, 13 December 2015

Riverside east of the Tower and south bank. Charlton Riverside

Riverside south of the Thames and east of the Tower. Barrier

This posting covers only the part of the square on the south side of the river. The north bank is Silvertown

Post to the east Woolwich Dockyard
Post to the south North Charlton
Post to the west Charlton Angerstein

Bowater Road
This was originally called Marsh Street and was built by John Long on the south side of his riverside property in 1808–9. It turned at right angles to a new river landing. This area is now an industrial estate with many buildings in use by arts projects.
17-21 Siemens office building. Built in 1911–12 using the Kahn system. This was a five-storey telephone-equipment factory with an engineering shed behind.  It included a laboratory and experimental rooms for engineers. Siemens Brothers took out the first British telephone-exchange related patent in 1913.
17 is now a Chinese performing arts centre
25 junction-box factory built 1925–6
34 Siemens building for training in the use of radar and radio equipment built with Metropolitan Vickers Electrical Co. Ltd. And preferred to Manchester
37 Siemens factory for making rubber-coated copper-wire cable. It is five-stores and remains as built when it was one of London’s largest factories. The building was designed by Herbert and Helland, and it has a reinforced-concrete interior and flat roof on the Kahn system which allowed half the wall surfaces to be given over to steel casement windows. There were five-ton capacity electric travelling cranes on the ground floors.
Siemens factory for armoured power cables built in 1923. Designed by Southey with polychromatic brickwork.
Siemens reinforced-concrete cable shop to which A single-storey machine shop was also added, Laboratories and experimental workshops were unified, and garages and bicycle sheds were built for a workforce that had grown to more than 9,000 on a site that now covered thirty-five acres.
Westminster Industrial Estate. The site was bought in 1971 by the Westminster Construction Company to let as a trading estate. The Greater London Council later bought the complex and leased it to the Co-operative Insurance Society. Siemens’ buildings were largely retained around Bowater Road and the larger ones used as factories. There were also clearances and large standard single-storey sheds were put up in the 1970s between Westfield Street and a new road to the north called Faraday Way. More recent use includes artists’ studios.


Derrick Gardens
Part of an estate built in 1908 by William Cory and Co, for their workers. They were sold to Greenwich Council in 1983. Derricks were the cranes used to convey the coal on a hulk called Atlas.

Eastmoor Street
This was previously called East Street and lined with low quality housing. . It is now all industrial – car breakers and metal workers.
Standard House. Let out as office locations
Barrier entrance. Controlled entrance to the Thames Barrier estate
Hardens Manor Way
Manor way built as 'Ardens Man Way' in the 16th century as part of marsh drainage scheme. Hardin was a local far. This was a toll road and causeways across the marshes. It is now a private road with restricted access.  The southern end as well as the northern end is now a footpath through the park.
United Services Tavern. Pub from the 1840s since, demolished
Barrier Arms. This ex-pub was previously Lads of the Village, renamed 1979. It was built about 1830, rebuilt in 1899, and then bought by Mann, Crossman and Paulin. Closed and become a vets business.
Manor Arms. This was a  Beasley's pub built about 1880. Rebuilt in 1925 but closed and demolished when Siemens closed
Tram electricity substation built
Siemens, Three-storey red-brick block. This was built on a bombsite by Siemens between Harrington and Bowater Roads.
Siemens machine shop built 1937. this was extended in 1957 as a rack-wiring factory, and is now a warehouse.
Barrier Gardens. This is a flat linear north-south park on land on part of Siemens Brothers Telegraph Works.  In the 1980s Greenwich Council got funding from the Greater London Council to landscape it. This consists of beds planted with native trees and shrubs and amenity grassed areas.

Harrington Way
This is now a cul de sac and parking area along the riverside with restricted access
Siemens - Nothing remains of the original Siemens building of 1863, which was in Harrington Way. However, ranges of buildings from 1871 to 1899 remain on the south side of the road. These are now in use as an arts complex
Mellish Industrial Estate. Long’s Wharf and Warspite Wharf were unified in the early 1970s for A. W. Mellish Ltd, rice millers. This is now an Industrial Estate, in a range of four sheds with a brick face to the river. Since 2009 the estate has also incorporated Trinity Wharf
Second Floor Studios. It was founded by Matthew Wood and Kelvin O'Mard who had met at Goldsmiths College. They opened in Greenwich High Road in the old Merryweather factories, but in 2009 moved to Mellish Industrial Estate. Emafyl Properties, the site owners, agreed to support the expansion of the artists' and crafts maker studio provision and this has led to just over 390 artists' studio being developed
The Reach.  This claims to be London’s biggest climbing wall. Around 50 lead climbs, plus 650 square metres of bouldering surface and a 4-metre-high boulder.
Siemens, The west end of the site between Bowater Road and Harrington Road was used to manufacture equipment such as galvanometers and Morse-telegraph and laboratory instruments.
Siemens.  In 1892 an electricity generating ‘central station’, said to be the first of its kind for the electric driving of a factory, was formed on the south side of the road.  Siemens probably accounted for a third of total British electrical and telegraphic production


Herringham Road
Previously North Street
Siemens. Siemens had a large building on the corner with Westmoor Street.
House of Praise Charlton branch. A part of the Redeemed Christian Church of God
3 The raceway. Go Kart Racing. Bunker 51. This is under the House of Praise and claims to be a decommissioned nuclear bunker offering paint ball and other games. This is probably the massive foundations built for the glassworks factory.
Dome shaped structure built as a salt store
Trident House Johnsen and Jorgensen Ltd. Thames Wharf. This was a glass works. Founded by two   Norwegians who came to England to sell Arctic products in 1884. They became involved with Scandinavian glass works interests. They imported glass bottles and then built their factory at the end of Herringham Road. Their factory needed 300 octagon piles of concrete to build. Bottles were then imported from Scandinavia. They became the biggest producer of phials in Europe made with tubular glass imported from Germany. They also made glass tableware in the 1930s and along with United Glass made the majority of wine glasses used in pubs and hotels. In the 1960 they began plastic moulding and made bottle closures. In the 1960s they opened a big new factory and by 1970s were the biggest manufacturers of glass ampoules in Europe. However their big warehouse was expensive to manage. The factory closed in 1981 and the 1920s buildings demolished.
Silicate Paint Works. The company had originated in Widnes as J.B.Orr and Co. with another works in Glasgow. In 1872 they set up in Charlton making a white pigment called Lithopone as ‘Charlton White, and also making Duresco the first washable distemper. They were renamed Duresco in the 1930s.Lithopone ceased manufacture in the 1950s. In 1963 they were taken over by British Dolomac and closed down and moved to Abbey Wood.
Maybank Ltd. Maybank Wharf. Maybanks took over the Silicate paint site. They were waste paper merchants who came here in the 1950s initially on the old tram depot site. In 1964 they built a factory on the paint works site in Herringham Road. This was a vast operation for processing waste paper and was eventually sold to Reeds. There are still recycling firms on the site.
45 Lafarge Tarmac. Riverside Wharf


New Lydenburg Street
Trading Estates – New Lydenburg and Ashleigh. In the 19th this was lined with low quality housing.

Riverside
Hiroshima promenade Nagasaki way – these names given to the riverside walk in the 1970s no longer seem to be used.
Charlton ballast wharf. This was east of Anchor and Hope Lane and handled sand from nearby pits. It was associated with the Glenton Railway which ran down parallel to the east side of Anchor and Hope Lane from pits on what is now Charlton football ground.
Telegraph wharf. This was east of Anchor and Hope Lane and was owned by Johnson and Phillips, electrical engineers of Victoria Way
Thames Wharf jetty built for Johnson and Jorgenson. And ran 150 feet from the bank with an arm at right angles. There was a railway crane for unloading
Wharf for Johnson and Jorgensen built lower than Thames wharf and used for unloading smaller vessels.
Thames Barrier, The north-west corner of the Siemens site was cleared from 1972 for the Thames Flood Barrier, built by the Greater London Council in 1974–84. This includes a public riverside park include a disused ticket office and river landing stage, a cafĂ© and information centre, and a visitors’ learning centre; a tented rotunda-like building used for exhibitions has been demolished.
The Barrier. There was a decision to build this in 1953 after the disastrous Thames flooding. It is the largest moveable flood barrier in the world designed for the Greater London Council by Rendel, Palmer & Tritton.  Work Began in 1972 and was completed in 1982, and first used 1983. It is a third of a mile long and runs across four main shipping lanes and is made up of 10 separate moveable steel gates of 3,000 tons each which lie on the river bed. Between each gate are concrete piers housing electro- hydraulic equipment sheltered beneath elegantly shaped stainless steel forms. There are shell-like hoods of stainless steel - seven large ones each facing a smaller one. Ships can pass through the four wide gaps between the central piers controlled by navigation lights.  The final decision for closure lies with the Thames Barrier Duty Controller. The barrier is closed under storm surge tide conditions to protect London from the sea. It is also closed during periods of high flow over Teddington Weir to reduce the risk of flooding in west London. It remains closed until the water level downstream is at the same level as upstream. The barrier has closed 175 times between 1982 and April 2015.
Promenade. There is a out promenade on the south bank which goes in a tunnel under the Control Building,
The Visitors Centre is to the south of the cafe. This is now an information centre, which is not always open.
Halletts' Panorama of the City of Bath. This was there at the time when the barrier was more promoted as a visitor attraction. It has now gone
Russian submarine. Foxtrot U-475. This was moored here for a while. It had been acquired after the break-up of the Soviet Navy and has now gone.
Howlett Barge Yard. This was a barge building and repair business founded in 1897 by William Howlett. Working with his son they repaired many vessels, but the lease expired in 1937 and the son went to work for the Admiralty.
Long’s Wharf Clark, a timber merchant from 1806–had a wharf west of the sand wharf. This was taken over by John Long, who had the sand and chalk pits on the site of the modern Morris Walk Estate. It had an eight-acre river frontage. It was also the site of a second Castle ship breaking site where figureheads removed from the old ships were displayed.  It was taken over in the early 1970s for A. W. Mellish Ltd, rice millers, who were about to lose their premises in central Woolwich. It is now the Mellish Industrial estate
Royal Iris. This wreck is lying on the mud against the sea wall. She is a former Mersey Ferry built by William Denny & Brothers and launched in 1950. During the 1960s popular bands are said to have played on her in Liverpool. She was taken out of service in 1991.  In 2002 the vessel was towed to a berth on the river awaiting a possible refit as a floating nightclub. This never happened and she just sits there rotting with constant interest from the river police.
Swimming bath. Built by the Marine Society on a river frontage in 1861 designed by G. A. Young, architect. The baths were vacant by 1908, but not demolished until the 1940s.92
Rigby’s Wharf. Occupied in the 1850s by T. and C. Rigby, Westminster builders,
Halen and Richbell. Steam-driven rocket factory from 1848. This was on the site of Long's Wharf
Siemens Road
Siemens Brothers. Up to the 1960s this works covered most of the area covered in this positing. Siemens Road was named after them,
Siemens Brothers’ telegraph and telephone works. In 1863 the firm relocated a five-year-old submarine- cable business from Millbank, to here. Karl Wilhelm Siemens had come from Prussia to England in 1843 as a young man to develop initiatives and inventions in electrical engineering. Karl Wilhelm was the London agent to his brothers’ Siemens and Halske based in Berlin and then a partner in an independent English subsidiary for which J. S. Newall & Company made cable. William Siemens’s move here allowed his firm to begin to make its own cable. In 1865 the company reformed as Siemens Brothers. This was the first German multinational in Britain and profits soared. One of the biggest early projects was the Indo-European telegraph from Prussia to Tehran, and in 1873 the Platino-Brasiliera cable. The works almost tripled in size in 1870–4. The ground was covered with mostly brick sheds within which cable was made. There were also engine and boiler houses, offices, landing sheds and secondary workshops. The southern block included workshops for the refinement and storage of India rubber and gutta-percha -. The southernmost range of this block survives. Western part housed a gutta-percha masticating shop, the central and eastern parts rubber cleaning, mixing and core covering. There is still a three-storey former core-tanks building of 1873 .they were also involved in electric-arc steelmaking. In 1881–2 an imposing three-storey and thirteen-bay office and showroom block went up at in Bowater Road’s and to the rear along Harrington Road, armouring and lead sheathing workshops were added in 1898–9, The eastern parts of this complex survive. In 1954 Associated Electrical Industries (AEI) Group, took over the whole company. The Woolwich factory was then mainly engaged in making electro-mechanical Strowger telephone exchanges for the Post Office. GEC, the Woolwich works in early 1968.

Unity Way
Telecommunications mast. This stands almost exactly where a tall chimney that served the Siemens works stood until 1969.1
Barrier control. The Port of London Authority’s Thames Barrier Navigation Centre co-ordinates the safe navigation of 33,000 vessel movements through the Thames Barrier every year. It does this 24 hours a day, 365 days a year using aids including radar, Thames AIS, electronic charts, VHF radio and CCTV
Sculptures made up of items of equipment used during the construction of the Barrier. There are two tremies, or funnels of the pipes used to pour concrete into the pier foundations. There is an anchor and chain used for mooring the concrete sill units.


Westfield Street
The road is now entirely a trading estate and light industry.
Siemens. In 1925 there were enlargements of the battery department, between Siemens Road and Westfield Street. In 1930 Siemens introduced the ‘neophone’, replacing the ‘candlestick’ form with one that became ubiquitous for decades – a semi-pyramidal black Bakelite base with a circular dial and a cradle on top for a bracket-shaped handset. To start with these were made exclusively at Woolwich.107

Westmoor Street
Prince of Wales pub. 1830s built beer house. Thus was badly bombed and Demolished in 1947

Yateley Street
Siemens. There was further Siemens building her in the 1950s, erected at right angles in 1956 as a labour and welfare centre using recycled materials from the site’s air-raid shelters

Sources
Bird. Geography of the Port of London,
Borough of Greenwich Local List
Docklands history Survey
Charlton Parks Reminiscence Project. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. South London
Second Floor Studios. Web site
Smith. History of Charlton
Spurgeon. Discover Greenwich and Charlton
Spurgeon. Discover Woolwich
Subterranea Britannica, Journal
Survey of Woolwich
Transactions of Greenwich and Lewisham Antiquarians
UK Government. Thames Barrier. Web site
Woolwich Architectural Trail