Monday, 16 May 2016

Riverside south bank, west of the Tower - Mortlake and east Sheen

Riverside south bank, west of the Tower - Mortlake and east Sheen

Post to the east Barnes Common
Post to the north Riverside Mortlake and Chiswick Dukes Meadows Sports

Alder Road
Gym. The Second Mortlake Scout Group meets here. They were formed in 1919 and are attached to St. Mary the Virgin Church. The gym is a large corrugated iron building which appears to be post Second World War or to have previously been in use as a library.
Girl Guides Centre. This appears to be on the same site as the scouts but to the rear of the Gym
Sea Scouts Hall. This appears to date from 1963 and was presumably rebuilt after the fire mentioned below.  The Sea Scout group itself dated from before the Second World War. A group from Mortlake were part of the Dunkirk landings in their boat Minotaur and worked on other boats.  In August 1950 - all ten scouts on board were killed when their vessel Wangle III was lost on a return voyage from France. A memorial stone with all the names was unveiled in their building. The hall was later burnt down but the stone, was placed in St Mary’s Church in Mortlake . The hall is now used by a day nursry. The New Stepping Stones


Bull Alley
Narrow pathway leading through brewery buildings and the riverside (on the next square). It was  named for local corn chandler, Richard Bull. 

Church Avenue
This follows the line of what was Church Path, running from St. Mary’s church to the Upper Richmond Road. At both ends it becomes a path again.
Church Path
There are two parts of this path at either end of the now suburbanised Church Avenue
Plaque. This is on a wall near the church, and says, ‘This path forms part of an old track from the village of Sheen to Mortlake church. It was used for walking funerals until the 19th when the railway cut across it.


East Sheen Avenue
All Saints Church. This is built on land left by Major Shepherd-Cross MP who lived at Palewell Lodge from 1896. It was consecrated on All Saints Day 1929 .The foundation for the church having been laid by the late Queen Mother. It is by J.E. Newberry & C.W.Fowler. It was partly burnt down 1965 and rebuilt. The style of worship is modern catholic. The Suzy Lamplugh window commemorates the estate agent who disappeared and was installed in 1996. The terracotta Stations of the Cross are by local sculptor Nathan David are in memory of her parents

Forty Alley
This footpath runs from Kingsway to St. Leonard’s Road, crossing the railway by a bridge. Installed when the railway was built this was originally a crossing with stiles.

Lower Richmond Road
This road – named as Thames Street – once ran on to the riverside from the corner of Mortlake Green. This area was eventually subsumed into the Brewery.
Mortlake Hotel. Closed in 1955 this is now used as offices. It had previously been the Kings Head which offered a horse and chaise hire business.
Church. The original parish church was on the site on which the brewery was built.  Mortlake was once part of a larger Manor and the parish church was in Wimbledon. A church was built here n 1348. This was demolished after land ownerships changed and the church built on the present site in 1543.
Burial ground. The original parish burial ground was a piece of land next to the old chapel given by the Archbishop of Canterbury in 1383.
Manor House. The brewery covers the area of the original manor house. It was demolished n the 18th,
Stag Brewery. This is now closing and is finally owned by Budweiser – AB InBev. Commercial brewing in Mortlake began during the 18th in a site near the river. From the 1830s this began to expand and more inland sites were acquired. In 1865 Philips and Wigan built a e new brewery including  a long, high brick wall fronting Mortlake High Street on which the initials P & W were carved into stone roundels beside the legend 'Mortlake Brewery, 1869'. These remain n the wall. By 1877 Phillips was the sole owner, and was joined by his snobs. He died in 1889 and the sobs sold out to Watneys. In 1898 Watney's became Watney, Combe, Reid and Co. In the 20th the brewery developed westward and increasingly. When Watney’s Stag Brewery in Victoria, was demolished in 1959, the name was transferred to Mortlake Brewery and there is a Stag relief on a block by the gates.  During the 1960s use of modern technology meant a steady decline in the workforce. In 1995 Anheuser Busch, the US brewing giant, leased the site and brewed Budweiser there
Jolly Gardeners. This is a Young's Pub called The Three Tuns in the 18th. The present name dates from 1796 maybe as a reference to market gardens locally. . The current building dates from 1922.
The Tapestry. This was previously called The Jolly Milkman and then the Pickled Newt. It was pub but is now primarily a restaurant.
37 Gale’s Honey.  In 1919 Richard Wesley Gale began bottling honey here in a building which seems previously to have been used as a laundry. There is a two storey brick workshop to the rear.
Memorial plaque. This is a war memorial to Watney Coombe and Reid employees in two world wars. This memorial was originally located at the Stag Place Brewery, Pimlico, and was relocated in 1959 when this closed.
Central School. This opened in 1904 and was built by 1905. This was initially a primary school with over sevens in a two storey building with boys and girls separated. In the 1920s it was known as a Junior Mixed and Infant School and in 1918 the larger building became a Central School. The school closed in 1969. Most of the area appears to be covered by Hanson Close although some buildings remain in community use. This is called the Old Bakery and is run by Mortlake Community Association.
Sports ground. This is a private playing field once owned by Watneys which comprises two football/one cricket pitch and a pavilion. This is currently used by Barnes Eagles Football Club

Milton Road
Juxon Almshouses. In 1626 John Juxon bequeathed housing for four poor widows. Almshouses built n 1746 were in Church Path and demolished in 1911. They were rebuilt to front onto Milton Road.

Model Cottages
Model Cottages. These are behind the Waitrose car park. They were set up by the Labourer’s Friendly Society 1853. There is now a plaque on the entrance to this defect.

Mortlake Green
Green. This is said to be the old village green but this had been disproved and cited as an area where brewery drays were parked. It was once called Kings Arms Field. , and was given to the residents of Mortlake by Earl Spencer in 1860 a recreation ground. It has mature trees and shrubs and a basketball practice area. With three shallow stepped terraces from the railway with low stone walls between them. Near the railway is a paved area with brick planters and seating on Sheen Lane. A seat in the upper terrace commemorates Queen Elizabeth II's Silver Jubilee. A mound was created and planted in 1985 by Mortlake Brewery, to commemorate 500 years of brewing in Mortlake.

Mortlake High Street
This is now a wide road with blocks of flats and some 18th houses and early 20th council buildings. Until the 1960s this was a narrow high street lined with shops – road widening has totally changed its character.
Electric substation
Stag Brewery. Bottling Building. This was constructed in 1869. It is no longer used for bottling but for storage. There is a rendered area on the south elevation which reads “1869 Mortlake Brewery”. The building has cast iron columns at basement, ground and first floor which hold up arched painted brick ceilings.
2-14 Royal Mail Mortlake and Barnes Delivery building. This dates from the 1950s
Sugar refinery. This was sited to the east of Bull’s Alley in 1688. It was owned by William Mucklow and in 1729 was owned by John Bentley. By the early 1740sthe site was in use as a pottery
Sanders Pottery. The Mortlake Pottery was founded by John Sanders in 1743 and it became London’s largest stoneware works.  Sanders came from Lambeth who moved into his new manufactory in about 1743 when he took over the disused sugar boilers factory.  He made blue and white tin-glazed earthenware –utilitarian pieces for daily use.   His son and then his grandson continued to run the business until 1794 but by 1823 the building was empty. 
Kishere Pottery. This was opposite the Sanders works on the south side of the road.  Joseph Kishere had worked for Sanders but a well off wife and a lottery win allowed him to set up on his own. He made salt glazed stone ware which is durable and relics tend to survive. The products were decorative with plaques showing a variety of popular scenes,
Tithe Barn, demolished 1865. This was to the east of the Kings Arms and latterly used as a corn dealer’s store.
Montpelier House. This 18th house is shown on the 1829 Panorama of the Thames and is said to have been on the site of the house and laboratory of John Dee.
John Dee’s house. Dee was the mathematician, alchemist and astrologer to Elizabeth I who lived in Mortlake from 1567 to his death in 1608.  His home here is said to have been his mother’s house, which he returned to following travel around Europe. Later it included laboratories for his experiments, a cast library as well as rooms for his family and servants.  It is said to have been sited net to the church. It is also said that in the 18th a large panelled room with red and white roses carved and coloured still remained. The tapestry works is said to have been built on the site
John Dee House. Council flats – the block is also said to be on the site of John Dee’s house.
Lower Dutch House. This was part of the Tapestry Works and said to be on the site of John Dee’s house. It became flats in 1877 but was bomb damaged in the Second World War and demolished in 1950. A partial structure and the water gate remained and the site is now a riverside garden with a granite memorial.
Tapestry Works.  The Royal Tapestry Manufactory was established under the patronage of James I in 1619.  James I awarded Sir Walter Crane a Charter a monopoly on the production and sale of some tapestries. The works had 18 looms and employed around 50 workers - many of whom were from Flanders. Commissions for tapestries were received from the King but the manufactory had financial difficulties, Charles I commissioned compositions of Italian artists such as the cartoons of Raphael. The English Civil War brought a temporary halt to new tapestries. An Act of Parliament of 1663 effectively deregulated the industry and several master weavers left the Mortlake works then setting up independent works. Under Charles II, prosperity returned under the management of Sir Sackville Crow but the works gradually declined towards the end of the 17th century and it closed in 1704
Tapestry Court. This site includes the Queens Head Pub. This was a Watney’s pub by the river. It was rebuilt in the 1890s closed in 1932 and is now flats. It was next to the Lower Dutch House.
Tapestry Alley or Queen's Head Court is a narrow opening to the river.
St. Mary the Virgin. After ownership of the Manor passed to the Crown the original chapel was demolished and this church built on a new site. The church and churchyard are thus said to have been given to the parish by Henry VIII 1543. A stone in the tower is inscribed "VIVAT RH8 1543" but may not be genuine. The current structure is mostly by Arthur Blomfield, who lived locally.  The chancel dated from 1885 and the nave is by Blomfeld’s firm built in 1905. This work replaces a rebuilding of 1840 by S. Beachcroft. There is a parish room, rector's office, and choir vestry built in 1980 by Maguire & Murray. The tower is 1543 ordered by Henry VIII to be seen from the river. In the church is a 17th tapestry panel woven at Mortlake.  John Dee the astrologer is said to be buried in the chancel and to have lived opposite the church.
Churchyard.  This was enlarged in 1725/6, in 1742 and again in 1799. It was closed to burials in 1854. It was handed to the local authority in the 1920s. It was restored as a garden in the 1980s and is maintained by the Friends of Mortlake Churchyard as a Quiet Garden. The earliest surviving tomb is that of the astrologer John Partridge, who died 1715.  There is a labyrinth erected in 2003.
Path leading into the churchyard. This marks the former boundary of the parish.
40 Charlie Butler pub. This was built in the late 1960s to replace the nearby Old George.  It was named after the recently retired head horseman at Young's brewery. It closed in 2012
The Old George. This Young’s house was built in the 1600s and demolished in 1963 for road widening
44-46 Gaiety Cinema. This was opened in 1913 by the Mortlake Cinema Company. It closed in 1930. The building was burnt down and demolished in 1961, having been used by the Flush Block Co,
Two Brewers pub. Demolished 1963.
115 Acacia House. An 18th house retaining original features. In the 1850s this was the home of the local catholic priest who ran a boys school here.
177 Afon House. An 18th house, once the home and practice of Dr Charles King
119 Suthrey House.  In 17th this was Upper Dutch house and the projecting part is the only surviving buildings of the Tapestry Works.  In the early 19th t was the home of Charles King, Vestry Clerk who preserved ancient parish documents.
Chitton Alley. In the 18th this led to a small building which may be an outbuilding or boat store belonging to Tower House.
Jubilee Gardens. This is on the site of the Barnes Council depot. It was laid out in 1977 and various names were suggested, but local opinion favoured calling it Jubilee Gardens for the Queen's Jubilee in 1977
Castelnau House. This was originally Tower House.  It belonged to the Boileaus, a Huguenot family who came to England as refugees in 1685. In 1804 Sir John Peter Boileau bought it and named it Castelnau House after his ancestral estate in France. From 1895 to 1907 it was Ashleigh College and was later demolished.
121 The Old Power Station. This is the site of the borough Electricity works. Barnes Urban District Council Electricity Undertaking had been authorised by Provisional Order 1898 and electricity was first supplied from a works built in 1901. Coal was delivered by barges and traces of rail lines remain under new riverfront pang.In 1948 the Electricity Works were situated in the High Street. The number of consumers rose from 125 in 1902 to 12,145 in 1947. At nationalisation The London Electricity Board took over the site and it went out of use. The original turbine hall now houses the local youth club and with some reminders of its past.
123 The Limes. Built in 1720, for the Countess of Strafford. This gas now been converted into flats. The facade and porch are later additions. The house's former residents include Franks, Jewish merchant bankers; Lady Byron, Quintin Hogg, and was used as the  Council House for the Municipal Borough of Barnes from 1895 until 1940, when it was bomb damaged. It originally had seven acres of grounds, now built over.
Field. The limes, after which the house opposite is was named, were in a field on the other side of the High Street.  A field here was later used by the first Barnes Football Club
123 Fire Engine Station. Opened in 1904 by Barnes Municipal Borough. It was originally built as a single-storey structure with a steamer, hose cart and wheeled escape next to Council offices. Two further storeys added shortly afterwards.
The Lord Napier. This was a Watney's pub closed in the 1980s . It his pub also had a separate building at the rear with a bar that overlooked the river.  The stables of the dray horses were next door,
Tideway Yard. This was the old council depot – in fact the depot extended up the High Street on either side of the fire station and electricity works which were no doubt built on council owned property. The Municipal Borough was set up in 1894 and this site seems to have been extant from 1895. The depot was constructed in 1901, and building which are now a restaurant and offices were the stables for the Barnes Council refuse depot. The depot was contained a de-lousing station and the borough mortuary. In the Second World War there were barracks for air raid wardens and a building on Mortlake High Street was built to house the council steamroller. In 1981 the council, by then pat of London Borough of Richmond proposed to demolish the whole site and leave it as an open space but there was public pressure to keep some of the buildings. . An iron walkway was designed for the old stable buildings using cast iron from the County Stand at Aintree racecourse. The gatehouse at the entrance to Tideway Yard was also kept.
Mullins Path
Mullins Path Open Space. Small shady area with play equipment.
Workhouse – this was opened in 1732. The building is still extant as Capel Court. The Workhouse was the building next to Mortlake Hall, now called Capel Court.
29 Capel Court. This is flats in the old workhouse. When it was converted into flats in 1984, planners required its outside appearance to remain the same. In 1819 part of its garden was used for the building of school premises. In 1843 the building was handed over for school premises.
Church of England National School. A School House was built adjacent to St Mary’s church in 1670. Lady Dorothy Capel and Edward Colston left money for a school in the 18th. In 1815 a school was built on what was then the workhouse garden. This was used for infants and then later, in 1843, the workhouse was converted into a school for older children. This was called Mortlake Church School and in 1890 a new infants' school was built through a donation from the Duke of Fife further up the road. The school closed in 1982. The infant school remains as a community centre end nursery school.
30 Mortlake Hall. This is the old Church of England Infants School. It includes Mortlake Play Centre and community spaces.
The workhouse/school was sold for housing to the Richmond Churches House Trust. The Trustees of Mortlake Church of England Educational Foundation kept the Infant School building and half an acre of land. That is Mortlake Hall and its playground.
Sleigh’s Almshouses. These had been based near Palewell Common and later used as a pesthouse (isolation hospital) until 1668. In 1712 it became an almshouse and in 1845 it was sold and half the money used to build three almshouses near the infant school in Mullins Walk.  Later the school acquired the site of the new almshouses

North Worple Way
Worple Way was a track across fields. This road on the north side of the railway was however laid out by the railway.
59 The Old Clinic. This was the site of Mortlake Liberal Club which was here at least into the 1970s from the 1890s.  The current building -- which, despite the plants growing all over it looks much younger than 1890s – is offices. It was at one time the Steeper Orthopaedic Clinic
61 St.Mary Magdalene by Gilbert Blount, 1852. There had been no Roman Catholic church in the area and Mass had been held over the stables of Portobello House, which was demolished in 1893. In 1849 Fr John Wenham, had been tasked with founding the parish and an anonymous donor provided most of the money needed to for the work. St Mary Magdalene’s was consecrated in May 1852 Mortlake was not a prosperous area at the time and the fear was that parents wanted to put their children to work as soon as possible to help the family’s income at the expense of their education. A school opened in 1853 next to the church.
Churchyard. The most interesting tomb in the churchyard is the mausoleum in the shape of an Arab tent where the coffins of Sir Richard Burton and his wife Isabel Arundell can be seen through a window at the back. There is also the grave of Sir John Marshall who chief magistrate of the Gold Coast and helped found the first Roman Catholic church in the country. It is a significant site to Ghanaian Catholics,
Wigan Hall. This was at the end of Alder Road. Originally it was the Frederick Wigan institute built in 1890 and used as a parish meeting room. Wigan was a Southwark hop merchant. This also appears to ahve had a library at the rear on the site of what is now the Guide and Scout headquarters. It appears to have been built on the site of the Conservative headquarters and is marked on maps as such in the 1890s. Demolished in 1972. 

Observatory Road
This is named for the Observatory founded at Temple Grove by William Pearson which would have been nearby the site of this road.

Palmers Road
St Leonards Court.  A red brick turret on the lawns is the entrance to a Second World War air raid shelter built in the 1940s and now listed. The only part that's visible above ground is a red-brick conical turret to the rear of the lawn, which is the shelter's entrance. Below ground are two sleeping areas: one for males and one for females, and two day rooms, It was built to hold about 48 people - approximately half the number of flats in St Leonard's Court. There is a plaque near the entrance about it.

Palmerston Road
52 site of the Edgar Memorial Hall. This was the old chapel of Temple Grove School eventually destroyed in Second World War bombing and replaced with housing.  It had been built in 1910 in memory of an earlier headmaster of Temple Grove School.

Park Avenue
Richmond Park Academy. This is a revamped version of the school built in 1926 as East Sheen School for Boys. In 1939, boys from Richmond County School were merged with this school which was renamed Richmond and East Sheen County School for Boys. Seniors were based in the original Boys' school building nearer Park Avenue, Following the Education Act 1944 the School became known as Richmond and East Sheen County (Grammar) School for Boys. In 1957 it was renamed Shene County Grammar School for Boys, using the Anglo-Saxon spelling of the name for Richmond previously adopted by the Old Boys' club. During 1957 new buildings were added.  From 1973 it was a comprehensive school as Shene College, predominately for the sixth form and in 1977, merged with the sixth form colleges. It became Shene School. In 2010 Richmond Park Academy opened on the same site. It is part of the Academies Enterprise Trust chain.

Queens Road
This was an area of cottages developed by Charles Smith in the 1860s and then known as Charlestown.
Queens Arms. This is now a private dwelling –but much of the external Charringtons tiling and signage is retained. The pub name appears in a panel on a wall in Queen's Road and Another panel, in Prince's Road

Richmond Park Road
76A Barnes Home Guard Association. After formation in 1944 the association bought the site of the tennis club called the Sheen House Hard Court Ltd.  In 1977 a new clubhouse was built.
There is a Second World War ARP shelter in the Home Geared Association grounds.

Rosemary Gardens
Bootmakers' Almshouses. The Master Boot and Shoemakers' Provident and Benevolent Institution was founded in 1836 by six master bootmakers. This was for the provision of an asylum at Mortlake for aged and infirm persons, who had been engaged in the boot and shoe trades, and their widows and these were set up in the 1850s. In 1930 they were sold by auction.  They still exist, in private use, but have lost their original frontage features.

Sheen Lane
In the middle ages this was the road which connected the Archbishop’s Manor at Mortlake and the Royal Palace at Richmond. It was part of the main route south to Kingston. The line of the road reflects its origins, which would have followed field boundaries
Manor House. The original manor house for Sheen was sited near the junction with Christchurch Road but had been superseded by the 18th.
194-198 Sheen Motors.  This has been a motor engineering works since at least the 1930s.
Temple Grove. This was built in 1611 on the site of the manor house of East Sheen and known as Sheen Grove. Sir John Temple owned it in the late 17th and may or may not have been a residence for Jonathan Swift. The Temples were the family of which the later Prime Minister, Lord Palmerston, was a member. He was to sell the house when he came of age.  In 1811 it became the Temple Grove Boys School and was acquired by the astronomer William Pearson. He established an observatory there, dedicated to the memory of the murdered Prime Minister, Spencer Percival.  He measured the the diameters of the sun and moon during the partial solar eclipse of 1820, with one of John Dolland's divided object-glass micrometers. He went on to found the Royal Astronomical Society and then to move away in 1821. The school moved to Eastbourne in 1908, having had many famous pupils, and the house was demolished.
188 Tower House Preparatory School. The building was previously a music school. This private fee paying school dates from 1931 and is a charity.
Sheen House. This was rebuilt in 1786. In the 1830s the tenant was Earl Grey while Prime Minister and in 1848 a temporary home for the French royal family. It later became a club and was demolished in 1907.
Stable building of Sheen House. In yellow brick and has 7 bays, with a little clock on top. Parts of t date from 1788.
The Cedars.  18th house demolished in 1930.
Cedar Court. These flats are on the site of Cedar House. There is a blue plaque to broadcaster Richard Dimbleby who lived here.
Odeon - Picturedrome. This was built on the site of the Larches in 11901l. It was demolished in 1929 and replaced by the Sheen Kinema.  It was designed for Joseph Theatres Ltd. By architects Leathart and Grainger with a Christie 2 Manual Organ. In 1940 it was renamed the Empire and in 1944 The Odeon. It closed in 1961 and was later demolished.
War Memorial. This is a plain obelisk with an inscription. There s a paved surround with an engraved sword and a roll of honour. It says: “In Memory of the Men of Mortlake and East Sheen who gave their Lives
Milestone Green. This area, at the junction with Upper Richmond Road is probably the original centre of East Sheen, 
Milestone. One face says we are X (10) miles from Cornhill in the City and another face gives the distance to Hyde Park Corner.
Larches. This was a big house on the corner with Upper Richmond Road. B” company of the 27th County of London Battalion Home Guard with company headquarters in The Larches in Sheen Lane, just round the corner from the present Club house
Pig and Whistle. This pub is on the site of part of the Bull but faces Sheen Lane.  It was built in 1987 but the sign on the front says “Est circa 1924”.
Sheen Lane Centre. This was built in 1979 on the site of a pub called the Wheatsheaf and an area known as Hampton Square. There is a mosaic to honour local boy Tim Berners Lee and the World Wide Web
Wheatsheaf. Closed in 1962 and demolished. A lot of Saturday night fighting went on there.
Level crossing. The level crossing gates were removed in October 1975 and the signal box, on the south east side, was dismantled later.
Railway Tavern.  The building dates from around 1800 and was converted into a pub in 1846 when the railway opened. It is no Closed
Mortlake Station.  Opened in 1846. It lies Between North Sheen and Barnes on South Western Trains. The railway deviated to the north in order to reach Mortlake – unlike earlier railways which had deviated because of physical features
Dissenters' Chapel. This was built before 1716. It was replaced by a chapel in Vernon Road in 1901 and this building was converted into shops.  It was demolished in 1992.
27 Court House. Built in the 1890s to serve Mortlake. This is now a branch of the Thomson ‘Free’ School.

South Worple Way
This is on the line of the original Worple Way path
Spur footbridge over the railway. This was once a series of stiles but replaced after an accident in 1891. The other footbridges have much the same design.
Portobello House. This was south of the road on the site of Howgate and Oaklands Roads. It was built in 1740 and demolished in 1893
British School. This opened in 1843 for the children of non-conformists. It closed in 1871.

St Leonards Road
This area at the east end of the road was once known as Littleworth Green.

Tapestry Alley
Passage way to the river from Mortlake High Street
Plaque about the Tapestry Works site

Temple Sheen Road
East Sheen Baptist Church. This opened here in 1933

Tinderbox Alley
Baths – on some maps a ‘Baths’ is marked here.

Upper Richmond Road
Since the 1920s this has been part of the South Circular Road.
Cedar Parade. Shops on the site of Cedar House Grounds
Bull..This pub stood at the crossroads with Sheen Lane and probably dated from the 17th..   It was demolished in 1937 and  rebuilt with input from by Blomfield. This was demolished in 1987.
216 Hare and Hounds. This is a Young’s pub dating from 1776. The current building is early 19th

Vernon Road
“To the Congregational Church” sign with pointing hand in ceramic tile
Thomson House School. This is a ‘free’ school apparently set in memory of a Mr. Thomson. This appears to be in the Congregational Church building.
Congregational Church. Dating from 1902. Designed by F C Howgate and originally known as the Congregational Church, East Sheen, it was noted for its Doulton terracotta work and plaques.[

Waldeck Road
Large brick factory building, presumably attached to 37 Lower Richmond Road. There is a hoist at first floor level and a painted sign abut Mortlake Bullard club

Worple Road
St.Mary Magdalene Catholic Primary school. The school dates from the 1850s and was attached to the church


Sources
Brown. Barnes and Mortlake Past
Closed Pubs, Web site
Clunn. The face of London
Field Place names
Firestations. Web site
Kingston Zodiac
London Borough of Richmond. Web site
London Encyclopaedia
London Gardens Online. Web site
Parker, North Surrey
Penguin Surrey,
Pevsner and Cherry, South London,
Pevsner. Surrey
Thames Basin Archaeology of Industry Group. Report
The Depot. Web site
Wheatley and Meulenkamp. Follies

No comments: