Wednesday, 4 May 2016

Riverside - south of the river, west of the Tower, Barnes - Lonsdale Road

Riverside - south of the river, west of the Tower, Barnes - Lonsdale Road


This post shows sites south of the river only, North of the river is Old Chiswick

Post to the east Castelnau
Post to the south Barnes Bridge
Post to the north Chiswick riverside to Bedford Park



Ferry Lane
Ferry. There had been a ferry from Chiswick in the middle ages but this ceased to function. It had begun again by 1820 and was reached via Ferry Lane.

Lonsdale Road
Swedish School. This is an independent boarding school consisting of a nursery and primarily school for for pupils aged up to 16.  It was founded in 1907 in central London and moved to Barnes in 1976.
Harrodean School. This is a private fee paying school dating from 1993 when it took over the old Harrod’s Sports Club buildings – which was called the Harrodian Club.
Reservoir.  The 'Leg of Mutton', like its larger neighbour the Barn Elms Reservoirs, has only a thin strip of land dividing it from the Thames. The reservoir was built in 1838   by the West Middlesex Water Co and decommissioned in 1960. Developers wanted to build housing and a shopping centre on the site, but this was opposed by local residents. The Council bought it from the owners in 1970 and in 1990 it became a Local Nature Reserve.  Tthe dropping water level since its use as a reservoir and various stages of natural succession around the margins of the reservoir are a major feature of its wildlife interests. The sloping sides help diving species such as pochard and tufted duck to feed easily. To encourage waterfowl a number of floating rafts have been added. There is a mile-long perimeter path around the reservoir.


Sources
Harrodean School. Web site
London Borough of Richmond. Web site
Swedish School. Web site
Tucker. Ferries of the Lower Thames

No comments: