Saturday, 13 August 2016

Riverside south bank, west of the Tower. Laleham Burway

Riverside south bank, west of the Tower. Laleham Burway

This post covers sites south of the river only. North of the river is Laleham Thameside

Post to the south Chertsey Abbey
Post to the north Penton Hook and Penton Hook Marina
Post to the east Laleham


Abbey River
This river was a leat cut by the monks of Chertsey Abbey to provide power for their mills. It leaves the Thames here at Penton Hook, flowing down to just above what is now Chertsey Bridge.

Custom Meads
This is an area of the Abbey Mead which is used to define boundaries.

Laleham Ferry
Ferry. This is an ancient ferry site which was probably preceded by a ford.  It was owned by Chertsey Abbey. In the 16th it was used for cattle and herdsmen had separate rights from the passenger ferry.   In the early 19th it was sold to and operated by a Richard Trotter.  There were a number of people he was required to tale for free – including Lord Lucan and his family and staff.  In 1888 Lord Lucan transferred it, and the ruinous ferry cottage, to a Mr. Harris. The ferry began to be run as part of a leisure area and ferried cricketers and golfers over the river. The ferry house was on the Surrey side and burnt down in 1990.  The ferry no longer operates,


Ferry Lane
Pathway which accesses the ferry from Chertsey Abbey.

Laleham Reach
Ferry House
Michael Dennett. Boat builders and restorers. In business since 1950 and using traditional methods of boat building and joinery. Michael began at the age of 15 at Horace Clarke's Boatyard in Sunbury and then undertook an apprenticeship at Walton Yacht works producing motor torpedo boats for the Royal Navy. He then moved to George Wilson’s yard in Sunbury. He began business himself at the age of 22 working out of the back of a van. He later launched his own yard in 1988 with his son Stephen

Laleham Burway
This is a triangular area of land on the Surrey side. It is part of an island divided from the Abbey Mead by the Burway Ditch, and another stream from Mixnams on the north. It is part of Chertsey parish but belongs to Laleham Manor. It is called Island of Burgh in the endowment of Chertsey Abbey in the 7th. The pasture was divided into 300 parts called 'farrens,' with tenants some of who got the feed of a horse, others food for a cow and a half. The area was excluded from local enclosure acts but was enclosed in 1813 by the Earl of Lucan.
Earthwork – this is a rectangular enclosure thought to be medieval.
Cricket ground. A Chertsey Club played matches games against both Croydon and London in 1736. Chertsey v Croydon was at the Laleham Burway ground – and this is the first important match known to have been played here. A game played in 1771 led to changes in the Laws of Cricket following the use of a bat wider than the wicket. The last top-class match was Chertsey v. Berkshire in 1783. Chertsey Cricket Club had "ceased to exist" by 1856
Golf Club. In 1903 a group of Chertsey gentlemen decided to build a golf course and rented land from the Earl of Lucan. The area had been drained by the monks at Chertsey Abbey and the area of the course tends to remain dry. Jack White, Open Champion in 1904, designed the course and The Earl of Lucan was invited to be the Club President in 2008 the club was sold to Thorney Park Golf Ltd, and it was relaunched as Laleham Pay and Play Golf Course.


Mixnams Lane
Penton Park. This is part of a large area of retirement homes covering a network of roads which fan out from in a network of reads. These are all small bungalows, mobile homes.
Penton Hook Marina and camp site.
Mixnams Ponds. Commercial fishing venue
Mixnams Gravel Pit. Where significant prehistoric finds were made. A Viking sword was also discovered in 1981 by an employee of A.J.Bull during the machine extraction of gravel.

Sources
Laleham Golf Club. Web site
Berkeley Parks. Web site
Michael Dennett. Web site
Surrey Archaeological collections. Web site
Tucker. Ferries of the Lower Thames
Wikipedia. Web site. As appropriate

No comments: