Thursday, 15 September 2016

Riverside north of the river and west of the Tower. Laleham Thameside


This post covers sites north of the river only. South of the river is Laleham Burway

Post to the north Penton Hook and Penton Hook Marina
Post to the south Chertsey Abbey
Post to the east Laleham

Thames Path
Laleham Wharf. This faced the river between Vicarage Lane and Blacksmith’s Lane and is marked by posts bearing the City of London Arms who had jurisdiction here from 1197.. Here  bundles of osiers from the opposite bank were unloaded before being barged to London furniture makers. Goods carried also included coal, timber, rushes grain, malt and slate.
Toll gate, which charged a penny toll.
The Greyhound public house. In the 18th this was used for meetings of the Court Leet,
The Barn. House by Sir Edward Maufe in 1909 for the musical comedy star Marie Studholme. It was named after one of her hit songs, "The Little Dutch Barn".
Osmanthorpe. Large house facing the river with an estate behind which reached to Ferry Lane. Home of Rear-Admiral Greville in the 19th. It is however still given as an address in 1942
Laleham Ferry. A slipway exists where the ferry once ran, and a ferry house once stood here. This was a pedestrian only ferry which was owned by Chertsey Abbey. The ferry was closed until the retirement of  ferryman George Knight in 1972, having begun in the mid-1930s. The ferry was mostly used by visitors to Laleham Golf Club.


Sources
Exploring Surrey’s Past. Web site
Tucker. Ferries of the Lower Thames

No comments: