Post to the west Laleham Thameside and Laleham Burway
Post to the south Chertsey Abbey Chase and Laleham Littleton Lane Quarry
Post to the east Shepperton Studios
The gates of Laleham Abbey
Coverts. It is a an early 18th house with battlements
The Thatched Cottage. This is a cottage orne built around the same time as Laleham House for which it was the lodge. It has ornate barge boards, a thatched roof and veranda supported on rustic posts, ornamental chimney stacks and cast iron windows with a lattice design.
Laleham House. This was called Laleham Park, and later Laleham Abbey and was the home of the Lucan family. It was built by John Buonarotti Papworth in 1805 for the Richard Bingham, 2nd Earl of Lucan. He later rented it to Queen Maria II exiled queen of Portugal from 1829. It was later altered to add stables and a farm by Papworth for Bingham, the 3rd Earl of Lucan (1800-1888), who re-engaged John Buanarotti Papworth to complete further alterations including new stables and a farm for George Bingham, the 3rd Earl – he is the one who caused the Charge of the Light Brigade in the Crimea. The 4th Earl Charles Bingham had lifestyle that his income could not support and sold large portions of the estate. In 1915 George Bingham, the 5th Earl rented the house to the Grand Duke Michael of Russia. The House was sold to Lord Churston in 1928. After the death of Lord Churston the house was used by nuns of the Sisters of St Peter the Apostle, Westminster who used it for a convent school. It was bought by a property developer and converted into flats in 1981.
Laleham Park. Laleham House stands in 83 acres of parkland with many specimen and other trees
This was once called Church Lane
Coachman’s Cottage. This is a red-brick 19th building which was once a coach house with living quarters above.
Laleham Cottage. This was built as the head-gardener's house for the High Elms Estate
Perry’s Cottage. These were the two under-gardeners' cottages for the High Elms Estate
The Old Forge built for the High Elms Estate
Forge Cottage built for the High Elms Estate
Plane Tree. This was part of the High Elms estate and housed the estate stables and the laundry
High Elms. It is a villa dated from about 1820. The original estate stretched from Blacksmith's Lane to Beech Tree Lane.
War Memorial. This commemorates villagers who died in the two World Wars. The Second World War extension was unveiled in 1954. It has a brick and stone base holding a tapering shaft and cross with decorative carvings including a ram. There are names on three sides of the plinth.
All Saints Church. This has a 12th nave with clunch pillars and arcades which still remain. Despite its age Laleham church was a chapel of ease to Staines only becoming a parish in 1858. There is a pre-reformation altar slab and some medieval graffiti. The tower was brick built in 1730 to replace a wooden steeple and was buttressed in the early 19th. The clock dates from 1842. There are 8 bells installed in 1951 by the Gillett & Johnson foundry of Croydon There are several Lucan family tombs and hatchments as well as a tablet to Matthew Arnold’s father. The red brick Lucan Chapel is on the north side.
Graveyard. The Lucan Memorial was used to bury the Earls of Lucan. There is the grave of Matthew Arnold, his wife and three of their sons.
Lych-gate. This is a memorial to a Mr Thornton of Vicarage Lane who died in 1908
Church Farm. It is a 17th brick farmhouse with a central chimney and a living room on either side of it, It once housed the bailiff to the Lucan Estate and was sold by them in 1966.
Recreation Ground. The land for the recreation ground was given to the village by the 5th Earl of Lucan in 1922 and the pavilion is named Lucan Pavilion. The ground is home to a number of clubs. This includes the Staines Lammas Football club which was founded in 1926.Staines Hockey Club founded in 1890 and have used this site since 1961, the West Middlesex Scale Modellers, and the Laleham Football Club.
Parish Office and Heritage Centre
Laleham Church of England School. This was opened in 1865 on land given by the 3rd Earl of Lucan. A new junior school was built in the playground to the rear in 1959
Village Hall. The land for the hall and surrounding buildings was given to the village by the 4th Earl of Lucan in 1907 and the foundation stone laid by Lady Lucan in 1908. The hall is used by many local groups and was used by the Laleham Players 1940 -60s
Glebe House. This was built in 1865 as the vicarage and it replaced Thomas Arnold's house and private school which were demolished in 1864, with the bricks being re-used in the new school. Glebe House is now a care home. Thomas Arnold moved here in 1820 as a partner in a new school and his young family, including his famous son Matthew, were born here. He was later to become famous as the head and educational reformer at Rugby School.
Turks Head. The name of the pub may refer to the Turks Head knot, nut more romantically is thought to be abut soldiers brought bring dried heads as trophies from the crusades. The pub dates from around 1867.
Named fort the adjacent cedar tree
This was formerly Cheese Lane. The road is said to have passed through the Osmandthorpe Estate
Daisy Field. This lay behind the walls in the road
Walls, parts of these walls are remains from the Lord of the Manor's estate which stretched to the riverside. The Lords of the Manor were the Lowther family, the Earls of Lonsdale. In 1803 the Manor, was bought by Lord Lucan.
White Gates. Care home
Muncaster House. This was earlier called Moorhayes House and is an 18th house. It was famous in the early 19th as the first preparatory school in the country; founded by the Rev. John Buckland when he and his brother-in-law, the Rev. Thomas Arnold, settled in Laleham to found a school – and later became famous as the head of Rugby School. The house later became a hotel and is now flats.
Thorobred Cars. These buildings have been a garage since the 1920s. Previously housed a bakery and a Post Office, There is workshop space behind originally stabling for a horse and cab service.
The Old Cottage. 18th
Dial House. This house has a sundial dated 1730 which blocks one of its central windows.
Three Horseshoes. A building here is shown on a map of 1623, and part of the current pub is known to have been used as an inn in 1624. In the 18th it became part of the Manor of Laleham and was sold by auction in 1802.
Laleham Farm. The farm was owned by W.J.Lavender who rented it to Mr. Bransden although it was sold to an aggregates company in 1977. The Bransdon family continue to grow market garden crops and cut flowers there. They won the English Nature Farming for Wildlife award in 2003 and have since planted a1km of new hedgerow, created a semi wet area and planted wild flower strips. The farm is owned by Brett Aggregates Ltd and here has been much gravel extraction over 20 years. The farm had been progressively restored and In 2009 Brett Group was awarded the 20th anniversary award of the Mineral Products Association 40th Anniversary award for outstanding restoration at the Farm
This was once known as Love Lane’.
High Elms boundary wall
Cedar tree which gives Cedar Close its name.
Burway Rowing Club Boathouse. This was originally Staines Town Rowing Club, which was in existence in as 1921 based at Tims opposite Church Island. In 1935 Tims moved and the club moved near to the Anglers Rest at Egham. In 1939 members left and the boat house fell into disrepair. After the war they hired a boathouse from Jack Harris of Laleham and in 1948 changed their name to Burway Rowing Club so as not to confuse with Staines Boat Club. In 1976 rent rises led them to leave their premises and Strodes College offered to house the boats, and club members worked hard to keep the Club alive. Eventually Spelthorne Borough Council offered a piece of land near Laleham Park plus a loan of £5000, and the Sports Council offered a grant of £10 000. local Architect Bob Davies desinged a boathouse and rhe foundation stone was laid in 1979, with an upstairs extension added in 1992.
Wall – there was once a high wall here which has been replaced by houses in the 20th. Peaches were grown against it and a vine which produced black grapes.
Old Farm. An early 19th remodelling of an early 18th core. Inside are older features.
Riverside. These are 18th with an older roof and it is thought this was a barn rebuilt
All Saints Church. Web site
British Listed Buildings. Web site
Burway Rowing Club. Web site
Historic England. Web site
House and Heritage. Web site
Imperial War Museum. Web site
Laleham Farm. Web site
Laleham Residents Association. Web site
Staines Hockey Club. Web site
Staines Lammas Football Club. Web site
West Middlesex Modellers. Web site