This post gives sites north of the river only. South of the river is Lonsdale Road
Post to the south Dukes Meadows. More Sport and Barnes
Post to the east Castelnau
Post to the north Chiswick Riverside to Bedford Park
This stretch of road is called Great Chertsey Road on some maps, but not on others. The whole road was originally called Alexandra Avenue, but some of it has been changed.
Office block. This was the White Swan pub. This was closed in the 1980s and is now flats and offices.
This brook comes into the area from its origins on Ealing Common. It was the original boundary of Lord Burlington’s estate in Chiswick and was widened and canalised when the grounds were landscaped in the 1720s, The brook fed the lakes and fountains at but is now carried in a pipe underneath the lake because on the dirty water from the many local laundries. It then goes by culvert underneath the main A316 to its outfall into the Thames. The line of the brook is now that of the Promenade Approach Road.
8 George and Devonshire. This originates in a 17th building and two cottages which Thomas Mawson, the brewer, bought in 1700. This was known as the George but by 1826, the name Devonshire had been added because of the local presence of the Dukes of Devonshire. There are stories of a smugglers' tunnel between here and the river and there is a bricked up doorway in the pub. The care park and function room are the sire of the stables.
Hogarth Business Park – this trading estate is being rebuilt as housing by Berkeley Homes.
Hogarth Business Park. This complex of offices and warehouses replaced the Cherry Blossom boot polish factory in the 1980s. Business Park. Some buildings here were by Covell Matthews Wheatley from 1985 onwards.
Cherry Blossom. The Cherry Blossom polish works was first of all the Chiswick Soap Company owned by brothers Dan and Charles Mason in 1878. The soap works was on a small part of the site later covered by the trading estate. Their works grew however to cover a large area a between Burlington and Hogarth Lanes – including the site of a large house in grounds called Providence House. They wanted make use the 5-inch circular pieces of tin-plate which they had as a by-product. They thought of making smaller tins which could contain shoe polish – but one which would not rub off on clothing. Cherry Blossom Boot Polish was invented by their chemist and was launched in 1906, at 1d per tin to become a big success. The works expanded into a triangular-shaped site between Hogarth and Burlington Lanes where they made a range of shoe and household polishes, including Mansion House Polish. The Chiswick Soap Company changed its name in 1913 to the Chiswick Polish Company and went public in 1916. The name changed again in 1930 when Chiswick Polish amalgamated with the Nugget Polish Company to become Chiswick Products Ltd. In 1954 the business was acquired by Reckitt and Colman and Production ended here in 1972 when they transferred work to their main factory at Hull. Cherry Blossom is still however a market leader.
St Marys Convent and St Josephs’ Hospital. This was originally an Anglican convent run by the Order of St Mary and St John. Founded in Kensington in 1868. It is now the Order of St Margaret. In 1896 they bought land from the Duke of Devonshire for the convent which was an Arts and Crafts style by building Charles Ford Whitcombe. It included St Joseph’s Hospital for Incurables. After the introduction of the National Health Service this was replaced with a residential home for the elderly and 1986 the name St. Joseph’s was dropped
Corney House (or Lodge). This was a 19th house on the corner of Powells Walk not the 16th riverside house of the same name. It was demolished for road widening in the 1930s
The Cedars. Built in the early 1860s. It was taken over by Cherry Blossom around 1911 and the Laboratory and Men's Canteen built in what had been the grounds. There was also an aviary owned by Dan Mason. The house was used as Stores, and the ground floor rooms used for carton making machines.
Marked as ‘Chiswick Ait’ on Greenwood's map of 1819. In the 17th there are records of it being called ‘Twigg Eight’ 1650 – island with brushwood'.'. It is thought that it may have been the site of a prehistoric stilted village and later a Danish encampment. In the 1930s the local authority bought it from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners and it is now a nature reserve. It has however been subject to severe erosion and is submerged at high tide and is thus uninhabited
Green pole. This is at the end of the island and is to tome rowers on the boat race course.
Chiswick House and Grounds
Chiswick House. This square covers only the site of the house and the area of the park to the east of it. Chiswick House. The original house, visited by James I, stood to the east of the present building. This was owned by Sir Edward Wardour, and possibly built by his father aeound.1610. He sold it to to Robert Carr, 1st Earl of Somerset in 1624 and in 1682 it was sold to Charles Boyle.
Chiswick House. This is a Palladian villa designed by Richard Boyle, Lord Burlington, and completed in 1729. The design was very shocking when it was built – it is not actually a house but a ‘temple to the arts’ and used as a picture gallery. It may include some Masonic symbolism. Until the 1780s was used as an extension to the main house. After Burlington’s death in 1753 property eventually passed, by marriage, to William Cavendish, 4th Duke of Devonshire and then to his children. Under the Cavendish family the house was a Whig stronghold where both Charles James Fox and George Canning died. During the 19th it was rented and became an asylum. In 1929, the 9th Duke sold it to Middlesex County Council, and it became a fire station. It was hit by a V2 in 1944 and the wings were demolished in 1956. It is now maintained by English Heritage.
Chiswick House Gardens. This square covers only the gardens to the east of the house. The gardens were created by architect and landscape designer William Kent. They were inspired by and are an attempt to symbolically recreate a garden of ancient Rome
Conservatory. This 300ft long conservatory was one of the earliest large glasshouses to be built and the longest such structure for its date. It was designed by Samuel Ware for the Duke of Devonshire in 1820 and overlooks the Italian garden. It was rebuilt in the 1930s and has recently been completely restored with a new frame and glass. In 1828, it was planted with camellias and some original plans remain and it is thus the oldest such collection in England and includes some very rare plants.
Italian Garden. In 1814, the 6th Duke of Devonshire, commissioned Lewis Kennedy to design a semi-circular 'Italian Garden' in front of the Conservatory. The beds were laid out in geometric patterns and in 1880 the then head gardener, Michael May, simplified the layout and this design remains.
Southern Walled Garden. This has planting of 140 fruit trees and soft fruit. The walled gardens were originally part of the neighbouring Moreton Hall estate which the 6th Duke of Devonshire bought in 1812, incorporating the gardens into a larger productive area to support Chiswick House. Before this the area was a wilderness garden. It is now to be dedicated to horticulture with a quarter taken up with a lawn for events and activities. Archaeology has discovered what may be a shove house. There is also a domed brick well capped with a Portland stone slab
Doric column and rosary. The Doric column is thought to have been designed by Lord Burlington in about 1729 and is surmounted by Venus d’Medici. It is surrounded by the rosary with a 19thb radial layout of paths
Deer House. This stands at the end of a Ha-ha stands a Deer House and was designed by Lord Burlington. There was originally another Deer House. Both had pyramidal roofs and 'Virtuvian' doors. As Orangery, was also associated with the Deer Houses in this area,
Inigo Jones Gateway. This replaced the second Deer House which was demolished for it in 1738. This had been at Beaufort House in Chelsea from 1621 and was bought and removed by Lord Burlington and rebuilt in the gardens here in 1738
Cafe. Designed by Caruso St John
Chiswick Lane South
This is now a short lane leading to the river and cut off from its northern continuation to Chiswick High Road by A4. It is almost entirely taken up with the brewery.
Griffin Brewery, In the late 1600s, there was a private brew house in the gardens of Bedford House on Chiswick Mall and another nearby in the cottage of Thomas Urlin. His son in law was Thomas Mawson who took over as manager at Urlin’s death. He bought the George and then the Bedford House brew house. By 1786 David Roberts had the premises. Handing on to his sons, and in 1816, it began to be called the Griffin name taking the name over from Meux and Reid’s whose business had collapsed. The Thompson brothers were joined by Philip Wood, in the partnership, and then John Fuller. Fuller was wealthy and was soon the majority shareholder. By 1843 the Thompsons were no longer involved and a younger Fuller was in charge. From 1845 it was known as Fuller Smith & Turner which continues. The partnership acquired the Beehive at Brentford in 1910 and Wiche Brewery in 1923, By 1970 Fuller’s had-a considerable trade supplying theatres and clubs. The brewery produced London Pride bitter, E.S.B. and Hock Mild. Apart from these draught beers bottled London Pride was available and Golden Pride, a bottled barley wine. They also had about a hundred tied houses, most close to the Brewery. The central part of the original 18th building built as the owner's house is now offices. The brewery buildings were rebuilt in 1979-81 but some original remains. It is now the only remaining large scale traditional brewery in London
Riverside gardens. The gardens along the Mall are private and were created in the 1880s as part of a scheme to use river embankments for mains carrying water, sewage, gas etc.
Old Vicarage. This old Parsonage House was built in 1657-8 following a decision of the Vestry in 1652. In the late 18th changed to have a stuccoed front and a window on the Mall. It was sold in 1973
Vicarage. This was built in 1973 when the old vicarages were sold in what had been the grounds of the building.
Woodroffe House. This is a 17th red-brick building.By 1819, together with its neighbouring houses to the east, it was part of the Lamb Brewery estate owned by the Sich family until 1923.
Bedford House. This was built in the mid-17th along with the house next door. By 1829, the tenant was the first John Sich, owner of the Lamb brewery who was there until 1836. The Brewhouse was at the back of the house. Recent residents include Michael Redgrave, from 1945 to 1954.
Gazebo. In the grounds of Bedford House, mid-l8th Gothic.
Eynham House. This was originally part of Bedford House in the 17th. Like its neighbours there are exit gates at the back into the brewery yard in case of flooding.
Barn behind Eynham House is an 18th brick barn originally the stables for brewery horses
White Bear and Whetstone Inn. This was here in the 18th,. In the pub is an old whetstone, with a plaque "I am the old whetstone, and have sharpened tools on this spot above 1,000 years".
Thames View House. The house carries a Civic Trust Award plaque for flood defence work carried out along the Mall by the Greater London Council in 1979.
Belle Vue House. This was owned by the Griffin Brewery and the house was the traditional home of the chief brewer
Crane - Opposite Belle Vue there was a mobile crane used by the brewery for transhipment from barges. It was also used by Cherry Blossom to unload wax.
1 Belle Vue Cottages. This is one of a terrace of cottages standing behind the brewery building. This cottage is at right angles to the road forming part of a group around a courtyard. There are granite setts and an 18th gate piers and gate.
Red Lion House. This was built soon after 1700 for Thomas Mawson’s brewery. It was licensed by 1722. There was then a drawdock opposite. Outside was a whetstone used by osier cutters for sharpening tools with the inscription "I am the old whetstone, and have sharpened tools on this spot above 1, 00(0) years". It is now in Gunnersbury Park Museum. By 1915 the pub had lost its licence when it was still a Fullers pub. Since then it has been a private house.
Buildings of the Griffin Brewery
Prebendal Manor House for St Paul’s Cathedral, built in 1570. This was on the site of a 19th terrace which goes between Heron House and Thames Bank. It became the home of a friend of John Evelyn. The building later became College House – named because of a relationship with Westminster school. The school used it as rural retreat after 1571 and retained it until the 18th. The Whittington Press was here in the 19th. Later, after 1852, it was occasionally used as a lecture hall, and in 1875, just before it was demolished, Ellen Terry played there.
Chiswick Press. This was in College House from 1818 to 1852 owned by the Whitingham family. They produced hand-printed and finely designed books with woodcut engravings. It had previously been in High House from 1816. Whittingham had patented a method of extracting tar from old rope and they used the hemp from ship's ropes for paper and had a steam engine on site. The extracted tar was used to make the ink. In 1852 under Charles Whittingham it moved to the City of London.
Thames Bank. In the Second World War this was an infants’ school here for children who remained in London. It later moved to Hammersmith
College House.and space This is a space to the east of Thames Bank House. I papers to have been left vacant because it was planned to build a bridge across the Thames here with a section based on Chiswick Eyot. The house on the site dares from the 1980s
Greenash. House originally called Eyot Villa. It was built in 1882 by Belcher for Sir John Thorneycroft. It was converted to flats by E. Musman in 1934. In 1941 it was turned into a hostel for people suffering trauma from bombing
The Pier House is managed by the Chiswick Pier Trust with a hall and conference room for hire. The Trust holds events to educate people about the river, its ecology and history. This pier provides eight residential moorings and visitor moorings with all-tide access, and pump out and shower facilities. It was opened in 1997
Chiswick Pier Canoe Club was formed in 1999
Thames Explorer Trust. This was founded in 1988 as an educational charity which promotes access to the Thames from source to sea. While providing activities to increase access to the river. They raise awareness of working beside rivers and haw to manage risk.
Chiswick Sea Cadets. They are based on the pier and keep their vessels there.
RLNI Lifeboat Station. This is one of is one of four lifeboat stations on the Thames operational since 2002, providing a round-the-clock rapid response service. They cover upstream Richmond Lock to Battersea Power Station.
This is a group of houses around a small gates area off Burlington Lane. It dates from around 1680 and forms a sort of forecourt to Boston House
Boston House. This dates from the 1680s and is apparently named after Viscount Boston later the Earl of Grantham who extended it in the 1740s. In the early 19th it was a school and it is claimed that this is the original of Miss Pinkerton’s academy in Thackeray’s novel Vanity Fair and there is a plaque to that effect. In 1899 it became St Veronica’s Retreat for women who were problem drinkers. In 1922 it was bought by Cherry Blossom as a social club for female staff. The surrounding buildings were let out to employees as homes. The grounds were turned into a sports club. It is now flats - and the grounds now housing development,
Chiswick Wharf. This is a terrace of townhouses built in the 1980s on a site known as Church Wharf.
Slipway. This is a public slipway with a 19th stone causeway runs into the river. It was the site of a ferry service to what is now Lonsdale Road in Barnes. It was also used by local fisherman and in the 19th a fleet of eel boats operated here. The slip and causeway were renovated in 2077.
Residential boats. These moorings were established as a response to housing shortages in the Second World War. Houseboats moored here include Greenwich built Leonard Piper.
1-7 these modern town houses are part of the Chiswick Wharf development. They replace industrial sites on an area once known as 'Slut’s Hole' and occupied by river workers.
St Nicholas. The church is dedicated to St.Nicholas, the patron saint of fishermen. The earliest mention of it is in 1181, with reference to St. Paul’s Cathedral and the Prebendal Manor of ‘Chesewic’ had been created. It stands on a narrow site which means it is almost as long as it is wide. The poet John Donne was Prebend here in 1625. The church as it stands now dates from 1635 with a tower, now the oldest part of the church, built in 1435. The tower has eight bells, five from 1656, and there are links with Oliver Cromwell through his daughter. Excluding the tower, the church was rebuilt in 1882-1884 by ecclesiastical architect, John Loughborough Pearson.
Churchyard. This has the graves of several important artists and architects. William Hogarth is here with an epitaph by Garrick. Another painter, Philipp de Loutherbourg is buried in a tomb designed by Sir John Soane and William Kent, architect and designer is also buried here. Charles Tilston Bright who laid the first Atlantic Cable is also here. There is a tablet saying that the wall was built in 1623 by Francis Russell to keep pigs out. The extension to the church yard, which closed in the 1850s, is reached from Corney Road.
St. Deny’s House. This is described as the curate's house and is the ancillary building for the church standing opposite it. It is named after the Community of St. Denys an Anglican religious order of nuns founded in 1879. The building was used until 1973 to house a satellite community of three sisters. It now is used by a variety of community based organisations. It was purchased by the parish in the late 1990s and has since been extended to the rear to provide a church hall.
The Old Burlington. This was the Burlington Arms established in around 1550 and closed in 1924. It is thought to be the oldest, non ecclesiastical, remaining in Chiswick. It is said to have a cupboard outside it in which to lock up drunks. It was one of two pubs which stood on either side of the Lamb Brewery entrance. It is now flats.
Lamb Cottage. This was the Lamb Tap - Tap for the Lamb Brewery which was adjacent. It was of two pubs which stood either side of the brewery entrance. It was a pub from at least 1732 to 1909. It is now a private house.
Lamb Brewery. Between the two pubs runs a lane marking the entrance to the Lamb Brewery. Down the lane are the brewery remains. The brewery was purchased in 1790 by coal merchant John Sich based on an older brew house in the grounds of Bedford House. It was acquired by the Isleworth Brewery Ltd in 1920, closed and the plant sold in 1922. Some buildings were bought by Fullers who subsequently sold to the Standard Yeast Company who used them until 1952 and now used as offices. A complex of buildings remain largely converted to flats and dominated by the red brick tower built in the early 20th and with ‘Lamb Brewery’ painted around the top storey. It was designed by brewery architect William Bradford with dormer windows, fancy ironwork and other decorative features. There is a water tank at the top and the brewery operated it on the gravity system.
Standard Yeast. The firm produced yeast and other ‘baker’s sundries’. They gave their address however as ‘Lamb’s Distillery’.
Guardship. This building was a store for the Lamb Brewery in the 19th when beer was pumped under Church Street to the cellar where it was stored for ageing and conditioning before delivery. The pipes and an internal lift are said to be still extant. Bottled beer was also stored here. Hops were stored on the upper floor and the remains of a crane are visible. The building was later used by a silversmith who stored his collection of ship models and had a figurehead, a ship's wheel and anchor sign were on the outside. The name of ‘Guardship’ relates to its use by the Sea Scouts in the 1920s.
7 The Post Office, this 18th building retains a shop window
In the early 19th this had been it was a cluster of cottages known as Slut's Hole, later renamed Fisherman's Place
Thornycroft’s shipyard. John Thorneycroft was a shipbuilder and the son of Thorneycroft, the sculptor.Founded in 1864, the firm specialised in high-speed vessels, first launches and later torpedo boats and then torpedo boat destroyers. Their first steam launch, Nautilus, could keep up with the rowing eights on boa trace day, which caused a sensation. Vessels were designed by John Thornycroft who worked in partnership with his brother-in-law John Donaldson from 1873. Their high-speed launches included the Sir Arthur Cotton which in 1874 claimed to be to be the fastest vessel in the world. Torpedo-boats formed the main output in the 1880s, 222 being built for the British and foreign navies between 1874 and 1891, followed from 1893–4 by the first torpedo-boat destroyers. However the increasing size and speed of the craft made it difficult to negotiate bridges downstream and the increased draught of the destroyers meant superstructures such as masts, funnels etc, had to be removed and refitted at Greenhithe. Thornycrofts built their last naval vessels at Chiswick in 1905–6 and had finally left for Southampton in 1909.
Gwynne's Works. The Thornycroft site was acquired by Gwynne's Engineering which had begun as a firm of pump makers in central London. They moved to Hammersmith from the 1860s and took over the Thorneycroft site in 1917. They made aircraft engines for the Admiralty during the Great War and, later, cars following their acquisition of the Albert Car business. Car production was moved to Chiswick and in 1923 the name of the car was changed to Gwynne-Albert. In 1922 Gwynnes started to make the Gwynne Eight, based on the design of the Spanish Victoria car. Financial problems arose in 1923 and a receiver was appointed, but production continued. About 2,250 examples of the Eight were made. A larger model of car, the Gwynne Ten, was offered from 1927. About 600 were made before production ceased. The company was dissolved in 1927 and left Church Wharf in 1930.
Reckitt and Coleman. This Hull based firm had taken over Cherry Blossom in 1954. Wax had been delivered by barge to Church Wharf under Cherry Blossom and as Reckett and Coleman in 1952 they build a large brick warehouse here. This was demolished in 1980.
National School. This is shown on 19th maps on Church Wharf backing onto the churchyard. This is presumably the charity school founded in 1707 and which expanded until 1813 when the boys moved elsewhere. In 1819 it became a National School the girls remaining at Church Wharf. And the building here was still extant in 1923 when it was repaired and it was demolished in. 1951.
Regency Quay. Housing in a gated development.
Corney Reach Way
Corney Reach development, this is an estate of flats and houses built on the riverside between Church Wharf and Pumping Station Road in the mid 1990s. This area was the estate of the old Corney House developed as an industrial area in the 19th.
Old Corney House. This was first built on the riverside by the Bishop of Rochester. In 1542 it was conveyed to John Russell, who became the 1st Earl of Bedford and it remained with Russell family until 1659 when it was sold. The house was demolished before 1705 and a new house and tenements built. It subsequently passed through several owners. The house and grounds were sold at auction, in 1829, and bought by the Duke of Devonshire.
LEP Transport Ltd. The firm had its main packing department here. LEP Transport was a freight company established in London in 1910 but originating in the 1890s in Le Havre. The company name was derived from the initials of the three founding partners; Longstaff, Ehrenberg and Pollack. It eventually closed in the 1990s.
Valor. This Birmingham based firm is said to have had a works here. They made oil fired domestic heating equipment, moving later to gas fires. This works was still extant in the 1990s.
Chiswick Old Cemetery. This was originally designed as an extension to the adjacent churchyard. At the entrance from Powell's Walk concerning the donation of the land by the Duke of Devonshire. By the north wall is the bronze tomb of painter James McNeill Whistler, and there are other artists as well as politicians and soldiers. There is an empty mausoleum for Italian writer Ugo Foscolo. There is a Great War Memorial by Sir Reginald Blomfield for the Imperial War Graves Commission in 1919 in Portland stone with a bronze crusader sword. It is backed by a screen wall bearing the names of those whose graves are not marked by headstones
Chiswick’s Municipal Stables, these were at the Corney Road depot. The stable block was built in 1910 to accommodate horses used by Chiswick UDC for carting refuse. The horses were tethered in stalls on the ground floor, while fodder was stored and processed above. Lighting was by electricity from the Chiswick Electrical Supply Corporation. The stall divisions were surplus stock from the London General Omnibus Company and were bought at auction in 1909 and the stables were planned around them. The stables formed part of the small complex of buildings concerned with cartage and refuse disposal. In 1911 a farrier’s shop was added to an existing smithy and in 1913 an isolation stable was erected. In 1914 a committee recommended the purchase of two steam and two motor lorries. By the early 1920s the number of horses had declined and a garage for motor vehicles had been built.
109 The Feathers. This pub stood on the corner of the Hogarth Roundabout. Closed in 1999 to be replaced by a car showroom.
Landmark Car Co. This is a very large and dramatic car showroom which also contains the Landmark Gallery; which they claim to be an art collection “associated with the automobile”. Outside is the UK's largest digital LED panoramic advertising screen.
Whittingham Court. This is a rebuild of six almshouses, under a Scheme of 1934. It was planned in 1971 and carried out by Chiswick Parochial Charities, with money from the sale of the Hopkin Morris homes. Eighteen flats, were opened a in 1976
Cavendish Primary School. This opened in 1952. It was built on concrete stilts to raise it above the flood level and was built in a modular fashion with sections pre-fabricated in concrete and then brought to site for assembly. With the opening of the Thames barrier the flood risk was removed and the underside of the school was enclosed to create a nursery.
Dukes Meadows Children’s Centre along with the Riverside Community Day Nursery this is on the Cavendish School site.
Gates to the Promenade Approach Road. These have inscriptions with the road name. The Duke of York opened the road in 1926. It was then the vehicle and pedestrian entrance to the newly built riverside promenade and recreational area of Dukes Meadows. Following the erection of a flood barrier in the park in the 1940s the road was cut off from the main area of the park. The main gates then were closed at the Edensor Road entrance to only allow pedestrian access only.
New Chiswick Swimming pool. This is Council owned on the southern side of Edensor Road. It is a 25 metre indoor swimming pool, gym, and associated facilities. Chiswick Pool was first built in 1910 as an open air lido with a second pool opened in 1931. The pools were closed in 1981 and the New Chiswick Pool was built in the early 1990s by a private developer as part of the redevelopment of the site
Great Chertsey Road
The road from the Hogarth Roundabout running south west as the A316 is partly known as the Great Chertsey Road – and by some as that throughout its length. On this square it reaches as far as the corner with the non-A316 section of Burlington Lane. It was built and designed in the 1930s as part of a grand arterial roads programme. The first section through Chiswick was the only part of the route to have the A316 number.
This road, leaving the Hogarth Roundabout, is a section of what was the Great West Road, A4, leading to the start of the M4. It is described as ‘essentially just a slip road’ leading eventually to the M4 and the Chiswick flyover. It is phenomenally busy.
McCormack House is the large building on the south west corner of the Hogarth Roundabout. It was, built 1985 on the site of an office block of the Chiswick Polish Company (aka Cherry Blossom aka Reckitt and Coleman). It was originally called Flemming House and then as the Axis Centre or Axis House. It was built by Covell Matthews Wheatley in 1983-5.
Hogarth's House. This Queen Anne house was the home of painter William Hogarth and was his country retreat. His wife Jane lived there along with his mother in law and the family used it every summer from 1749 until Hogarth’s death in 1765. It then stood in a country lane surrounded by fields and market gardens. It is a tall, simple brick house of three storeys, five windows wide, with a central wooden oriel window overlooking the garden - where there are mulberries. Lieutenant-Colonel Shipway, who rescued the house and opened it to the public as a museum to Hogarth in 1904. Shipway gave the house to Middlesex County Council in 1909 and ownership passed in 1965 to Hounslow Council. The house was refurbished in 1996-97 to mark the tercentenery of Hogarth's birth.
43 Lifeguardsman pub. This pub was destroyed during an air raid in the Second World War.
Linen House. This appears to be the premises of the Hogarth Laundry now converted into flats. The laundry was a large business with branch offices and - from the dates on the front of the building – probably opened in 1879. The other date of 1933 could refer to the date they moved to this building which is shown on the 1935 OS as a laundry.
Hogarth Roundabout is a junction on the A4 and at the northern end of the A316. It is named after the painter William Hogarth, whose house was near the site of the junction.
Flyover. There is currently a temporary structure here built in 1969. Plans for a permanent flyover existed before it was built and in the 1960s several ideas were investigated.
Mawson Arms. Early 18th building WHICH was originally a private house and from 1716 to, 1719 was the home of the poet Alexander ¬¬Pope and his parents. It was renamed as "Fox and Hounds" in 1772, and then as "Mawson Arms/Fox and Hounds" in 1899. The pub was originally sited to the south in a building which is now offices, next to the current Brewery Shop. In 1898, when the name changed, it moved.
Blue plaque to Alexander Pope. He lived here 1716-19 and published his ‘Preface to the Iliad’ and ‘Eloisa to Abelard’, which he may have written in the surviving garden building, now converted to an electricity substation.
Netheravon Road South
Wall - the wall which runs along the road is roe remains of the Prebendal Manor wall and is 17th
Formerly a footpath connecting Chiswick House with the parish church
Promenade Approach Road
This follows the line of a conduit leading from the ornamental water in Chiswick House. This is fed by the Bollo Brook. The line of the brook follows the line of lime trees.
The Duke of York opened the Promenade Approach Road in Chiswick in 1926. It formed the vehicle and pedestrian entrance to the newly built riverside promenade and recreational area in Dukes Meadows.
Flood barrier. In the 1950s following floods a barrier was formed in form wartime rubble, and placed over the road between the pump house and the now Riverside Drive.
Dukes Meadows. The land here belonged to the Duke of Devonshire, from where it gets its name. It is in a bend of the river and was formerly osier beds and market gardens, In 1923 Chiswick Urban District Council bought some of the land from the 9th Duke of Devonshire. By 1926 the facilities included football and cricket pitches, a paddling pool, sand pit and playground, and the riverside promenade. It was opened by the Duke of York in 1926. Now it remains largely taken up with private sports grounds, and allotments.
The Friends of Dukes Meadows was set up in 1998 to conserve and improve the Meadows and the Riverside. a Community Orchard completed, and a Wild Flower Garden has been created on the disused paddling pool site.
Duke's Hollow. This is on the site of a 19th boathouse that burnt down in the 1970. It is now managed by the London Wildlife Trust and Hounslow Conservation Volunteers as a nature reserve. It is covered by the tide twice a day and is in its natural state
Pumping Station Road
Sewage works. This opened in 1879, it closed in 1936 and replaced by Mogden Works.
Rubbish destructor. This was built in the late 19th and was used to burn compressed household waste which was then burnt to power the plant and to make flagstones,
Grove Park Farm. A farm building of the Grove Park Farm on the Duke of Devonshire estate became changing rooms for the football and cricket teams, with a flat for the Park Keeper; in the 1970s the ground floor was used by the Masonians Bowls Club.
This is part of the Corney Reach development and a group of homes called Thames Crescent.
Arthure. Life and work in Old Chiswick
Banbury. Shipbuilders of the Thames and Medway
Buildings to see in Fulham and Hammersmith
Brewery History Society. Web site.
British History Online. Chiswick. Web site
Cavendish Primary School. Web site
Cherry Blossom Heritage. Web page
Chiswick House and Gardens. Web site
Chiswick Pier Trust. Web site
Chiswick W4. Web site
Clegg. The Chiswick Book
Closed Pubs. Web site
Clunn. The Face of London
Doricdesign. Web site
Grace’s Guide. Web site
London Borough of Hounslow. Web site
London Gardens. Online. Web site
Mawson Arms. Web site
Middlesex County Council. History of Middlesex
Parks and Gardens. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. North West London
Pub History. Web site
SABRE. Web site – A316, Hogarth Lane, roundabout, etc.
Thames Explorer Trust. Web site
Thames Panorama. Web site
Valor. Web site
Walford. Village London
Wikipedia. Web site. As appropriate