Friday, 28 October 2016
Riverside west of the Tower, north bank. Chiswick riverside to Bedford Park
Post to the east St.Paul's School and Hammersmith Riverside
Post to the south Lonsdale Road and Old Chiswick
Post to the west Chiswick Turnham Green and Acton Green
1a. Hogarth Health Club and Hogarth Clinic. This opened in 1983 on the site of the Chiswick and West London Bowling and Lawn Tennis Club which itself dated from 1908. In the 1960s it became the Greater London Sports Club. The Health Club includes outdoor sports like tennis as well as ‘treatments’ and a ‘healthy" food café.
Baptist Church. In 1841 a few local Baptists joined Congregationalists in a chapel in Chiswick Lane. In 1866 the Congregationalists went elsewhere but the Baptists were formed into a Baptist Church with the help of. Charles Spurgeon. They moved to Annandale Road in 1883 and an iron building was put up and within a few years fund raising went ahead for a new building – which was opened by Spurgeon in 1897. It was in red brick to designs by architect John Wills.
This is part of the Roman Road from London to Bath – superseded by many by passes
Bath Road Halt. This was opened in 1909 on the North and South West Junction Railway and was the line's only major crossing. It consisted of a level crossing and a wooden platform which was south of the road. There was a footbridge, which was detached from the platform, and sited north of Bath Road itself. On the south east side was a crossing keepers cottage and south of that signals and a sidings. It closed in 1917. The route southwards is covered in new housing and there is a modern house on the site of the station.
62 home of Camille Pissarro in 1897. He painted the adjacent railway line
14 Arts Educational School. This co-educational specialist school moved here in 1986. The building previously housed the Acton and Chiswick Polytechnic which was on the site of the Chiswick School of Art. ArtsEd offers pupils aged 11-18 an education with dance, music and drama
Chiswick School of Art. This opened in 1881, in a building designed by Maurice B. Adams. This was one of the public buildings on the Bedford Park estate designed to develop a sense of community. Originally it offered ‘Freehand drawing in all its branches, practical Geometry and perspective, pottery and tile painting, design for decorative purposes – as in Wall-papers, Furniture, Metalwork, Stained Glass. By 1897 they also offered courses which included laundry work, carpentry, and plumbing in 1897
Acton and Chiswick Polytechnic. This dates from 1899, when Middlesex County Council took over the School of Art .It was extended to become the largest polytechnic in Middlesex by 1908. It was badly bombed in 1944 and rebuilt in a simpler flat roofed style. The buildings were extended again in 1953-4 and formed part of Hounslow Borough College from 1965.
Bedford Park Stores. This is next to the pub and also by Norman Shaw in 1880. The original operators of the Stores went into liquidation in 1893. The building was taken over by car dealers and repairers; Keene’s Automobile Works, in the early 20th but closed by 1904. Along with the works, behind in Flanders Road, they were later taken over by Mulliners, remaining there until 1968 by which time they were associated with Rolls Royce
Tabard. The Tabard was built in 1880 as part of a range of buildings by Norman Shaw to include the Bedford Park stores. The swing sign outside was painted by T M Rooke. Inside original tiling by William de Morgan and Walter Crane are at front entrance and the right hand bar. On the first floor is the Tabard Theatre which was opened following fund raising by Equity. It has featured for example Al Murray, Harry Hill and Russell Brand.
St Michael and All Angels. The church originated in 1876 in a temporary iron structure on Chiswick High Road. The incumbent, Rev Alfred Wilson, fund-raised for a permanent church. The present building was consecrated in 1880. The church has an Anglo-Catholic tradition. It was designed by, Norman Shaw as estate architect for Bedford Park. During the Second World War, the roof - as well as most of the stained glass – was damaged by a bomb and stained glass was replaced in 1952 to a design by Lawrence Lee
The Parish Hall. This was designed in 1884 Bedford Park architect Maurice B. Adams,
Bedford Park Corner
This is the address of a few corner shops but also the hub of the housing and businesses around this area of Chiswick, called Bedford Park. This claims to be the ‘world's first garden suburb’. The developer was Jonathan Carr, who bought land here in 1875 near to the newly opened Turnham Green Station, having already successfully developed an area of South Kensington. The first architect for the estate was Edward William Godwin but Carr later took on Richard Norman Shaw. His designs for the buildings were successful in creating variety whilst employing a limited number of house types and set the tone for the estate. In the 1880s there was a church, parish hall, club, stores, pub and school of art, and the area became very fashionable and a bit arty. Inevitably the area declined through the early 20th and post Second World War. A local civic society was set up in 1963 and the estate was listed. It has pretty posh ever since.
This was part of ‘New Chiswick’, which was a low status area built for the workers in the many new industries of the late 19th.
St Mary Magdalene’s Church. This was built in 1848 designed and financed by a banker, John Sharpe. It was demolished when the area was cleared and it had been damaged in Second World War bombing. Magdalene House in Devonshire Street is on the site
Berestede Road Open Space – described as a ‘pocket park” with benches and lined densely by mature trees. Before the widening of the Great West Road here there were houses on this site, which were presumably demolished when the road was changed.
Griffin Court. On the site of Beverley Road School – the railings and frontages laid on what could be the footprint of the school.
Beverley County Primary School. Built 1926 as an infants' school. It closed in 1978. The site is now housing.
All Saints Mission Church and club room. A brick church was built here in 1901 by the parish of St Nicholas to serve the growing population. It closed after 1922 and became the site of Beverley Road School
Binns Terrace. This is built on the site of the girls department of the Glebe School which opened in 1877 and closed in 1926.
This appears to be an old lane running down the parish boundary between Chiswick and Hammersmith. It is identified as a lane in the mid 18th and known as ‘British Grove’ from the mid-19th – presumably because of the British School which was there.
Motor Repair Works. This was on the east side at the north end of the street.
West London French Laundry. This laundry is shown on maps of the 1890s on the west side of the road. In 1914 their chimney was the subject of smoke abatement notices.
20 British Grove Studios. This is a recording studio owned by Mark Knopfler. Alongside modern studio technology are 1960s items. Part of the site was previously in use by Island Records, belonging to Chris Blackwell. It was previously the Royal Chiswick Laundry – and this is engraved on the gable of the main building. In the 1970s the building is shown as a laboratory.
British School. The Hammersmith, Chiswick and Turnham Green British School opened in British Grove in 1837 and continued until 1864.
Royal Dye Works. This is shown on maps of the 1890s on the west side of the road. It appears later to have been a Post Office Supplies Department. A dye works shown opposite in the 1890s is now at the rear of the British Grove Studios with an address in St. Peter’s Square
British Grove Works. This was used by Frederick Walton, the inventor and exploiter of linoleum who is said to have made the first sheet of lino here. He later patented this. His works and house here were on the west side of the road
Joinery Works. This was on the west side of the road,
This square covers only the western half of the common
This was once known as Back Common and was part of the Bishop of London's Fulham Manor, It remained rural until the mid -19th and was created as the area urbanised, rather than being traditional common land.. Prefabs were erected around the perimeter of the common for emergency housing following the Second World War
Drinking fountain provided by the Metropolitan Drinking Fountain Association in the 19th
Chiswick High Road
Chiswick High Road and Turnham Green constitute the main shopping area of Chiswick.
Houses which replaced Hammersmith and Chiswick Station. The station lay on the north side of the road on what is now Ravensmede Way.
25-29 Coach and Horses. This closed in 1992 and replaced with a facsimile in 2012. The current building was a Schooner Inn and later Jo Smo’s Bar and Diner, then Nacho’s. It is said to have had a stream running through the bar, a lit up coach and horses outside and to be full of entertainers from the BBC. It was licensed by 1761 and used by carters on their way to London. This was demolished in 1900.
70 The Power House. Built as a power station for the London United Electrical Tramway Company in 1899-1901 Designed by W.C.Green with a 200 ft steel chimney. High car door, three brick sheds for 20 trams, etc. sidings for the Line off system trials car shed. Machine shop and traverses. Over the door were female figures of 'Electricity and Locomotion' and 'LVET'. Inside was a carved staircase and gallery. The Power House continued to function as a sub-station until the closure of the trolley bus service in 1962. Its 260ft-high smoke stack was demolished in 1966. Most of the site was owned by British European Airways and equipment was stored there. It is now called the Powerhouse and includes Metropolis Studios. It was converted in 1985 by David Clarke Associates, with flats tucked into the roof. The vast lower spaces have been imaginatively converted to recording studios by Powell- Tuck Connor & Orefelt, 1989.
74 Stamford Bridge Garage. This was originally the London United Tramways Chiswick Depot. It is an art deco building surmounted by a clock. It opened as a bus garage in 1980 after a two-year construction taking over from the Turnham Green Garage. . It had previously been used to operate the British European Airways bus service between Heathrow Airport and the West London Air Terminal. The garage closed in 1996 and became a store for unlicensed buses held for possible future use. In 1999 it reopened to cater for increased demand in the area.
80 Paragon. This was a shop turned into a J.J.Moons pub in 1992
94 Rambert Dance Company. ¬It is planned to turn this building into a cinema. Marie Rambert was a Polish dancer who turned to teaching and founded the Rambert Dancers in London in 1926. The company has flourished ever since to international acclaim. They left this building for the South Bank in 2013.
122 The Roebuck. This was the Chiswick Eyot in 1983, the Rat and Parrot in 1996 and the Bird Cage in 2002. It was also the Slug and Lettuce for a while. This was licensed from at least 1732, and was where the Manorial Court held their meetings. It had a bowling green and extensive stabling. The original building was demolished in 1890 and replaced by the present building with statues of deer on the gables.
145 Packhorse and Talbot. This was called The Pack Horse from 1698 until 1811. In 1698 people plotting to assassinate William III met here and 1725 when the landlord acted as a witness for highwayman, Jonathan Wild at his trial. It was also the meeting place of the Brentford Turnpike Trust between 1764 and 1776. It was rebuilt in the 1920s
160 The Old Cinema. This was built in 1887 as the Chiswick Hall and was converted into the Royal Cinema Electric Theatre in 1912. It closed in 1934. In 1939 it was a furniture shop and is now an antiques shop
Sulhampstead House. This was on the corner of Devonshire Road and was the home of chemist Professor William Brande of the Apothecaries’ Company and consultant to the early gas industry.
185 George IV. This dates from at least 1771 when it was called the Lord Boston’s Arms and the Boston Arms by 1790. It was taken over by Fuller, Smith & Turner in 1826 and the name changed to the George IV. It was rebuilt in 1931/2. In 1838 an omnibus service ran from here to the City. It now hosts a comedy club.
Statue of Hogarth. This statue is the work of Jim Mathieson and was unveiled in 2001 by Ian Hislop, assisted by David Hockney, patron of the statue appeal. The pug dog at Hogarth’s feet was unveiled by a pupil from William Hogarth School.
177-179 Prince of Wales. This pub closed in 1971 – the Prince of Wales badge is said to remain on the front of the building. The current building replaced a predecessor licensed by 1792. It ws rebuilt in the 1930s
197 All Bar One. This was the fire station the sign for which lies under the fascia. The station was opened here in 1891 and operated there until 1963. It was built in 1891 and probably designed by Arthur Ramsden, surveyor to the local board. It has a clock tower which may be an early example of a hose tower. There is a helmet carved above the top window.
210 old Police Station. This was opened in 1872 and closed in 1972. It was associated with the police station in Brentford.
Linden House. This was a large house fronting on to the main road after which Linden Gardens is named. In the late 18th it was home of Ralph Affleck, publisher of The Monthly Review and later of Thomas Wainwright, transported for fraud and possible murderer.
201 - 211 Police Station. This is on the site of Linden House and a later fire station. The site is also shown as a market in the 1930s. It was opened in 1972
2 Convent for the Comboni Missionary Sisters of Verona opened a girls' hostel and nursery school opened here in 1951. There is an onsite chapel.
4 Tower House. This was built in 1875 and in 1901 was taken over by a French Roman Catholic Sisterhood, the Sisters of Perpetual Adoration, as the convent of Marie Réparatrice, a closed order. They moved out in 1951 and were replaced by The Comboni Missionary Sisters, originally called the Verona Sisters. This Italian order was founded in 1872 to help the poorest in Central Africa and came to Britain in 1946. A wing was added in 1959, and used as the order's training centre in 1978. In 1996 the house was redeveloped as the Verona Court housing development.
10 Sisters of Mary Immaculate acquired this as Regina Pacis convent 1968. A Kindergarten was opened 1969 and hall added 1972. Our Lady Queen of Peace Day Nursery
Homefields Recreation Ground. From 1966 Waste lands were acquired by the local board under the Metropolitan Commons Act, and laid out for recreation. Homefields and adjoining land east of Chiswick Lane were bought by the Urban District Council from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners in 1898, with help from the County Council.
Buttercups Lodge. Private day nursery in the recreation ground.
Thames Tideway Tunnel entry shaft.
The river is unembanked: hence the small front gardens between street and water.
Oak Cottage. This is probably early 19th and is thought to have been accommodation for the coachman for Walpole House coachman. Behind the house were the Thornycrofts’ stables and coach house and a large garden with greenhouses. One of the stables was later used as a studio by Victor Passmore
Orford House. Built in 1886 by John Belcher. It is thought to be on the sire of High House. In 1810 Charles Whittingham equipped High House as a printing works with a paper mill next door. The riverside location was probably selected because of its proximity to the draw dock, where barge-loads of old ships’ ropes from London and other dockyards could be unloaded; they were used to produce ink and paper. He founded The Chiswick Press here in 1811, later moving his presses to nearby College House.
High House. This was the first home of the Chiswick Press in 1816 and was near a draw dock where rope was unloaded. This was a printing works with an adjacent and associated paper mill. It was demolished in 1880.
Walpole House, Named after the nephew of Prime Minister, Sir Robert Walpole. Said to be the home of Charles II’s mistress Barbara Villiers. In the early 19th it was a school attended by the William Thackeray in 1817 – hence this is another candidate for Vanity Fair’s Miss Pinkerton’s Academy. It later became a training school for homeless girls. In the 1880s it was owned by the Thorneycroft family and Thomas Thrneycrofts Boadicea statue – now on the Embankment - was housed in a workshop in the garden. The workshop was later used by John Thorneycroft for experimental motor vehicles, and still later became a gym.
Morton House. This is 17th and possibly older. A small fire insurance plate on the front shows Britannia with shield, spear and Irish harp. There is also a Sun insurance plate. The facade was extensively rebuilt in the 1950s.
30 Riverside Lodge. This is three town houses, built in 2011 by the architectural firm Rolfe Juddson with various environmental features. They are on the site of a hospital put up in 1935 itself on the site of the Rothbury House. There is a replica plaque to the hospital “"To the Glory of God, this stone was laid by Dan Mason Esq, 29 February 1936".
Rothbury House. Was a 17th house. In the 19th it was the home of and of George Chibnall, owner of the bakery also in the Mall.
Hospital. In 1911 Rothbury House was bought from Acton Council by Dan Mason, Cherry Blossom shoe polish. He had previously funded a hospital near the works but this needed to be enlarged. Rothbury House became the administration block, and a new hospital was built in the grounds. It opened in 1912 as a general hospital known as the Chiswick Hospital. The main entrance was in Netheravon Road to the rear. Kitchens and staff quarters were located in Rothbury House. The hospital was entirely funded by Dan Mason and was entirely free to Chiswick residents in need and unable to pay medical fees. At the start of the Great War award was allocated to wounded soldiers and Mason provided an ambulance which he drove himself. After the war the hospital was extended and Mason created a trust for the future funding of it. In the 1930s Rothbury House and the hospital were demolished and rebuilt. The Second World War intervened and it was unable to open until 1943 when it was used as a maternity unit. After the war it became Chiswick Maternity Hospital and joined the NHS. It closed in 1975. It was later used as staff accommodation for Charing Cross Hospital. In 1984 it beamed Chiswick Lodge, a nursing home for patients with neurological and neuropsychiatric disorders. That has since been closed and demolished.
Boundary stone. This is in the wall opposite Cedar House at kerb level.
83 Sipsmith ‘artisanal’ distillery. They moved to this site in 2014 and have the first copper still to be installed in London for nearly 200 years. It comes from Germany’s, Christian Carl and will distill both Barley Vodka and London Dry Gin. The swan motif on the Sipsmith trade mark is a reference to the "swan's neck" pipe where the spirit vapour turns above the still.
107 Duke of York. This was originally built as part of Chiswick New Town. It was acquired by Fuller, Smith and Turner in 1834 and rebuilt in 1927.
126 Devonshire Arms. This was originally the Manor Tavern, rebuilt in 1924 by Nowell Parr
Parish Hall. This is shown on maps at the south east end of the road before the Second World War and the subsequent widening of the Great West Road.
Magdalene House, this is on the site of the church of St. Mary Magdalene
Hogarth Infants School, this had opened in 1920 in Hogarth Lane and moved to Devonshire Street in 1956.
Hogarth Road Board School. These were primary and nursery schools, opened here in 1884 by the London school Board.
St Marys Roman Catholic Schools. This moved here in 1964 from a site in Acton Lane into the building which had formerly been the Hogarth Schools.
William Hogarth Primary Schools. This opened in 2001 in the old buildings of the Hogarth Primary Schools. They had moved to a new building in 1958,
This road was the southern section of St.. Peter's Square
Eyot Works. This was a works set up by William Benson who established a foundry at Chiswick, a showroom in Kensington and thus new purpose-built factory, Eyot to mass produce domestic items from kettles to firescreens. Many of Benson's designs were patented and he opened a showroom inNew Bond Street. Benson's wares were also sold from the showroom of Morris & Co. He designed furniture for J. S. Henry & Co and grates etc. for the Coalbrookdale and Falkirk foundries. He became managing director of Morris and Co. after Morris's death in 1896
This is a small group of houses set around a garden which was once the tennis court of Walpole House. It was, built in 1960 by the architect Edward Armitage.
Keene’s Automobile Works. Keene were early 20th car dealers and repairers, who took over the Bedford Park Stores in Bath Road. They built a works to the rear of the building in 1903 with room for 250 cars. They developed a 14 horse-power steam car called the `Keenelet', but they failed in 1904.
H.J. Mulliner took over the Keene premises in 1908 and undertook coachwork for various motor manufacturers, including Rolls Royce and Daimler. They were a branch of a long established Northampton coach builder. In the Second World War they built gliders and in 1959 the firm was acquired by Rolls Royce having previously been controlled by the Croall Company of Edinburgh. They closed in 1968
Mulliner House. Offices on the site of the car factory
Bollards at the east end of the road mark what was the original end of the road where it met the north/south running North and South West London Junction Rail Line, defunct from the 1950s.
Chiswick Christian Centre. This was previously Chiswick Mission. This was set up in 1890. By nineteen year old Robert Thomson Smith. He was a clerk at Thornycrofts, who tried to prevent heavy drinking by Thornycroft employees. Initially he up a coffee stall and went on to set up the mission helped with money from Thorneycroft’s and was later given land by the Watts family.. This also undertook a social role providing breakfasts for children, dinner for men, and coal and coke for the poor. The mission, as the Christian Centre, is now part of the Elim Pentecostal Church following support for a new centre in the 1980s from Kensington Temple Church. The church still undertakes a social support role with many initiatives to the local community.
North and South West London Junction Rail Line. This now defunct railway ran down the backs of the houses in this road although most of the houses were built later than the railway.
Chiswick Glebe Street Board School. This opened in 1877 as for girls and infancies. The girls left in 1884 and the whole school closed in 1926.
2 appears to be in housing or office use. This dates from the construction of the road and appears to have a later back extension. The front appears to be a small religious building, or a works.
Stamford Brook. The brook crossed the road in the vicinity of Stamford Brook Underground Station.
Queen Charlotte maternity hospital. This large hospital site had a fringe in this square but is largely in the square to the east and will be dealt with there.
Stamford Brook Station. Opened in 1912 to runs between Turnham Green and Ravenscourt Park Stations on the District Line originally the Metropolitan District Railway. The line itself was opened in 1869 by the London and South Western Railway as part of a new branch line to Richmond from the West London Joint Railway; however, no stations were built between the then Hammersmith Grove Road station and Turnham Green. By 1912 rhea line was used by the District Railway as well as the L&SWR and at this time the station was opened with a building constructed by the District Railway. It had one island platform and was used only by the District line trains and by 1916 the District alone used the line. In the 1930s, the owners of the District and Piccadilly lines rebuilt the line between Hammersmith and Acton Town to allow the Piccadilly to come to Hammersmith from Uxbridge and Hounslow, and thus from 1932 Piccadilly line trains began to run through Stamford Brook,. This meant that the layout of the station had to be reconfigured and a side platform was opened. However eastbound Piccadilly line trains still cannot stop at the station. In 1964 Stamford Brook was the first underground station to have an automatic ticket barrier installed.
368 Chiswick Ambulance Station. This is a satellite station for Hanwell and has three ambulances.
375 The Raven. The Raven is said to date from 1839 and to have been a stable block. Its licensing records appear to begin in 1862 when it was known as ‘The Raven Tavern’. It does appear to have a carriage entrance which has been added onto the north side of the building which could have led to stables at the rear.
407 Chiswick Rooms. Boutique Hotel
Great West Road
This was the new a built to bypass Brentford and Hounslow by Middlesex County Council, first planned around 1920.
This was built in 1970 on the site of Miller's bakery by Chapman & Taylor. The baker was originally Chibnall’s bakery, established in the 1880s and taken over by Miller’s in the 1940s. It closed in 1966.
Prince of Wales
The road ran at the back of what was the Prince of Wales Pub.
Chiswick Indoor Cricket School. This was held in a hall at the back of the George IV pub
Priory House. Chiswick and Bedford Park Preparatory School. This private school is said to have been established in 1915. The building has a history as a series of private school. It was the Bedford Park School which joined Bedford Park high school in 1895 as Chiswick and Bedford Park high school, here, later this was Bedford Park college, bought around 1932 by Mme Fellowes, and renamed it Chiswick and Bedford Park high. This continued and was managed by her daughters in 1979.
Hamnmersmith and Chiswick Station. This is built on the site of the Hammersmith and Chiswick Station of the North and South West Junction Railway and its associated goods yard and sidings. It opened in 1858 as ‘Hammersmith’. In 1880 the name was changed to ‘Hammersmith and Chiswick’. A private house on the north side of Chiswick High Road was used as the station – this stood on the site of the first new houses east of 44 Chiswick High Road. . The ticket office in the front door and the stationmaster lived upstairs. Trains ran from here to Acton Gatehouse Junction and the line took coal trains for various factories. There was one very long platform and although a second set of rails was laid it is unclear if there was ever a second platform or if one was indeed ever planned. With the introduction of the rail motors in 1909 a shorter wooden platform was built on the main platform with a short canopy with a wooden wall as a shelter. The ticket office then closed and tickets had to be bought from the guard but they did not sell through tickets to other lines. In 1917 it was closed. The station was later re-converted back to a house and a shop and remained into the 1970s. A tree behind some of the houses may be that shown in photographs of the rear of the station building.
Sidings for the coal depot – there were extensive sidings paralleling the station platform, on its east side.
Nursery. The area enclosed by this road is probably the site of f James Scott’s nursery was there from 1740 to 1760. From 1785 was the nursery of Richard Williams, who specialized in heathers, introduced exotic plants, and marketed the improved 'William' pear
The boundary of the 1889 county of London the westernmost Stamford Brook between the Metropolitan Boroughs of Hammersmith and Acton from the Chiswick and Brentford Urban Districts in Middlesex
St Peters Square
The public garden was bought by Metropolitan Borough of Hammersmith and in 1915 was opened to the public.
The Greek Runner, by William Blake Richmond. This was installed in the gardens in 1926.
22 This includes the buildings from an old laundry dye works in British Grove to the rear which was converted into an architects' studio and office building. In the basement is the former studio of Island Records known as The Fallout Shelter. Many musicians began their careers or recorded in the building. It was awarded a Hammersmith Society Conservation award plaque
Shops. These were built in 1924 on the front garden of Bedford House.
Bedford House. This was built by John Bedford in 1793. He was a furniture and builder. The house was the home of botanist John Lindley between 1836 and 1865 and was then bought by Hamilton Fulton who was father-in-law of Jonathan Carr. Carr went on to develop Bedford Park estate, and this included the grounds of Bedford House. The house has been converted into flats.
Park Club. This was designed in 1878 by Norman Shaw and later enlarged to include a theatre. It was seen as a centre for artistic endeavour along with talk about every possible subject. Here both men and women were allowed to participate in political discussion. Alongside this were dances, plays, concerts and all sorts of social events. It closed in 1939 and is now a Buddhist Centre.
London Buddhist Viharam Dharmapala Building This is a centre for Theravada Buddhism. The Vihasra was founded in 1926 by Anagairka Djarmapala as the first Buddhist monastery to be established outside Asia. It has a community of resident bhikkhus from Sri Lanka. In 1994 they moved to this site in the Avenue
Turnham Green Terrace
Turnham Green Station. This opened in 1869 and lies between Hammersmith and Acton Town Stations on the Piccadilly Line and also between Stamford Brook and Chiswick Park Stations on the District Line. It was opened by the London and South Western Railway as its new branch line to Richmond. In 1877, the District Railway also began to use the line from its terminus at Hammersmith to go to Richmond. The line was also used by the Great Western Railway and by the Midland Railway for short lived services. The District Railway’s services were however successful and in 1879 they began to run trains from here to Ealing Broadway. In 1882 the name was changed to Turnham Green (Bedford Park). The Distract Line tracks were electrified through here in 1903 and by 1916 they were the sole operator. Meanwhile the station was rebuilt and reopened on 1911, plus a new signal box. In the early 1930s, the London Electric Railway, precursor of the London Underground and owner of both District and Piccadilly lines provided lines to allow the Piccadilly line to run to Uxbridge and Hounslow as an express service which meant a fast line added to the stopping tracks at this station. Them Piccadilly line trains began stopping here in the early mornings and late evenings and there have been moves to extend this. Turnham Green was one of the stations used for the testing of experimental automatic ticket barriers later adopted throughout the network
John Compton Organ Company Ltd. Crompton had first set up business in Nottingham but in 1919 he moved to workshops at Turnham Green Terrace which had been vacated by August Gern. In 1930 he moved to Park Royal. He worked primarily on electric-action pipe organs and electronic organs. These included the Melotone, the Theatrone and The Electrone. The company were awarded many original patents for simple organ mechanisms as well as the most complex, state of the art electronic and electrical inventions.
August Gern was a French organ builder, famous for building the organ in Notre Dame. He came to England in the late 19th and built some church organs here.
This road was built on the line of the North and South West Junction Railway as it ran into Hammersmith Station. It passes below what was the London and South West Railway's Kensington to Richmond line, which since 1877 had carried the Metropolitan District Railway, now the District Line. The tracks splayed out into sidings on the approach to the terminus shortly after leaving Bath Road Halt.
Engine Shed. This was north of the LSWR Bridge and was still in use in 1873 but was demolished later. The line only had one locomotive which was housed here.
Allinson & Thornton. A Guide to London's Contemporary Architecture
Arthure. Life and Work in Old Chiswick.
Bedford Park Residents Association. Web site
Brentford and Chiswick Local History Society. Web site
British Grove Studios Web site
British History online. Hounslow. Web site
Chiswick. Baptist Church. Web site
Chiswick Christian Centre. Web site
Cinema Theatre Association Newsletter
Cinema Treasures. Web site
Clegg. Chiswick History. Web site
Clegg. The Chiswick Book.
Clunn. The Face of London
Coleman. Frederick Walton and the Birth of Linoleum
Day. London’s Underground
Disused Stations. Web site
Forsyth. Buildings for the Age
Fulham and Hammersmith History Society. Buildings to see in Fulham and Hammersmith
Glazier. London Transport Bus Garages
Hogarth Trust. Web site
London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham. Web site
London Borough of Hounslow. Web site
London’s Industrial Archaeology 5
London Railway Record
Lost Hospitals of London. Web site
O’Connor. Forgotten Stations
Parklife London. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. North West London
Reed. Pissarro in West London
Robbins. The North London Railway
Tabard, Web site
Thames Basin Archaeology of Industry Group. Report
Trench and Hillman. London Under London.
Walford. Village London
Williams. London and South West Railway
Posted by M at 14:21