Sunday, 18 December 2016

M25 Bell Roundabout


Post to the west London Colney
Post to the north Tyttenhanger
Post to the east Coursers Farnland
Post to the south Salisbury Hall


Coursers Road
Willows Farm entrance and car park

M25
Junction 22. This is what was The Bell Roundabout. This was originally a roundabout on the A6 at the south end of the London Colney bypass – the A6 then running as a north west – south east through route.. When the M25 was completed between the A and the A (M), the section of the A6 dual carriageway to the south became the M25 motorway and two extra roundabouts were added to the south. (One of these is in the square to the west)The section of the A6 to the north became the Colney bypass.
Carriageways on the north of the roundabout remain as they were originally designed for future use in a different road configuration to that which was actually built.
The Bell. This pub dates from at least the 1880s and is now a burger bar. It was previously a road house band a venue for rehearsing rock bands

Ridge Hill
This is part of the B556 originally a cross country route dating from 1935 and running between Hatfield and Radlett. The route changed here when the M25 was built.
Salisbury Hall Lodge, This is now a cattery

Sources
Lost Pubs Project.  Web site
Pub History, Web site
Sabre. Web site


No comments: