Friday, 17 November 2017

Little Chalfont


Post to the north Latimer


Burtons Way
Loudhams Farm. There is a record that in 1256 land here was granted to Ranulf de Ludham which may be the origins of the name. In the 18th it is sometimes recorded as Lowdums. In 1820 Lord George Henry Cavendish bought it and it remains in the family. The land is divided between arable and grass with slightly more arable.
Barn.  This is an 18th timber framed  barn on a brick plinth with weatherboarding. There is a pigeon loft on the east side.
Loudhams Cottages. These were built for farm workers and were demolished in 1967 to be replaced by the Village Green.

Chenies Avenue
Old House Farm. Originally this was called Hill Farm.  In 1842 it was acquired by the Duke of Bedford and his marks are on the buildings. It appears to have been used as labourer’s  cottages.

Cokes Lane
Village Hall
Library. This was closed by Buckingham County Council in 2007 and has been volunteer run since.
Dr. Challoner’s High School. Girls Grammar. The school was established in 1962 as an all-girls' school, when the previously mixed Dr Challoner's Grammar School became an all-boys' school, due to increasing roll numbers.  It is now an ‘academy’.

Elizabeth Avenue
Little Chalfont Sports Ground – this is now a housing estate.

Little Chalfont
The name ‘Little Chalfont’ only dates from 1925

Station Approach
Chalfont and Latimer Station. Opened in 1889 this lies between Amersham and Chorleywood Stations on both Chiltern Railways Line and on the Metropolitan Line and also Chesham on the Metropolitan Line. Built by the steam hauled Metropolitan Railway which was extended to Chesham from Rickmansworth where there was a change onto a steam hauled service. It was first called ‘Chalfont Road’ and it is in now what is called Little Chalfont – which grew up round the station.  The main line went on to Amersham and Aylesbury in 1892.  In 1915 the name was changed to ‘Chalfont and Latimer’ . Electrification to Amersham and the Chesham branch was completed in 1960, with steam trains being withdrawn in 1961.  The station had a goods yard, which closed in 1966.

Station Road
Sugar Loaves Pub. This dates from  the 1930s.

Sources
Amersham Farms. Web site
Amersham Through Time
Buckinghamshire County Council. Web site
Historic England, Web site.

Caterham Valley

Caterham Bypass
The road was constructed in 1939 and in the Second World War had two different coloured grits as camouflage. In 1970 it became a dual carriageway almost as far as Godstone.  For building it a temporary railway was used with a diesel locomotive. It is supposed to be haunted.

Church Walk
Church Walk is the name of a small shopping centre in Station Avenue. It runs alongside a road of the same name,
Drinking fountain, this was donated by local resident Charles Asprey in 1890. It originally stood in Station Avenue. It was removed to White Knobs Sports Ground in 1933 and is now in Church Walk. He was also one of the first directors of the Caterham and Kenley Gas Company hence originally there was a gas lamp on the top of the fountain.
Woollett Nursery.  This was at the back of the hotel and dated to at least the 1870s.

Clareville Road
St. John the Evangelist. This was built in 1881 of Bargate stone and designed by W.Bassett Smith.  The tower was added in 1892.  The church was partly funded by jeweller, Charles Asprey. The organ was built in 1883 by J W Walker & Sons of London. There are eight bells cast by various manufacturers, the oldest by Robert Phelps in 1723 from an original bell of 1672 and came from the redundant church of St. Mary-at-Lambeth. The font is very ancient and comes from St. Lawrence Church, Caterham on the Hill.
St. John’s Church Hall

Croydon Road
10a Caterham Club. This was established in 1908 by local tradesmen and is an independent local social club
33 Greyhound Pub. Closed and demolished.
Quadrant House. Large office block, now flats.
43 The Capitol Cinema opened around 1929, designed to screen sound films with a Western Electric system installed in 1930. In 1955 it changed its name to The Florida but it was not allowed to show new films before they were shown in Purley.  It was closed in 1960. The site is now part of Quadrant House.
67-69 Rose and Young. This large garage site was empty from 1994.  Since redeveloped for housing. It is in a commercial Art Deco style, and was the head office, showroom and garage of the Caterham Motor Company, founded in 1922. Construction began around 1939 and it was used as a food depot, factory and British Restaurant in the Second World War. Caterham Motor Company sold the site to Rose and Young Mercedes/Volvo dealership specialising in the ‘gull wing’  Mercedes in  1970.
74 Flats on the site of the Salvation Army Hall.
76 The Valley pub.  This was once called The Commonwealth, and also The Fountain.  Now demolished and flats built.
Library. In the 1950s there was a library to the rear of the pub
76  Valley Cinema. In 1913 this opened next door to the pub in the Assembly Rooms. It closed in 1928. It was constructed of fire proof materials, with an electric lantern to eliminate flickering images on the new silver screen with a  small orchestra of a piano, violin, and cello. It was built on the site of a timber yard and saw mill.
85 Orbital House is on the site of the Caterham power station.
Caterham Power Station. This was built 1902/3 by  J & L Ward of Warlingham for the Urban Electricity Supply Co. There was a 100ft chimney as well as workshops, and offices . There was an engine room, boiler house, coal store, and showrooms. It opened in 1904.  It ceased generation in 1924 and was eventually sold in 1978 and demolished in 1988. There was a siding for coal supply from the railway behind the power station.  It is now the site of Orbital house.
Sewer ventilation pipe outside 110.
86 Caterham Christian Centre. There has been a Christian church here since 1888 when Dr Fegan founded a Brethren Assembly. The Brethren’s building for the Assembly use was erected in 1920 of corrugated iron and wood. It was bombed in the Second World War and the roof replaced with roof in the 1960’s. It was then found that the foundations were failing in the front and a brick toilet block was constructed as a faced. The rear was rebuilt in n the 1970’s because of dry rot. A room was added in 2001 in the roof space over the toilets  .In 2017 plans were put in place for the merge with Caterham Community Church
Caterham Valley Wesleyan Methodist church hall. This is no longer there
119 Kingdom Hall of the Jehovah’s Witnesses.  This is no longer there and the site is new flats

Godstone Road
This is now the A22 but was the old Lewes Road, the ancient road into Sussex, once a Roman Road. A new turnpike was laid out in the late 18th and the A22 follows this,
11 RAF Operations Centre. Kenley aerodrome was bombed in 1940 and it was then decided to move the operations building to Spice and Wallis's empty butcher's premises. This building was thus one of the most important sites during the Battle of Britain although it was replaced within a few months. On its site is now a modern shop with a blue plaque about the past of the site at first floor level..
26 The single storey building at the north end of the shop is former workshops of the Caterham Motor Company.
30 The Miller Centre. This was St John’s National School built in 1883, replacing a church. There is an attached Bourne Society Blue Plaque.  It is named after Dorothy Miller, founder of the local theatre and was opened in 1977.  It is now  a day centre and theatre.
32 Harp Steakhouse. This was until recently The Pilgrim Pub
34 Telephone Exchange. Built in 1953 by the Ministry of Works.  In 1912 Caterham was chosen as a pilot for the Lorimer scheme of exchange, but, following delays, the system was not installed.
67-69 Government Offices 
91 Caterham Drill Hall. Built in 1886 as a public hall. It was acquired by the War Department in 1913 and used by the 4th Battalion, Queen’s Royal West Surrey Regiment during the Great War. It has subsequently had other uses, for youth groups and by the Salvation Army. It has now been demolished
Pit. Behind the Drill Hall was a sunken area – an old chalk pit, with 3 ‘Woodlands Cottages’ and a lime kiln.  It was later partly the Crudace car park. This  has now been destroyed along with the buildings and the hall.
97 Maybrook House. Office building from the 1970s.
105 Headquarters of the 3rd Caterham St John’s Scout Group.
106 Surrey Hills Place. This was the Caterham Sanitarium and Surrey Hills Hydropathic. In 1898  was set up here and purchased by the Seventh-Day Adventists in 1903. The Caterham Sanitarium and Surrey Hills Hydropathic opened in 1903 under Good Health Association Ltd American, Dr Alfred B. Olsen, son of the President of the British Union Conference of the Seventh-Day Adventists, was Medical Director.  It was run in the same way as Dr J.H. Kellogg's Battle Creek Sanitarium in Michigan. Patients had a fruitarian diet, daily and Swedish medical-gymnastics.  There were prayers at 8 am,   After the Great War it began to decline and closed in 1921. In 1923 it was sold and became a hotel by the 1930s.  It was later by the Department of Employment as a Job Centre It was acquired by Croudace builders who demolished it and built flats.
106 Royal Mail Delivery Office.

Harestone Hill
1 United Reform Church. This was built in 1875, and repaired 1951 after bombs damage. It was designed by John Sulman, son-in-law of one of the deacons,. A Congregational Chapel had been 0pened in Stafford Road in 1865 and in 1868 a site for a permanent church acquired on Harestone Hill.  The lecture hall was added in 1878.  It  became a United Reformed Church in 1972 when the Congregational Church in England and Wales united with the Presbyterian Church.

Harestone Valley Road
Soper Hall. This was built, in 1911, as Council Offices for Caterham Urban District Council and included a Memorial to William Garland Soper, a politician and businessman of the time. It was used as a civic centre and a public hall.
Fire Station. This was opened in 1928 when the Brigade became known as Caterham & Warlingham Joint Fire Brigade. It  closed when new station opened in Godstone  in 1970 . It stood until 1988 when it was demolished to make way for the Church Walk Shopping Centre
Eothen School. The school was founded by sisters Catherine and Winifred Pye. It began with eight girls. The main school was built  in 1897 providing some boarding accommodation as well as classrooms. The Pye sisters retired in 1938. The school closed in 1995 when it merged with nearby Caterham School. The main building was demolished and the site now accommodates houses, flats and a health centre. The present Health Centre was built from the former Science block of the school.
2 Court Lodge, This is a 19th flint Gothic lodge house. It was originally a lodge house to Caterham Court, when Church Hill was the entrance drive.

Stafford Road
1 East Surrey Museum, The Cottage. This dates from the 1860s and is in flint and red brick and there are flint boundary walls. The museum is situated on the ground floor. It was bought by the Council in 1975, and housed homeless families. The Bourne Society Archaeological Group, wanted to use it as a museum and conversion went ahead by L. A. Long. The museum was opened in 1980. Until 2003 it was run by volunteers but a  Heritage Lottery Fund granted allowed employment of a curator but this has now ended.

Station Avenue
Caterham Station. This was opened in 1856 and is the terminus from Whyteleafe South on Southern Trains
40 Caterham 7 Garage. This had been a garage and filling station through the 1950s run by Anthony Crook. He left to join Bristol Motors and  it was taken over by Graham Nearne. Thee they set up a production centre for it designed by Colin Chapman for the Lotus Super Seven and the Elite.  In 1962 the filling station was sold to Esso and the garage at the rear became Caterham Coachworks. Nairne had sole selling rights from 1967 for the Lotus Seven and bought out all the rights in the 1970s.  The produced the car here from 1974. In 1984 the Jubilee Seven was produced but production was moved to Crayford in 1987.  In 2000 the Roadsport V was introduced and in 2003 the Tracksport.  .
Church Walk Shopping Centre. This is a small shopping mall situated opposite Caterham railway station in Caterham Valley. Church Walk was built on the site of the Valley Hotel, which was demolished in 1988. Long before the Valley Hotel was built (to cater for visitors arriving on the new railway trains) there used to be a tennis court, croquet lawn, rose garden, fountain, and Mr. Woollet's nursery. The griffins found on the top of the entrance to the centre are originally from the old hotel.

The Square
1 Old Surrey Hounds, pub.. This is one of the earliest public houses in the area although it was rebuilt in the present mock-Tudor style after a major fire in 1916.
Rotary Clock. Installed by the local rotary clubs to mark a centenary in 2005.

Tillingdown Hill
Roman road. This run south from Wapses Lodge roundabout in straight line up Tillingdown Hill, is believed to mark a Roman road. The line of the road can be traced as an earthwork around the hill contour above Commonwealth Road, and Crescent Road. This strip of woodland contains archaeological features and many old trees.  It continues to cross the bypass on a footbridge (which is where the ghost is said to lurk).
Tillingdown Hill. Open space here  used to be part of Tillingdown Farm but is now public space. There is grassland, benches and an interpretation board.
Tillingdown Farm.  Thus was a medieval manor house and farm becoming  a place for commuters’ horses. It may be remains of a hamlet depopulated in the middle ages.  It was Owned by Albert Davison who and used it to house and train racehorses since the 1970s up until 2011 when he died and the farm was sold.  It now appears to be derelict
Tillingdown Farm Cottages, Tillingdown Farm
Tillingdown Hill Farm Cottages, Tillingdown Farm
Reservoir . Undergound reservoir grassed over with tracks to the Bypass. There is a group of buildings on the east side. It is surrounded by woods and wooded open grassed areas

Timber Hill
Recreation Ground. Chidren’s playground and open space
Police station
Ambulance station

Sources
Caterham Christian Centre. Website
Caterham URC, Web site
Cinema Treasures. Web site
Clunn. The Face of London
East Surrey Museum. Web site.
Knowles. Surrey and the Motor
Lost Hospitals of London. Web site
Miller Centre. Web site
Pevsner & Cherry. Surrey
Surrey County Council. Web site
Tandridge District Council. Web site
Village Hall cinemas, Web site

Sunday, 12 November 2017

Cuckoo Estate Hanwell


Post to the south Hanwell
Post to the west Greenwich Elthorne Heights
Post to the north Perivale


Bordars Road
St Christopher’s Church. The church began in a tent in 1937, when the Cuckoo Estate was built. Then a 'temporary' building, which lasted over sixty years was used and finally replaced in 2003, when North Hanwell YMCA was also built as part of the re-development

Brent Valley Golf Club
Golf Club. This is accessed by an apparently unnamed lane off Cuckoo Lane (in the square to the south)  This opened in 1910. The Council turned the area surrounding the golf course, which is still open to the public, into the Brent Valley Park in the 1930s. The club was founded in 1909 by Albert Toley . The course was designed by J.H.Taylor in the early 1900s. It reopened as a new public course was opened in 1938. The Clubhouse is believed to gave been The Grove, a local manor house, renamed Dublin house. In 1966 this was demolished by the council and the present one built and the course was remodelled to the present format. The course is now run by a private contractor Everyone Active

Chelsea Gardens
This is on the site of Argyle Manor School, itself built on land taken over from the Great Western Railway and used as a company sports field.
Argyle Manor School. This was built in 1971/2  by Ealing Council as a purpose built Childrens Reception, Observation, Assessment Centre for 32 residents and 8 day attendee. Chelsea Gardens housing appears to be on the site.

Copley Close
Copley Close. This estate was built, mainly in brick, by the Greater London Council and opened in 1979. It stretches across a narrow piece of land that follows the Greenford rail line into Paddington and at one point housing is on an ‘over bridge’ above the rail tunnel. In common with other social housing of the 1970s it has connecting walkways, underground parking and little amenity space. In 1979 when large scale public investment in municipal housing ended it was transferred from the GLC to London Borough of Ealing. Much of the land the estate is on is held on a 999 year lease from Network Rail and is built alongside a cut and cover slab over the railway line.
177 site of Old Bill Pub.this was built as part of the estate by the GLC and it was later let, by Ealing Council, to Trust Inns. Following a police raid and licensing review in 2006 the pub was closed, never to reopen.  It was later demolished.
185 Copley Hall Community Centre.  This is covered with bright and cheerful murals.
Castle Bar Park Station. This opened in 1906 and niw kies between South Greenford and Drayton Green on First Great Western Line on the old  Great Western Railway line between Westbourne Park and Southall. Halt , It originally was a halt with short timber platform, corrugated iron pagoda hut, oil lamps, name board and no staff. When it was built it could only be reached by a field path and is built at the point where the embankment becomes a cutting. It was rebuilt in the 1960 with red brick shelters, ticket offices with steel shutters and big padlocks. ‘Halt’ name removed from the name boards but GWR benches survived.

Cuckoo Avenue
This was originally part of the grounds of Hanwell Park – the house was in the square to the south and to the south west of this road.  This road leads down from the north and up what was called Cuckoo Hill where the Schools were later replace by the park and community centre.
The road is the main axis of the Cuckoo Estate. This was the drive leading to the schools. It is now a green centrepiece lined with mature trees,
North Hanwell Baptist Church. When the Cuckoo Estate was built, a plot of land was left empty for a second church.  This was originally Cuckoo Free Church re-named North Hanwell Baptist Church in 1938. It was originally a wooden hut apparently still used as the Worship Room but with a newer brick front to the main road.

Cuckoo Estate
Cuckoo Estate, This is a former London County Council cottage estate built in 1933 on the slopes of Cuckoo Hill and the site of the Hanwell Poor Law Schools. Many of its original features and its entire original layout are intact. Ir was designed in the local topography around an important historic building.  The estate was planned along the lines of a traditional garden suburb masterminded by Raymond Unwin .
Street corners feature overlapping hooped railings and grass strips in front of flats and terraces, these were installed by the LCC and continue to be maintained by Ealing Council

Cuckoo Hill
This is the central area of the Cuckoo Estate and the former site of the Poor Law Schools.
This was once thought to have been the site of a 6th battle between the Romano British and Saxons.  .
Drayton Bridge Road
The road was built in 1897 and Drayton Green station opened in 1905
Drayton Green Station.  this opened first in 1905 and now lies between Castle Bar Park and West Ealing Stations on the First Great Western Railway service between Westbourne Park and Southall.  It was rebuilt in the 1960s with red brick shelters, ticket offices with steel shutters and big padlocks. It is the ninth least used station in London.
Boundary stone. This is said to be in the shrubbery behind the fence on the south side of the road west of the railway bridge.
Adventists Meeting Hall. The Transforming Church. This lies on the west side of the line on what would have been a continuation of Coyle Close.

Dryden Avenue
Short road featuring maisonnettes

Great Western Sports Field Site
A portion of this complex area is in this square – the remainder in square to the east and north,
The Great Western Railway Athletic Football Club and Castle Bar Park. The Association was formed in 1900 and The Directors of the Company provided 17 acres if ground 17 north of West Ealing Station plus a Pavilion within the boundaries of the Castle Bar Park Ground. After the Secobnd World War the Company Directors agreed to ‘re-plan and refurbish the ground and some of the land was disposed of. Ealing Council acquired the land in the 1970’s and used part for building Gurnell Combined First and Middle School. The remaining railway owned land which continued southwards alongside the railway loop line as far as Drayton Bridge Road and was used as Allotment Gardens during the Second World War has been disposed of over the years to Ealing Council for the building of Argyle Manor Assessment Centre and Castle Bar and Compton Schools and to the GLC for part of the Copley Close Estate.

Greenford Avenue
Roads west of Greenford Avenue are part of the Elthorne Heights Estate built 1923/4 by the Great Western Land Company..
Roland House. Flats on the site of Cuckoo Farm gas works 1870s, This was on the site of the reservoir. It was a small works not used for public supply
Reservoir. This was built for the Hanwell Schools.
324 White Hart. Now closed ‘roughest pub in West London’.
Hobbayne Primary School

Grove Avenue
Seven Saxon graves were found on a field called Blood Croft, (in the square to the west) in 1886 and then thought to be buried warriors.

Hall Drive
Footpath entry point to the Cuckoo Estate from Cuckoo Lane and Greenford Avenue.

Hanwell Residential Schools
This site was once private Hanwell Park Estate, as was the Central District Schools site before it was bought in the 1850s.
Central London District Poor Law School. These opened in 1857 and were known locally as Cuckoo Schools. It was for children of destitute families and was set up by the City of London and the East London and St. Saviour Workhouse Unions in 1857, moving here from a site in Norwood which has become overcrowded. It was built on the land of Cuckoo Farm on Cuckoo Hill. An area was kept as a working farm to educate and feed the children. At first the school was renowned for its harsh discipline, severe conditions and epidemics. It was essentially a self-supporting community, and children were trained in a variety of skills. the boys were in marching bands that had engagements at local social functions. Charlie Chaplin was a pupil there by 1900 the 140-acre site had classrooms, residential blocks, infirmary and sewage and gas works – and many other facilities including some recreational. The school closed in 1933.
Park School West London District. This was originally the Ophthalmic Institute erected because of the high instance of eye disease among the children. This was open to patients from all childrens’ homes in London.
West London District. This dated from 1868 as the Poor Law Board from the parishes of St. George Hanover Square and Paddington, plus Fulham Union. They had a residential school at Ashford, Middlesex from 1872. In 1911 the they leased the Park School Buildings at Hanwell, previously the Ophthalmic Institute for 350 infants. However from 1914 it was changed to be occupied by wounded Belgian soldiers. It was empty again by the end of 1915 but was taken over by the Metropolitan Asylums Board until 1921.

Hathaway Gardens
Gurnell Middle School, This school opened in 1974 and closed in 1993
Woodlands “Academy”. This was Hathaway Primary School

Hillyard Road
11 The YMCA  West London launched in Ealing o 1870 aiming to improve the spiritual condition of young men’. They had a number of premises. In 2004 St Christopher’s supported housing project opened

Laurie Road
Lycée Français Charles de Gaulle : L’École de André Malraux. This was Brentside infants’ school. This Lycee is based in Kensington but has three primary school satellites, of which this is one - L’École de André Malraux. It is in what were the buildings of Brentside Infants School.

Westcott Crescent
Westcott Drive was created from a peripheral road that ran around the northern half of the school buildings
Cuckoo Park. one of the largest open green spaces in the Hanwell area and it surrounds the Community Centre. It is on the brow of the hill and extends down it with open grass spaces, tennis courts and a children’s playground. It is designated as a Village Green. A ridge remains from school structures forming a terrace by the tennis courts. Dense groups of trees are arranged throughout the park, and are clustered around the Community Centre and the adjacent “Garden of Rest”,
Statue of Charlie Chaplin
Hanwell Community Centre building, this building is on the crest of the hill and was once the administration block of the Poor Law school. It was was designed by Tress & Chambers and built in 1856. The main block is all that survives today. There is a clock tower rising from the attached wing at the rear  this was a water tower to which water was pumped by a basement steam engine from a well under the building.
London Welsh School moved into the building in 2015, The school was started in 1958 by a group of fathers who were sending their children to Welsh lessons. It later became a full time school

Sources
Brent Valley Golf Course. Web site
British History Online. Hanwell. Web site
CAMRA. Web site
Great Western Railway. History. Web site
London Borough of Ealing., Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. North West London
St. Christopher’s Church. Web site
The Workhouse. Web site
Walford .Village London
YMCA. Web site

Saturday, 11 November 2017

Carshalton Beeches



Post to the north Carshalton



Banstead Road
Barrow Hedges Farm. This stood on the east side of the road.  It is said to have been named from three ancient burial mounds on the north side of Oaks Park.  This was strip-farmed common land.  The farm may have later become a seedsman or market garden, since they regularly won prizes for their sweet peas.
Railway Bridge. This carries the ex-London Brighton and South Coast Railway from West Croydon to Sutton.
Carshalton Beeches Baptist Free Church

Beeches Avenue
Was once Beechnut Tree Road
40 Little Holland House. This was, built by self-taught craftsman, F.Dickenson, in to his own design in 1902. It shows the impact of the Arts and Crafts movement. Dickinson designed and built the house and made all the fittings and furnishings. He also worked in metal with hammered copper panels and Art Nouveau door fittings. The house and contents remained in the family until 1972, when it was bought and restored by the London Borough of Sutton

Blakehall Road
A bridle path runs from here to Park Close. It appears to pass a ‘Mount’ once standing in open park land.

Glebe Road
Stanley Park Recreation Ground. The main entrance to this park is in Woodfield Road in the square to the east.  It is an open rectangle of land bordered by trees particularly. It appears to have been laid out on common fields to the south of Carshalton Park. In the Second World War slit trenches were dug here as shelter for children in the Stanley Park School.

Gordon Road
Carshalton Beeches Station. This lies between Wallington and Sutton Stations. The Southern Railway through this area opened in 1847 It was not at first a proper station but a halt called Beeches served by steam rail-motors only. It and remained temporary until after the Great War when development took off locally.  The line between London and Sutton was electrified in 1025 and the halt was rebuilt with a road bridge and became a station called Carshalton Beeches. In 2010 the foyer was changed for a larger ticket office and electronic barriers.

Harbury Road
Barrow Hedges Primary School. This school opened in 1955 as a two-form entry school. It now has three forms of entry, 22 classrooms, a Learning Hub, two halls, a wildlife and pond area plus extensive grounds with a large playing field.

Oaks Way
Stanley Road Allotments, Carshalton Lavender.   Until the late 19th the area was famous for its lavender.  In 1996, the Local Lavender Scheme was established here by BioRegional to restore the lavender industry. Three acres were planted from cuttings from local gardens believed to be lavender from the original fields and were grown through a project within HMP Downview.  In 2001 the Heritage Harvester was created from scrap by an engineering team from Cranfield University. The annual harvest has grown in popularity, and the crop has flourished in 2009 they purchased a still.

Queen Mary's Avenue
Good Shepherd. Built 1930 by Martin Travers & T. F. W. Grant in stock brick with a Spanish Mission gable. In 1890 an iron church was built in Stanley Road, and in 1900 by a larger iron building replaced it in Stanley Park Road. In 1928 the current site was bought and the church was built. In 1965 it became a Parish in its own right. It has since been extended.

Stanley Park Road
The road is on the edge of Carshalton on the Hill,
Stanley Park Infants School. A small school is shown on maps here in 1913.  It was later extended into the current buildings and became Stanley Park County Primary School, and is now an infant’s school
Stanley Park Junior School. This appears to have begun as Stanley Park Road Central School in 1931. There was some bomb damage in the Second World War including a direct rocket hit and children were evacuated to Lancashire. In 1957 it seems to have been known as Stanley Park County Secondary School. The school later appears to have moved to the site of Wallington County Grammar School for girls to the east and to have been known as Stanley Park High School. The original site is now Stanley Park Primary School.

The Park
Carshalton War Memorial Hospital. After the Great War an appeal was launched to raise funds to build a hospital to replace the existing cottage hospital as War Memorial to the local men who had died serving in the war. The new Carshalton, Beddington and Wallington District War Memorial Hospital opened in 1924.  In 1928 the Hospital had 30 beds; there was a maternity ward, an operating theatre, an Emergency Ward, a Casualty Ward, an X-ray room, three Sun Rooms, offices, a kitchen wing, and nurses' accommodation. It was extended in 1930. In the Second World War it joined the Emergency Medical Service and in 1948 joined the NHS. By the end of the 1990s the Hospital was mainly used for patients requiring long-term care and respite care. It closed in 2005.  After this the buildings remained vacant and were sold to developers in 2008.
Ashcombe Court opened in 2009 at the southern part of the Hospital site.  This is flats for residents with learning disabilities.  It is on the site of Ashcombe house, the nurses home do the hospital

Woodmansterene Road
Barrow Hedges.  The house and grounds were on the west side of  the road

Sources
Barrow Hedges Primary School. Web site
Field. London Place Names
Hidden London. Web site   
Honeywood Museum. Web site
London Borough of Sutton. Web site
London Encyclopaedia
Lost Hospitals of London. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. South London
Pevsner and Cherry. Surrey
Stanley Park High School. Web site
Sutton Heritage.
The Kingston Zodiac

Thursday, 9 November 2017

Carpenders Park and South Oxhey



Post to the south South Oxhey

Ainsdale Road
St.Joseph’s Roman Catholic Primary School. The school was built to serve the London County Council estate and must date from around 1960, earlier than the church it relates to.

Bridlington Road
The Ox, This was The Pheasant, and Wetherspoons.  It is now a free house
Library. Refurbished and extended 2008-0
Car park – this was originally allotments.

Carpenders Park Estate
This is the area to the east of the railway line. It was the second area owned by the early 19th  Chartist Land Co. Before 1935 it was private parkland and farmland.  It was developed for housing pre-war by St.Meryl Estates and post war by Kebbell Development Ltd. The main part of the estate lies in the square to the east.

Delta Gain
Kebbell House. This was the headquarters of Kebbell Homes founded in 1953 by Thomas Kebbell, and now run by his son. Kebbell Homes first project was the completion of the housing development at Carpenders Park. The premises appears to have also been a trading estate used by a number of engineering and other firms,

Gibbs Couch
Swimming Pool.  This was a private pool at the south end of the road owned by the residents. When they decided not to maintain it, it was closed in 1995.  The site is now flats.

Green Lane
Pavilion Pub. This was previously the Brookdene Arms.
Pavilion Bowls Club. Established in 1974.
South Oxhey Playing Fields. This has six adult football pitches and one junior size football pitch, two tennis courts and outdoor basketball site, a climbing unit with nets and hammock. There is also a Park Run.

Gosforth Lane
Your Community Leisure Centre Three Rivers Sports Network. This includes a gym, pool, recording studio, etc.
Warren Dell School. This primary school was opened in 1949 by Lewis Silkin, then Minister for Town and Country Planning. It was the first junior and infant school to be erected on the South Oxhey estate
All Saints Church. This is a hall, office and church complex built in 2000, replacing a church of 1953.
Oxhey Chapel, This was built on the site of what was probably a monastic church in 1612 by Sir James Altham as the chapel to Oxhey Place. In 1649 after the Battle of Uxbridge it was used by  Parliamentary forces as a barracks using lead from the roof to make ammunition. In 1704 a new roof with a bell cote was added and the interior was restored in 1712,  It was used for worship until 1799, and then became a store, In 1852 was restored again and in 1897 a vestry were added. In the 1960s it again had major repairs and was eventually declared redundant, and in 1977 became part of the Redundant Church Fund,  It is a flint and brick building including the Altham monument from the 17th.
Oxhey Place. This stood in the area of the current leisure centre. It  was the home of the Heydon family in the late 16th. The house was twice demolished - in 1668 and again in 1799 - to be replaced by larger mansions, The last house on the site was owned by the Blackwell family, of Crosse and Blackwell, provision merchants. Following purchase by the London County Council it was used as the estate medical centre from 1953 until its demolition in the 1960, following a fire.

Harrogate Road
Harrogate Club

Hayling Road
Colnbrook School. A specialist primary school for children with learning difficulties, autism and speech & language difficulties This was originally Warren Dell Infants School.

Henbury Way
Kingdom Hall of the Jehovah’s Witnesses
William Morris Labour Club. Social club and a base for the local Labour Party.
Baden Hall  19th Bushey Oxhey Scout Group. This is likely to be demolished

Oxhey Drive
Oxhey Wood Primary School. The school opened in 1951 built as two separate schools, infants and juniors which were amalgamated in 1969. In 1982 one wing of was closed and used by WRVS,  for Adult Education Classes and practice rooms for the ‘Falcon Marching Band’. In 1993 it began too be used by the school again and much of it rebuilt in 2005. A Children’s Centre was also added to the school site.
85 Oxhey Health Centre
Police Station
St Joseph’s Church. The Roman Catholic Parish of Carpenders Park is part of the Watford Deanery. Founded in 1952, the church was built in 1960 and consecrated in 1981.
39 used as a temporary library in 2008-9 while Bridlington Road library was being refurbished

Prestwick Road
Oxhey Golf Club was opened in 1912 with a match between Ted Ray, the Oxhey professional, and Harry Vardon, from South Herts. Many important matches followed. No lady visitors were allowed at weekend or Bank Holiday. The club closed in 1946 and the London County Council purchased the club and course. A small area remains as a 9-hole pitch and putt course.
Oxhey Park Golf Course . The golf course re-opened in 1991 as a 9-hole course and called Oxhey Park Golf Club.
Warren Dell. This is shown as a gravel pit in the 1890s, It is said to have been named from the large number of rabbits in the area.
Carpenders Park and Oxhey Methodist Church.  Methodists among the early residents of South Oxhey got together in 1944. They rented a converted cow shed called the barn shared with the Social Club and opened it as an undenominational church as a condition of the rent. At the first service it poured with rain and the electricity failed. Soon after a Sunday School was started. Gradually a congregation and contacts were built up. When the London County Council estate was planned it began to be more likely that a site could be acquired for a church, but in Oxhey, not Carpenders Park. a site was obtained, the cost of the building to be provided by a transferred War Damage Grant from the bombed St. John's Wood Methodist Church. Meanwhile services were held in an old Nissen hut used as a canteen for the LCC workmen, In 1951 the Barn was condemned and they had 24 hours to leave but it was burnt down. Services were held in the open air until a room was got in a new infants school. The new building opened eventually in 1953.

St. Andrew’s Road
Pedestrianised shopping area
Murals

Station Approach
Carpenders Park Station  This opened in 1914 by the London & North Western Railway and originally built to serve a golf course, so it was a wooden halt.  It closed in 1917 and reopened in 1919 served only by London Electric Railway – to become London Underground Bakerloo Line. Main line electric trains were reinstated in 1922. It was closed in 1952 and the present station opened slightly to the south. In 1982 the Bakerloo was withdrawn and it now lies between Bushey and Hatch End Stations on London Overground going into Euston.

Station Footpath
Carpenders Park Community Hall Association. This dates from 1990.

The Mead
Partridge Pub

Sources
All Saints Oxhey. Web site
Carpenders Park and Oxhey Methodist Church Web site
Clunn, The Face of London
Day. London Underground
Golf’s Missing Links. Web site
Hertfordshire Churches    
Hertfordshire County Council Web site
Kebbell Homes. Web site
Our Oxhey. Web site.
Oxhey Wood Primay School. Web site
St. Joseph’s Church. Oxhey. Web site
St. Josephs Primary School. Web site
Three Rivers Council. Web site

Wednesday, 8 November 2017

Camden Town



To make this more comprehensible this is only the north east corner of its square

Post to the north (south east corner of its square) Camden Market
Post to the north (north east corner of tis square) Kentish Town West


Albert Street
Street with brick and stucco terraces on both sides, 1844-8, built by the surveyor George Bassett. Gentrified from the 1960s
124-126 Offices built in the 1970s by Richard Sheppard Robson & Partners and now in use as a Conference Centre.
126 Esso Petroleum Co., Ltd (Specialty Department). This had an address of 126. It dealt with a number of medical and related products like vitamin packs as well as pest killers, and garden products. Tthis building has a frontage on Parkway..
128 Fitness First. This is the same building as 49-55 Parkway. This part is said to have housed the Albert Optical Works. It was later a warehouse for wine merchants, Belloni. The works also had an entrance to the rear.
129-131, the Jewish Museum. This is in two terraced houses once used as a factory. The Museum entrance is incorporated in the old coach archway. It was founded in 1932 by Professor Cecil Roth, Alfred Rubens and Wilfred Samuel and moved here from Bloomsbury in 1994. In 1995 it amalgamated with the London Museum of Jewish Life, founded in 1983 as the Museum of the Jewish East End. In 2015 it also took over the collections of the Jewish Military Museum.
George Murphy, piano factory 1840s, and with another building in Cheapside. He was bankrupt in 1862.  His works is now the site of the Jewish Museum
Artificial limb factory on the site now used by the Jewish Museum.

Arlington Road
The road name comes from the Earl of Arlington who leased the local Tottenhall manor and was a favourite of Charles 11 favourite lords.  The southern end was Grove Street and later Arlington Street and laid out by about 1830.
Lamp posts. These are examples of early electric posts erected by St. Pancras Vestry cast by the McDowall Steven & Co, Glasgow with a flower and leaf decoration and the figure of the boy martyr, St Pancras. There are 20 original and 3 replica lamp standards in the road.
80 Bedford Music Hall. This was the Bedford Arms Tavern which had a tea garden between here and the High Street and there were balloon ascents. A music hall was added in the grounds which evolved into the Bedford Theatre with an address in the High Street. The old hall was demolished in 1898.
Park Congregational Chapel. This was on the site of Ruscombe flats, built 1960 and fronting on Delancy Street.  It was also called Camden Town Congregational Church and had been built in 1843 but burnt down in 1848, and rebuilt. It was destroyed in Second World War bombing.
100 Crown and Goose Pub. This was on the corner with Delancy Street. Closed, demolished and replaced with flats.
104 architectural ironmonger in what was a tramway electric transformer station built by the London County Council in 1907 and probably designed by Vincent Harris.
122 building with “1933” on the gable. This is now offices for various literary and media agencies. In the 1950s it was the Neonglow Sign Co.
142-152 electricity transformer station which fronts into Underhill Street
147 this was Curry and Paxton’s optical works. They made ophthalmic instruments and precision lenses from the 19th and by the 1960s they had developed a chain of optician stores and famously supplied Michael Caine with his spectacles for the Harry Palmer films.
152 Our Lady of Hal Church Hall. The Hal Theatre Co. was set up here in the 1990s.
163-165 Fitzroy Arms. Demolished before 1933 and replaced with the Belgian church.
165 Our Lady of Hal Catholic church. Built 1933 as Belgian church in brown brick by W.Mangan. Hal is Belgian town with a shrine from 1267 and with strong trading connections to England and with English links to the shrine. After the Great War Belgian Catholic missionaries decided to turn to Britain for a safe base and thus built a small chapel in Arlington Road, opposite the current church.  Later the church was built.
179 Cavendish School. This is a private Roman Catholic ‘prep’ school in the buildings of the 1850s St. Mark’s Parochial school. This independent primary school, which originated in Cavendish Square, is run by the Order of the Holy Child
St. Mark’s School. St. Mark is the reason for the winged lion which was his emblem on the front of the building. It opened in 1855 and was transferred to St Michael's Church in 1901, the premises were purchased from the Church of England by the Roman Catholics in 1970.
180 Royal Park Buildings. In 1904 it is said that it was a piano maker.  Later it was Cox’s Air Gas Co. Frederick Cox designed the Radiophragm here – a development of diaphragm heating and by 1909 he had launched the Machine Gas Co. and in 1925 it was Radiant Heating – but still with Frederick Cox.
199 Camden House. This has Camden Probation Service what was once the police station and is also a bail hostel. It also houses a Women’s Probation Centre.
220 Arlington House. Massive brick building, with an elaborate porch, is an old Rowton House. Built in 1905, designed by H. B. Measures. It was the last and largest of a series of working men's hostels set up and financed by Lord Rowton, who was Private Secretary to Disraeli. Now run by a private company, the hostel holds about a thousand homeless men. It was refurbished by Levin Bernstein & Associates in  1983-8.and refurbished again in 2010.
211 London Borough of Camden Depot. Directorate of Environmental Services.
Park Chapel School. British School with boys, girls and infants. 1880s This was between Arlington and Albert Streets at the northern end of Albert Street.

Bayham Street
Large mural by Irony on the corner with Camden Road

Britannia Junction
Major junction for five major roads plus some important side roads. Called after a pub which has now, itself, changed its name,

Camden High Street
111-113 Blues Kitchen. This was the Stationers Arms then called The Brighton, Bar Royale,  OH Bar. Dates from at least the 1850s with Thorpe and Furness as architects
115-119 Sports shop in an old Woolworths building
121 Burtons shop in their standard art deco design. In other use.
112-120 Post Office built 1980s
112-138 shops on the site of Bowmans present there since 1864. Originally they were two brothers, with a business in 108, but subsequently took over a number of other premises. They claimed to be 'the complete house furnishers'. After a fire in the early 1890s, the section on the corner with Greenland Street was rebuilt in red brick with Dutch style gables.   Above the windows are mosaics including a sailing ship and steam engine, and lettering for the various departments.
137 art deco shop with a steel display window on the second floor. On the gable is ‘SB 1923 SB’.
140-142 Lloyds Bank. A plaque on the site dates it to 1889 with monogram ‘JSB’
143-145. The Electric Palladium Cinema. This opened in 1912 and operated until 1927, when the site was acquired by Marks & Spencer demolished it. The current store remains on site..
161, a four-storey stucco block, with a plaque of 1865, with monogram 'HW' thought to stand for Horatio Webb, Cheesemonger.
166 HSBC this semi circular building was originally the Alliance Bank from the 1950s. It is on the site of a dairy and has a frieze with scientific and medical themes.
171 Black Cap Pub. This pub from 1889 closed in 2015. There is the bust of a witch high up in a stepped gable. The name has been used for a pub on a different site here when it was also the ‘Mother Black Cap’.
174 Worlds End pub. It was previously the Mother Red Cap or Mother Damnable's. A pub is first recorded here in 1690 on the road to Hampstead, and it was thus the Halfway House.   In the late 18th it was the Mother Red Cap plus a tea garden. It was rebuilt following the construction of Camden Road to designs by H.H. Bridgman. It was developed in the 1988s with a night club below the building.  Mother Red Cap is said to have been a woman called Jinny who murdered her husbands and pub was named here after her. Her parents were hanged for witchcraft and she was said to be a witch
Camden Town Station. Opened in 1907 by the Charing Cross, Euston and Hampstead Railway, and taken over by Yerkes. It now lies between Chalk Farm Station and also Kentish Town Station and Mornington Crescent Station and Euston Station on the Northern Line. It was on the site of the old workhouse, converted to Brown’s Dairy. It thus lies at the junction of the two northbound branches of the Northern Line and is the most complicated such junction as four lines converge here. The station was originally to be called Camden Road. It was built to a Leslie Green design with plinths to allow for taller structures, and clad in dark red tiles.  It is painted in Northern Line light blue and cream.  In the Second World War a deep shelter was built here by London Transport with space for 1,200 people to sleep in ten shelters, each made up of two parallel 1,400 ft tunnels, 16' 6" diameter.  These were built so they could be part of an express railway in the future but this did not happen.  It was bombed in 1940 and some of the missing Camden High Street section has never been replaced.  Some original tiling remains at platform level plus some matching replacements.  It is often grossly congested and a rebuild or a replacement have been considered.
176 The Station is on the site of Brown’s Dairy, established in 1790 which was itself a conversion of the second St Pancras Workhouse. The diary was called the 'cows’ cathedral' and they grazed local fields.  It was demolished 1903.
Workhouse for St.Pancras.  This was opened in 1778 but soon became overcrowded and, in 1809, a new workhouse was opened. It is said to have been a mansion house converted into a pub called the Halfway House – or an earlier version of the Black Cap.
Gallows. There was a gallows at this junction pre-18th as well as stocks. It was also the site of the Pound, the local fire engine, and a lock up for overnight arrests.
178-182 brick electricity generating station 
179 old Boots sign high on the side wall
184 Electric Ballroom. This dates from the 1950s as a night club was an Irish club in the 1970s. It functions as a market during the day time.
187 Britannia Hotel. This was a pub which closed some time before 1962 and has been shops. There is the figure of Britannia in a niche
189 Royal Bank of Scotland
193 Barclays Bank. This extends over the first floor of neighbouring shops. On the second floor is a commercial gymnasium with a large blue metal advertising structure in the middle of the frontage.
197-203 Nicholson and Wordley, linen drapers. Eventually taken over by Marshall Roberts, drapers and general store and then by the Co-op. This is now part of a development and let as individual shops.
205-209  Broadhead linen drapers.
192-200 Buck Street/ Camden Market. There is a sign here saying ‘Camden Market’. The term generally covers a much wider area than this site and is in the quarter squares to the north and north west. It is all very garish.

Delancy Passage
Area of offices – but once had workshops

Delancy Street
This was once part called Warren Street to the east and the rest was Stanhope Street. It is named for James Delancey who leased fields here in the late 18th,
3-7 The Forge Arts venue. This was the Delancy Café now gone but was a girls school. It opened in 2009 as a music venue for world music, poetry and spoken word. The building has won awards and has solar panels, natural ventilation systems and a living wall.
3-7 Delancy Café. This Swiss/French restaurant has now closed. It is said it was previously a girls’ school
11 Camden Coffee Shop there since the 1950s run by George Constinantou since 1978 when he took over from his uncle. Coffee roasting is all done on the premises using a machine from the 1960s and one from 1912.
15 Delancy Studios, a development by Camden Council. 1981 by Camden Architects Dept.  On the site of a plasterworks
18 The Delancey. This is now flats
16-18 Camden Snooker Club. This was a 19th public hall, in use as a roller skating rink in 1903. It opened as the Dara Cinema in 1908. It had a wooden pay-box at the street entrance, which survived until recently. There was no foyer and street doors led straight into the auditorium which was at one level and parallel to Delancy Street.  It also had a sliding roof to allow ventilation in hot weather. It was re-named Fan Cinema, lost its licence in 1917 and closed. In 1919 it reopened as a billiard hall and this continued until the 1960’s when it became Dara Bingo Club. By the early-1990’s it was the Camden Snooker Club., It closed in 2011, and was demolished in 2012.
27 Skola. English language school
54 Dylan Thomas. There is a plaque saying 'poet lived here', installed in 1983.
68a Stanhope Yard. Milkwood Studios. The former purpose built headquarters of the Monty Python comedies, named as homage to Dylan Thomas who lived in the same terrace. It was later used by Videosonics - who housed various cinema screening events and editing facilities for production & film companies. In the 1920-30s it was used by Delancey Tool & Engineering Works, Ltd., who had produced the Delancey wood polishing machine. It is also said to have been livery stables but in the late 19th it appears to have been an artist’s studios.

Early Mews
This was extant in 1849 and is said to be named after Joseph Early, a plumber, based in Camden High Street.

Gloucester Avenue
1 Park House. This is now called North Bridge House. It was built in the mid-1820s as part of the Regent’s Park Development. It was however rebuilt in 1906 when the second railway tunnel underneath it from Euston was built. It was built by Romaine, Walker and Jenkins and then called Holyrood House.
Convent, Helpers of the Holy Souls. These Catholic nuns bought Park House in 1880 for use as a convent. They also acquired two adjoining which dating from before 1840.  They were demolished in 1906 for extensions to the convent and subsequently the Sisters moved to these extensions and the main building was used by the Japanese.
1 Japanese School, This was once in what is now called North Bridge House. It is operated by the Japanese Ministry of Education, and opened as a supplementary school in 1965. The day school was established in 1976.  In 1977 it moved to this house in Camden and moved away in 1987
1 North Bridge House. This is a private school which has five different locations in this area.  This is their ‘Prep’ school but was originally their senior school. It was previously the Japanese school.
Lamp standards. Some have a seal showing an effigy of St Pancras, from when this area was part of St. Pancras vestry

Gloucester Crescent
42-43 is a twenty-two-sided brick building of the mid-19th a former piano factory. It was the works of Collard and Collard factory until the 1920s.  The firm dated from 1767 as Longman & Broderip in 1767. The piano virtuoso, Muzio Clementi invested in the firm in association with F. W. and W. P. Collard. F. W. Collard was awarded several patents for piano design and construction. In the mid 19th the firm was at the forefront of piano manufacture in Europe. In 1929, it was sold to the Chappell Piano Company of London, but the Collard & Collard name was produced until about 1960.  This factory was built to take advantage of the natural light for the craftsmen whose individual components of the pianos were assembled in the centre of the building. The factory dates from 1851 but was burnt down within a year and this building thus dates from 1852. A circular well went through the middle of the building, and the pianos were hoisted down it. A ring of iron columns remains from this well. The building is now flats

Greenland Road
Mural by Mau Mau

Greenland Street
1 Lavery. This accountancy firm, and some other companies are in this  four-storey building which has a pediment with scrolls and with a bowed ground-floor window, and original details. As recently as the 1970s this was a joinery workshop.
8 The Upper Room. Conference venue and community space in the first floor hall of St. Michael’s church hall.  This was apparently the church hall for St.Michael’s church by Bodley & Gamer dating from the late 19th.
Camden United Theatre. This was a black managed theatre group which wanted to set up an arts venue with a concentration of black artists in the 1980s. They appear to have been in St. Michael’s hall and a dispute seems to have developed.
6-8 Spectrum Homeless Day Centre. This is in part of the old church hall.
10 Christine Blundell Make-up Academy. This teaches skills for stage and TV make-up.

Greenland Place
1 warehouse converted to an architects’ office. Signage for glazing contractor Miller, Beale, Hider was on the top gable.
2-3 The Blackheart – beer, booze and bands.  This was the Camden Tup until 1999. It is also said that an early tenant in the 1890s was film production company Ernest Moy & Co
3 Alexandra Giardi house. Used by the National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children. Child Counselling Centre

Inverness Street:
The road has had a number of name changes and has only been Inverness Street since 1937.  It was previously Wellington Street and once included Rugby Place and a Gloucester Place.
Street market. Established in 1901 and thus to a more traditional pattern than most of the surrounding tat. Unlike other local markets it once had many stalls selling fresh produce and foodstuffs – bit only two remained in 2012.
30 Good Mixer Pub. This was rebuilt after bombing

Jamestown Road
This was once called James Street and apparently named for James Delancey
31 Fiftyfive. This was once The Locomotive pub, later known as The Engine Room and is now called Fifty Five.
34 The Iceworks these are flats on the site of two ice wells owned by William Leftwich in 1820. The wells were brick chambers to store ice, harvested from the Regent's Canal, It had been backfilled and sealed before abandonment.
Camden Council office buildings and depot.

Kentish Town Road
Murals by Pang & Float, Irony, Captain Kris. Airborne Mark, Vanesa Longchamp, FPLO, Senor X & Kyle Holbrook.
1-7 HHB marked on bracket which was Henry H Bridgenan, 1874 shops
2 Camden Eye. This was the once the Halfway House. 1920s half timbered pub.
11a 1878 Turkish baths. These baths were built, and owned, by architect Henry Hewitt Bridgman.  In 1911, William Cooper bought them but they were closed after a fire on 30 March 1916. There is said to be an Arabic cornice in corridor entrance

Mornington Terrace
57 Edinboro Castle. Gastro pub with a much praised garden. The name is deliberately misspelt – originally it was correct. It once included a library, picture gallery and a museum with relics of Nelson. At the back was a garden for lawn billiards. It suffered a serious fie in 1984

Oval Road
The grand layout planned here was never achieved – the railway stopped a marching crescent to the west of the road. It was part of the Southampton Estate and dated from around 1840.

Parkway.
This was Slipshoe Lane or Crooked Lane in the 18th  but in the 19th it was renamed Park Street. After railway widening in 1937 the whole street was named Parkway and renumbered
London General Omnibus Company, stables
Royal Alexandra. This opened in 1873 and was later called Park Theatre. It was designed by J. T. Robinson. It opened as the Royal Alexandra Theatre although it was originally going to be called the Regent's Park Theatre this name was never actually used for this Theatre. It was burnt down in 1881.
Royal Park Hall. This was built on the site of the burnt out theatre in 1890. It was also used for hosting public meetings and such like. In 1894 it was advertised to let.  It later became a cabinet makers.
14 Odeon. The Gaumont Palace opened in 1937 on the site of the Riyal Alexandra. It was built by the Gaumont British Theatres chain as a luxury theatre with full stage facilities, 12 dressing rooms for the artistes and a cafe/restaurant. The architects were William E. Trent, W. Sydney Trent and Daniel Mackay. There was a Compton 4Manual/10Rank on a platform at the side of the stage.  At first it was called the Gaumont Palace, Regents Park. It became an Odeon in 1964 and a bingo hall was sited in the stalls. It closed in 1979 and in 1980 reopened as the Gate Cinema. In 1983, after another closure, it became the Parkway Kings Cinema and a second screen was the Parkway Regency. These both closed in 1993. Odeon reopened it in 1997 with 5-screens and. Bingo in the stalls.
5 The Jazz Café. This was built in 1874 as the London and South Western Bank. The café has been there since the 1980s although not jazz as some of us would understand it.
25 Camden Stores Pub.. The pub was designed . By A E Sewell for Trumans. On the corner splay there is a  large terracotta panel with the date '1924' around a trademark eagle, and raised lettering: 'TRUMAN HANBURY BUXTON & Co. Ltd. - THE CAMDEN STORES'. There is also ‘Camden Stores’ in a display over a side door in Arlington Street. It was at one time called the Rat and Parrot but is now an Indian Restaurant
27a Camden Bus. This is an estate agents shop in old Routemaster. The  bus itself is actually sited in Arlington Road
32 The Windsor Castle. The pub dates from around the 1860s but was rebuilt post Second World War. It was later renamed NW1 but is now a ‘brasserie’.
35 Japanese restaurant behind a shop front with signage from the pet shop which had been there since 1918.
49-55 Earl of Camden. This is in a larger building which extends down Albert Street. dating from the 1920s but largely reconstructed in the late 1990
Esso Petroleum Co., Ltd (Specialty Department). This had an address of 126 Albert Street . It dealt with a number of medical and related products as well as pest killers.
71 this was until the 1980s the shop of artists colour men Roberson & Co. This had been established in Long Acre in  1810 but moved here in 1936.  They had made colours for the pre-Raphaelites and other 19th artists,
77 this is the entrance to a yard where once piano makers , sheet music makers and a plating company had their works,  It is now Shepherd Robson architects which won awards for this conversion in 1975.
79 architects offices in a conversion of a piano factory in 1987-8.
94 Dublin Castle. Stucco-faced pub. It is said to have been built to serve Irish workmen on the nearby railway. From the 1970s, like many other local pubs, it became a music venue and here the landlord picked new acts who were about to become important. In 2008 he received an for services to the pub industry in Camden.
110 an early 20th rebuilding in the Queen Anne style. It has ‘EB WB ‘over the door and it was the Benjamin Barling briar pipe factory from the  1920s to the 1970s along with adjacent buildings. It has been in varied use since. Barling was an 18th silversmith which decorated foreign made pipes and moved to become manufacturers themselves.
120 Design House, these are design consultants.
127 York and Albany, This was a pub contemporary with the Regent's Park development. it is now a restaurant and hotel.

Underhill Street
Part of this area at the back of shops was once called Stanmore Place
Entrance to deep shelter under the underground station. This is  a red brick building giving access to deep level tube tunnel now in Marks and Spencer Car Park. It was built in the Second World War as an air raid shelter, but with a view to becoming part of a high-speed tube system.

Sources
Aldous.  Village London
Antique Piano Shop. Web site
Business cavalcade 
Camden History Review
Camden History Society. Primrose Hill to Euston Road.
Camden Walks
Cinema Treasures. Web site
Clunn. The Face of London, 
Colloms and Weindling. Camden Town & Kentish Town. Then and Now.
Day. London Underground
English Heritage. Blue Plaque Guide
GLIAS Newsletter 
GLIAS Walks 
Grace’s Guide. Web site
Headley & Meulenkamp, Follies, Grottoes and Garden Buildings 
Jewish Museum. Web site
Kentishtowner. Web site
Laurie. Beneath the City Streets
London Borough of Camden. Web site
London Calling. Web site
London Encyclopaedia
Lucas. London
Nairn, Nairn’s London
Our Lady of Hal. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry.  London North
Pianoforte Manufacturers in England. Web site
Pub history. Web site
Richardson. Camden Town and Primrose Hill Past
Richardson. The Camden Town Book
Shady Old Lady. Web site
Suberranea Britannica. Web site
Summerson. Georgian London 
Symonds. Behind the Blue Plaques, 
Thames Basin Archaeology of Industry Group. Report
Tindall. The Fields Beneath 
Victorian Turkish Baths. Web site
Walford . Haymarket to Mayfair
Workhouses. Web site.

Wednesday, 25 October 2017

Caledonian Road


This posting is of the north east quarter of the square

Post to the quarter square to the south  Barnsbury
Post to the quarter square to the south west Ladykillers

Main square to the west
South east quarter square Camden Town
South west quarter square Camden Road

Main square to the east
Quarter square to the north east Highbury Corner
Quarter square to the north west Arundel Square

Armour Close
Four houses by London Borough of Islington by HFI Architects. Housing Design Award winner 2010. Shoehorned into an old garage site.

Atlas Mews
This is part of the London Borough of Islington’s Westbourne Estate which was designed by Eric Lyons Cadbury-Brown Metcalf & Cunningham and built in 1976. It provided 268 houses, 132 flats, a sheltered housing, a community centre, a medical centre and shops. It replaced terraced housing.

Balmoral Grove
Trading estate in a cul de sac which once had terraced housing.  It is now being redeveloped with mixed use units including housing.

Blundell Street
6 The Old Brewery. Now Quarto Publishers. This is part of the site of Crosse & Blackwell's vinegar brewery. It was converted in  1990 by Stewan Moss of Bennett Moss Construction from a 19th stable block putting an atrium in the mews yard.

Brewery Road
Crosse and Blackwell vinegar brewery. This was entered from the south side of the road and dated from 1876.  Crosse and Blackwall, pickle manufacturers, based in Soho Square may have taken this over from bankrupt Gerrish and Brown. It was extensively rebuilt in the 1881 but was burnt down in 1907. It included oone of the largest vats in the world holding 115,000 gallons

Bride Street
Part of an area owned by Pocock family members in the early 19th and named them after their City coal wharf. The area was known as Pocock’s Fields.
95 The Jolly Sisters. Pub. This was called the New Queens Head until 1999. It was built pre-1850 and was a Whitbread House.
62 St  Giles Christian Mission on the site of the congregational chapel. This was originally founded in 1860 at Seven Dials. It moved to buildings of the Arundel Square Congregational Chapel in 1935. The chapel was partly rebuilt and became a centre for religious and social work, lectures, meetings etc
60 Arundel Square Congregational chapel. This began in a temporary chapel in 1861 in York Place, Barnsbury. The Arundel Square church and school opened in 1863 and was later expanded. It closed in 1931 and was used by free Baptists 1931-1935, and then sold to the Saint Giles Christian mission

Caledonian Road
This was a turnpike road built on the line of an old lane by the Battle Bridge and Holloway Road Company.  It was initially a toll road. It was first called Chalk Road but changed its name for the Royal Caledonian Asylum,
Pentonville Prison.  This is a Category B/C men's prison. It was designed by Col Joshua Jebb, Royal Engineers first Surveyor General of Prisons, in association with William Crawford and Whitworth Russell for convicts awaiting transportation. It opened in 1842 and was the second national prison to be designed and built by the Home Department.  It had a central hall with five radiating wings, all visible to staff at the centre called ‘the separate system’. It was a depersonalized, mechanized, centralized and integrated system.  Prisoners were forbidden to speak to each other and mental disturbances were common. It became the model for British prisons. Executions were carried out here from 1902 until 1961.  .  The main range is large, but it is not as forbidding as many other prisons.  There has been recent damming report of conditions there.
419 this is a café called “Breakout “but it was previously the Caledonian Arms pub. Described as “bareknuckle Irish boozer with Gaelish signage and brawling on the pavement outside”.
Gordon’s Brewery was opened here in 1852. Alexander Gordon had come to London from Deeside and had been apprenticed to a Dundee brewer. He came to London to work for Truman and later worked for Deptford and Millwall engineers. His Caledonian Road Brewery was followed by another in Peckham opened in 1876. The Caledonian Road brewery ceased trading during the early years of the Great War.
427 The Cally.  This pub was originally the Balmoral Castle.  Dating from at least the 1860s. It was later called McLoachlin's and then the Eagle. It has been The Calley since 2013.
Caledonian Road Presbyterian Church, It was a ragstone building in Gothic style built by John Barnett & Birch in 1853. In 1868 it was transferred to the Bishop of London’s Fund and became St. Matthias's Church.
St. Matthias. This opened in 1868 as chapel of ease to in what had been the Caledonian Road. Presbyterian Church. The nave was used as sports hall in the 1970s. It was declared redundant in 1978 and demolished.
Royal Caledonian Asylum. This moved here in 1827-8 from Hatton Garden. It was built by George Tappen, for the Highland Society of London and intended for the orphaned children of poor exiled Scots.  All the children wore kilts Its Greek revival frontage stood as the on only building in the area. In 1902 it moved to Bushey because of the closeness of the prison
408 Caledonian Estate. When the Caledonian Asylum closed in 1904 the London County Council purchased the site 1906 for the second phase of LCC housing, 1900-7. It was probably designed by J. G. Stephenson of the LCC Housing Branch.  There are five blocks with Scottish names, two parallel to the street, with a bold entrance arch, the rest round a large court closed at the comers by brick arches and access to the flats from iron balconies. It is enlivened with Arts and Crafts details.
430 St Giles Christian Mission. Home for discharged prisoners – this was one of several such institutions owned by the Mission, who also provided breakfasts, and the gospel, to prisoners on release.
Caledonian Road Methodist Church. This was originally a Primitive Methodist Church for a congregation who had met in the area since the 1860s. This chapel was built in 1870. It became Caledonian Road. Methodist Church in 1932. The building is thought to be one of the best in Islington.
455 Plaque to Carlo Gatti ice depot. It says “A large ice well was built here in 1862 by Carlo Gatti to hold 1500 tons of Norwegian ice.”  It is described as “a brick-built, windowless, 'round house,' with some sort of machinery surmounting its roof.”
Police Station. This is now out of police use and converted to flats. A police station is shown here on the 1871 OS map.
468 Pocock Arms. Closed and in other use. Dated from the 1840s.
Caledonian Road Station. Opened in 1906 it lies between Holloway Road and Kings Cross on the Piccadilly Line built by the Great Northern, Piccadilly and Brompton Railway. It is a Leslie Green designed station with frontages with rows of large arches; ox-blood faience tiles outside, cream- and brown-tiled inside with handsome lettering. The station continues to use lifts, never having been upgraded to escalators. The lifts descend directly to platform level with no secondary staircases which means the station is advertised as "Step Free”. Two original lifts were removed and the shafts used for ventilation but the portals are still there. The original station is essentially intact although the ticket hall has been modernised and some detailing has been changed on the frontage.  The glazed elevation at the back is a control room.  A wooden fire hydrant is original.  . The original name board survives and is a design ancestor of the LT roundel.
Caledonian Road Board School.  London County Council building, 1904

Cottage Road
This leads to the Islington Waste Recycling Centre, (in the square to the north)

Davy Close
This was previously part of St.Clements Street
St. Clement’s Church. Designed by George Gilbert Scott, and built by, Dove Brothers, in 1865. This is a brick church which was lit by gas from the time it was built. From 1966, it was used by the Greek Orthodox Church of Saint John the Baptist. It has since been converted to flats.
Memorial. This is a war memorial but there is no mention of a war on it. There is a list of names, on each side of the cross, a small shield and the inscription ‘Greater love hath no man than this’.
Church hall. This was damaged in the Second World War and rebuilt in 1956 and was consecrated to be used as St.Clements Church. Saint Clements’s united with Saint David, West Holloway. It is now housing. It is adjacent to the church.

Faraday Close
Northern District Telephone Exchange. This has been in use here since 1906 and apparently is an adaption of the Sandemanian Chapel which sources seem to suggest remains inside. It was extended in 1923. It is now known as Lower Holloway Exchange and serves Barnsbury and Lower Holloway, and had NORth telephone numbers until the late 1960s. The building has had a considerable amount of additional structures added since the 1920s and subsequently.
Brass plate on the floor inside the building. This is fixed in the parquet floor at the site of Faraday’s pew when this telephone exchange was a Sandemanian chapel.
Plaque. This was on the wall marking the location of the preaching platform, and unveiled by Lord Kelvin in 1906.  It is now in the Royal Institution collection and was once mounted above a public telephone in their reception area. It said “Erected by the staff of the National Telephone Company Limited to commemorate the fact that Michael Faraday used to worship here from 1862 till the date of his death in 1867. From 1862 to 1899 this building was the Meeting House of the Sandemanians, of which body Michael Faraday was an Elder. This plate marks the position which he usually occupied on the platform. The position of his pew is indicated by a plate on the floor.”
Sandemanian Meeting House. This dated from from 1862 when the congregation moved from Paul's Alley. It was a simple building of white brick with two rows of raised seats at far end for elders. Michael Faraday was an elder until 1864. In 1901 the meeting moved to Highbury Crescent

Lough Road
This was previously Wellington Road, and before that Pack Horse Lane
Lough Road Centre. This offers short breaks for the carers of disabled children.
New River College. This is a consortium of three Pupil Referral Units (PRU) split across four sites.. The Secondary PRU is based at here.
Wellington Road School. This began as a temporary board school opened in 1879. A new school was built in 1893 in the London School Board three-decker style, with a school house and rear entrance on Westbourne Road. In 1947 it was renamed Alfred Prichard primary and closed before 1965.  The building was later used by Our Lady of Sacred Heart as an annexe. The school buildings in this area were used by a number of schools
Paradise Park. Park and urban farm set up on areas previously housing.  It is aimed at family days out; with children activities, a nursery and an adventure playground.

Mackenzie Road
This was previously called St. James Road

Roman Way
10 Railway Tavern. Now flats
47 Alfred Tavern. demolished
109 Union Brewery. This belonged to Frederick Blogg pre 1869 and then became the Union Brewery (Barnsbury). It was dissolved in 1902and was sited at the rear of the Caledonian Asylum
109 Two Brewers. pub
114 City of Rome Tavern. Later called the Jug O’Punch. Now flats.

Wellington Mews
Wellington Mews. Flats in a 6-storey Victorian prison officers’ block

Westbourne Road
St David. This was originally built by 1935-6 E. L. Blackburne in  1866-9 but burned down and was rebuilt by T.F. Ford.  It continued in use by Anglicans until 1984 but had been shared with a Greek Orthodox congregation who continued to use it until 2004. This is now Hope Church. Islington and has recently reopened as a sister church to St.Mary Magdalen in Holloway Road and has been redesigned as a community building. A Danish School  also functions in the building.

Sources
AIM 25. Web site
Archer, Nature Conservation in Islington
Brtitish History Online. Islington. Web site
Cantor. Michael Faraday, Sandemanian and Scientist:
Children’s Homes. Web site 
Clunn. The Face of London
Cosh. The squares of Islington
Day, London Underground
Field.  London Place Names 
GLIAS. Newsletter
London Borough of Islington. Web site.
London Remembers. Web site
Lucas. London
Pevsner and Cherry. London North
Pub History. Web site
Royal Deeside. Web site
Social Housing History. Web site
Wikipedia. As appropriate
Willatts. Streets with a Story

Sunday, 22 October 2017

Bush Hill Park



Post to the west Bush Hill Park
Post to the south Bury Street


Abbey Road
64 Parr Manufacturing. Metal fancy goods – including for the military.  They seem to have been active here 1930s-1950s but may have been earlier
64 Sun House Blaze Communications.  “Brand marketing and digital strategies’ ‘Enfield’s Industrial heritage is in our DNA’.
Graphotone Printing Works. 1880-1907 when it was burnt out. They appear to have produced photographic works of sights and events.
11 War Resisters' International. This organisation had been set up in the Netherlands in 1921 This is the address of its first Secretary, Herbert Runham Brown who had spent two and a half years in a British prison as a conscientious objector. The organisation still exists and is based in the Caledonian Road

Agricola Place
Built on the site of a what was Fourth Avenue
35 John Jackson Library. This was opened in 1948 as Bush Hill Park Library in what was Fourth Avenue. The building was previously part of St. Mark’s School. As a library it was later renamed after a local councillor and resident and had been refurbished and relaunched in 2010.
St. Mark’s School. A building is shown on this site from the 1890s marked as ‘school’ and may be the site of the original St.Mark’s Church. A Mission Room is also listed in the road. St.Mark’s. The school opened in 1882 as a Church of England School. This school was not adequate and as a result a School Board was set up to open and manage local schools.

Bush Hill Park
Bush Hill Park Co. this was built up from 1877. Developed by Northern Estates Company. They had been established in 1875 to develop Bush Hill Park as a high-class building estate. The Station was opened in 1880. On the west side of the tracks were wide tree lined streets although only a scatter of original houses remain. Others have been replaced with modern flats. The other side of the tracks is the working class Cardigan Estate

Charles Street
Purity Laundry. This was established shortly before the Great War.  They had four shops in Enfield. In Charles Street items were washed and ironed as well as being starched and a fleet of vans collected clothing to be laundered and delivered it back to the shops concerned. It closed down around 1969.
Enfield Embroidery Co. starting in a small shop this was taken over by Alex Jamieson & Co. produced high class work for West End shops and export.

First Avenue
First road laid out in 1880.
Bush Hill Park Station.  1880. This lies between Enfield Town and Edmonton Green on One Railway. It was originally opened by the Great Eastern Railway. The railway acted as a social barrier – one side working class, the other middle. Burnt down in 1981 and rebuilt in brick a year later. Built in order to encourage development.

Ladbroke Road
Bluebell House. This was once a dairy. It now seems to be a very scruffy trading estate

Leighton Road
Gospel Hall. This was first used by Brethren in 1910. It is now a Community Church.

Longleat Road
Bush Hill Park Club. In 1905, a new clubhouse was built for the Bush Hill Park Club, which is still in use. It became the social centre of the estate with whist drives, card parties, concerts, and social functions as well as sports.  Eventually the Club acquired ownership of the site and also added to the facilities. More recently some facilities have been renewed.

Main Avenue
Bush Hill Park United Reformed Church. This was a congregational church which was built by a congregation who had previously met in Avenue hall. Thus the church was erected in 1910, largely at the expense of George Spicer, and was later given the name of the George Spicer memorial church.  It is in an Arts and Crafts style.
Hall. This was added in 1932,
St Marks This began as an iron mission-room in Fourth Avenue in 1885. A permanent church was consecrated in 1893 as a chapel of ease to St Andrew's and became a parish church in 1903. It was designed by JEK and JP Cutts in a plain early English style and built of red brick.  It was not completed until 1915; and a spire was never built.  It is in the Catholic tradition of the Church of England

Millais Road
Bush Hill Park Club
St.Mark’s Church Hall. This is shown as an infant school on early maps

Mortimer Drive
6 Enfield Chase Tennis Club. The club was thought to have been founded in 1910 and that the clubhouse was believed was originally been a golf clubhouse. Development of the current site was completed in 1986 and the clubhouse was opened in 1987

Private Road
This was once a gated road. All big house.s
8 Brooklyn, Built by the Arts and Crafts architect A. H. Mackmurdo for his brother.
6 Mackmurdo built this for his mother in 1874-6. Since demolished..

Queen Anne’s Place
Some tile-hung shops of the 1880s in the tradition of Bedford Parksetting the tone for the middle class development.

Roman Way
Enfield Council Housing of 1974. Roman names because many Roman remains found during building.
Wheatsheaf Hall. This was the Avenue Hall which had been a Baptist mission set up in 1881 which was taken over by Congregationalists, who from met here from 1887. It was sold in was sold in 1936 and became Wheatsheaf Hall. It now operates as a community, social support and sports centre

Saddlers Mill Stream
Flows mostly underground south eastwards before merging with Salmons Brook. However, the stream is visible at Village Road and Wellington Road.

St.Mark’s Road
St Mark’s Institute. This was a parish centre used by the Sunday Schools and other events. In the Great War from 1916 it was a VAD hospital for wounded soldiers which closed in 1919. It was later used as a social security office. It was sold by the parish to a developer for the and is now flats called Chapel Court
141 St. Mark’s Hotel. Dates from the 1890s

Village Road
St Stephen’s Church.  Designed Alder in 1906-7 and a parish church since 1909. ,.
War memorial lychgate  by B Alder, 1919-20.   
                                 
Wellington Road
The earliest houses mostly by R. Tayler Smith were along the main axis.
Bush Hill Methodist Church
Enfield Cricket Club. Lincoln Road Ground The club was formed in 1856,  in 1867 when the move was made to a new base at the Lincoln Road ground.



Sources
British History online. Enfield. Web site
Bush Hill Club. Web site
Dalling. The Enfield Book
Enfield Archaeological Society. Web site
Enfield Chase Tennis Club. Web site
Enfield Cricket Club. Web site
Field. London Place Names
Lost Hospitals of London. Web site
Pam. A Desirable Neighbourhood
Pam. A Victorian Suburb
Pevsner and Cherry.  London North
St.Marks Church. Web site