Post to the east Titsey Plantation
Post to the south Chalkpit Wood
This was once the main road north from Oxted.
Southern Gravel Ltd on the site which was Oxted Greystone Lime Co. Opened in the 19th century the chalk pit at Oxted is extensive. The original company dated from 1885 but by 1932 it was being run by the Oxted Greystone Lime Co. Ltd who was associated with the Dorking Greystone Lime Co. Ltd. In 1993 it was owned by Tilcon working on the west side of Chalk Pit Lane digging on a daily basis. Previously hydrated burnt lime was brought here from Skipton. This was used by the building industry. In 1993 chalk dug here was used for agricultural purposes. Nine lime kilns remain from work in the 1970s and there were the remains of six 'Oxted Kilns' some of which can be seen n the skyline. Originally chalk was moved on site by skips on rails later replaced by lorries and a chalk crushing plant was installed. Traces of the rails remained in the 1990s. Adjacent to the kilns was a derelict bricklayers' hut. There was also an unusual steel kiln on site. The works once served by a railway siding from the Oxted line and here are some remains south of the M25. The Quarry closed in 2011 but the site is still in use. It is likely to become a housing site.
Whistlers’ Steep. This is a posh house just off the road. It is also the name of the slope which includes pedestrian access to the Vanguard Way long distance footpath.
Oxted Downs East. An area of downland below Whistlers Steep
Quarry Cottages. 19th housing for quarry workers.
Whistlers Wood was once an estate which encompassed the houses and Flint House. The site is surrounded by a substantial, decorative brick wall. The area around Flint House Farm appears to have been acquired in the late 19th by a member of the Cunard family or the company and to have been called locally the Cunard Estate. They built the wall and gardens around the house and built some other buildings to the north. These became after the Second World War the Rolls Royce and Bentley Owners Club. They seem now to be all private housing.
Whistlers Court – this is a collection of dwellings within Whistlers wood. Old maps show a collection of rectangular buildings to the rear of the current house which no longer exist.
Flint House. This is a late 17th farmhouse which became a gardeners cottage within part of Whistlers Wood Estate nib the 19th. It is in the north east corner of the site. There are plans to replace it with a modern house.
Gazebo. A brick building in the landscaped garden all designed in the style of the 17th. This may have been built in the early 20th
Oxted and Limpsfield Residents. Web site
Surrey History. Industrial Archaeology of Godstone
Tandridge District Council. Web site