Tuesday, 10 January 2017

M25 Lullingstone Parkgate


Post to the north Daltons Road
Post to the west Well Hill
Post to the south Shoreham Great Cockerhurst


M25

Park Gate Road
Park Gate was outside Lullingstone Park, providing access to it and to a drive running directly to Lullingtone House
Old Park Gate Farm, Oasthouses in 2 parallel ranges. They are early 19th with weatherboarded gables and two square oasts with tiled roofs retaining cowls and fantails. Now converted to housing. These are now separate from the house.
Park Gate House. This was the farm house at Old Park Gate Farm. It is an 18th house in red brick. It  was the home of Constance Spry, educationalist and flower arranger, from 1934 to 1947 and during the Second World War the gardens were a resource as providers of flowers and vegetables for use in collaborative London floristry and culinary enterprises. Students at Swanley Horticultural College were taught by her and came to help with the landscaping and nursery work. The gardens were then a showplace but there have, obviously, been changes in successive subsequent ownerships.
Lullingstone Park Golf Club. This is now run by a management chain. It was set up in the mid-1960s, when Kent County Council leased the park to Dartford Rural District Council, who created an 18-hole golf course here.. Later a 9-hole course was also added.

Sources
British Listed Buildings. Web site
Curnow & Laming.  Eynsford.  
Historic England. Web site
Parkgate House. Kent Gardens Trust. Web site
Pevsner. West Kent
Sensio. Web site

No comments: