Sunday, 1 January 2017

M25 Ockendon Junction 30



Post to the north Belhus Park
Post to the east South Ockendon
Post to the south Ship Lane


Aveley By Pass
This was completed by 1969 and runs east from the junction of Sandy Lane and Mill Road, to Stifford Road. its construction split Aveley into two communities. The area to the north is Kenningtons and to the south is Aveley Village.
Land south of the by-pass is under development for housing.

Belhus Park
Sports area of Belhus Park. The area south of Park Lane is home to a number of sports clubs. This includes football and rugby clubs, as well as tennis, squash and other sports including boxing and kick boxing.
Aveley Youth Football Club. The club was founded in 1927 and is associated with Aveley Football Club
Recreation Ground. This is the area west of Park Lane and north of the bypass. It appears to have been a gravel pit and then, inflilled, to become open land marked as ‘recreation ground’.  It was apparently a field used by Thurrock Model Aircraft Club as a flying area.  It is now to be developed as a new pitch, clubhouse and centre for Aveley Football Club.
Aveley Football Club was formed in 1927 and played in local leagues until 1939. Club activities were suspended during the war years.. After the war they moved from Lodge Meadow to Mill Field, and were thus nicknamed The Millers. They are now moving again.


Fullbrook Lane
Courts County Secondary School. This was opened in 1951 in buildings designed by Denis Clarke Hall.  In 1971 it was closed and the buildings sold to the Roman Catholics. It then became
St. Cedd's Roman Catholic voluntary aided secondary comprehensive school for boys.  This closed in 1989 and the site is now housing.
Electricity transformer station. Prominent brick building, fenced round, on a green.

M25
Outer London Ring Road proposed in Abercrombie in 1944. Discussed into the 1970s. First sections completed 1975 and the bit between the M11 and the A13 opened in 1983
Junction 30, The Mar Dyke Interchange. This  first opened in 1982 for the A13 Tilbury Bypass the M25 opening soon after.. It is built over the Mar Dyke and the southbound slip roads have their own bridges. The A13 over-bridge here was built for the opening of the junction and it was unused for 16 years opening in the late 1990s. In the 2000s, it was signalised because it is now also the main junction for Lakeside and Thurrock Services. It is Junction 30 of the M25.

Stifford Road
Aveley Primary School.The school orifijnates from 1914 but in its present form dates from 1990 when the Aveley Infants and Junior Schools joined together. The cxurrent building dates from the early 1950’s.
Hangman’s Wood.  There is a childrens’ play area, an area for basketball and a wooded area
Bridlepath. This connects Hangman's Wood with nearby Terrel’s Heath and is part of an ancient route from Coalhouse Point to the bridge or causeway at Aveley
Sand Pit and gravel pit, now disused


Sources
Aveley Football Club. Web site
Aveley Primary School. Web site
Aveley Youth Football Club. Web site
British History OnLine. Aveley. Web site
London Encyclopaedia
SABRE. Web site
Thurrock Community Forums. Web site

No comments: