Tuesday, 14 February 2017
M25 Lower Ashtead
Post to the south Leatherhead Fortyfoot
Post to the north Lower Ashtead
Post to the west Leatherhead Industrial railside
Merry Hall. This is a late 18th house with 1788 on the chimney. It was the home of writer Beverley Nichols.
Barn – this is near Murray’s Court. This is now used as a stable. It is probably 17th with a timber frame on brick plinth, with
weather-board on the front
Once a large area of woodland now reduced to a few trees on verges.
The Bypass. This section is the remains of a road which ran from the Knoll Roundabout (in the square to the south) to the Plough roundabout and a junction with Kingston Road (in the square to the west). It is now the A243 and having reached Junction 9 with the M25 now continued north instead of curving west.
Highways Agency Depot. This is in an island between the Bypass Road and the M25.
Appears to be new housing on the site of Ashstead Grange, and the subsequent school on that site.
St Peter’s Catholic Primary School. The school began is a small building next to the Church of Our Lady and St.Peter in Leatherhead, in 1947. In 1958 they moved to the present site and in 1975 the school became a First and Middle school. In 1993, with the reorganisation of the age of transfer, it became a Primary School.
St Andrews Catholic School. This is a Christian secondary school and sixth form college.. Originally a convent, its main buildings are from the mid-1950s and a new building are being added.
Junction 9. This is the Leatherhead Interchange which opened in 1985, and was one of last junctions of the M25 to open. It interchanges with the A243.
Gate Lodge. This was the lodge to Ashstead Grange. This has a monogram on it and the date of 1895. The monogram appears to be W. R?? B – which presumably refers to Mr. Birts.
Ashtead Grange, This was the home of W. T. Birts in the late 19th and sold in 1919. After that it appears to have been a poultry farm and to have become St.Michael’s Convent School by the time of the Second World War. The site is now housing.
Old Cottage. Timber framed house which was a bakery in the 19th, although earlier in the 19th it was called Ordnance Cottage. In the early 20th it was a nursery for roses.
British Listed Buildings. Web site
Leatherhead Local History Society. Web site
Mole Valley Council. Web site.
SABRE. Web site
St. Andrew’s Catholic School. Web site
St. Peter’s Catholic Primary School. Web site
Posted by M at 13:02