Monday, 13 February 2017

M25 Leatherhead - Fortyfoot


Post to the east Leatherhead Ermyn Way
Post to the west Leatherhead
Post to the north Lower Ashstead



Beechwood Park
Housing on part of the site for the Royal School for the Blind.

By pass road
This is divided by the roundabout at The knoll. North of the roundabout it is the A243, south is the A24 which continues that road which has joined it from the east and which originally continued in to the town centre.

Epsom Road
Downsend School. Pre-‘preparatory’ department in a building originally called The Rowans.
Christ Church. This dates from 1829 when it wass an independent Congregational church, joining the United Reformed Church in 1972. The current church was built in 1935 about to replace building in the town centre
Cottage Hospital. This was opposite the end of Garlands Road on the site now covered by Victoria House. The Leatherhead and District Victoria Memorial Cottage Hospital was opened in 1904 and enlarged in 1927. Later a house opposite, Fairmead, was added as the X Ray department. Patients were expected to provide their own bed wear and changes of bed linen.  In time it was decided to build a new hospital and fund raising began. The Cottage Hospital closed in 1940 when the new Leatherhead Hospital opened. In 1960 the former building was converted into a home for disabled people by the Voluntary Association for Surrey Disabled and renamed Victoria House.  By 2000 it was too the old and the home closed in January 2011. Victoria House is a block of flats built in 2005.


Forty Foot Road
This road was built before 1895. It was referred to as a private road and has never been adopted.
The Beeches. A residential care home,
Fortyfoot Recreation Ground. This was opened in 1925 by Leatherhead Urban District Council. It includes a small children's playground and football pitch and a bowling green which is used by Leatherhead Bowling Club. There is also an informal woodland area with a number of paths
Leatherhead Bowling Club. The club was founded in 1908 and moved here in 1925. They have hosted several Surrey County matches. In 1966 the Leatherhead Ladies Bowling Club was formed but in 2012, Ladies and Men’s associations merged nationally.
Fortyfoot Hall. This is also Epsom and Leatherhead Mencap Hall and likely to be replaced with flats above a new hall.
Woodlands School.   The school caters for pupils with severe or profound learning difficulties from across Surrey.
St.Marys Church of England Infants School. The school's name changed when it moved here from Poplar Road and it was officially opened in 1986 and closed in 2006.


Green Lane
This may be on the line of a long distance Bronze Age trackway called the Harroway.  A Saxon mass grave was found in this area in 1927.

Highlands Road
56-66 Kingston House. Royal School for the Blind.   This was founded in Southwark in 1799 and moved here in 1902. Was one of the largest such institutions in the world with the King as patron.  In 1939 at the start of the Second World War the school became King's College Hospital‘s Emergency Medical Service. With an operating theatre and laboratories, etc.   Part of the School was damaged by bombs in 1940. It was decommissioned in 1946 and the Chelsea Pensioners infirmary until 1956.  It was eventually re-opened in 1958. In the late 1990s the buildings were sold  and main building is now flats; Lavender Close and more blocks have been added. The Chapel is now serviced offices.
Entrance to the Royal School. The pillars remain without the gates. The Lodge is now a private house.

Knoll  roundabout
The Knoll was a house on the corner of Epsom Road and what became the ByPass Road. It was used as a school in the Second World Warl

Leatherhead road
Downsend School. Private fee paying ‘prep’ school. The school was founded, owned and run by the he Linford family. It first opened in Hampstead in 1898.  In 1940 it was set up at the Downsend site. By 2002 there were no more Linfords and it was sold to Asquith Court Schools Ltd, It is now run as a profitable business by Cognita

M25

Poplar Road
Leatherhead Community Hospital & Clinic. In 1938 work began on a new hospital to replace the Cottage Hospital in Epsom Road.  It opened in 1940 and immediately joined the Emergency Medical Service.  In 1948 it joined the NHS as a modern GP hospital. In 1959 Dr C.W. von Bergen one of the founders died. A plaque to his memory was unveiled by Lord Beaverbrook. In 2006 the Hospital became the responsibility of the Central Surrey Health a not-for-profit community services provider owned by its employees who continue to run it.
Church of England School, this was on site here for for 102 years but moced to new buildings on the Fortyfoot Road site in 1986. The old Poplar Road school was converted to maisonettes.

Quarry Gardens
There was a chalk pit in this area

Sources
Christ Church. Web site
Downsend School. Web site
Leatherhead Bowls Club. Web site
Lost Hospitals of London. Web site
Mole Valley District Council. Web site
SABRE. Web site

No comments: