Saturday, 11 February 2017

M25 Headley


Post to the east Hurst Road, Walton



Costal Wood
Wood with ‘regimented conifers’.
Headley Clay Pigeon Shoot – takes place in the wood on specific dates

Hurst Lane
Old Telephone Exchange
Hook Wood, Wingfield Stables – livery
Headley Park Farm. Livery stables

Hurst Road
Walton Hurst Farm. The farmhouse is 16th with a timber frame and brick infill.
Dovecote. This is at the farm and is probably 19th in flint. Inside the upper walls are lined with wooden nesting boxes.
Steeple cottage –house with a steeple

M25

Oyster Hill.
Woodland. Deposit of fossilised oyster shells found here. Said to have been an extensive deposit in Thanet Sands. The wood was bought for the National Trust as the result of local gifts in 1980

Tilley Lane
Headley Park. This was first called Headley House and owned by the Ladbroke family with a interest in horse racing and the development of Ladbroke Grove, In 1895 it was sold to the John Mappin of Mappin and Webb, Jewellers who added to the house but it was burnt down in 1896.. It re built in 1898. Second World War it was split into 5 houses, including Farriers, below.
Farriers , In the second world war this was a temporary home to Joseph Kennedy, the American Ambassador to Britain. It is actually a wing of Headley Park. It was later used by the Canadian High Commission. It is now private housing.
Oyster Hill Forge. This is now an interior decoration shop. In 2009 it was Bubear & Jones' blacksmith and forgemaster. The building is 18th in flint with some weatherboarding A chimney serves an  interior furnace at the back,.

Sources
British Listed Buildings. Web site
Headley Clay Pigeon Shoot.  Web site
Headley. The Parish Plan. Web site
Leatherhead Local History Society. Web site
Mole Valley Council. Web site
Reigate and Banstead Council. Web site
Surrey Life. Web site

No comments: