Post to the south Hornsey
Post to the east Wood Green
Post to the north Bowes Park
Post to the west Alexandra Park
The park is on the site of Tottenham Wood Farm which had belonged to Thomas Rhodes. (The majority of the park is in squares to the south and west - the racecourse and sports areas below are mainly in the square to the south)
Alexandra Park Racecourse. This opened in 1868. The land has now been incorporated into the park. Extensive new car parks 1985 opened on the site of the race track paddocks.
Swimming pool. This open air pool probably opened in 1867 or 1875. It lay between the racecourse and the reservoir and was 200 yards long. Now just reeds are left but edging kerbs are still visible. It seems to have closed in the 1920s
This is part of what was Wood Green Common. This now lies bounded by Station Road, St. Michael's Terrace and Park Avenue - and the line of what was the Palace Gates Railway is between here and Nightingale Gardens. The New River runs beneath it.
Markers - there are three metal New River company markers on its route under the park.
Houses. Terraced housing here is an 1894 development by Barratts, the local confectionary manufacturer. There are terracotta date plaques and other decorative features
Wood Green Station. This was the downside buildings of what is now Alexandra Palace Station and stood in the bend of Bedford Road where there is a small pull in behind an island. There was a footbridge linking the two sides. It served the oldracecourse, and faced Alexandra Palace. It was called 'The Palace Office' and was indicated on tickets by the initials 'PO'. This entrance closed in 1967, and the buildings still stood in 1973.
Bounds Green Road
Previously this was Bounds Lane which is known to have existed in the 14th
3-5 Marom House. This was built for an undertaker in the 1930s and used to have Egyptian statues outside.
3-5 Tottenham and District Gas Company office. This closed in the 1930s.
St.Michael and All Angels. This is the Parish church which replaced an earlier Chapel of Ease. It is a stone- faced crossroads landmark designed in 1844 by G. G. Scott & W.B. Moffatt and reconstructed in 1865 by H. Curzon, The tower was built in 1874, with a spire added in 1887 and a golden cockerel weather vane. The bells were the gift of Samuel Page of Chitts Hill. The reredos is a Great War memorial.
St. Michael's Schools. This originally stood on the site next to the church used as a car park and by travellers. In 1859 this was opened as a Sunday School. It was later enlarged with Mrs.Pearson of Nightingale Hall as a major donor
Trinity Primary Academy. This is what was Nightingale Primary School turned into an "academy" run by Academies Enterprise Trust" It was built as Wood Green Higher Grade School for boys and girls in 1889 and in 1921 became the boys' department of Trinity County Mixed Grammar School. Later it was part of St.Thomas More School until 1992 when it became a primary school named for the local estate. The buildings date from 1889 by Mitchell & Butler. It has towers with
two cupolas and a weather vane.
Trinity Gardens. Triangular strip of what was common land running alongside the north Side of the road
Obelisk. This stands at the northern end of Trinity Gardens and includes a drinking fountain. Until 1904 it stood in the road on the corner of Park Avenue, but was moved to prevent it becoming an obstruction. It was put up in 1879 as a memorial to Mrs.Srnithies who founded the Band of Mercy.
St.Michael's Church of England Primary School. This is on the site of an extension to the original school opened in 1872 as Senior Schools with money donated by Mrs. Pearson of Nightingale Hall, who also gave the site. It was replaced in 1972
St.Michael's Church Hall. This dates from 1911. Designed by H.S.Alder
St.Michael's Rectory. Mrs.Pearson of Nightingale Hall was a major donor as it says on the foundation stone
15 W.Nodes. They have been undertakers here since 1846 but are now part of a larger national company
Nightingale Hall. This house fronted the south side of the road with grounds covering Northcott and Cornwall Gardens. The site previously had been a farm recorded in the 14th and known as Nightingale Hall Farm from around 1770. The house was thought to be 'at least Elizabethan 'and was a gentleman's residence by the mid 19th. By then it had a gothic casing and a conservatory. It was demolished in 1894.
Nightingale Hall Estate. The estate - which had been the farm lands of Nightingale Hall, had also been called Woodreddings or Woodridings stretched to what is now Nightingale Gardens but was cut in two by the Great Northern Railway. By the 1890s this was laid out with roads, and some parkland.
Muswell Stream runs in a culvert under the road. Can be seen by a dip. Runs from Muswell Hill to join Pymmes Brook at Palmers Green.
Bounds Green Ambulance Station. This was built as Wood Green Urban District Council Fire Station in 1913. Firemen's flats were built to the rear in 1914. The fire station was redundant in 1963 and there are now flats to the rear. There was once a small lake alongside it on the line of the Muswell Stream.
Ventilation shaft for the Piccadilly Line. This is on the corner of Nightingale Road partly hidden behind trees. Built in 1932 in modern style it replaced houses. The Muswell Stream runs somewhere beneath the site.
Avenue Lodge. This dates from 1880 and includes a meeting hall of 1907. It was the Wood Green Liberal Club 1910-1930s. It is now Co-operative Child Care Nursery,
St. Paul's Roman Catholic Infants and Junior School. This was founded in 1885 and rebuilt in the 1960s.
Wood Green Hall. Cheap hostel accommodation.
2a Mirror Laundry, they had a works here from around 1910. By the 1970s the building was Haringey Trade Union Centre, which included a music club and rooms available for meetings. This seems to be closed and become a community cafe and by 2000 it was a children's play centre. It appears to have been demolished around 2005.
The road was built in 1904 on the site of North London Cycling and Athletic grounds- the residual 10 acres of Nightingale Hall's northern grounds.
Wood Green Baptist Church. This was built in 1907 in an art nouveau style by George Baines & Son with lots of flint with brick dressings. There are four foundation stones. The church began with meetings at private houses. Eventually land was bought and a church was opened in Finsbury Road in 1876. In 1907 together with another church they moved to Braemar Avenue and the new church
was opened. A hall at the back was extended in the 1950s.
Michael's Terrace. This is mixed sheltered and other housing. It was built in 1983-7 by Haringey's David Hayhow on the site of Palace Gates Station.
Palace Gates Station. This was on a footpath between Braemar and Cornwall Road. It has a redbrick station building which was demolished in the 1970s. It had two platforms, and a glazed footbridge, supported by brick towers. Both platforms were covered by awnings. The station closed in 1963 but remained open for another year for goods traffic. The covered footbridge spanning the tracks went around 1967, and the canopies and platform buildings followed a couple of years later. The platforms themselves lasted into the 1980s, although heavily overgrown.
Signal box. This was at the London end of the down platform
Watering and coaling facilities, and a turntable. Sidings here were provided by London Underground as compensation for Wellington Sidings at Highgate.
1-15 Railway workers cottages. These date from 1907
Bounds Green Service Delivery Depot
Bounds Green Traction Maintenance Depot. In 1987 under British Rail the depot also maintained main line diesel locomotives. It is now operated by Virgin Trains East Coast and supplies traction for long distance services on the East Coast Main Line
Depot entrance – by the entrance to the depot is a small building which appears older and to have no apparent function – except maybe as some sort of gatekeeper’s office.
Coverite, waterproofing specialist - for model makers and others
Moselle. The stream ran or runs at the back of the buildings to the south.
St.John’s Church. This was sold in 1979 the proceeds of the sale going to St. Michael's Wood Green to install new gas boilers and build new parish rooms. St. Johns was a mission church opened in 1898. In the first ten years it was very active and also held Children's Services, open-air Gospel Meetings and much else. In the Second World War it was used for Midnight Mass because of the black-out regulations and was joined by the bombed out Salvationists and their band. Two halls at the rear of the church were utilised as a Church Army social centre.
Davis and Timmins Screw factory. This company was also based in Walthamstow, and King’s Cross. Their works here in Wood Green had an address in Brook Road, although the works entrance seems to have been in Clarendon Road. The company dated from 1876 and by 1961 made screws, nuts and bolts, wireless terminals, lubricator nipples, steel ball joint, carburettor components, cycle tyres, valves and safety razor frames. They were then taken over by Delta Metal.
Royal Mail sorting office. This has the original sorting office site behind in Terrick Road as the loading bay. There is a date plaque of ‘1952’.
The Gate. This pub opened in 1875 as the Palace Cafe. In the 1890s it became the Alexandra Palace Hotel and was then refitted in 1899 by Richard Dickenson. Later it was the Railway Hotel and then the Starting Gate, because of the local horse racing connections. It became known as a pub where there were folk and jazz gigs.
It is tempting to relate the road name to the Caxton Chocolate Co. who were couverture manufacturers and whose works and plant were part of the Barratt site. However Caxton did not come to Wood Green until 1935 and this street name dates from before 1914.
6-10 Asian Centre. The Council of Asian People was formed in 1981 and the centre was set up as a place for social get together for the elderly and others. It now offers a range of activities in welfare, education and training.
This old industrial area has now been renamed part of the Cultural Quarter. On maps of the 1960s- 70s buildings here, as far as they are marked as anything, are all ‘confectionary works’ with the implication that the entire area was u by Barratts.
Guillemot Place. Trading and industrial units in old industrial buildings. This includes clothing manufacturers and recording studios. Briefly Livingstone Studios was here.
The Chocolate Factory. Arts centre Also known as The Business Centre at Wood Green. This was a building for Barratts confectionary works. It covers a large structure of several parts, the older sections dating to 1904, 1907 and 1933-35. The 1904 section is in painted brick with cambered window heads with a date stone for ‘AD1904’ and other brick lettering ‘Barratt’s confectionary’ inside. The 1907 section has large steel columns internally. The modernist block was built by 1935-55 with pressed concrete panels and balconies and enclosing a courtyard. Mountview Theatre School have some accommodation here including rehearsal rooms, singing studios and the Sir John Mills Scenery Workshop.
Parma House. This is accommodation for creative industries – from artists to graphic designers.
1-2 Mount View. Academy of Theatre Art. This includes rehearsal rooms and the Ralph Richardson Rehearsal Studios.
In the 19th this was a residential area and called Myddleton Road.
Haringey Heartiands. Regeneration in an area where buildings were used by the Barratt Confectionary factory
Barratt's building including a curved frontage to this road by P. J. Westwood in partnership with Joseph Emberton 1922-1926.
John Aldis House. Care Home
Trading Estate - six industrial units six around a courtyard by the Terry Farrell Partnership, 1978-9
Bittern Place. Up to the 1960s this was Lawton Road.
Olympia Trading Estate. Made up of industrial/warehouse units of steel portal frame construction with a lot of darkened glass
Mallard Place – trading estate and workplace units
John Raphael House. Faith Miracle Centre. This dates from 1999.
Built up originally in the 1860s with middle-class villas.
LCC- type mixed development planned from 1959 under A. J. Rebbeck, Wood Green Borough Engineer. This replaced the villas with point blocks and a low terrace with shops.
33 Alexandra Pub. This was built in 1868 and was an original building in the road. It was also eventually called Motts and was an Allied Breweries house. It had closed by 2003 and since been demolished.
Villas built in 1908 on the site of North London Cycling and Athletic grounds- the residual 10 acres of Nightingale Hail northern grounds.
Originally Warlborough Road
The demolished Palace Gates line ran at the back of the houses on the south side of the road.
Primitive Methodist Chapel. This opened between 1872 and 1900 near the corner with Station Road.
Originally Ellesborough Road
Railway workers cottages of 1907 in pale brick. 12 of them
Alexandra Palace Station. The old station forecourt would have stood roughly on the site of the passage way at the end of modern housing.
Houses. Low-rise terraces of the 1970s.
Greek Orthodox Church of St.Barnabas. This was built in 1875 as Wood Green Baptist Chapel, and replaced in 1907 by Braemar Avenue Baptist Church. It was then used by the Catholic Apostolic Church until 1965 and then became Greek Orthodox and the St.Barnabas Community,
43-51 original houses and shops including an archway which went through to premises at the rear
Trinity Primary ‘Academy’. This was previously Nightingale Primary School . This is an extension of the school in Bounds Green Road and is built across the line of Finsbury Roads, cutting it off from its northern line.
Between St.Michael's Terrace and Nightingale Road. Partly follows the line of a subway under the railway from 1878 to 1980.
This is part of an old drovers road much of which is still called Green Lanes, the section through Wood Green now called High Road
276 Canning Crescent Centre. Haringey Healthcare NHS Trust building. It was designed by MacCormac Jamieson Prichard, 1994 as a combination of mental health centre linked to a small acute day hospital. It had a series of chimney-like projections rising from cross-walls which are ventilation flues operated by solar warmth.
St.James' Presbyterian Church, This was built in 1878 and ‘noted for its grandeur’ replacing a Church of Scotland iron chapel. A Sunday school building added later. In the 1950s it united with the Bowes Park Congregational church and the building became a warehouse. It was demolished in the 1970s
287 Police front counter building. This was the Fishmongers Arms a public house which closed after 2000 at which time it was known as O'Rafferty's. It is now used by the Metropolitan Police. It had an assembly room used a nightclubs and retains its original iron columns in what was a stable yard
242 The Grand Palace. This was the Kings Pub previously the Kings Arms Hotel built in the 1870s. It is now a Polish night club and banqueting suite
Fishmongers and Poulterer's Almshouses. This was a long Tudor style range by William Webb built in 1849. It consisted of. 12 cottages as an Asylum for aged fishmongers and poulterers. The Fishmongers and Poulterers Institution was established in 1835 and provides pensions and assistance to people connected with the processing, wholesale and retail onshore fish and poultry trades, The almshouses at Wood Green remained until after the Second World War.
Cattle trough and drinking fountain constructed for the Metropolitan Drinking Fountain and Cattle Trough Association in 1901. It is in Portland stone with a head on a grey granite plinth
Civic Centre. This was opened in 1965 on the site of the Fishmongers and Poulterer's Almshouses as the Wood Green Civic Centre. It built by Sir John Brown, A. E. Henson & Partners who won a competition held by Wood Green Borough Council in 1938 for a different site. It originally was to include offices, council chamber public hall and a library around a courtyard but only the offices and council chamber were built. They are in reinforced concrete with a steel frame clad in brick and stone. The council chamber has a curved ceiling and a public gallery carried on two hollow columns which are the boiler flues. The furniture was removed in 1965 when the London Borough of Haringey was set up. A civil defence unit was installed in the basement, with two foot thick concrete walls to withstand nuclear attack, and includes escape tunnels.
War memorial Civic War Memorial. This is opposite the civic centre and contains 928 names. There is an ornate stone wall with six bronze plaques bearing inscription and names. This stands on curve fronted steps. The inscription says: “Greater love hath no man than this that a man lay down his life for his friends. To the undying memory of the men of Wood Green who gave their lives in the Great War 1914 - 1918 1939 – 1945. Erected by public subscription by the inhabitants of Wood Green 1920”
Crescent Gardens. Public gardens laid out on what was common land before 1894. By 1910 it was laid out with curving paths, trees, shrubs and formal bedding.
King George VI Memorial Garden. This was opened on in 1953, laid out with planting behind stone walls, seating and a circular rose bed. There is a plaque which says “Borough of Wood Green. King George VI Memorial Garden. This garden was provided by public subscription as a memorial to his late Majesty, King George VI. 1952
Printers Almshouses. The Printers’ Almshouse Society bought a site here and almshouse was built in 1856 in Tudor style by William Webb. It was round three sides of a courtyard. Designed in 1856 for 12 couples and extended in 1871 and 1891. In 1969 it moved to Southwood Court in Basildon. In the 1950s it is shown as The Lord Southwood Homes of Rest – Lord Southwood being the owner of Odhams Press.
245 Greenridings House. British Telecom North Sector Switching Centre. This is a telecommunications switching centre built with several floors below ground. It is on the site of the printers’ almshouse.
Electric substation. Large substation for London Underground.
Seat outside the substation apparently dedicated to ‘The Late Dolly Pope’.
239 Ashley House. Office block, built 1960.
Monaghan's Tavern. This is in the ground floor corner of Ashley House. It was built to replace the Three Jolly Butchers. It was initially called Jolly Butchers but then renamed The Rat and Carrot in the 1990s and then Ganleys in 1998
Three Jolly Butchers Hotel. This was on the corner of Watson’s Road and was replaced with a corner of Ashley House. It was an old former coaching and drovers’ inn dating from 1781 was given a makeover around 1900.
Jolly Butchers Hill. This is the name for the stretch of High Road between the Civic Centre and the tube station. It was previously called Clay Bush Hill.
Wood Green Bus Garage. Built as a horse tram depot by North Metropolitan Tramways as in 1895 and bought and converted in 1904 for overhead electric trams by Metropolitan Electric Tramways and then for trolleybuses in 1938. Until 1910 had was the repair works and paint shop for all the Metropolitan Tramways vehicles in the northern area. It was used for motor buses in 1961 and then has became a depot for Leaside Bus Co. Ltd. In 2004 it became a main depot for Arriva buses and their registered office.
232 Lord Nelson Pub. Small local pub
225 River Park House. Council Offices. This is an 11 floor building on the site of what was Wood Green Library
Wood Green Library. The central library was built with a donation from Andrew Carnegie in 1907 and replaced a small library in the Town Hall. It was in dark red brick with a cupola and clock. It was demolished in 1973.
Built 1901-2 on the site of North London Cycling and Athletic grounds- the residual 10 acres of Nightingale Hall northern grounds.
Muswell Stream crosses this to the north running between the railway and Bounds Green Road
New housing built at the south end on the site of railway sidings and engine shed.
The Moselle Stream crosses the road by an archway in Umola Court having run parallel to Brook Road. This section remained open until the 1890s and was an estate boundary
Government offices. Behind the Barratt offices
Granta House. Job Centre Plus designed by Dixon Del Pozzi in1983-5. It replaces parts of Barratts sweet factory
109 Cambridge House. Metropolitan Housing Trust. Offices of Barratt's sweet factory. With 'Labor et Probitas' in terracotta and clock dated 1897. Barrett’s occupied a site of over 5 acres in Wood Green and no other manufacturing confectioner in the country offered such a wide variety of sweets with 200 lines in production in 1950 —'lollipops to sherbet fountains, liquorice allsorts to brandy balls, sweet cigarettes to dolly mixtures, boiled sweets and toffees of all kinds, jelly babies and pastilles and nougat to love hearts lozenges” .In the 19th Barratts were 19th law bookbinders near the Strand, until George Osborne Barratt started a sugar confectionery business employing in Hoxton, In 1880 they moved to this site in Wood Green. Expansion was rapid with major extensions in the 1880s and 1890s and six buildings in use by 1904. Transport of goods was by horse, replaced by lorries in the 1920s. On site were stables, wheelwrights, etc.. Factory conditions remains unmechanised – for instance trays of lollies were carried up four flights of stairs by young women, and were then wrapped and brought down again. It was not until the late 1930s that the factory was modernised and made safer. In the 1960s the departments were: Pan Room, Toffee, Lozenges, Sweet Cigarettes, Fondant and Pastework, Starch, Sherbet, Boilings and Nougat. In 1966 they were taken over by Bassetts of Sheffield. In 1980 the factory closed and plant was moved to Sheffield.
Allsopp & Co., Piano factory owned by a Mr. Ivory in 1872. This was bought by Barratts and became the site of their works
Wood Green Cottage. 18th house the site of which was used for Barratts works.
105 Safestore, Self Storage building.
The Woodlands. 18th house the site of which was used for Barratts works.
Market Hall. An area which goes back into Shopping City.
83 Duke of Edinburgh, Shishka and Turkish food
Vitality Bulbs. This was a manufacturer of specialist miniature light bulbs. They were taken over in the 1960s and moved to Bury St.Edmonds. “The Sanatogen of incandescent bulbs”.
The river passes through this area almost entirely in a tunnel. This was dug by
Docwra in 1852 and allows the River to bypass Devonshire Hill to the east. Between Bounds Green and Wood Green the tube line passes 25ft below the bed of the New River
Nightingale Gardens. These were laid out on former rural open space known as Bakersfield between 1894 and 1913, linking the earlier public gardens of Avenue Gardens and Trinity Gardens. It was enlarged in 1956 and a formal rose garden created. It is named from the Nightingale Hall Estate. Wood Green Council began to create parks and open spaces from the 1990s. This is more or less rectangular bisected by a single tarmac path and surrounded by iron railings. Planting consists of scattered trees and a shrubs, mature horse chestnuts and two large conifers. The Gardens in effect create part of a pathway which follows the line of the New River in its Tunnel below.
Built 1907-8 on the site of North London Cycling and Athletic grounds- the residual
10 acres of Nightingale Hall northern grounds.
Palace Gates Station entrance to the left of the footpath to Cornwall Avenue with a
covered bridge to another entrance
Wood Green Community Seventh Day Adventist Church. This dates from the late 1950s and replaced an iron mission built for the Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Church of 1906.
Palace Gates Road
12 The Park Inn. Irish pub
Palace Gates rail line. A short stretch of overgrown formation from the Palace Gates
line lies between Palace Gates and Park Avenues. Wooden steps are said to remain in the undergrowth. The old railway used to cross Park Avenue and the abutments to the bridge remain either side of the road.
Houses. Development by local sweet makers Barratts. Terracotta date plaques show ‘1994’
New River. A short open section of the New River emerges from the yellow stock brick tunnel entrance behind the southern side of Park Avenue.
The Old Course of the New River. The old course of the New River followed the 100 ft contour and the tunnel was built to very much shorten the length of the stream. This stream joined the new course here having run roughly down the line of Station Road.
This was originally called Caxton Road and it runs parallel to what was the Palace Gates railway line
Sheltered and other housing on the site of Palace Gates Station which won an environmental award in 1987. It includes sheltered housing, and was designed by Haringey's David Hayhow as the last of the housing groups built along the redundant railway line.
Palace Gates Line. The line was built by the Great Eastern Railway and opened in 1878 at first to Noel Park and then extended to Palace Gates a few months later. It was intended to provide passenger services from Liverpool Street station to the recently opened Alexandra Palace and a developing suburban area. In 1929, a connection to Bowes Park enabled a link on the Great Northern' Hertford Loop Line. However the Great Northern's stations at Alexandra Palace and Hornsey provided a
more direct route to central London. Passenger numbers declined even further from 1932 when the new Piccadilly Line extension provided stations at Wood Green and Turnpike Lane removing much potential traffic. The line closed in 1963.
Muswell Stream –this flows in an open course between the Hertford Loop and main line tracks.
3-5 Ringslade Brethren Hall from 1928. Now housing.
Northampton works. This stood at the northern end of the road and was a Printers and type founders' engineers and machinists, printers' furnishers.
River Park Road
5 Tulip House. This has been in most recent use by the Tulip MentaL Health Group. It has otherwise been known as Stuart House and has had many past users - in 1952, for instance, it was used by a Spiritualist Church.
Interlock Metal Hose Co. This was on the north side of the road in the 1930s. The company made flexible metal tubing and appear to also have had a foundry at Ampthill in Bedfordshire.
13-27 Green Rooms Arts Hotel. This is a social enterprise hotel and restaurant in what was the Wood Green Area Housing Office who vacated it in 2009. It is a not for profit venture and will encourage new restaurateurs and artists. This was the offices of the North Metropolitan Electric Supply Company Designed in 1925 as the Head Quarters of the North Met electricity company, which powered electric trams across North London. The company became part of the Eastern Electricity Board on nationalisation of the industry in 1948. There is Art Deco original detailing and tiling, and a boardroom on the top floor. On the site of Elm Cottages
29-31 Greenwood Student House was built as council offices in the 1960s. They were on the site of a primitive Methodist Chapel of 1900 as well as a sheet metal works and the Grosvenor Engineering Works.
48 Palais De Luxe. It opened in 1912 by River Park Cinemas Ltd. the original entrance was via a terrace house on Station Road through a narrow foyer to the auditorium on River Park Road running parallel to Station Road behind terraced houses. It was modernised in 1931 to designs by Leslie H. Kemp. It was then operated by Gaywood Cinemas Ltd. By 1944 it was named Rex Cinema and in the 1950’s it was taken over by Southan Morris who were then taken over by Essoldo Theatres chain. It closed in 1964 and then became a bingo club shown as Legalise Casino Club until the mid-1970’s. It was then demolished, and replaced by Alexandra House. The site of the auditorium is their car park,
38-46 Building used by Haringey Council and the Tulip Mental Health charity. It previously a printers – probably part of Royal Sovereign Stationery Group.
48 offices. Wood Green Customer Service Centre and Homes for Haringey. Office block which once housed Haringey Council Education Department. On the site of Tudor House and Tudor Chambers
Tudor House. This was used by the Inland Revenue and had been built 1924-25. It was said to mainly consist of a converted barn’.
33 Jolly Anglers. The building is 1905. It replaces an early 19th building and the name probably reflects activity in the New River.
35 council offices on the site of Central Cinema theatre 1915. It was closed in 1934 and latterly used as a warehouse
Greenside House. This was the site of Mentmore Manufacturing which was on the corner with Bradley Road. The Platignum Pen Co. were inventors of the cartridge pen, the retractable ballpoint pen, and the felt tip. They also had works in Hackney. 1919 Platignum Pen Co started life as the Mentmore Manufacturing Company. The company's first product was a self- filling fountain pen with a gold plated nib which sold for 6d and in 1925 they invented the replacement nib unit. They were the first company to use injection moulding in the production of their pens. In the Second World War they made 'spy' pens which could contain maps and compasses or a poisoned dart which could kill at 20 ft. In 1950 they made their own version of the ballpoint pen as well as the retractable ball pen and invented ink cartridges. In 1957 they moved to Stevenage.
Mirror Laundry. This stood next to the bridge in 1930s with an address in Brabant Road
Site of the bridge for the Great Eastern Railway Palace Gates line can be seen from a dip in the road to allow double decker buses to go underneath although single deckers were normally used. There is a raised pavement alongside. The bridge was demolished in 1960
Middlesex Polytechnic Halls of Residence on the site of the removed railway line
Excelsior Dairies. Their milk bottling plant was on part of the Halls of Residence site.
They were later United Dairies – who had 80 horses in their stable here. Part of their metal gates is in the railings. Abbott Brothers Model Dairy was also earlier in Station Road.
Houses. Terraced development by Barratts. 1896 with terracotta date plaques
Caxton Gardens. A bit of what was Wood Green Common at the end of Caxton Road
140 coach house, back from the road, outbuilding of one of the demolished big
St. Paul Roman Catholic Church. This was originally a simple structure of 1882 which was replaced in 1904 by a Romanesque church. The present building dates from 1971 and is by John Rochford of Shenfield. The single storey frontage consists of narrow concrete panels with arched windows incorporating stained glass from the former church some by George Farmiloe & Sons. There is a recessed entrance flanked by a narrow tower surmounted by a cross.
New River Crossing. The mouth of the long tunnel from Myddleton Road can be seen near Alexandra Palace BR Station. By the mouth of the tunnel is a 1993 brick building which is a pumping station for the North London Artificial Recharge Scheme building.
Alexandra Palace Station. This was opened by the Great Northern Railway 1859. It now lies between Hornsey and Bowes Park. It was originally called Wood Green, being renamed to Wood Green (Alexandra Park) in 1864. Under British Rail the station reverted to Wood Green in 1971, but was renamed as Alexandra Palace in 1982. The station was enlarged in 1868 and modified in 1889, when a new platform for Enfield trains was added. In 1897it was planned, and then cancelled, for the station to be the northern terminus for the Great Northern and Strand Railway (GN&SR), which would have been a tube beneath the existing tracks. In 1975 the entire station was rebuilt leaving two island platforms and tithe buildings on the northbound island were removed in 1973/74. The station was gas lit until this rebuilding .It is however now planned to be a terminus on Crossrail. The remaining buildings on the Station Road/Buckingham Road were built by Great Northern and have been renovated. They house a refreshment kiosk and ticket machines, with a modern footbridge connection to the platforms and across the tracks to Bedford Road.
Engine Shed. On the down side was stood a small two-road engine shed, which functioned from 1866 was where an American locomotive. named Lovatt Farnes, was kept.
Called this because of Trinity Chapel. It was previously Southgate Road.
Prince of Wales pub. Built 1870 with decorative tiles by Millingdon, Wisdom and Co. with the Prince of Wales' feathers
Trinity church. Arose from Methodist open-air services from 1864. In 1869 they acquired a site on the north side of what was then Southgate Trinity Road, where Trinity chapel built in 1872. It was designed by the Revd. J. N. Johnson in grey brick with stone dressings. In 1900 three halls were opened. The church was sold to the Greek Orthodox Church in 1970
St.Mary's Cathedral. Kimisis Panayias. The Greek Orthodox Cathedral of the Dormition of the Mother of God. Built as Trinity Methodist Church 1871
Alexandra Primary School, originally Alexandra Board School buiklt with an Infant and junior school from 1894. A terracotta plaque says of 'S.T.B.W.G' and '1900-1905'. It was on the site of Woodlands House, previously a site taken over by Barratts. As a London Board School it was designed by G.E.T Lawrence, and comprises of two brick main buildings overlooking a central playground. The façade includes terracotta copings to the gables and there is a . tall central cupola and surmounted by ball finials and two storey towers with spires.
The Decorium. This was Public Baths of1911 which has since been turned into a conferece and exhibition centre . The Baths were built on the site of an 18th house called Moat Cottage and they were designed by Harold Burgess. They were heated by waste heat from the rubbish destructor.
Waste and recycling centre for Haringey
Quicksilver place.. This is on the site of the Council’s Refuse incinerator, itself on the site of Moat Place. It is a police patrol base.
Wood Green Common
Cherson House. 17th hiuse which had grounds to the New River. It was on the site of the Barratts housing and St. Paul's Church
The Grange. 17th house which had grounds to the New River. It was on the site of the Barratts housing and St. Paul's Church
The Common is a large expanse of grassed open parkland lined on the north by London Plane trees. To the south and west is a tall red brick wall that follows the New River Path. There is a play area and to the east a landscaped and planted public garden. This garden is surrounded by a Hawthorn hedgerow and cast iron railings and is lined by London plane trees. In the centre is a granite fountain, with an inscription ‘In the memory of C.W. Barratt Esq., Chairman of Barratt & Co Ltd. There is also a pergola
British History Online. Wood Green. Web site
Disused Stations. Web site
Cinema Treasures. Web site
Essex Lopresti. Exploring the New River
Field. London Place Names
Glazier. London Transport Garages
Grace's Guide. Web site
Greek Orthodox Church of St. Barnabas. Web site
Haringey Residents Association. Web site
Historic England. Web site
Imperial War Museum. Web site
London Borough of Haringay. Web site
London Railway Record
London's Industrial Archaeology
Londonist. Web site
London Metropolitan Archive. Web site
Lost Pubs Project. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. London North
Pinching and Dell. Haringey's Hidden Streams Revealed
Pinching. Discovering Old Wood Green
Pinching. Wood Green Past
St Michael's Church, Wood Green. Web site
St. Michael's Primary School. Web site
The Printing Charity. Web site
Walford. Village London
Ward. London's New River
Wikipedia. Web site. As appropriate
Wood Green Parish. Web site