Monday, 27 March 2017

Albany Park


Post to the north Blendon
Post to the east North Cray
Post to the south Foots Cray


Albany Park
Albany Park is a name purely made up by the developers of the area who used the land from two farms - Tanyard and Hurst Farms -  to build this area up. New Ideal Homesteads were the busiest housing developers – volume builders - in London in the 1930s. They had been founded in 1929 by Leo Meyer, who had been a surveyor for Erith Urban District Council..  They built large estates at low prices and this is not an upmarket suburb, Building here was at double the density recommended by the local council and the advertised pretty countryside disappeared under it..

Bexley Lane
Cleeve Park School. This was formed in 1986 by merging  Parklands School for Boys and Sidcup School for Girls. The new school moved to the site of Parklands School which dates from the 1950s. The building has been extended over the years with a new wing added in 1990 and a further section in 1995.  In 2012 the school became an ‘academy’ and joined The Kemnal Academies Trust.

Footscray Lane
Sidcup Cemetery. This  opened in 1912. The railway runs alongside in a deep cutting to the south. There is no chapel but there is a  lodge decorated with burnt brick fragments. The planting is not profuse but includes Cedars and Araucaria as well as yew, and a hawthorn walk.
Rutland Shaw. Small wood

Maylands Drive
St.Andrew. In 1944, the vicar of All Saints in Footscray started holding communion services in a room over shops and by 1946 a hall in Wren Road was being used officially for St Andrew’s congregation. Eventually plans were approved to build a church and services were held on the empty site before the building work started. The resulting building is  octagonal with the church occupying the roof. It was built on a slope in 1964 and the parish hall is under the church . The entrance is along a glazed bridge. It was by Braddock, Martin-Smith & Lipley.

St.Andrews Road
North Cray Woods.  This old coppice once belonged to the Prior of St Mary Overy at Southwark but the wood is now much smaller because of local housing built post Second World War. It is a mixed woodland dominated by oak with an understorey of sweet chestnut and hazel.

Steyton Avenue
The station stands in a small area of local shops and the pub.
The Albany Hotel. Pub in Brewer’s Tudor built by the developer with the estate.
Albany Park Station.  Opened in 1935. It lies between Sidcup and Bexley on South Eastern Trains.  It is on the Dartford Loop which had been built by the South Eastern Railway in 1866. In 1926 the line was electrified and the area had been developed by New Ideal Homesteads. New Ideal Homesteads donated the land and paid the Southern Railway to build the station. The name Albany Park was made up by the developer who also considered calling it Claremont Park.  The station was and is purely functional . The original brick building is in ‘modern’ style and there is another entrance from Longmead Drive. The building is single storied with a raised central area to form the booking hall. The station building is at street level with steps down to the platforms as the line is in a cutting, The original platform canopies have survived.  There never was a goods yard but there was a very small single storey signal box at the Dartford end of the up platform which closed in 1970..

Sources
Barr-Hamilton & Reilly. From Country to Suburb, Bexley
Cleeve Park School. Web site
London Borough of Bexley. Web site
Parks and Gardens UK. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. South London, 
Pevsner. West Kent 
Spurgeon. Discover Bexley and Sidcup
St. Andrew’s Church. Web site

Addlestone

Post to the west Addlestone



Alexandra Road
Perfect Detail – family firm established in the 1950s for Car Detailing Products.
Bridge over the Bourne

Bois Hall Road
This is part of the Bois Hall Estate
Bois Hall. This ‘big’ house appears to have been built in the 1880s or early 1890s. It had ten bedrooms, and an associated small farm. It appears to have been demolished around 1936 and the current estate of houses built on the site.

Bourneside Road
This road runs from near the Bourne to the banks of the Mill Pond and eventually to Coxes Lock Mill (which is in the square to the east)

Brighton Road
A318. A short stretch of main road running parallel to the M25
Duke’s Head Pub. This was built at the new crossroads at what is now Station Road and Brighton Road after enclosure of Chertsey Beomonds manor. It was built in 1815 by John Drewett, Inn keeper of Chertsey and named for the Duke of York – the first licensee had been a groom to Frederick, Duke of York.  It included a billiard room which opened onto a bowling green.   It became the main residential hotel in the town. It has now been demolished and replaced by flats.

Crouch Oak Lane
This road was once  longer and extended to join Chertsey Road.
The Crouch Oak. This is one of Britain's oldest trees and may have been an indication of the Windsor Forest boundarys. It is a  gnarled and hollow tree more than 24 ft round, to which various ages have been given. It was once called Wycliffe's Oak - after the medieval scholar reputed to have preached here – and Spurgeon preached here in 1872.  Analysis of a branch indicated a formation date for the branch as 1670. It is said that the bark boiled down was a love potion.
Millennium Oak. In 2000 a young oak was planted near the Crouch Oak.
Princess Mary’s Village  Homes for Little Girls. These  were on the east side of the road. Only the iron gates cast by Herring & Son of Chertsey are left as a reminder of this "refuge for daughters of convict mothers, girls from destitute families or otherwise in need of protection".  It was named after Queen Mary's mother, the Duchess of Teck. It was founded  by two philanthropists - Susanna Meredith and Caroline Cavendish, They were first concerned with the welfare of female prisoners, but decided to offer care for the children of prisoners. These were some of the first cottage homes to be set up- a small village of cottages each looked after by a house mother.  There were at first six cottages and later a schoolhouse, the Shaftesbury Wing, the infants' schoolroom, an infirmary, a chapel and staff accommodation. Training was provided for girls being sent out into service and they also worked in the laundry. There was also a holiday home for girls who wanted to return after they had left. It was initially an industrial school but in 1933, became an approved school. It  closed in 1980.
Baptist Church. The first Baptist church was built here in 1840 to replace an earlier one in Prairie Road from 1812. This building dates from 1872 with a foundation stone laid by Spurgeon.


Corrie Road
Old Fire station. Red brick building with a plaque dated to 1890. It was apparently for Surrey Fire Brigade and said to be open until 1962. It is said to have had a chimney and a bell tower but these are not now apparent, and it is in office use..
Trading estate – there is a small trading estate behind the Old Fire Station building.
BRIMIC Engineering., This is a father and son team, established in 1973 undertaking a range of metal fabrications, largely architectural ironwork.
P & J Metal Works. Sheet metal contractors.

Dashwood Lang Road
Dashwood Lang. Arthur Dashwood Lang developed propellers which were made locally in Weybridge.
Bourne Business Park. New trading area on site of earlier industry. There are new large buildings on site plus parking landscaping. This includes Ocean House.
Addlestone Linoleum Company. They made linoleum of various sorts but seem to be mainly famous for the legal precedents engendered when they closed.
Sunbury Leather Company. They used buildings erected by the Addlestone Linoleum Company in the late 1870s.  In 1904, they made fancy leather goods and are listed as ‘manufacturers of hides, Moroccos, roans, pigskins, skivers etc’. They closed in 1946. They may have made parts for Vickers during the Second World War.
Darts factory – described as a shed that had mass-produced darts for the N.A.A.F.I.
Taylor and Penton, This is a subsidiary of the John Lewis Partnership. They took over the site in 1946 and began to make bedding; one man and two boys were employed in making wooden divan frames. This expanded to other sites and specially designed modern workshops were erected making Jonelle furniture for John Lewis, in the 1960s more factories were built which were part of the complex of works erected by Taylor and Penton for John Lewis Partnership making Jonelle furniture.


Garfield Road
Addlestone Community Centre. The Addlestone Community Association was formed in 1948 and the Community Centre in Station Road was opened in 1968, it was replaced by the current Centre in Garfield Road in 2005.
Police Divisional HQ by the County Architects. This has now been demolished and replaced with housing.
Darley Dene Primary Schools . This was a County School opened in 1966. It was an infant school but has recently become a primary school. There is a nursery class, a reception class and an infant Specialist Centre for children with speech and communication difficulties.
Darley Dene Court. Care home, built 1987
Darley Dene House. The house was on site before the school
Surrey Towers. Built 1962-8 for Chertsey Urban District Council. 17 stories, likely to be demolished.


New Haw Road
Crockford Bridge. This bridge crosses The Bourne, and was renewed in 1925 by Surrey County Council.. This involved demolition of the older bridge and straightening the approaches. The current bridge is in reinforced concrete with brick facing and brick parapet walls.
Crockford Bridge Farm. the farm includes 400-year-old buildings and the Granary. A 17th Dutch gable here was demolished during the Second World War II.  There is an 18th granary in red brick. Until 1900 it was known as Pyle's Farm.  Big farm shop and garden centre now on site.
86 Black Horse. This pub closed in 2015.


Station Road
21 Churchill House. This now stands on the site of The Railway Arms pub which opened in the 1850's , It was locally called The Magnet  by 1870. the pub sign was a horseshoe shaped magnet which was replaced by a picture of Billy Bunter from The Magnet comic. In the 1990's the name changed to The Station House, with a sign which showed a steam train. This closed and the building was demolished. The site is now flats.
54 Railway Inn Pub. This has now been demolished..
63 Pandrol. This is the head office of the multi-national dealing with railway track systems.
111 Woburn Park Hotel. This pub was demolished in 1993 and replaced by flats.
The Eileen Tozer Day Centre. For older people.
138 Crouch Oak pub. This is actually a hotel with bedrooms and restaurant.
Village Hall. This was built in 1887 by the Village Hall Company. Films were shown here from 1910. It closed in 1918.
Plaza Cinema. This opened as the  Cinema Royal in 191 7 apparently on the site of the Village Hall. In the mid-1920’s it was re-named Arcadia Cinema. Later, doperated by Southern Cinemas Ltd. it was re-named Plaza in 1933. It closed in the mid-1950s.
Addlestone Methodists Church. The current church was opened in 1899 by Rev C H Keely, and replaced one built in 1885 in Simplemarsh Road.By 1906 a corrugated iron building was built for the Sunday School but which remained as the Church Hall until 1982. In the early 1970s the pipe organ was removed and replaced by an electronic one amd other internal arrangements were changed.
Rose Coffee Tavern. This dated from around  1882 and was also called Addlestone Coffee Tavern and the Temperance Hotel.
Gleeson Mews. This is the site of the Addlestone Bus Station. In 1930, London Transport Green Line coaches had parked at Weymann's coachworks in and in 1932 moved to a shed in Hamm Lane. Addlestone was the centre of a number of routes which had been taken over from the Woking and District Co, in 1931  A new Country Bus garage was erected in 1936 to ~Wallis Gilbert designs with single storey office blocks on each side of the road to the running shed which was set back from the road. Facing the road the wall had a curved and glazed elevation surmounted by the bullseye motif on poles above them, . The shed could house 43 vehicles. The garage operated until 1997. The Cobham Bus Museum collected the LONDON COUNTRY lettering from the side of the building. Part of the boundary wall by the Crouch Oak Pub car park.
Civic Centre. The offices of what was then Chertsey Council were built in 1962. The back part was on stilts and there was a landscaped garden. This has been replaced with a building which combunbes a range of services under one roof - the local council, police and a public library.
Community Centre 1967. This has now been replaced by the centre in Garfield Street
Tesco – the site was previously used by the Co-op. A large bakery shown to the rear may perhaps have been theirs.l
Level Crossing, Public Highway Manned Barriers CCTV Monitored
Addlestone Station. This was built in 1848 and lies between Weybridge and also Byfleet and New Haw and Chertsey on South Western Trains. There was once a number of sidings on the down side with cattle pens, coal yards and so on


The Bourne
Also called Windle Brook and Hale Bourne. It partly defines the area in which Woking lies.  It runs north south through this area to the east of the main part of the town.

Sources
Addlestone Community Association. Web site.
Addlestone Historical Society. Web site
Chertsey Museum. Web site
Cinema Treasures. Web site
Crouch Oak Pub. Web site
Exploring Surrey’s Past. Web site.
Glazier. London Transport Garages
Orphanages, Web site
Pandrol. Web site
Parker. North Surrey 
Penguin. Surrey 
Perfect Detail. Web site
Pevsner. Surrey
Pub History. Web site
Runneymede Council. Web site
SABRE. Web site
Surrey’s Industrial Archaeology
The Addlestonian.

Sunday, 26 March 2017

Addington Interchange



Post to the north Addington



Addington Village Road
War Memorial.  This is at the junction with Lodge Lane and is a square base surmounted tapering plinth, shaft and silver grey granite cross crusader’s sword on the face of the cross. The inscription says: Lest we forget. In memory of the men from Addington who fought in the Great War 1914 – 1918.  117 served: the 22 names are here recorded gave their lives for King and Country. It was unveiled in 1922. In  1990 the Memorial was moved a short distance to enable road widening
Addington Village Police Station.

Dunley Drive
Scout Hut
Church of the Good Shepherd. Roman Catholic. In 1945 Father Howley began he started celebrating Mass at the back of the New Addington Community Centre.  In 1950 he arranged for a Mission led by the Redemptorist Father Eugene. By 1955 Mass was said in a school hall. Father Nevin and the parishioners helped to build the church, and the first Mass was on Christmas Day 1960.  The Church of the Good Shepherd was dedicated in 1962.

Field Way
Applegarth Infants School. This is now part of “Applegarth Academy”
The Timebridge Centre. Youth and Community Centre

Kent Gate
This is part of the A2022 which goes around the south of London from West Wickham to Epsom. Kent Gate is where Bromley and Croydon – Kent and Surrey – meet. It dates from the 1970s.

Lodge Lane
Addington Interchange. This is also known as Addington Village tram stop but also serves a bus station with 8 bus routes, including tramlink feeder routes
197-199 Addington Fire Station, London Fire Brigade. This was built in 1960

Rowdown Fields
In 1936 Croydon Corporation bought this land for public open space while a new village grew up around it. It was known as Kent Fields because they were adjacent to the Kent border/  Rowdown Fields were developed as a public open space because of the Fieldway Estate. Ground, fronting Lodge Lane is laid out for football with a pavilion and car park beside the road.

Sources
Church of the Good Shepherd. Web site
Fire Stations. Web site
Imperial War Museum. Web site
London Borough of Croydon. Web site
SABRE. Web site
Tramlink. Web site
Wikipedia. Addington Interchange. Web site

Acton Town - Gunnersbury Park

Avenue Crescent
Part of estate laid out by William Willatt in the 1880s.
11 Blue plaque to 19th lawyer, Richard White, co-founder of the Law Society, and creator of the Mill Hill Park estate. The house is the east wing of White’s Mill Hill House.
Mill Hill or Acton Hill House. Richard White bought part of the Lethieullier estate in 1809 and built Mill Hill House. His widow in 1859 sold the estate to the British Land Co, for building. The house remained as a private home until 1885.  Most of the house was pulled down, but the east wing remains

Avenue Gardens
Part of estate laid out by William Willatt in the 1880s said to be “Too near the piggeries for much success”.
Bronze Age crematorium.  This was found in 1883 while excavation work was done for the foundations of houses. Cinerary urns are now in the British Museum. Later there were finds of Roman material.


Bollo Bridge Road
South Acton Methodist Chapel. This was the United Methodist Free church built before 1880. Initially this was an iron church and a new church was built alongside in brick.  It was demolished after 1955.
157 Acton Model Laundry. Present in the 1930s ‘soft water and best soap only’.
Elite Laundry. Dating from the 1890s with frontages in both Osborne and Bollo Bridge roads.
170 The Anchor Pub. Dated from the 1870s. Now demolished.
204 Victory Pub. This dated from the 1870s. Now demolished.

Bollo Lane,
Bollo Lane is along the line of Bollo Brook. The Brook rises near Ealing Common tube station and follows the District Line to Acton Town Station and from there follows Bollo Lane. The Brook, and thus the Lane, marks the boundary between the boroughs of Ealing & Hounslow.
Railway- Bollo Lane runs parallel with the District and Piccadilly Lines for about half a mile,
229 Royal Mail Acton Delivery Office. Large square building with a chimney. Looks 1960s
Frank Pick House. This  is a very large bright blue building now in use by Tube Lines. It is named after Frank Pick, the London Passenger Transport Board's chief executive and is used by engineering and scientific departments for London Underground. Also Escalator services and Mechanical Services
130 Acton Works.  In 1921 a central overhaul work was opened on a site south of Acton Town Station and later the overhaul of all London Underground’s fleet was undertaken here. It became the central overhaul and engineering works for the London Underground. Experimental work was also done here and test trains were run on adjacent Piccadilly Line tracks.  In the Second World War tanks and other vehicles were prepared for landings in the invasion of Europe. In 2002 the engineering works were sold off to TubeLines.
Acton Works - Canteen from 1921,  now used as offices and originally featured a plaque of a pie and knife and fork by Eric Aumonier
Acton Works Office block - a brick modern movement office block by Holden built in 1932. Signal House is the Main Office Block which was used by the  Chief Mechanical Engineer (Rail) until 1994; and then the Signalling & Engineering Contractors 1995-to the  present. It was empty from late 1994 to early 1995 when it became known as Signal House and a refreshment/mess area was created in it soon after.  
Acton Works Railway Engineering Workshop and loading bay opened 1988 as the Engineering Overhaul Workshop built on the site of a previous Overhauls Workshop, the Lifting Shop and Trimming Shop all dating  from 1921. The Signal Overhaul Shop amalgamated with it in 1993 to become, the Railway Engineering Workshop. Flammable Material Store – this opened in 1921 and remains.
Acton Works. Other buildings dating from  1921 include the Motor Shop and Secure Vending Store which became the Motor Shop and  Taping Room in 1987 and the Signal Training School since 1999;  the Emergency & Custody Stores which has been the Experimental & Plant Shop since 1946 and the Plant Store since 1987; the Seat Trim Shop which has been a Store since 1946; the Emergency Response Unit and Seat Trim Shop was the Reconstruction Shop in the 1940's and  Experimental & Plant Shops in 1987;  the Nursery (Vegetation Control Section) ; the Ex Truck Shop Workshop & Store and Train Modification Unit which was the Wheel, Truck Smith Shops; Carbody Shops A&B; Paint Shop in 1987; the Spaceway Building, Plant Technical Office ; the Ex-Wood Store, barn & Vending Store which was the Timber & Pattern Stores in 1987; the Ex-Heavy Repair Shop which was the Heavy Repair Shop & Woodmill in 1987; the Signal & Electrical Main Training Building; London Underground Ltd Facilities Furniture Store  which was the Toolroom,Machine Shop & Escalator Chain overhaul area in 1987 and then the Signals & Engineering Training from 1993 until 1999;. 1921 buildings also include Old Office Block, Prestco Building - S&E Work Training, Ex-Boiler House, Ex- Surgery & Oil Store, Distribution Services Manager, Quality Hut, Clothing Unit, Rolling Stock Maintenance, Training Hut -Greenwich Building,  Stonecraft Building, Electronic Development, Inspector's Cabins, Railway Engineering, Workshop Oil Store,Garages. Later buildings include the 1960s Signal & Electrical Safety Training Centre which has been the Electronics Shop since 1987 and the original Apprentice Training Centre, dating from 1958
270 Bollo House which is the Piccadilly Line West End Operating Centre opened in 1996. It is partly on the site of the Signal Engineering  Offices built in 1965 and closed because of presence of asbestos.
Branch line to South Acton. The branch crossed over the lane in an easterly direction by the entrance to the old London Transport Acton Works, on a girder bridge. This collapsed during demolition in 1946.  The abutments of the bridge are apparently still there on the west side of the road. This was the District Railway’s South Acton Branch which in originated in 1878 and was built in 1898 from Bollo Lane Junction to South Acton Station. It appears to have been used for coal and building materials  but a passenger service started in 1905. Originally single track it was doubled in 1905 and provided with a signal box – from which tickets were later sold. Freight traffic ceased in 1914 and the passenger service became a shuttle . By 1932 it was back to a single track and the signal box was demolished in 1934. It was said that the staff could start to make a cup of tea leaving South Acton, and drink finish it when they returned. It closed in 1959.
Level Crossing of the Public Highway with Manned Barriers and CCTV Monitored

Boddington Gardens
Previously called Gunnersbury Gardens
Liverpool Victoria Sports Ground . This sports ground which once belonged to the insurance company  has a full 11 a side astroturf pitch. This was locked up for several years by Taylor Wimpey  but was recently reopened back up to the public. A number of clubs use the site including Old Actonians and some youth teams
Pavilion. Recent new pavilion with extensive changing facilities together wth a social room and kitchen and for the Old Actonians Sports Club.

Castle Road
South Acton Children’s Centre
Berrymead Infant School

Colville Road
The road is entirely industrial units but up until the 1980s it was residential.
Berendsen. This was previously The Davis Group and is a a European textile service business. Sophus Berendsen had textile service operations in Scandinavia, The Netherlands, Germany and Poland. These were combined with the UK Sunlight and Spring Grove brands.
Stoneworks. Bespoke natural stone contractor
18 Pai Skincare – they make skin care products and were started by Sarah who understands sensitive skin.
Boss Printers. Described as Printsmiths – doing brochures, etc
18 Cumberland and King. Regent joinery works
Chris James. Colour filter works. Specialising in colour correction
Rivermeade Signs. A works founded in the 1980s with another factory in Newcastle. They make high quality sign products with a range of digital signs
PJ print. Greeting card printer founded in the 1980s
The Sofa and Chair Company. Furniture manufacturers
Brunner Machine Tools. Supply Swiss and German machine tools.
Film and Photo Ltd. One-Stop Laboratory'for motion picture film printing and processing services
Mcdonald Roofing Centre. Roofing contractors founded in 1973

Enfield Road
Albion Works, Townend & Co. Laundry Engineers in 1913. Colour Sprayers in 1919. The works is on the corner with Bollo Lane and later known as Enfield Works
Direct Mineral Water Supply, 1920s
Henderson Engineering. 1959

Greenock Road
3 Paragon Business Solutions. They date from the early 1990s and sell proprietary in-house scorecard development tools
6 Bell Percussion, musical instrument hire company
6 Bell West Studios – studio space for hire
Durable House. Construction Company
Trust Towers. Studios
7 Treats. Snack/sandwich bar chain in London established in 197

Gunnersbury Avenue
This is a stretch of the North Circular Road, the A406. Originally this was part of the North Orbital road of 1922, A405  now changed to be part of the Noh Circular

Gunnersbury Lane
Acton Hospital. In 1897 an Appeal was launched to establish a hospital in Acton to mark Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee. John Passmore Edwards, the philanthropists  promised money if to someone gave the land – and this was given by the Rothschilds.The Passmore Edward Cottage Hospital opened in 1898 by Mrs Creighton, first President of the National Union of Women Workers, plus her husband, the Bishop of London. The Hospital was supported by voluntary subscriptions and donations and local GPs gave their services free.There were also two Queen's Nurses who provided care for patients in their homes, and an Invalid Kitchen which would deliver to out patients. Later there was an outpatients, a Committee Room and a telephone line to the doctors – and in 1909 and operating theatre and children’s ward. In 1915 it was renamed Acton Hospital and the Committee Room became a ward for servicemen. After the Great War an appeal raised money for a War Memorial wing, opened in 1923. It was renamed the Acton War Memorial Hospital and continued to expand. In the Second World War it became part of the Emergency Medical Scheme and a Decontamination Unut was built which later became the Casualty Department. It joined the NHS in 1948. In 1979, it became a geriatric hospital and the operating theatre was converted into a Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy Department. In 1980 the Casualty Department became the Gunnersbury Unit, for the elderly mentally ill. The Hospital finally closed in 2001. The central building is  a multi-faith centre, with signage and the foundation stone still in place. The rest has been replaced by the Acton Care Centre, which in 2003 for care of the elderly. A Passmore Edwards Memorial Garden was created in 2011 where stonework from the War Memorial Wing is preserved
61 Mill Hill Hotel. Also called Mill Hill Tavern. This pub was closed in 2013. It dated from at least the mid-1860s
Acton High School. The school first opened as Acton County School in 1906 in Woodlands Park. The school was rebuilt in 1939, presumably in Gunnersbury Lane  In the 1940s 80 girls were admitted, it later became a comprehensive school and was named Reynolds High School. Falling rolls led to closure in 1984 and a merger with Faraday High School to reopen as Acton High School. The current building opened in 2006, and Sixth Form buildings in 2012.
Reynolds Sports Centre. This sports centre is part of the school site and open to the public after school hours.
Heathfield Gardens Open Space. This area which as a public park is now included in the school site in front of the sports centre
Heathfield Lodge. Built around 1800 and later owned by the Rothschilds.
123 London Underground Apprentice Training Centre  which opened in 1975 . By the 1990's that had become the Engineering Training Centre; and Safety & Engineering Training Centre. Piccadilly line trains were kept here until 1964. At the same time, the District line ceased stabling at Northfields. There is a separate yard to the north-east corner of the depot which is now used by the London Transport Museum Depot.
Bollo Bridge. The bridge itself would have been to the immediate north of the station and can be seen on 19th maps with a series of fish ponds along the line of the brook on both sides of Bollo Bridge Road.
Railway Automatic Electric Light works . Present in the 1890s on the corner with Bollo Lane
Acton Town Station. This opened in 1879 and lies between Turnham Green and South Ealing Stations  and also Ealing Common Station on the Piccadilly Line. It is also between Chiswick Park and Ealing Common Stations on the District Line. It was built by the Hounslow and  Metropolitan District Railway and originally called ‘Mill Hill Park’.  Like other stations on this line it was in grey stock brick by J.Wolfe Barry . There was also a stationmaster’s house. In 1910 the name was changed to ‘Acton Town’ and the station was rebuilt  by H.W.Ford with a building over the line and shops either side of the e entrance.  In the 1930s the station was rebuilt again, this time by Heaps working with Charles Holden in a modern style using brick, reinforced concrete and glass. Reinforced concrete platform canopies replaced the original timber.  The entrance hall was lined with quarry tiles and gangways designed to separate passengers who were entering or leaving. However the old branch platform and stairways remain.
Gunnersbury Lodge. This was originally a farm from the 18th which became a gentleman’s house with some illustrious residents. 19th maps show a  lake adjacent to the hosue with a boat house. More ponds are shown to the north
The Old Manor House

Gunnersbury Park
Gunnersbury Park. (this square covers only a portion of the park in its north east corner)  The name comes from Gunylda, the niece of King Canute who lived there until 1044. The manor was later owned by the Bishop of London and occupied by a series of prominent family, many state legal officers. Sir John Maynard built a Palladian mansion here in the mid 17th. The park became an 18th formal garden, altered mid 18th with some involvement from William Kent.  In 1760 George II’s daughter Amelia bought Gunnersbury House as a country summer retreat. She landscaped the park in the 18th landscape style. After her death the estate passed through a number of owners until 1801 when  John Morley, a manufacturer of floor coverings, demolish the old house and sold the land off as thirteen separate plots for development. Twelve plots were bought by Alexander Copland who built the Large Mansion, with its grounds, as Gunnersbury Park. One plot was sold separately and the Small Mansion was built nearby Stephen Cossor and it was known as Gunnersbury House. In 1835 Nathan Mayer Rothschild purchased the Large Mansion and park. The Small Mansion and its grounds were also acquired in 1889 by the Leopold Rothschild. In 1925, following Leopold’s death, the estate was sold to Brentford. Ealing and Acton Councils and was opened as a park..
The Large Mansion. This was built as a  country house 1801-28 built for Alexander Copland and remodelled in 1836 by Sydney Smirke for Nathan Rothschild. The building houses the local history museum for the boroughs of Hounslow and Ealing. Repairs were carried out in 2012 and the building is now weathertight.. The Museum is temporarily closed in 2017. It opened in 1929 and uses the grand staterooms for displays.
The Small Mansion.  This was there around 1806-9. It is a long, rectangular building in the neo-classical style, with a ow of cast iron bells decorating the South front. In 1899 it was bought by Leopold de Rothschild, who knocked down the dividing wall – although a line of trees still marks the division.. The Rothschilds then used the Small Mansion as spare rooms for their guests, including Edward Vll. It has been used as an art gallery and is now under consideration for renovation as a private school.
East Lodge. Entrance lodge built 1837. All that remains are small sections of south west elevations but these have been stabilized. It was built by William Fuller Pocock for Thomas Farmer in 1837 for the Small Mansion after the estate was divided.
Archway to East Entrance. This is a stucco pedimented archway built around 1837.  In disrepair
Princess Amelia's Bath House. This is part of an early 19th arcade with other late 18th gothic outbuildings. It has four arches and a battlemented top. The outbuildings include a grotto shelter, and a room known as Princess Amelia's Bath House - - or is it a diary, or a cottage or a chapel.  This is at the east end of the small mansion. There are is imitation rock surfaces and a semi-octagonal shelter with a central doorway and side windows. It was damaged by a Second World War fire.
Stables built by Rothschild. 19th stables  possibly incorporating earlier structure. Over the centre parapet are the carved Portland stone Rothschild arms. There are East and West blocks.
Horseshoe Pond.  A depression in the lawn marks the site of the pond. This was directly below the original mansion. When the estate was divided the lake was split in two but was remained in water until the late 20th when it dried out. At what was the east end is a brick sham bridge, and at what was the west end is a 20th rock garden.
Orangery. Architect: Sydney Smirke, 1836.  This was built to overlook the Horseshoe Pond. It is glazed with a central semicircular bay.
Gothic ruins.  These the brick-built ruins were made for the Rothschild family in the mid 19th.
Boundary wall along Gunnersbury Lane. This is listed.
Garden screen. Erected by Thomas Farmer with with niches and drain pipes to hide Rothschild's stables
Lampposts. Six lamp standards for 19th gas lamps. These are on the curving approach road to the mansions from the West Lodge (the lodge is in the square to the west).
Japanese Garden. This was created in 1901 designed by James Hudson, gardener to Leopold Rothschild after Japanese models
Archway. This is 18th and south west of the house near the terrace. .It is made from cement-rendered brickwork

Hanbury Road
7 Bollo Bridge Tavern. Dating from the 1890s this has since been demolished.  In the 1940s it was a house for the ‘Pioneer Catering Co.’ which was a subsidiary of Ind Coope.

Museum Way
This private road goes to what is now the London Transport Museum Depot.
118-120 London Transport Museum. . This is the reserve collection of historic rail and road vehicles. It opened in 1999 and has the majority of collections which are not on display in the main museum in Covent Garden and for items too large to be accommodated there.
Acton Miniature Railway. 
Site of miniature rifle range

Osborne Road
Oak Tree Community Centre, Catering for a wide range of organisations
Berrymede Schools. Berrymede school is on a number of sites in the immediate vicinity. The Junior School is in a building which has been here since the early 1900s; South Acton School was the first school to be opened by Acton School Board in 1880 on the south side Osborne Road. The original building was enlarged in 1897 and 1898 and after 1905 it was renamed South Acton Girls and Infants. On the north side of the road South Acton School opened in 1904  taking pupils and staff from All Saints' School. A manual centre stood in the grounds. The schools were reorganised in 1931 as Berrymede Junior School and later Berrymede Junior Boys and later amalgamated with Berrymede Junior Girls. Berrymede Middle School opened here in 1931 in the upper floor of the building. In 1961 they became part of Berrymede Junior Mixed and as the Middle School occupied both buildings in Osborne Road from 1974.
83 Crown Pub. This later became the Osborne Hotel, and a B&B. It dated from the 1890s.
30 George Forrest and Son, Ltd., electrical engineers and contractors; 1950s
Mission church from All Saints. 1890s

Roslin Road
This road was residential until the 1960s, it is now trading and light industrial units
Learning Curve. This is (or was) a centre for disabled people teaching essential skills, from maths to cooking, five days a week and provides paid work experience. It dates from the 1980s,
Blissets. Bookbinding firm and Royal Warrant holders/ printers. The company was established in 1920 by Frederick Blissett and now run by his son and grandson. They are the largest specialist bookbinder in the south of England.

Stirling Road
This road was residential until the 1960s, it is now trading and light industrial units
Stirling Road Centre. This provides activities, training and a meeting place for those with severe learning disabilities.  It dates from the 1980s.
Mayfair Laundry. The company moved there in 1970s. It has since been dissolved
London Fan Company. This is owned by the Webber family and was set up in 1928. They made industrial propeller fans and electric motors as ‘Breeza Fans’ and were based in central London. In the Second World War the company made hand-driven ventilators for tanks and air-raid shelters but were bombed out in 1943. The machines were dug out of the rubble and moved in order to maintain production for the Air Ministry. They moved to Stirling Road in 1965. They then made a wide range of ventilating equipment and industrial fans and the name changed to The London Fan Company Ltd. The company is now managed by the grandson of the original Mr. Webber.
N & P Thermo Plastic Moulders. This firm dates from the 1980s and have a wide range of modern micro-processor controlled Injection Moulding Machines specialising in domestic appliances, lighting and motor industry,
The Stone and Ceramic Warehouse. This dates from the 1960s as an importer, distributor and retailer of sophisticated natural and ceramic wall and floor coverings. They once sold 40% stone and 60% porcelain, now it's 20% stone, 75% porcelain and 5% mosaics.
Acton Waste and Recycling Centre. This is operated by Ealing Council.
Creative Staging. Rental company for audio visual equipment.
Science Projects. A non-profit organisation bringing science to the public

Triangle Way
A roadway round the back of suburban houses enclosing a tennis club - Gunnersbury Triangle Club. Baron Rothschild owned, and occupied Gunnersbury Park until 1926 when passed to a Joint Committee of the Acton, Brentford and Chiswick and Ealing Borough Councils. At the same time Baron Rothschild also sold George Cooper, to a builder an area of land adjoining the Park.  Cooper built 400 houses here. The shape of this land was triangular and the houses estate followed. This left a piece of land at the centre which Mr Cooper gave to the residents of the estate for leisure purposes. So in 1928 the Club was set up.
Gunnersbury Triangle Club 

Sources
Acton High School Web site
Barker and Robbins. A History of London Transport
Barton. Lost Rivers of London
Bell Percussion. Web site
Berendsen. Web site
Berrymede Schools. Web site.
Boss Printers. Web site
British History Online. Acton. Web site.
Brunner Machine Tools. Web site.
Chris James. Web site
Clunn. The Face of London
Day. London Underground
Diamond Geezer. Blog
Ealing Hammersmith and West London College. Web site
Film and Photo Ltd. Web site
Gunnersbury Lodge. The lost house of west London. Web site
Gunnersbury Triangle Club. Web site
Harper Smith. Soapsud Island 
Historic England. Web site
Horne. The Piccadilly tube
Howson. London Underground
Jackson. London’s Local Railways
Kingston Zodiac 
Knights. History of Electricity in Acton 
London Borough of Ealing. Web site
London Borough of Hounslow. Web site
London Encyclopedia
London Fan Company. Web site
Lost Pubs Project. Web site
London Railway Record
Lost Hospitals of London. Web site
Mcdonald Roofing Centre. Web site
Middlesex Parish Churches
N & P. Moulders. Web site
Oates. Acton in History
Paragon Business Solutions. Web site
Pai Skincare. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. North West London
PJ Print. Web site
Pub History. Web site
Rivermeade Signs. Web site
SABRE. Web site
Stevenson. Middlesex
Stoneworks. Web site
The Sofa and Chair Company. Web site
The Stone and Ceramic Warehouse. Web site
Transport for London. Web site
Walford. Village London
Wheatley and Meulenkamp. Follies
Wikipedia.Web site. As appropriate

Tuesday, 21 March 2017

Acton Main Line, North Acton


Post to the south Acton Centrall



Acorn Gardens
Built by Acton District Council in 1932 on what was known as the Friars Estate. ACOrn was the name of the Acton Telephone Exchange

Allison Road
Laid out by the Birkbeck Land Society
Rear entrance to property in Emmanuel Road with urns and lions

Canada Crescent
Built by Acton District Council in 1932

Cloister Road
Cloister Road Clinic. This was built in 1935 and was later the Gunnersbury Day Hospital, a mental health facility. It was replaced by the Cloister Road Surgery which was built in 2006 and designed for Ealing Primary Care Trust by Penoyre & Prasad LL.

Cotton Avenue
The present housing on the site appears to be relatively recent and to replace a depot on part of the site.  A previous version of Cotton Avenue ran from Western Avenue (originally Friars Place Lane) and to continue parallel to the railway. Along this road and one side road were a number of small isolated units – maybe prefabs, or some sort of huts.
Road Transport Depot. This is shown as preceding the current housing and to have fronted and entered on Western Avenue/Friars Place Lane.  It appears to date from the 1930s and to have been a large dark featureless building.  It was preceded on the site by sports grounds.

Friars Place Green
This small triangular green is the remains of Friars Place Waste and is now registered common land.

Friary Road
Friars Place. This house stood south of both Friars Place Farm and The Friars and was south of the Great Western Railway line. It had a number of owners and appears to have dated from the 18th when this area was a visitor destination.. In 1850 the house was described as a beautiful with a balustraded terrace looking south over pleasure grounds. It was demolished in 1902.
Walls Ice Cream. T. Wall and Son of Aldgate who as early as 1913  considered manufacturing ice cream during the seasonal summer downturn in sales of meat pies and sausages. By 1922 they were a subsidiary of Macfisheries itself part of Lever Brothers. They bought the site of Friars Place house and grounds in 1919 and built a factory there to make sausages, pies, and brawn. From 1956 the Friary factory concentrated on ice cream, the meat business moving to Atlas Road. Walls were by then the biggest ice cream maker in the world. The factory closed in the late 1980s
Friary Park Estate was built on the Walls site in the late 1980s. It had 240 social housing units in a mix of bedsits, one bed and larger units. They have been managed by the Ealing Family Housing Association, later called Catalyst. In 2014 Catalyst decided to demolish and replace some units with tower blocks.
Harry’s Bar – eccentric corner cafe, with some outdoor seating. Harry’s Café is about proper ‘man food’   Everything fried, no grease spared?

Horn Lane
The section of the road north of the station is marked as “Willesden Lane” before 1900.
Acton Main Line Station. This was opened in 1868 and now lies between Ealing Broadway and Paddington on Great Western Railway by the Great Western Railway.  It is on the Great Western Main line between London and Bristol but was built 30 years after it first opened and originally named just ‘Acton’ and renamed ‘Acton Main Line’ in 1948 The station had a goods shed and cattle pens with sidings to the north.  At nationalisation in 1947 the station had four platforms, all with wooden canopies along their length –now all gone.. There was also a siding next to platform – both of which were demolished in the late 1960s. Modernisation in the 1960s led to the demolition of the 19th station building and replacement with a small booking office. All eastbound trains from the station terminate at Paddington.  It has a very limited service, most trains pass straight through without stopping on the line which once used Platform 1. Some of the Beatles film ‘A Hard Day’s Night’ was filmed there. A new station building was provided in 1996 and it is intended that the station is part of Crossrail.
Western Region Goods Yard. A large coal depot stood to the south east of the station. By the 1950s this is marked as ‘Metal Store’ and is served by a siding from the main line. Currently Network Rail own the site and is responsible for the access road and it is used for a number of industrial and commercial operations. As part of the freight railway infrastructure trains are loaded/unloaded and loads stored and sorted here, Freight trains deliver aggregates and used ballast from London Underground for recycling. D B Schenker Rail (UK) Ltd, operates the rail freight yard. Other users include: J. Simpson Waste Management Ltd with a a waste transfer station for construction and demolition waste;   Hanson who have a concrete batching plant, Horn Lane Metals who deal with non-ferrous metals,  Aggregate Industries who handle sand and gravel, aggregates and recycling of used London Underground ballast, Day Aggregates, which packages aggregates for retail and Mixamate, a mobile concrete batching operation.
222 Leamington Hotel. This Charrington’s pub closed in 2013. It is now a Polish grocer.
307a The Shamrock Sports and Social Club. This is down an apparently unnamed lane on the west side of the road. In front of the club are large sports playing fields used regularly by local Gaelic Football, Hurling and Soccer teams which include - Greenford Celtic Football Club, Greenford Celtic Men’s Football Club, Murphy’s Ladies Camogie and Gaelic Football Club and  Father Murphy’s Hurling Club. The club also hosts Irish Music nights
367 Friars Place Farm. This stood at the north end of Horn Lane and was an early farm in the area. The moated farmhouse in Horn Lane  is thought to have belonged to St. Bartholomew's, and called Friars Place Farm from 1664 and later as Hamilton House, Narroway's Farm, or Snell's Farm. The last farmhouse, in 1818, was in yellow brick and an elaborate cast-iron balcony. Two older cottages lay behind a paved courtyard. The land was gradually sold off from the early 20th mainly to the local authority. It was a rest home for 200 horses in 1901 and in the 1920s the land was laid out for 100 tennis courts. In 1929 the house became the a vicarage for St. Gabriel's church and the moat was filled, in 1975 it was badly damaged by fire and by 1980 it had been demolished.


Jenner Avenue
This road is on part of the site used by the Leamington Park Hospital which fronted onto Wales Farm Road. Like some other roads on the estate it is named after an important past medical personality.
12 Big Yellow Self Storage. This was built on a neglected site at Gypsy Corner in 2008.
Playground, very small.

Kathleen Avenue
Vacant site – This was originally left vacant for part of a road widening scheme planned for the A40 which was abandoned in 1997. The site has derelict residential properties and an electrical substation extant.

Leamington Park
Vacant site – there have been various proposals for this site which results from the abandoned road widening scheme
Willesden & Acton Brick Co. operated from here by 1905. They had an agreement locally with the Great Western Railway over work on sidings extensions.
Electric Sub Station. This was built by the Metropolitan Electricity Supply Company in the 1930s when local conversion to AC supply was taking place. It is a large and impressive art deco building.

Lowfield Road
The Victory Construction Co. built bungalows for Gordon Selfridge here in 1919 and 1920, Acton residents receiving the first option to buy them.

Noel Road
The road runs along the edge of the playing fields and was formerly an approach road to Acton aerodrome before the Great War. The name commemorates the commandant.          |
Garden village houses for Great Western Railway employees. Designed by T.Alwyn Lloyd in 1923-25.
St Gabriel’s Church. When he was Bishop of London Arthur Foley Winnington-Ingram wanted the Church of England to expand into the suburbs. Forty mission huts were built and the clergy were called the London Diocesan Home Missionary.  Forty new churches resulted.  St Gabriel's mission was launched in 1923 and the church was opened in 1931. It was designed by Ernest Charles Shearman and parts  are unfinished. A very small part of a proposed hall complex was built with two small meeting rooms and a later wooden hall which is now rented to a nursery school

North Acton Playing Fields
This is a large open space for recreational sport with facilities for cricket and tennis. It opened in 1903 on land which had been part of Friars Farm.
Pavilion. This is in the park and hosts a number of activities. The moated site lies in the part of the park in the square to the west.


Park Royal Road
This was originally called Willesden Lane
Imperial College. Woodward Building. This is a hall of residence for Imperial College. It is 19 storeys and a student village with cluster apartments and communal space for students to enjoy. It is named for Professor Joan Woodward, an academic in Organisation Theory.
1 Brett Villas. Robertson Memorials. Alexander Robertson set up a stone cutter business in 1876, with Mr Gray. In 1936 the family were still on the same Aberdeen site. In 1951 they began to take over other businesses in 1960 as far away as Buckie.
North Acton Cemetery. (the northern part of the cemetery is in the site to the north  - this includes the railway line and crossing)  It is built on the land of the Lower Place Farm which the council bought 13 acres of in 1893.  It opened in 1895, set up by the Acton Burial Board two chapels were built and an area was consecrated and laid out for the cemetery.  The Early English Gothic style stone chapels for Anglicans and Non-Conformists were designed by Borough Surveyor, Daniel Ebbetts  There is some planting of lime, holly, yew, horse chestnut, Leylandia. It is bounded by utilitarian 20th railings to Park Royal Road. A Cross of Sacrifice was erected by the Imperial War Graves Commission to honour those who lost their lives in two World Wars.. The cemetery is now closed to new burials, and only used for burials in re-opened family owned graves.


Portal Way
This is a road built through the centre of an industrial area Victoria Road and Wales Farm Road. It is full of large units, mainly for businesses but residential towers are planned.
1 Dixons Car Phone Warehouse. This was their head office until a merger with Dixons.
3 Shurgard. Self Storage company building.
4 Holiday Inn. Chain hotel. This was previously a Ramada Encore hotel.
Lyra Court. Ground floor community space;
Portal West Business Centre
Delphna Group. This dates from 1972 and deals with commercial kitchens and refrigerated cold rooms to the food and drink manufacturing industry.


Rosenbank Way
Road built in the inter war years on the site of a house called Rosebank
Rosebank Works.. In the 1930s it was used by W,Hall, engineers and brassfounders and in the 1950s  the occupant was Jencons (Scientific) – laboratory supplies, and glass blowers. Oaktree House is a block on site. Now being developed for housing


Seacole Close
Leamington Park Community Centre. This is one of a group of such centres run by Catalyst Housing;


The Drive
Road on the line of the entrance into the Friar’s Place Estate

Victoria Road
Originally called Edward Road
1 NEC building. European headquarters building for this international telecoms company. This was on the site now used by Imperial College and demolished in 2009
Elgee Works.Landris and Gyr. They had a factory near the station.They are a Swiss firm, dating from the 1890s and specialising in electric meters. They set up a base in England in 1912, building the works in Acton in 1927.  in 1985 they produced a commemorative phone card and were still in production in 1996.. They are now part of Toshiba .
Ducon Works. The company was founded in New York in 1920, by William Dubilier, who was responsible for many early developments in the field of electronics and radio, including the use of mica in capacitors. They appear to have been in Acton from 1925 and to have exhibited at British trade fairs from 1929.
Victoria Instruments, Ltd., Midland Terrace.Scientific instrument company  belonging to a Mr. Quilter
Victoria Paper Mills. Owned by Albert E.Mallandain from south London who had begun as a draftsman and became a lithographer.. They made corrugated papers and laminated board. The works dated from the 1920s and later moved to a site in Park Royal.
North Acton Station.  There had been an earlier Great Western Railway North Acton Station adjacent to the present Central Line Station 1923-1947. This opened as a halt in 1904 on a service between Westbourne Park and Southall. It had a short timber platform, corrugated iron pagoda hut, oil lamps, name board and no staff.
North Acton Station. This is a tube station opened in 1923 which lies between Hangar Lane and East Acton Stations and between West Acton and East Acton Stations, all on the Central Line and run by London Underground.  Although it is a Central Line Station it originated with a New North Main Line which had been built by the Great Central and Great Western railways. The Great Western had built the Ealing & Shepherd's Bush Railway to connect their Ealing Broadway station to the Central London Railway. Trains began to run on this route in 1920 and a station at North Acton was built and owned by the Great Western. The New North Line ran on two tracks north of the Central line tracks along with two freight lines which were removed in the 1960s.  Platforms which served the New North Line closed in 1947 when the Central Line was extended to Greenford.  By 2008, only freight trains and a Chiltern Railway one a day passenger service used it. Thus the Central Line Underground station had only two platforms until 1992 when a third platform was added in space previously used by the freight line. Plaforms are reached by stairs from the booking hall and there are two exits in Victoria Road. About half the trains stopping here go to West Ruislip and about half to Ealing Broadway.
140 Castle Public House.. Built after 1913 on the site of Wales Farm A large, pub and prominent local landmark. It is a late example of the application of a Victorian ‘free style’ to a public house


Wales Farm Road,
St.Leonard’s Farm – this was also called Wales Farm and stood on the corner of Wales Farm Road and what would become Victoria Road. A footpath ran north of the farm on the line of the current road
The Friars. This was a house built in 1785 of the Goldsmiths Estate. It was sold to the Council in 1902 for the isolation hospital and became the administration block of Leamington Park hospital. It was demolished in 1989
Leamington Park Hospital. In 1902 Acton Urban District Council purchased land from the Goldsmith Estate for an isolation hospital Included in the sale was The Friars, an 18th house. The hospital opened in 1905 with The Friars as the administrative building. In 1929 the London County Council took the hospital over. In 1946 it became an annexe to the Central Middlesex Hospital before joining the National Health Service. It was renamed Leamington Park Hospital after a nearby street to avoid confusion with other hospitals. In 1953 it was linked with Acton Hospital converted for the Group Geriatric Service. In 1983 it was closed and patients transferred to Willesden General Hospital. Part of the site has been redeveloped with housing with new roads named after various medical personalities - Garrett, Jenner, Lister and Seacole.
Acton Council Electricity Works. This was on the site of The Friars and resulted from pressure from the Board of Trade. The Council arranged for the Metropolitan Electric Supply Co. to provide current to the council from their works at Acton Lane. The Councils bulding at Wales Farm Road was built in 1904 and comprised static transformers and motor generators to provide a direct current The building was designed by the Council’s Surveyor, Mr. Ebbetts.  Service began in 1905 and cables were laid in 36 streets. By 1911 the costs were such that the whole system was transferred over to the Supply Company and they bought the Wales Farm Road works in 1913.
Acton Council dust destructor. This was built here 1909 and all rubbish was burnt here by 1928.
140 Elizabeth Arden Perfume Factory. This was built by Wallis, Gilbert & Partners in 1939. This American cosmetic company  moved its London factory from Westminster to this site in 1939. The Acton factory continued to make and distribute cosmetic products in the U.K. despite changing ownership. It has now been converted to offices and flats
Telegraph Condenser Works.  Their factory was also by Wallis Gilbert., In 1906 Sidney George Brown, electrical engineer and inventor, formed the Telegraph Condenser Co. to manufacture and market his inventions By 1914 the businesses had expanded to employ over a thousand people. Many thousands of his headphones were manufactured for use during the Great War.  As radio broadcasting took hold the company manufactured crystal and, valve receivers. The company also manufactured loudspeakers and compasses. They moved here in 1915  into a building designed by Wallis Gilbert.  Brown's companies provided components for both power and radio, as well as for telegraph and telephone businesses.The Browns retired in the 1940s. The company was acquired by Racal in the 1980s
Actona Biscuit Works. Owned by Gunn & Co.,
Strachan and Brown. They moved to Wales Farm Road in 1921 and were later renamed Strachans. During the Second World War they built the utilit' bus body, to government design, intended to  minimise on skilled labour and unnecessary frills. In the 1950s, they built van and lorry bodies - notably for the Post Office. The factory later moved to Hamble, on Southampton Water


Western Avenue
Major road – the A40 – built through the area in the 1930s
Gypsy Corner. This junction was formed with the construction of Western Avenue. There have been various plans for widening and improvements but none have actually taken place, In the 1990s houses were bought and demolished but work stopped in 1996 and the vacant land remained undeveloped for another decade.
Rail Bridges. This scheme is managed byTransport for London to replace the two Western Avenue bridges over the railway lines at Wales Farm Road and Perryn Road. The bridges were built in the late 1920s and were not designed to cope with the volume of traffic.
Big Yellow Storage Company. This has been built on a site which had been left derelict having been kept for a road widening scheme which was abandoned in 1996.  It is a self-storage warehouse.
S G Brown Radio Relay Products Ltd, This firm was in a property on the corner with Park Royal Road. They claimed to have been the first to use the term "loudspeaker".  In 1910 Sydney George Brown formed the company to make telephone equipment. In  1906 he formed the Telegraph Condenser Co to manufacture and market his inventions. By 1914 he was employinf  over a thousand people.Many thousands of type-A headphones were made being for use during in the Great War.Later they made crystal receivers and, later, valve receivers. They moved here in 1915. Brown also made compasses. Through the 1930s The Telegraph Condenser Co expanded; the business was turned into a public company the Browns retaining control but they were replaced by the Admitality in the Second World War. In the 1980s Racal Electronics acquired S. G. Brown

Sources
British History. Online. Acton. Web site.
Connor. Forgotten Stations
Day. London Underground
Field. London Place Names
Grace’s Guide. Web site 
Imperial College. Web site
Knights. A brief history of electricity in Acton 
Kingston Zodiac
Landrys and Gyr. Web site
Life in London. Web site
London Borough of Ealing. Web site
London Encyclopaedia
London Parks and Gardens. Online. Web site
Lost Hospitals of London. Web site
Middlesex Churches
National Archives. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. North West London 
Robertson Memorials. Web site
Shamrock Club. Web site
Skinner. Form and Fancy
Stevenson. Middlesex
Univ. Middlesex. Info
Walford. Village London, 
Wikipedia. Web site. As appropriate


Friday, 17 March 2017

Acton Central


Post to the north Acton Main Line, North Acton


Acacia Road
Acacia Club tennis courts. This was present on the north side of the road until the 1950s. There is now housing on the site – more modern than the rest of the road.

Acton Park
Acton Park.  This was created in 1888. In the middle ages this had partly been a common field, Church Field. In 1886-88 land was purchased by Acton Local Board from various owners, including the Dean and Chapter of St Paul's, a market garden, and the Perryn Charity but mainly from the Goldsmiths' Company.  Lane in the south of the park had been used in part for brick-earth extraction in the 1870s and the ground remains uneven. It was opened to commemorate the Golden Jubilee of Queen Victoria. The northern boundary changed in the Second World War and became allotments and in 1945 prefabs were built here. A bank along the northern edge was removed when these prefabs were removed. At the same time an entrance was created as a result of a flying bomb demolishing houses in East Churchfields Road.
The Layout.  This includes mature trees some of which may predate the formation of the park and may be hedgerow trees. Some plane trees may have been planted to provide a view from the Goldsmiths' Almshouses. The municipal layout has radiating avenues of mature trees with large grassed open spaces, and there are views to the east. There are planted clumps and lined walks of beech, hornbeam, horse chestnuts and lime. There is a sunken garden laid out with rhododendrons and other shrubs.
Twilight Tree. This is a tree which died of Dutch Elm Disease near the main entrance carved into a 28-foot statue.
Wildlife site. In the south of the park is a hedge, a pond and wildflower meadow area. This was developed in .2001 by Ealing's Parks Service with the Friends of Acton Park.
Obelisk.  This is a memorial to James Radcliffe, Earl of Derwentwater who was one of the leaders of the 1715 Rebellion, imprisoned after the Battle of Preston, and beheaded on Tower Hill in 1716. It was originally in the grounds of Derwentwater House, Horn Lane and was given to Acton Council by the owners of the house in 1904.
Bandstand. This staged popular concerts in the early 20th. The site of it is now a circular bed with ornamental planting.
Pavilion and cafe. These were installed in the 1930s
Acton Park Lodge. It is now the East Ranger Base

Alfred Road
C.J. Jordan Monumental Masons were at Zero from the early 20th until around 2014. The site is now being developed for housing and Jordans are elsewhere in the Borough

Baldwyn Gardens
There is said to be a manhole cover here for Acton Council Electricity Supply

Berrymead Gardens
2 United Services Club. This was Liberty Hall an Evangelistic Mission, set up by undesignated Christians in 1908. The United Services Club were using the building by 1933 and remain as a Clubs and Institutes Union Working Men’s club.,
5 Presbytery for Our Lady of Lourdes which is round the corner in the High Road.

Birkbeck Road
4 Probation Service Office. The site was previously a nursery – and there may have been other nurseries opposite.

Chaucer Road
Roman Pottery found here by Pitt Rivers, 1869when the houses were built
Railings - early 18th railings, gate piers, and garden walls remain in back gardens in the street as relics of the grant houses which once stood in the area.


Church Road
16 Ruskin Hall. Ealing Labour Party
Hope Centre Baptist church. The Baptist church in Acton originated in 1856, and a church was established here in 1864. In 1894 the church split and some members built a rival chapel. In 1977 this church rejoined the Church Road Baptists. It was designed by in 1864 by W Mumford with a classical frontage and stained glass windows with idiosyncratic lamp brackets along the frontage


Churchfield Road
This is on the line of an ancient track across the Church Field from Acton to East Acton Lane, and it remained unpaved until 1860. Between Churchfield and East Churchfield Roads.
Level Crossing for the railway
2 Albion Pub. This closed 2008 and is now a beauty shop. It dated from the 1880s.
11-13 The Rocket. Originally this was The Station Hotel and was built in 1871
Darton Court. This is the site of Acton Congregational Chapel. This opened in 1871 and eventually became United Reform in 1972. It closed in 1976 and there is now a block of sheltered housing flats on site. Churchfield Hall was attached to the church and used by various religious and other groups for meetings, including use by local schools.
89 This was taken over in 1941 by the laundry operating at the rear in Grove Place. It was demolished in 1991 and replaced with flats.
115 The Mechanics Arms. This was later known as Foleys and then Lynch’s Inn. It closed in 2011. It dated from the 1880s
St Mary’s Burial Ground. This was opened in 1863 on land purchased by the Acton Vestry. It had been part of Conduit Close where springs, providing the village with water. By 1929 it was almost full. In 1979 it was turned into a public garden with a paved area, planters and headstones were set against the perimeter walls. It is bounded by iron railings with an iron entrance gate from Churchfield Road


Cromwell Close
This is on the site of what was Acton Technical College and itself on the site of Grove House. There are now flats on the site of the house and the college.
Grove House. This was built in the 19th as a gentleman’s country house and then demolished in the 1920s. It had previously been Acton Commercial College, a boys' boarding school from 1896, run by a trustee of Acton Methodist church. It provided preparatory classes for young boys and courses for careers in business, the civil service, and engineering. It moved to Ealing in 1925 and House was sold to Acton Urban District Council.
Acton Technical College. This was built on the site of Grove House and opened in 1928 with access via Locarno Road. Some sectors of the College moved out to eventually become Brunel University. The original College also moved and this building was demolished.


East Churchfield Road
Goldsmiths' Company almshouses. Overlooking the park this was built in 1811 by Charles Beazley. In 1808 a scheme was developed to build almshouses on Goldsmiths' Company property here. The freehold land had been left to the Goldsmiths by John Perryn. Twelve almshouses were built in 1811 and another eight added in 1838. Almspeople were chosen from the Settled Pension List. Rules were stringent and it was compulsory to attend church twice on Sundays. It is a yellow brick building with two wings. At the ends and the centre are stuccoed feature buildings. The forecourt gardens are laid out with a lawn and, originally, two Lebanon cedars. It is surrounded by railings on a low brick wall with central gates. Behind the buildings is a walled garden and allotment garden with service yard, with two old water pumps and a chapel. In 2011 they were converted into 20 homes by Charterhouse Standard Holdings.
Maples Children’s Centre and Nursery School.
Acton Central Station.  Opened in 1853 this now lies between Willesden Junction and South Acton on the North London Line. Originally North and South West Junction Railway were authorised to build a line between two other railway junctions to join the London North West Railway from near Kensal Green to the London South West Railway’s line near Kew. Passenger services over it were run by the North London on what was a single track with no stops.  In 1853 this station was opened and called ‘Acton’ and said to the result of action by the Goldsmiths’ Company. It was then called ‘Acton Churchfield Road’ until 1925 when it became ‘Acton Central’.  The Italianate station was very grand in pale brick with yellow London stock detail and is now partly a pub.  Between 1875 and 1902 it was connected with St.Pancras via the Dudding Hill Line.In 2011, the platforms were lengthened to allow longer trains. This is where trains change power supply from overhead line equipment to third rail
The Station House Pub. This is in the part of the station building which was the postal sorting office.
Manor Farmhouse. This was on the corner with East Acton Lane. There are now flats on the site.


Friars Place Lane
St Dunstan. This church was built in 1879 following a request from the Goldsmith’s Company who endowed it.  . It was designed by the architect R Hesketh with red brickwork and a 140 foot high landmark tower

Goldsmiths Close
A development by John Grey and Partners for Peabody1956

Grove Place
2 -2a this was a laundry before 1871. In 1887 it was the Sussex Laundry and in 1941 extended to a shop front in Churchfield Road


High Street
1 Railway Tavern. This pub has had a series of name changes – on 2006 it was the Captain Cook, and later Libertaire. Euphoriom, Frankie's; Hollywood Greats. It dates from the 1860s
Dominion Cinema. This opened in 1937. It was belonged to the Bacal & Lee Circuit, and was designed by Frank Ernest Bromige in streamlined Art Deco. Inside the circle was cafe in a sunken floor area. It was taken over by the Granada Circuit in 1946 and re-named Granada Theatre. It closed in 1972 and was became the Gala Bingo Club which closed in 2014. It was then sold to the Destiny Christian Centre who have now left it.
Town Hall. The original Town Hall building fronts onto Winchester Street. This is the 1938 extension. It continues along Winchester Street but faces onto the High Street.
Inside it is dominated by the main marble staircase. There is an Assembly hall, with a stage and dressing rooms a reception room, panelled in sycamore and called the Sycamore Room. Committee rooms on the first floor later used as offices. It was by Robert Atkinson who used good materials in a, Scandinavian-inspired fashion.
Acton Baths. These have now been rebuilt with an entrance from the High Street which opened in 2014.
50 Windmill Pub, Late 19th corner building with a tower and some pargetting.
Acton Library. This is in red-brick with an ornate façade. It was designed by Maurice Bingham Adams and constructed in 1898-1900. It is no longer in use as a library. It was originally funded by Passmore Edwards
Our Lady of Lourdes. This is an Italian Romanesque church built in 2002 from designs by Edward Goldie including some use of concrete. The interior marble furnishings date from the 1950s. In the early 19th there was a small base of local Catholic activity and in 1882 a corrugated iron church was opened in South Acton and in 1902 the current church was built. Various extensions and fittings have been added since.
191 Crown Cinema. This opened in 1911 it built by. Field and Son. From 1913 it was named the Crown Kinema and closed around 1946. By then the auditorium was a snooker club. Part of the building was demolished in 2003 and flats built on the site. The original facade and foyer is a Chinese take-a-way and a dentist in above.
145 Elephant and Castle now called Foleys. Pub, also called The Clare Inn. This dates from the 1880s and may, or may not, still be open.
183  George and the Dragon. An 18th building with an Edwardian pub front. Inside is a list of landlords since 1759. There is also attached a micro brewery called the Dragonfly. There are also two large statues of nymphs.
Barclays Bank. Originally built for the London and South West Bank  in 1884
The Old Fire Station. The Acton Local Board bought a manual fire engine and escape following fires in the 1860s. A volunteer Fire Brigade was also formed and equipment was housed in a shed behind the church. A new Fire Station was opened in 1899 designed by D J Ebbetts, the Acton Surveyor. It included a tower to dry hose and act as a lookout. There was a flat for the engineer and a panelled room for drill. There was also a mortuary and an ambulance. It remained in use until 1939 and then became a civil defence post. It is now a church.
St.Mary's Church. This is the parish church. A church dedicated to St Mary of the Visitation’ has been on this site since at least 1231. In 1642 it was damaged by Roundhead soldiers. Under the present floor are the remains of the church rebuilt in 1834 and demolished except for the tower, in 1865. The tower was replaced in 1876. The church contains art works and monuments – including a wooden font carved by Maoris for the Wembley Exhibition of 1924-1925. The clock in the tower dates from 1876 and there are eight bells, two dated 1637.
Graveyard. This was replaced for burials by the Churchfield Road Burial Ground.
Pump. The Acton Pump is by the north-west door of St. Mary's. It was originally in the High Street replacing an earlier conduit. It was restored by Dorothea and placed here. It is inscribed "1819 t. Freethy, maker, Acton, erected by the Rev Wm. Antrobus"
Mile post. This is opposite the pump but originally stood in the High Street. As a turnpike that was the Uxbridge Road and distances were measured from Tyburn.

Hoopers Mews
Acton Poultry Club. Club House and offices in the 1940s and 1950s.

Horn Lane
This is an old lane now cut in two with part as a main road and part as a small scale shopping street. It was once called Stone Lane.
Stream called the Warple ran, or runs, from here to Ravenscourt Park. It flowed down along the road
10 Rex Cinema. This opened as the Acton Cinematograph Theatre in 1909. It had two projectors, a small orchestra, a piano and an organ. Seating was on a single floor. By 1913 it was the Acton Kinema Theatre, and then Kinema until 1930 when it was wired for sound and re-named Carlton Cinema. In 1937 it was re-named Rex Cinema and was closed in around 1943. The building was used as offices for Barrett Maintenance Services Ltd until it was demolished in 2007, and replaced with housing.
Man hole cover. This is said to represent St Helen's Cable Co. for Acton Urban District Council.
Artillery House Territorial Army. In 1938, RHQ, 154 and 155 Batteries had moved from Chelsea to here After the Second World War it was used by one of the City of London Field Regiments. The site is no longer in use by the TA. Engineer House was demolished in 2001 and there are now flats on site.
35 Hawkco House. Offices for tool hire company and training establishments. The building is named for F.Hawkins and Co. who moved the offices for their grocery business here in 1932. They went out of business in 1977
Springfield Gardens. The site was part of the estate of Springfields House, named for a spring here, part of the land was bought by Acton Urban District Council in 1920 in order to deposit excavated material from sewage works construction. In 1933 it was decided to turn it into ornamental public gardens. It opened in 1935 when it had 'trim lawns, flower-beds, rockeries, meandering gravel paths and summer houses' .Tennis courts, putting greens and bowling greens and a children's playground were provided and the park had a path 'in the form of a loop for gentle exercise'. An open-air theatre was later demolished.
Baptist chapel. This was on the corner of Faraday Road. It had originated in Hope Baptist church which moved here in 1904. It closed in 1934 and was renamed Faraday Hall and was subsequently used by Acton Liberal Association and later by the Labour Party.  The site is now flats.
Springfield Works. Described as ‘hearing aid works’ in the 1950s this seems to be a branch of Ardente Acoustics founded by a Mr. Dent. They had a head office in Oxford Street and a factory in Guildford and elsewhere, including Park Royal, and specialised in acoustic equipment of many sorts. Springfield Works itself was built on the site of an old gravel pit, one of several in the area
Derwentwater House. Built by historian Nicholas Selby in 1804 after the Earl of Derwentwater. Demolished 1909.
Rectory. This was built here in 1725 and demolished in 1925

Market Place
This was part of Horn Lane, renamed in the mid 19th when shops were built here. There are also market stalls in other parts of the adjacent area. There has been a market in Acton since the middle ages.
Sheepwalk Tavern. This pub closed in 2012 it may, or may not, be open. It’s a 19th pub originally called William IV.

Oldham Road
2-5 Acton Mosque and Muslim Welfare Association. Acton Mosque is the town's main mosque: daily prayers, Friday prayers, Islamic talks and children’s' classes.

Salisbury Street
Acton Baths – the public baths have now been replaced on the same site but with an entrance from the High Street
Public baths Acton Baths, opened in 1904, with changing rooms are located around the outside of the pool. There were two Swimming Baths and slipper baths supplemented in 1926 by the King's Rooms fronting the High Street. This meant there was a Grand Entrance Hall when the baths were floored over for a dance or concert. On the first floor was a restaurant with elaborate plaster of ship's prows. Restored in 1989-1990 and since demolished and replaced
King George V Garden. This was opened on Coronation Day 1911 and was eventually covered by extensions to the baths and the 1930s Town Hall. It was taken over for Army offices during the Great War and later used as offices by the Council.

Shaa Road
Road built up on Goldsmiths’ Company land in the late 19th

Shakespeare Road
This was built up in the 1860s and named for Shakespeare House which it replaced.
89- 91 Acton Conservative Club and Headquarters. In 1871 this was Acton’s first baths – a private baths, double fronted with imposing stairs. In 1903 it became a laundry, and in 1927 became a billiard saloon. It is said there is an underground stream and artesian well beneath it, and also a ghost. This has now been demolished and replaced with housing.
Derwentwater Primary school. This was built in 1905 as the Acton Central Schools, on part of the grounds of Derwentwater House.  It was a classic "three decker", with Infant, Junior and Senior schools in the three separate levels of the building. It was the first building in Acton to be lit by electric light from the Council's works in Wales Farm Road. The school had a commercial bias with French, typing and science included. It had a Manual Centre, and a Cookery School. It is now a Primary School and nursery

St.Dunstan's Avenue
There are several green spaces down the west side of the road. Many sadly fenced off.

Steyne Road
51-53 London Star Hotel
86 Duke of York Public House. Early 20th corner pub of three storeys in red brick with pepper pot turret with copper cladding.

The Vale
195 Kiss Gyms
272-282 Bryant Court Sheltered Housing
Access Storage Solutions. This is what was the Wallis Gilbert building of Napier’s engineering works as modified in the 1970s. David Napier came to Soho later moving to Lambeth, D Napier & Sons was set up in 1848 and was taken over by grandson M. S. Napier in 1895 working on internal combustion engines and motor carriages. They moved to Acton Vale in 1903, and by 1906 were making 200 cars a year plus motor boat engines. In the Great War they made aircraft engines under government contract including the “Lion”. This led to the construction of the extant building. During the Second World War, production of aircraft engines was increased. The company was taken over by English Electric Company in 1942, and became part of the GEC group. The Acton sites continued to develop products, but closed in 1965.
Park Lodge
Horse trough outside the Lodge
220 Seaton House and Grafton House. Marked from 1950s as ‘nurses homes’
St John's Ambulance. First Aid Dressing Station. Present in the 1950s
273 art deco garage building.
St Barnabas church. Built in 1890 as an iron mission church. Closed and the site sold by 1919 when the building became a club.

Vyner Road
Named after another goldsmith, Thomas Vyner

Winchester Street
Acton Town Hall and Municipal Buildings. Acton Public office and Town Hall were built in 1909-10 on a site then already crowded by public baths, a police court and a public library. They were designed by Raffles & Gridley who came second in a competition assessed by. Norman Shaw. The building is modest because of finance but embodied a degree of civic pride. Inside is a staircase leading to the council chamber, committee room and councillors' retiring-room on the first floor and expansion of office space was allowed for. In 1939 a new town hall was built for the Borough of Acton which fronts onto the High Street.
Magistrates Court. Now housing

Sources
Action W3. Web site
Acton Masjid. Web site
Barton. Lost Rivers of London
British History. Online Acton. Web site
Cinema Treasures. Web site.
C.J.Jordan and Sons. Web site
Clunn. The Face of London
Field. London Place Names,
Grace’s Guide. Web sites
Harper Smith. Soapsud Island
Haverhill Whitings. Web site
Hearing Aid Museum. Web site
Historic England. Web site
Knights. Electricity in Acton
London Borough of Ealing. Web site
London Encyclopaedia
London Gardens Online. Web site
London Metropolitan Archive. Web site
Lost Pubs Project. Web site
Meulankamp and Wheatley. Follies,
Middlesex Churches,
Middlesex County Council. History of Middlesex
Oates. Acton. A History
Pastscape. Web site
Pub History. Web site
Nairn. Nairn’s London
Pevsner and Cherry. North West London
Robins. North London Railway
Rocket. Web site
Stevenson. Middlesex
St Mary’s. Web site
Taking Stock. Web site