Mutton Brook rises in Cherry Tree Wood and
Post to the east Highgate
Post to the west Hampstead Garden Suburb
513 The Wellington – the Wellington Petrol
Station is now on its site.
Originally built as part of the Barnet by
road is named for General Sir Fenton John Aylmer VC British commander at the
Siege of Kut in the Great War. It was built before 1935 across the site of
Manor Court –
flats built in 1935 roughly on the site of Manor Farm, which preceded the road and
was owned by United Dairies.
Cherry Tree Wood
This was part of Finchley Wood on the
northern edge of the Bishop of London's park. It was once known as Dirthouse
Wood since carters’ night soil from London to an adjacent depot. The Mutton
Brook is now culverted here but at one time it supported water-cress beds. The
site was bought by Finchley Urban District Council from the Ecclesiastical
Commissioners in 1914 and it was opened in 1915 as a park. It has grassland and
woodland and a small lodge. There is now an active Friends of Cherry Tree Wood
Highgate Golf Club. Opened in 1904, the course
was designed by C.S. Butchart. The clubhouse was burnt down in 1926 and in 1962
Bishopswood Reservoir. Built in 1928 by the Metropolitan
Water Board and stores 40 million litres of water
Lodge Hill. This is the site of the Bishop
of London's moated hunting lodge. It was demolished in the 14th. The moat was fed by a spring which still
Housing built by Hornsey Council in 1902-1913.
Road Children’s Centre
A lease for this area was given to architect,
John Groom, in 1878 who built this road with large houses.
Great North Road
1960 this was the Great North Road and the Al, then it was down-graded to
A1000. Although the whole route was
once called Great North Road, it is now the road name from the junction with
the North Circular northwards.
Finchley Sub-Station. This supplied power to the Northern Line of London
Underground and was opened in 1938. Now redundant
Highgate Depot and Sidings.
Highgate Depot is east of the lines which
once went to Finsbury Park and was closed in 1970. It was adapted from the
original London and North Eastern Railway depot in 1939 for use by the Northern
Line. The lines into the depot are those originally built for the service from Finsbury
Park – the rest of the track was removed in the 1970s. The depot complex closed
in 1984 after service reductions, along with Park Junction signal box. It was reopened
in 1989. The main lines and everything south of the depot building was fenced
off and became increasingly overgrown and derelict. In 1996 the areas south of
the depot were cleared and access to the depot from the south was reopened.
Highgate Wood Sidings were built in 1939 in
the 'V' between Highgate Depot and the Finsbury Park branch and consisted of sidings
for tube trains. They were closed in December 1982 and became semi-derelict. It
was concerned for a new Northern Line control centre
Park Junction. This junction is where the lines
to East Finchley and to Finsbury Park diverged. A new signal box was built here
by in 1939 London Transport to cover Highgate
depot and to eventually control the line to Finsbury Park which it was then
planned to hand over to London Transport. The box closed in 1984 and becoming
derelict and vandalised was demolished in 1995
Wellington Sidings. Transformed into tube
depot in 1930s from the old Highgate Goods Depot. It is said to be haunted by a
spectral steam train. It is now the site of a number of commercial depots.
Stormont Tennis and Squash Club
Western Highways Depot Hornsey Corporation
56b Built in 1928
60 example of
suburban Georgian. Built to a high standard.
houses - the first semidetached houses on North Hill. Such houses were in suburban
areas where land was less expensive and speculative builders were not constrained
by the bye-laws which governed building in central London
80 an example of
a house type popular in Edwardian suburbs.
82 built at the end
of the 18th with a parapet roof typical of the period.
88-90 early 19th
century faced in stucco hiding drainage arrangements
103-107 Mary Feilding Guild. Home for the
117 terrace built
in 1811. The layout is too narrow for the front door to be directly below the
first floor window as would be the normal for a house of this period
Revival villa from 1880.
Cottages. Built in 1877 by The Highgate Dwellings Improvement Co. Their design
conforms to the 1870 building bye-laws – vertical brickwork between the houses to
reduce the risk of fire; generous space; taller chimneys; a 9 inch minimum
brickwork for each wall and a damp proof course.
193 built by Hornsey
Urban Sanitary Authority in 1902 presumably for the then Highway’s Depot. Unlike
privately rented housing of this period there is no front bay window and no
by the 1920s although building accelerated after the Second World War including
blocks of private flats
Primary School. Built as Highgate ighatBoard
School. The school had leased the old British
school in Southwood Lane in 1875 but moved here in 1877. It was extended
several times later.
Terraces built in the 1970s by Robert Harrison of Haringey Architects Department in a revival of
vernacular imagery of fifty years previously.
Small houses built in1962 by Dinerman
Dawes & Hillman.
from the 1890s with very large Free Style detached houses
3 - 7 Built
1897 by A. Mitchell, in orange brick
1899 by M. Bunney
cautious Early Modem. There are Art Deco lamps along the garden wall.
15 built by
George Sherrin, 1905 with its own lodge. The pargetting is by Daymond and illustrates
the motto ‘The North Wind and the Sun. Persuasion is better than Force'.
Private Hospital set up in 1989
Moorfields Eye Hospital annexe and clinic
Entrance to rail depot and railway bridge
Stations. Web site
History, Highgate. Web site
The Face of London
London Place Names
Golf Club. Web site
Borough of Haringey. Web site
Gardens Online. Web site
County Council. History of Middlesex,
and Cherry, London North
Great North Road,