The Crane continues to flow south
TQ 10280 76864
Suburban area along the old Bath Road
Post to the north Cranford
Post to the south Hatton
618 Jolly Waggoner. Big roadhouse style pub.
680 Cranford College. It appears to be built
on the site of a pool which was in the grounds of Meadowbank
686 Meadowbank Adult Education Centre.
Opened 2010. It had previously been a
community centre. It is either on, or close to, the site of the Speedbird Club
– and the site of Meadowbank House.
700 Travel Lodge hotel
Milestone. 18th outside the
Travel Lodge in the pavement,
745 Berkeley Arms Hotel. When the Bath Road was widened the
hotel was rebuilt in 1932 on a much grander scale. It was noted for a
Florentine restaurant and dance floor. It is now part of the Ramada Hotel
804 Europa House. This block dates from the
Site of the Church of the Holy Angels. This
was accessed from a path off the Bath Road. It began as a chapel of ease in the
19th in a Church of England school. In 1935 a corrugated-iron
mission church was built by Maurice Child with a green cement floor, and
concrete altar and font with furnishings given by local pubs. In 1940 it was
taken over by the London Diocesan Home Mission but in 1941 it was bunt down. It
was rebuilt immediately in a Rodney hut furnished by Martin Travers built of
steel with a hooter rather than bells. It burnt down in 1965 and the current
church in the High Street was built around 1970. The site of the church may be
reflected in the tarmacked car parking area at the rear of Europa House.
Parade. The shops with 'château’ type buildings and little slated turrets match
the 'Berkeley Arms' across the road and date from 1932.
Cranford National School. Opened 1883 west
of Dudset Lane
Cranford Primary School. The school moved here in 1937 from the
building on the Bath Road. A nursery was added in 1971.
Sand and gravel pit before the Second World
War on the site of the primary school.
This road led to Dudset Farm, a lorry park,
which lay on other side of the river Cray, and thus it leads first to a bridge which
is on private land
1 Cranford Baptist Church
Meadow Bank Gardens
Meadowbank was a house here which became the
headquarters of BOAC’s Speedbird social club, later replaced by the current
Meadowbank was established in 1946 as the
export shed for the British Overseas Airways Corporation. This was essentially
a collection point where goods for export were sorted and assigned to flights.
Air Scouts Hall
London Council straightened a section of the River Crane in Hounslow
artificially creating Oxbow lakes that have since become overgrown and heavily
Silver Jubilee way
Heathrow Estate. Trading estate
Cranebank. British airways training centre. Opened
1969 for cabin crew training.
Sewage Works. This lay south of Waye Avenue
next to the river. It was opened by Staines Rural District Council in the
1900s, and lasted until the 1940s.
Woodfield County Secondary School. 1960s
predecessor to Cranford Community College. Now in the High Street
British History Online. Cranford. Web
Church of the Holy Angels. Web site
Clunn. London Marches On
Milestone Society. Web site.
Pevsner and Cherry. North West London