The Crane flows south eastwards
Post to the north Cranford
Post to the east Beavers
Post to the south North Feltham
In this northern part of the wood are mounds which would have been blast walls against explosions in explosives sites
Leads from the airport to the British
Airways Training facility and the Haslemere Heathrow Trading Estate
Eastern Perimeter Road
Perishable Handling Facility. Temperature
controlled warehousing plus a border inspection post. Opened in 1988 it handles
vegetables, fresh fruit and flowers.
This was a country house in the bend in the road. It was owned by Frederick
Pollock, lawyer and baronet. In 1899 it was sold and became St.Anthony's Home.
St Anthony’s home. This was a Roman Catholic
orphanage, sold in 1958
Eastern Balancing reservoir. Providing for airport runoff, flow
balancing and fire-fighting aeration
Reservoir Fire Pump House
Sunlife Trading Estate
Great South West Road
A30 – The road from London to Lands End.
This section built in 1925. Dockwell
Lane – the road follows the line of this road on this route west of the
junction with Parkway
Dockwell Isolation Hospital, This was opened
in the 1890s by Heston & Isleworth Urban District Council. There was a scandal in 1895 about conditions
there and a new hospital was built at Mogden.
The Dockwell Hospital was kept for smallpox epidemics, when staff would
be sent there from Mogden. Otherwise it
was empty. As smallpox became rarer in
1921 some of the buildings were sold by auction an agreement was made to send
patients to the Surrey Smallpox Hospital. In 1928 it was reopened for ten
smallpox patients and, in 1930 for diphtheria patients. It closed in 1935.
Heathrow Causeway Trading Estate
Church of the Good Shepherd. Built as part of the Beavers Estate in the early 1950s. It was funded using money saved by not rebuilding the bombed church of St John's Wapping
Heathrow International Trading Estate
Wallbrook Business Centre
Green Man Lane
Green Man Pub. Dates from the late 18th and was the haunt of
Glazing mill – this lay beyond the end of
the lane up to the 1890s. Glazing is a
process used by some gunpowder manufacturers. The Bedfont Gunpowder Mills lay to
the south. Some brickwork and ruins
Southern Balancing reservoir.
Providing for airport runoff, flow balancing and
St. Anthony’s Way
Industrial and service buildings on the site
of St.Anthony’s Home.
Divides the two balancing reservoirs
This centre housed numerous training
schools, stores and facilities for British Airways
Hatton. Wilipedia. Web site.
and Hounslow Rifle Club. Web site
London Borough of Hounslow. Web site
Lost Hospitals of London. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. London North West