Friday, 1 February 2013

Yeading Brook - River Pinn Harrow Garden Village

Yeading Brook
Yeading Brook flows southwest and south.
The River Pinn flows south and west

Post to the east North Harrow
Post to the south Rayners Lane
Post to the north Pinner
Post to the west Eastcote

Cannon Lane
An nameless old lane which ran through into fields and woods
Downs Farm. Established as the result of enclosure in the early 19th.  Methodist church built from 1956 on the site. Farmhouse finally demolished 1972
River Pinn Bridge. A tablet assigns this bridge to 1728 and being built by landowner Lady Hunsdon. The bridge has since been rebuilt but the tablet remains on the parapet

Eastcote Road
Pinner Gas Works. south of Meadow Road, west side of the road.  Opened 1868-1931  by C. C. & W. T. Walker as Pinner Gas Co. Ltd. It became statutory in 1881  and takem over by the The Gas Light and Coke Co in. 1930. The manufacturing plant here was horizontal retorts, and C.W.G dating from 1918. The first date is not known but in 1872 the management of both works and district was done entirely by a Mr. Bell, aged 19, and his bride of 17.

Grove Avenue
Along with Pinner Grove these estate roads cover some of the grounds of The Grove, or Pinner Grove, which stood slightly to the north in the square above.  This area of housing was built by Harrow Council in 1949 building flats in order to preserve the trees.

Harrow Garden Village
This was the first development in Rayners Lane undertaken for E.S.Reid for Metropolitan Railway Country Estates Co Ltd. in the early 1930s.The name was a marketing device and the area did not have the idealism of other garden villages. There were nine sorts of house, most semidetached with four bedrooms and garage space and many ‘half timbered’.

Hereford Gardens
35 Barn of Cannons Farm. 17th in timber with a weather boarded tile roof

Lincoln Road
Yeading Walk. This is a linear open space alongside the Yeading Brook. The Entrance in Lincoln Road crosses midway along the length of the park.

Marsh Road
Pinner Village Garden Recreation Ground, This park was laid out in the 1920s with Harrow Garden Suburb. It has oak trees from the earlier grounds of The Grove and also has specimen trees as well as raised beds of flowers and a rose garden. There is a 1930s drinking fountain and a pond with walls with a fountain. There is a lodge and an entrance with iron gates. There are earthworks at the southern end which archaeologists think are like features left by long term ploughing on poor soil. This has led them to think that this area is part of the open field system used by Pinner as a mediaeval village.  It is thought to be the nearest ridge and furrow to central London.

Rayners Lane
This is an old route  but a nameless pathway through fields. It is named after a family of farm workers who lived locally

The Greenway
Like the rest of the area "Superior well-built Semi- Detached Villas …..5 minutes Rayners Lane station, Metropolitan and District Railway … From £850...No road charges, law costs or stamp duties. Houses may be built to purchasers' own designs on selected sites."

Whittington Road
The Pinner Arms, previously called The Whittington. On the site of Cannon Farm.

Sources
Clarke. History of Pinner
Clarke. Pinner
Field, London place names,
London Archaeologist
London Gardens Online
Middlesex. History of Middle,
Pevsner and Cherry.  North West London
Stewart. Gas Works of the North Thames Area

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Edith& All

What a wonderful concept. have really enjoyed 'skimming/scsnning' over several London districts; hoping to return & read more carefully when time allows.

Suggestion/request;

1 Any plans to inset a grid-map to serve as a locational Index?

2 Could The Group provide links to good Thames Basin drainage maps, to illuminate the text where appropriate?

With or without maps a Treasure of a collection. |well done.

mab