Thursday, 7 March 2013

River Crane Fulwell

River Crane
The Crane flows north eastwards

Post to the west Hospital Bridge
Post to the north Whitton

Campbell Road
All Saints Church. This was built in 1914 to the designs of J.S.Alder and was his last major church. It is in red brick. Inside is the pulpit from the bombed church of St Gabriel, Poplar. Windows of The Good Shepherd by William Morris, 1890, from a design by Burne Jones from the Haweis Chapel of St James's, Marylebone

Clarendon Crescent
Brunswick Club for Young People
Scout Hut
Teddington Table Tennis Club

Crane Park
Bridge over a weir on the Crane at the end of Mill Road

Elmsleigh Road
Trafalgar Junior School

Fifth Cross road
Waldegrave School for Girls. The site here had been used since 1928 by the Thames Valley Grammar School, which had become a Sixth Form College in 1973 and had closed in 1977. Waldegrave School was formed in 1980 by the merger of two girls' schools − Twickenham Girls' School and Kneller Girls' School − on its present site. The name commemorates Frances Waldegrave, who lived locally at Strawberry Hill.  The girls from Kneller Secondary Modern School moved to this site in 1978

Fortescue Avenue
1a Richmond Furniture Project

Fourth Cross Road
7 The Rifleman Pub. Said to have a collection of corkscrews. In 2012 a new sign was unveiled commemorating local rifleman Edwards who dribbled footballs towards the German lines before the Battle of Loos. The name is however considerably older than that.
Norwood Close. Site of laundry

Fulwell Park
Built beside the Crane as Fulwell Lodge before 1623. Became the home of Manuel II King of Portugal 1913-1932 .when he died his wife returned to Frieburg when she built another Fulwell Park.  Demolished and site used for housing.

Fulwell Park Avenue
Part of the area of the grounds of Fulwell Lodge which was acquired in 1932 by Wates who developed the estate with housing.

Gothic Road
Trafalgar Infant School

Hampton Road
Squires Garden Centre –This was the site of Blackmoor Farm which was still in use as a market garden in 1957.
241 The Old Goat. Since 2005 this has been a ‘Belgian’ Pub. It has had previous names of the Fulwell Arms, the Cock and Bull and the Jolly Blacksmith
183-185 the Mall School. Private boys ‘preparatory’ school. It has been here since 1909 when it moved from Teddington where it had been known as Huntingdon House.
Metropolitan and City Police Orphanage. Moved from Fortescue House, Twickenham, to Wellesley House in the Hampton Road in 1874. A great deal of fund raising was necessary. Money was given by 1874 by Angela Burdett Coutts and a wing was named after her.  Henry Whiting, founder of the Police Fund also gave and is commemorated by a clock and a plaque. A War memorial hospital was opened in the grounds in 1923 by the then Prince of Wales.  The orphanage closed in 1937 and relief passed to orphans through the Police Fund. A war memorial from the Great War commemorating alumni who has been killed is preserved in the police museum store. The main building was demolished in 1971 and replaced with housing.
Loch Fyne Restaurant. This was the Nelson Inn
136 Prince of Wales

Mill Road
Fullwell Paper Mills. This may have originated as a copper mill, but was am pol mill in 1767. By 1800 the site included a windmill as well as a tobacco drying area; linseed oil and cattle-cake were made here. Before 1865 it was a paper making mill and it was out of use by 1880.

Sixth Cross Road
152 The Fountain Pub. Built in 1939 in roadhouse style

South Road
30 Twickenham Fire Station
Ambulance Station

Staines Road
209 The Bloomsbury. This was the Five Oaks Inn dating back to at least the early 19th.
Brinsworth House. Built in 1850. The house was bought in 1911 with funds raised by the Music Hall Artistes' Railway Association, at the suggestion of the King Rat of the Grand Order of Water Rats. The society known as 'The Noble Six Hundred', - artistes and friends -, who each donated £2 10s and whose names are engraved for posterity on a board in the entrance. It is now funded by the Entertainment Artistes' Benevolent Fund.  It is a care home entirely for retired theatrical artistes of various sorts and some famous names who have lived there.

Stanley Road
St. James Catholic Primary School. The school was founded by the Sisters of Mercy in the late 19th but the current building was opened by HRH The Princess Royal in January 2006. It includes a unit for ASC children.

Third Cross Road
Trafalgar Schools were opened here in 1906 and were the first council schools in Twickenham and designed by Mr Cheers
Fruit preserving works. 1930s

Sources
Brinsworth House. Web site.
British Listed Buildings. Web site.
Brouge. Web site
Crocker. Gunpowder Gazetteer.
Kingston Zodiac
Metropolitan and City Police Orphanage. Web site
Meulenkamp and Wheatley. Follies
Middlesex County Council. A History of Middlesex,
Pevsner and Cherry. South London
Smyth. Citywildspace,
St.James Catholic Primary School. Web site.
Thames Basin Archaeological Group report
The Mall School. Web site.
The Rifleman. Web site.
Teddington Table Tennis Club. Web site
Trafalgar School. Web site
Waldegrave School. Wikipedia Web site
Walford. Village London

No comments: