Crane flows north west and the Duke of Northumberland’s River diverges from it
to the North.
Post to the south Fulwell
Post to the east Twickenham
Ritz Cinema was built for London & District Cinemas, owned by Major W.J.
King and Opened
in 1937. A Crompton organ installed in 1937 – this
was the ex-Coliseum Harrow instrument plus a muted trumpet and a new console in
1937. In 1939, it was
taken over by a local independent operator and in 1944, by the Oscar Deutsch
chain of Odeon Theatres and re-named Odeon in 1945. It was closed by the Rank
Organisation in 1961. The building stood empty and unused until it was demolished
in 1972. An office building named Fourways House was built on the site, which
included a branch of a bookmakers on the ground floor.
Whitton Station. Opened in 1930
this lies between Feltham and also Hounslow westwards and Twickenham eastwards on
South Western Trains. The line through Whitton was opened in
1848 by the Windsor, Staines and South Western Railway when they built a line
to Datchet. soon after they became part
of the London and South Western Railway and in 1923 part of the Southern Railway.
As part of a scheme to open stations in rapidly suburbanising areas Wotton was
opened. The station is thus a classic Southern structure with steel canopies
and pre-cast concrete platforms.
Winning Post Pub with music hall next door.
In 1930 Twickenham Borough Council acquired farmland for a new
recreation ground, using an established bathing place on the river Crane. The
park was opened in 1931 with sports pitches, pavilions, a children's play area,
and riverside walk with new trees and shrubs. It is now part of the linear
Crane Park which following the river.
The Duke of Northumberland's River leaves the Crane in Kneller Gardens. Named after the court portrait painter, Sir
Geoffrey Kneller, who lived locally
Crane Community Centre
Kneller Girls' School. Opened in 1936 at the railway end of the Meadway
site. The numbers were increased with the transfer of girls from the Stanley
Road School. In 1978 the school relocated to Fifth Cross
Trafalgar Day Nursery. Part of
141-145 Whitton Branch Library.
Circular red brick
123 Admiral Nelson. Fullers pub
Nelson. Web site.
London’s Local Railways
Borough of Richmond. Web site
Gardens Online. Web site
School for Girls. Web site.