Thursday, 15 May 2014

Gospel Oak to Barking Railway. Upper Holloway

Gospel Oak to Barking Railway
The railway from the site of Junction Road Station goes north eastwards

Post to the west Tufnel Park and Upper Holloway
Post to the north Upper Holloway

This posting covers only the south west corner of the square

Campdale Road
Main entrances to Tufnell Park Playing Fields. Tufnell Park Playing Fields were formed on the site of a 19th-century cricket pitch. It later became the playing fields for the Northern Polytechnic and was used by Tufnell Park Football Club and there were grandstands aroid the ground. Trench Air raid shelters were built there in the Second World War. It was later the University of London Playing Field, but is now owned by LB Islington


Foxham Road
Foxham Gardens.  Small park on the site of 19th houses. It was laid out in the 1980s and seems initially to have been called Whittington Park. Nature reserve and hazel trees
Yerbury Primary School. Opened in 1884 by the School Board for London as Yerbury Road Board School. An extension was built in 1895. It has been a school for primary age children since the 1920s.


Rupert Road
The road originally ran through the area now covered by the park to Holloway Road. It had been built by the St.Pancras Freehold Land Society in the late 19th. It quickly became a down market area.
Whittington Community Centre. Set up in 1972 in the buildings of what had been All Saints Mission Hall built in the 1890s and later All Saints Church Hall.
Hocking Memorial Institute.   Hocking Hall added to the Church  HallChurch Hall after the Great War. Rev. W.J. Hocking was a vicar at All Saints Church from the late 19th


Station Road
Bush Industrial Estate
BT Telephone Exchange and fleet depot


Tytherton Road
Houses in red brick with terracotta ornament, dated 1889
All Saints. It was redundant has been converted to flats.  Built 1884-5 by J.E.K. Cutts and restored after war damage by A. Llewellyn Smith in 1953.


Wedmore Street
The street was named by 1877 but houses were noted as in the road in the 1830s when it was known as John Street, with a subsidiary mews Eaton Road parallel and to the North West with a nursery ground between the two in the 19th.
3 Housing and trading units in buildings and on the site of an old Council Yard.
9 Alembic Works, Brown & Son Ltd.. Ltd. Manufacturers of Stills, Ovens and Stills, Autoclaves, Sterilizers, Gas and Water Taps, Extraction Apparatus, Vacuum Pans, Tilting Pans, and Laboratory Apparatus. Browns seem to have been on this site from at least the 1920s to the 1960s. The site now appears to be  housing.
19-23  Archway Business Centre. Offices, mainly connected to Social Services
27-35 Tiger Cottages 
37 The Black horse. Closed pub
39-47 Opera Court, built in 1906 as workshop and depot for the Metropolitan Borough of Islington. rLater used as a store by the Royal Opera House.  Now housing
52 The Good Intent. Pub
Heavy loading bay for Chris Stevens Ltd., Trade supplies to builders and decorators in Holloway Road 
Wedmore Works. This works was also adjacent to Eaton Grove and was home to Powell Lane who made fancy paper and later ladies handbags in the inter war period.  It was later damaged in a fire.
Wedmore Engineering Company.  This machine tool and electrical equipment manufacturer had a works adjacent to Eaton Grove during the Great War
Wessex Buildings. These were the first local authority buildings in the Holloway area. The London County Council bought with land at the rear in 1901 and built flats for 1,050 in three blocks, two in 1904 and one in 1905.  After the Great War, they bought a further 16 houses and built two 2 five-storey blocks in 1931 with 46. Some houses were however kept. 
Zerny's Theatrical Cleaners Ltd., Overnight cleaning.


Whittington Park 
An open space opened by Islington Council in 1973 on the site of a number of residential streets. It is named after Lord Mayor Dick Whittington and a large topiary cat, in reference to Whittington's pet, stands at the entrance and nearby a war memorial is set into the grass. There is an experimental garden planted as part of an  initiative by the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds to investigate the preferred habitat of house sparrows.


Yerbury Road
Rupert House built 1982. Site of Baptist of Mission Hall.


Sources
British History online. Islington
Clunn. Face of London
Dodds. London Then
London Borough of Islington. Web site
London Encyclopaedia,
Nairn. Modern Buildings,
Pevsner and Cherry.  London North
Summerson. Georgian London
Willats. Streets of Islington

1 comment:

David Houghton said...

The park in Foxham Road is older than 1980. I lived in Comus Road and went to Yerbury Road School and used to go to the park in the 1950's and 60's.