Friday, 17 October 2014

Great Eastern Railway Liverpool Street to Chingford. Walthamstow


The Great Eastern Railway from Liverpool Street to Chingford
The rail line running north from Walthamstow Central Station continues to run north westwards

Post to the south Walthamstow Hoe Street
Post to the west Walthamstow
Post to the east Walthamstow Wood Street

Atlee Terrace
A road named after a Labour Prime Minister – rarely found.

Aubrey Road
This road was previously called Cut-throat Lane. It is now said to be part of ‘Poets Corner’ with road names all after famous poets.  It is basically a back road to houses in Howard Road, which it predates. It has a ‘little free library’ outside one of the houses.
4a The Sclerine Crystal Company. This is a company making parts for crystal wireless sets in 1925
Badlis Road
Built by Warner Estates in 1900 and named after an Essex farm owned by the family

Bedford Road
2-4 Walthamstow Sri Katpaga Vinayagar Temple. This was Foresters Hall. The elephant-headed figure on the front of the Temple is Ganesha regarded as the remover of obstacles, the patron of education, knowledge and wisdom in both science and the fine arts.

Bishop’s Close
The area now built up was the site of the gardens of the house called The Chestnuts now in the centre of the road. It may have been built as a boys' school in 1820
Chestnuts. This house was built in the early 19th.  It was apparently built as a pair of houses perhaps by the Monoux school headmaster as home for himself plus accommodation for boarders

Cairo Road
Church Hill Baptist church. This is a church which is part of a modern block of flats. Church Hill Baptist church, also called Cairo Road church, was formed though a union of Zion, Maynard Road, and Commercial Street church. This was effected when the Particular Baptists of commercial Street, Wapping, sold their premises and in 1911 invited Zion to join them in building a new church here. The new church was opened as Commercial Street Memorial church. The current building of flats and church is called Kevan House after a previous minister.

Chingford Road
31 a double fronted building used as a dentist. On the gable are terracotta heads with oak and thistle motifs

Church Hill
Flats with a pattern of angled balconies and decorative wall panels. This appears to be an extension to the Central Parade and clock tower in Hoe Street built in 1958-64.  The site replaced shops and Hitchman's Dairy Depot which were wiped out by a V2 in 1944
1 Ross Wyld Hall. Ross Wyld was a Walthamstow Councillor during the Second World War. A hall was incorporated in the new development on the site which had had the rocket attack and named after him.  It is currently in use by a day nursery.
6-10 Churchill Business Centre. This was built to compliment the Central Parade opposite in the early 1960s and was used by the Inland Revenue.  It has leaf designs on the facade of the upper storeys.
Methodist Church. This began in a as a church at Prospect Hill in 1872.  In 1898 a new church was opened on Church Hill.  In 1941 its manse was demolished by bombing. In 1944 the church itself was destroyed by bombing.  The site was later sold for offices and is now under the business centre.
A mission was built on the south side of the road by a Mrs. Carter of the Limes, Shernhall Street, before 1882 and later taken over by Trinity Congregational Church.  In 1925 it was passed to the London City Mission and they rebuilt it in 1951.  It closed in 1970.
12 House dating from 1892.  This has housed a series of government and local government bodies – currently Waltham Forest Music Service which provides support to schools for tuition and loan of instruments.   There are also the offices of Barnardos adoption and fostering service, and Waltham Forest Children’s Rights undertaken with Barnardos. In the past the building has housed the National Assistance Board among other bodies.
27 Royal Mail Sorting Office. Built in 1965 by the Ministry of Public Buildings and Works
29 Energy House. This was built as the local authority's electricity showrooms in 1937 by T.F.Cunningham, Borough Engineer and Surveyor.  It was then called “Electricity House” and on nationalisation passed to the London Electricity Board.  It is a plain building in a grand manner and now used as offices. Drill hall.  This was in a house called Walthamstow Lodge. It was the Head Quarters of the 7th battalion Essex Territorials. Dating from at least the 1890s having moved from what is now the Vestry Museum.  The drill hall closed in the 1950s and a war memorial which had been outside it commemorating the dead is now at Whipps Cross. 
Church Hill House. Built in 1794 this was on the north side of Church Hill.  The house was bought by Mr. Thomas Vigne in 1830 followed by other wealthy families. In 1890 became the home of the Walthamstow High School for Girls. In 1918 it became the home of the local branch of the Y.M.C.A. set up as a memorial to the dead of the Great War. It provided gymnastics, football, harriers, swimming and other clubs, as well as concerts and lectures in a large hut which was specially built. Its status as a war memorial was displayed in gilt lettering along the top of the building. Church House was demolished in 1933 and the YMCA is now elsewhere in the borough.
Walthamstow School for Girls.  Built 1911-13 by C.J. Dawson with a brick English Baroque front. The girls wear green uniforms and thus it is known as the ‘green school’.  The school began as a private school in 1890 with a committee of subscribers. It but moved to Church Hill House a few months after its start.  The school was taken over by the county council in 1911, and in 1913 moved to new buildings on the old vicarage glebe. It was enlarged in 1918, 1928–9, and 1962 and recently refurbished.
The Greek Theatre is in the gardens of The Girls' High School. It was built in the 1920s by unemployed local labour and in 1925 featured Sybil Thorndike in the role of Medea. It consists of a circular arena with steps up to a stage on one side and a pillared portico on the other.
50 Church of the Nazarene. This was Moreia Church which began in the area in 1901, when Welsh residents met began to meet and used various buildings in the area including in the late 1920s the Y.M.C.A. hall on Church Hill until it was sold in 1932.  D. A. Davies bought Church Hill House, demolished it, and converted the stable in 1933 into the Moreia church.  In 1958 a new church was built in Leytonstone and the Moreia church was taken over by the Church of the Nazarene.
Monoux Almshouses. A row of cottages with a higher building in the centre originating in 1527 but later rebuilt. They were founded by local benefactor, George Monoux, City merchant and Lord Mayor in 1544. There were fourteen houses plus a Grammar School for Boys. The long timber framed range was intended as residences for a schoolmaster, parish clerk and alms priest. It was planned as six single-room dwellings with a schoolroom above. Other upper rooms were to be available for local events. In 1782 Walthamstow Parish took over the charities and the building was thereafter maintained. The range with a classical entrance now appears to be the earliest part, but it is a reconstruction after war damage, done in 1955 by Braddell & Laurence; the rendered part was rebuilt in c. 1730.  The school moved elsewhere in 1819.  The almshouses have been managed since 1957 are now managed by the Walthamstow and Chingford Almshouse Charity which is based in the buildings. The surrounding garden has lawns and borders although in the 19th residents were responsible for their own gardens with a privy at the end of the plot. The boundary with the churchyard is now poorly defined but the gardens have mown grass while the graveyard is left unmown for wildlife. There are also planted commemorative trees and benches. A plaque on the building describes their history and shows a bearded man holding shovel in one hand and a shepherd's crook in the other and has a dog at his feet. A woman has a goose at her feet.
Parsonage of St Mary's church.  This dates from 1903 but is the successor to several others.  It is a substantial Edwardian property now part of the school.
115 Fairmount. 19th house built as the home of Francis Wragg in 1870s. Would have had amazing views when built

Church Lane
St Mary’s Church. This was once the centre of the village. It is a 12th church on a Saxon site and is likely to have been a substantial building by the 13th.  It was founded in the early 12th by Ralph de Toni, Lord of Walthamstow’s Toni Manor. The 15th tower is of the late medieval Thames Valley type, with a 15th carved roundel with lamb and flag.  The tower was rebuilt in 1535 with funding from George Monoux. In the 18th galleries were built for an enlarged congregation and the current windows were inserted. Much of the church was increased in height at the same time. The church itself is covered by rendering and yellow brick refacing done in 1817-18 by Charles Bacon. In 1876, Georgian box pews and ceilings were removed.  There are two 16th chapels built for Sir George Monoux and Robert Thorne.  Oak panelling was installed as a Great War memorial. The chancel extension and vestry date from 1938 and choir stalls were given by Sir William Mallinson in 1939 as a memorial to his father.  There was serious damage during the Second World War when, in 1940 the south aisle roof was destroyed and a gallery was subsequently demolished to provide timber for the repair. In 1944 a bomb damaged the church tower. . There s a brass to Sir George Monoux, of 1543 and his wife with two small kneeling figures and some other brasses and monuments. In 1995 extensive refurbishment took place, which included reflooring and creating a larger entrance area. Some oak beams discovered during the work would be refurbished and left exposed.
Churchyard. Railed and crowded - rails were removed in 1942 to provide scrap for the war effort but replaced in 1955. There are some 1300 visible monuments with probably 26,000 burials and there are four listed tombs. It is divided into four railed areas with public access to only two but it is bisected by paths. There are the war graves of three dead in the Great War and nine of the Second World War.  There are some interesting tombs - for example that of the sugar merchants Dobree has carvings of sugar lumps. There are two mass graves, one of them was for victims of the Black Death in the 14h and the other for those of The Great Plague of 1665
2-8 The Ancient House. This 15th house was built on the site of the manor house of Toni on Berry Field. It was divided up in the 18th and restored 1934 having been used as a bicycle shop and a tea room. It is a complete timber-framed hall house of the 15th with crown-post roof, and jettied and gabled wings. The three-bay wing fates from the 16th.  In 1934 the work was done by C.J. Brewin with advice from SPAB; the work done by Fullers the builders in 1934 as a memorial to W G Fuller after his death. Weatherboarding was removed from the exterior, to reveal the medieval timber frame, which was strengthened by steel ties. More repairs were done in 2001-2 by Butler & Hegarty. Beside the later addition bow window a section of the old wattle and daub is shown behind glass. The pavement in front of the building has been cut away and replaced by glass to show the original ground level which has risen over six centuries. It is now used as housing.
Welcome Centre. St Mary's Infants School. This was originally held in a barn in 1824 by the vicar. In 1828 a school was built in the churchyard and was a preparatory school for poor children, who went on to the National school. By 1882 the school was known as the Central Infants School. It became a voluntary controlled school in 1951. The building of 1828 has a front of yellow brick. In 1928 the building was restored and later extended. Now in use as a community centre.
National Spiritualist church. Frugal buildings for St Mary's National Boys' school, with plaque dated 1819. St. Mary's National school was built in 1819 to replace the girls Blue school, which since 1782 had been run by the vestry along with the Monoux school foundations. The new school took children several local schools. It had teachers' houses attached, and was enlarged in 1825 and subsequently. In 1866 the boys were transferred to a new building while the girls remained here, and changed round in 1904. The school closed in 1906 and the building was sold in 1920.
Diamond Jubilee Meadow. Green area next to the ancient house – planted out for the Diamond Jubilee.
Pillar Box. Penfold style pillar box, octagonal and probably from 1865.

Church Passage
This was a main road in the middle ages as the extension Church Lane to what is now St Marys Road.
House which is 2.5s metres wide on the outside. The interior is less.

East Avenue
12 International Muslim Movement. Cultural Centre. This is in what seems to have been part of a clothing factory in St. Mary Road.

Folkestone Road
Potters House Christian Centre.  This began when a missionary couple came to London in the 1980s from Australia. Folkestone Road hall previously belong to the Brethren and may have originated in missions held at the town hall in 1884. The hall was enlarged in 1887 and a new hall opened in 1889. It was rebuilt in 1963.

Forest Road
Lloyd Park  (the majority of the park is in the square to the north, - this square only covers the area of the gallery southwards.
Lloyd Park is named after newspaper publisher Edward Lloyd, whose son Frank gave the estate to the council in 1898. It had been previously known as Winns, from a family who once lived there.  It was opened by Sam Woods MP, in 1900.
William Morris Gallery. The gallery is devoted to the life and legacy of William Morris: designer, craftsman, and socialist. This large house was called the Water House, from the square moat in the grounds to the north. The house is probably dates from 1750 with a remodeled front. It is shown on a map of 1758 and a brick dated 1740 has been found in an upper wall. William Morris’s family lived here from 1847 followed by publisher, Edward Lloyd. It was then owned by the Council and between 1911-1943 it was called Lloyd Park Mansion and was used for a children’s clinic. Morris had died in 1896 and proposals for a museum were made in 1900 and definite plans were made in 1934. It was opened by Prime Minister Clement Attlee in 1950. In 2011 the Gallery had a major redevelopment and now includes a tea room.
The parts of the park nearest the house. When the area became a public park the grounds immediately surrounding the Water House were cleared and land to the east was built over. A bowling green was laid out north-west of the house, used by the Walthamstow Ladies Bowls Club. A small 'scented garden for the visually impaired' was located nearby.  Behind the house balustraded terraces were laid out by the Council in 1899, with municipal-style bedding and coniferous trees and beyond that were a modern wooden aviary, since removed. There is a Judas tree at the eastern side of the house, and at the back are some golden cypresses the largest of that variety in Britain. To commemorate the centenary of the park a time capsule was buried in the lawn outside the Gallery in 2000.
434 Lloyd Park Methodist Church Central Hall was built in 1914 following use of an iron church, Lloyd Park Hall, in 1903.  The new Central Hall had with shops for letting plus an institute added in 1923. It was Bombed in the Second World War and closed although services were held in the institute because of debt.  It was eventually sold to the Salvation Army
434 Salvation Army. The Walthamstow Citadel originated in a tent mission. A Citadel, with shops below was designed by W. Gilbee Scott and built in 1891–2 on the site of Ball's boxing booths. In 1958 the Army bought the former Lloyd Park Methodist church, and it was registered as the Citadel in 1961.  This now forms a block in Forest Road with shops on the grand floor and a shop for the Army itself at one end.
590 Brookscroft. House from the mid 18th 1760 in brick. The house was originally built between 1554 and 1568 and belonged to the Bonnell family from 1686 until the mid 18th, when it was rebuilt.  It was the home of one of the numerous sons of Robert Wigram the shipbuilder.  It is now divided into flats but was previously used as a welfare centre.
617 Bell Pub. This provides a focal point for the area, and the licence dates from at least 1860. It is a decorative 19th pub by Lewcock & Collcott with stucco, faience & polished granite decoration. It replaced an earlier beer house of the same name.
642 YMCA building. Complex built in 1969 designed by Kenneth Lindy. They provide homeless accommodation for young people, sports facilities and other services.
644 Guardian House. The Walthamstow Press Ltd. was formed in 1923 to print the Walthamstow Guardian, founded in 1876. It was initially based in a print works in the High Street empty because the printer had died. In 1935 it moved to Guardian House, where a new foundry and rotary plant were installed. The site is now Hallingbury Court flats.
656 Hookways built a factory in 1899 and moved to Hoe Street from Aldersgate Street.  They made collars, braces, and umbrellas and by 1849 made poplin shirts.  By 1949 making better class poplin shirts
Chestnut Farm. This became the site of the civic centre. The farm was latterly owned by Hitchmans Dairy and used for grazing. It was previously known as Clay Hall.
Civic Centre.  An art deco group with the Town Hall, Assembly Hall built 1937-43 and Courts built 1972-3. A competition to build the centre was won in 1932 by P.D. Hepworth with this Swedish influenced design and on a scale larger than the government buildings of many nation states.  Only two of the intended buildings were begun and the work was limited by wartime restrictions.
Town Hall.  This was built in 1941 by P. Hepworth. Only the carcasses of offices and hall block had been finished by 1939 and they were completed under wartime conditions. It is in a landscaped setting, behind a formal forecourt with circular fountain which was renewed in 1999.  The offices are in the main block with a copper faced clock tower – itself simpler than intended with fibreglass uplighters painted to imitate metal. Sculpted figures on the outside of the council chamber are by John F. Kavanagh - the head of Fellowship modelled on William Morris and they also represent Motherhood, Work, Recreation and Education. Panels In the committee rooms are of locally made plywood and in the council chamber wartime economy led to the reuse of Victorian furnishings from the old town hall in Orford Road. The centre itself was used by the ARP during the war and this fortified basement later became a Cold War shelter.
War Memorial in front of the town hall is a mourning figure in granite standing beside a structure. In 1922 this was originally sited in Lloyd Park and moved here in 1961. The nose is broken off the statue. Later inscriptions commemorate the Second World War and subsequent conflicts. There is an inscription ‘OUR GLORIOUS DEAD “LEST WE FORGET” 1914-1918 1939-1945' and ' IN MEMORY OF THE FALLEN OF WALTHAMSTOW 1945 TO THE PRESENT DAY'
Assembly Hall. This is also by P. Hepworth opened in 1943 in the same Swedish influence design. Inside is a full-height foyer with a high star-shaped window. The hall also has large windows, a stage.  Outside are sculptures of Comedy and Tragedy by Irish sculptor John Francis Kavanagh
Court House. Built 1972-3 by the Greater London Council’s Special Works Department under Geoffrey E. Horsfall. It is in reinforced concrete faced with Portland stone. This was the first scheme to carry out the 1969 recommendations for new Magistrates Courts in London.  There are five informal, flexibly planned courts on the first floor, with lighting through the roof and a Juvenile court on the ground floor. The various court entrances and car parks are tucked away as Hepworth had envisaged
Beacon in front of the Magistrate's Court. This gas-burning structure was set up to celebrate the new "millennium" on December 31st 1999.
707 Waltham Forest College.  This was built as South West Essex Technical College and School of Art in 1938 by John Stuart, Essex County Architect and it replaced Walthamstow and Leyton Colleges of Art and two trade schools. It later became North East London Polytechnic and then the University of East London.  It is next to the Civic Centre, and equally grand with a long brick building with a portico and a pediment with carvings, and some flat reliefs said to be by Eric Gill or by Bradford. During the Second World War it was used to provide technical training for military personnel; by the RAF in 1940, by the army in 1941 and by the navy in 1942 – when it was reclassified as a ship called HMS Shrapnel 
Plough. In front of the college. The area was once a series of clearings in Epping Forest which were farmed.
Gillards Way
Gillard & Co. Ltd., pickle factory built in 1931.  From 1892 they were also at a site in the High street - the Chestnuts which they renamed the Vintry Works. They also made pies and sausages here as well as chutney, sauces and condiments.

Greenleaf Road
Ruarch City Church. Founded in Brixton in 1992. This building was St Luke’s church and hall. It was built in 1901-02 by Bottle and Olley and the chancel was extended in 1923. The church originated in 1900–1 as a mission of St. Mary's and a parish was formed in 1903. It is in brown and red brick with a small tower.
4 Greenleaf Road Baptist Church. This began in 1902 in a tent mission sponsored on Church Hill. A group then met in Hoe Street until 1903 when Forest Road Board School was hired. A church was formed in 1905 and a school-chapel opened and registered in 1906 as the Central Baptist Hall. The Tabernacle was destroyed by bombing in 1944, but services continued in a hall. The rebuilt Tabernacle, a contemporary compact building, opened in 1949.
William Morris Community Centre. This was opened in 1987. This council owned building is currently run by the William Morris Community Centre Users Association.

Hatherley Mews
Hatherley Mews Offices. Business area with 19th buildings complemented by a new office block.

Hawthorne Road
1 Aladura International Church.  A Nigerian inspired church dating from 1970. The building was a Methodist Mission Hall originating in 1880. A church was built in 1882 with financial aid from John Hitchman. It had closed by 1917, and was bought in 1924 by St. Luke's church as a parish hall. In 1964 the building was bought by the borough council for demolition, but continued in use as a store

High Street
The road was originally called Marsh Street
Central Library. Built in 1907 by V K Dunford and funded by Andrew Carnegie. The upper room was planned as a public hall with a stage and is reached by a carved timber staircase restored after fire damage in 1982.  The building was to the front of a house to which a reading room was added in 1894, probably by Lewis Angell and this survives. Extensions have been built to the rear and include a new single storey children library on and a reception/entrance foyer with a lift to the first floor
Public Hall & Baths. These were built in 1900 designed by architect William Dunfield and could be used as a public hall in winter. They included a swimming pool and slipper in bath. Demolished in 1968
George Monoux School. This was next to the baths and opened in 1889. This grammar school was originally founded in 1527 by Sir George Monoux., and was reorganised in 1884.  It moved from here to Chingford in 1927.
182 Carlton Cinema.  This was on the corner with Colebrook Road. It was opened on 1913. It had a white stone front with an open balcony. It was renovated in 1959, and closed in 1964. The front part of the building was demolished and the auditorium turned into a supermarket. It was demolished in 1986, and the site has been re-developed.
195-197 Palace Theatre. This was on the north side of the road east of Erskine Road. It opened in 1903 and was operated, designed and built by the same company as other Palace theatre’s in London.  There were towers on each end of its red brick facade. There was a stage and eight dressing rooms. It was a music hall and variety theatre which also screened films. They also staged plays. In later years there were circuses, annual pantomimes and even nude shows. In 1952 it was taken over by Countess de la Marr, and became a playhouse but closed in 1954. The building was eventually left abandoned and became derelict. It was demolished in 1960, and shops and flats called Palace Parade were built on the site.
Congregational Church.  Marsh Street Church is said to have originated in 1672, when a house was licensed for Presbyterian meetings and a meeting-house was built in 1695 on the north side of the road. This was later pulled down but the site was conveyed to the congregation and a new meeting-house for Presbyterian worship was built in 1739.  In 1786 evangelical members seceded to form a New Meeting. The Old Meeting survived to the 1830s and the chapel still existed in 1839 but it had been pulled down by 1861. The New Meeting opened in 1787 on a site on the south side of the road part of which became a burial ground. In 1868 the Charity Commissioners agreed that the site of the Old Meeting should be transferred to the New Meeting trustees to build a larger church and a new church, on the Old Meeting site, opened in 1871 in stone to the design of John Tarring & Son. Conway Hall was added in 1899. As a result of bomb damage in 1944 the steeple became unsafe and was taken down in 1954 and the church itself closed in 1965.

Hoe Street
1 The Empire Cinema opened in 1913. It was built for the Good Brothers, local builders merchants, who operated other local cinemas, all of which were taken over by Hamilton Cinemas Ltd. in 1933 and closed two months later. The Empire Cinema was taken over by Amusements (Leyton) Ltd. and re-opened in 1933 but by 1937 it was operated by Clavering & Rose. In 1961 it was re-named Cameo Cinema and Closed in 1963. It became a bingo club, and showed Bollywood films. It was taken over by Classic Cinemas re-opened as a Tatler Cinema Club in 1970, screening sex films to ‘members only’ and this closed in 1981. It was converted into an amusement arcade, and then the Hurricane Room, a snooker club. Now said to have been taken over by a religious organisation.
5-7 Kingdom Hall. Fiesta Co-operative hall originally Salvation Army. Jehovah Witness from 1963 Jehovah's Witnesses bought the Fiesta Co-operative hall (originally a Salvation Army hall) in Hoe Street in 1962 and registered it as Kingdom hall in 1963; they were still worshipping there in 1970
9-11 The Hoe Street Working Mens' Club
15 Knitwell Works. Red brick factory building owned by H.E.Hughsley. The office suite faces Hoe Street with a workshop/warehouse to the rear. Hughsley was also based in Oatlands Rise and St.Mary Road and made children’s knitted outerwear. They went out of business in 1984.
17 Walthamstow Trades Hall. The entrance to this is in Tower Hamlets Road.
55 Ye Olde Rose and Crown. Landmark late 19th pub with a corner turret. This includes a small theatre.
186 Victoria Hall. This opened in 1887. It was used for dances and concerts. After 1896, it was used as a live theatre and later re-named King’s Theatre.  From 1907 it was again called Victoria Hall, and showed films. It was changed again in 1921 and this time re-opened as the Victoria Picture Theatre. In 1930, it was purchased by Sydney Bernstein, and demolished.
186 The Granada Theatre was the second Granada Theatre to be opened and replaced the Victoria Hall in 1930. It was designed by Cecil Masey with a restaurant, and shops. Inside it was designed by Theodore Komisarjevsky. There was a stage and a 12Ranks Christie organ, with two 3Manual consoles. In the 1950’s and 1960’s there were Pantomimes, and pop concerts. In 1973, the Granada Theatre was tripled. In 1989, it was taken over by the Cannon Group and re-named but by 1995, the Virgin Group had taken over. ABC it took over in 1996, and it was re-named ABC. And then they were taken over by Odeon Theatres Ltd. who closed it – but said no future user could screen English language films. . The cinema was purchased by another operator, and it re-named EMD Cinema, screening Bollywood films. It closed in 2003.  It had been sold to the United Church of the Kingdom of God based in Brazil but they were refused planning consent and a long train of offers and public Central Parade built in 1958 and finished in 1964. It consists of flats, shops, hall and clock tower.  There is a wavy canopy of concrete over shop fronts and flats above. The Clock Tower has by mosaic decoration with coats of arms. This was designed by F.G.Southgate, the then Borough Engineer and Architect.  It was built on the site of shops and a dairy which suffered a hit from a V1.
enquiries ensued. The cinema is still open as a pub.
264 The Goose. Previously called The Goose and Granite. Late 19th pub originally the Tower Hotel
Jewel Road
1a Quaker Meeting Rooms. There has been a meeting of the Religious Society of Friends in Walthamstow since At the start of the 20th they the Quakers ran an adult education centre at the Bedford Institute in Greenleaf Road. They moved to this building which had been a 19th print works in 1998.


Orford Road
Connaught Hospital.  In the late 19th a Mr. and Mrs. Tudor opened a 'Cottage for Sick Children' in a private house, in larger premises in 1880 it was called the Leyton, Walthamstow and Wanstead Hospital.   In 1894 the hospital was given Holmcroft in Orford Road and it was renamed the Children's and General Hospital for Leyton, Leytonstone, Walthamstow and Wanstead.  It was subsequently enlarged in and a War Memorial Ward was added in 1927.  In 1928 it was renamed the Connaught Hospital after the Duchess of Connaught who was a patron. Another house in Orford Road,   Comely Bank, became a clinic in 1930 and in 1959, the old Walthamstow Town Hall, became the main entrance to the hospital.  The Hospital closed in 1977.  Most of the buildings have been demolished and housing built on the site.
9 Nags Head.  Cat friendly pub dating to 1859s. The pub was originally on the corner with Church Lane but was demolished and replaced.
Old Coach House. It was built for by Francis Wragg who ran a stagecoach service into London

Prospect Hill
16 site of St.Columba’s Presbyterian Church of England. This church originated as a Methodist church in 1872. In 1898 the Methodists moved elsewhere and the church was taken over by the Presbyterians. They built a new church here 1906 but it was bombed in 1941. It was rebuilt again in 1957 but closed in 1968 and demolished in 1971. There are now flats on the site called St.Columba’s House.


Saint Mary Road
1 factory building used by Threekay Knitwear who made outerwear. They went out of business in 1993. The building is now flats.

The Drive
Emmanuel Community School. This is a ‘free’ school with a Christian ethos which moved onto the site of St Mary's Primary School when that school moved to Brooke Road in 2012. The school building was By TFP Architects in 1970-2. It has paired classrooms around a central hall.

Tower Hamlets Road
2 Brown Jug off-licence. This is now converted into a house.
H. C. Jones & Sons (Walthamstow) Ltd., were sheet metalworkers here before 1901. By 1957 the firm were specialising in dustbins. They moved away in the early 1960s.

Vestry Road
Vestry Road Play Park. Pathway with mosaic stepping stones.  The park was once part of Church Common part of which was taken for a cutting for the railway.  There was a long argument about this stretch which was used by the school as a playground and the original requirement was for a tunnel. The railway gave land now in Selbourne Road in compensation for loss of the stretch now in the cutting.
Borough Museum. Vestry House – this is also called the old Armoury or the Workhouse, and more recently the Borough Museum.  In 1730 Walthamstow Parish built a simple eight roomed house on Buryfield, part of the Church Common as a Workhouse and for Vestry meetings. It was subsequently enlarged including a brewhouse in the 1740s. The dormitories were on the upper floor with workshops behind.  On the date plaque, carved by Samuel Chandler of Wanstead, is 'if any should not work neither should he eat’. At the side of the original front is an 18th extension which was built as the vestry room. It later became the armoury of the Walthamstow Volunteers and from 1892 used by the Walthamstow Literary and Scientific Institute museum.  It was also used as a private house. It became a museum in 1931. In 2001 David Gibson Architects, added a community room overlooking a formal garden. Various exhibits outside the building include a Corinthian column. A notice on the side of building describes the watch house which was built in 1765 and was also known as 'The Cage' in which miscreants would he held until they could appear before the magistrate. This stood alongside and was demolished in 1912
Fire Engine House. This is opposite the Museum and housed the local fire engine. This was a water pump which had to be pushed around by the firemen, but used horses after 1863.
Squires Almshouses. These were built in 1795, and are single storey brick buildings. They were built in 1795 by Mary Squires for six ‘decayed’ widows of Walthamstow tradesmen who were members of the established church. A plaque says “ Thefe houfes are ERECTED and ENDOWED For EVER By Mrs Mary Squires for the Ufe of Six Decayed Tradefmans Widows of this Parifh and no other.Ano. Domi. 1795.
Mosque and Sakina Trust. Islamic Centre.  This is in the former Post Office Sorting Office built in  1903, with a terracotta frieze and central pediment. It was converted in 1995 by Sayyid Nakhavi.

Vinegar Alley
Said to be the site of two plaque pits

Walthamstow Town Square
This is an area of cleared and derelict sites where a new public space has been laid out since 2010. The Town Square is marked out by a rectangle of paving slabs and a double row of pre-existing plane trees lie along two sides of the square. There is new lighting through high level masts and other environmental improvements. The High Street forms the northern boundary and to the west is the blank brick fa├žade of the Selbourne Walk Shopping Centre. To the east are building in everyday use a bank, the post office and the library. South of the Square is a green space, the Town Gardens. This is adjacent to the bus terminal and to the shopping centre building which has an entrance to the Gardens. The railway/tube station entrances directly opposite the Gardens.

Westbury Road
Job Centre
Unichem depot, closed 2001


Sources
Aladura International Church. Web site
British Listed Buildings. Web site
CABE. Web site
Church of the Nazarene. Web site
Cinema Theatres Association Newsletter
Clunn. The Face of London
Dodds. London Then
East London Old and New
English Heritage. Web site
Field. London Place Names
Grace’s Guide. Web site
Lambert. London Night and Day,
Law. Walthamstow Village
London Borough of Waltham Forest. Walthamstow Village. Conservation Area
London Borough of Waltham Forest. Vestiges
London Borough of Waltham Forest. Web site
London Encyclopedia
London Gardens Online. Web site
Lost Hospitals of London.
Nags Head. Web site

Osborne. Defending London
Pevsner and Cherry. Essex

Pond. The Chingford Line
Ruach Church. Web site
Victoria County History. Walthamstow
Walford. Village London
Walthamstow and Chingford Almshouse Charity. Web site
Walthamstow Girls School. Web site.
Walthamstow’s Free Art. Web site
Walthamstow Memories. Web site

1 comment:

Digger79 said...

Sorry to dispel the myth, but the carving on the end of the Dobree tomb in St Mary's churchyard does not depict sugar lumps, but rather a cup (of wine), a book (Bible or prayer book) and a PLATE of BREAD: the whole scene being of Holy Communion.