This post shows sites north of the river only. South of the river is Kingston Portsmouth Road
Post to the east Kingston
Post to the north Kingston and Hampton Wick
Post to the south Hampton Court Palace Golf Clubhouse and Seething Wells
Hampton Court Park
The Rick Pond. The water comes from the Longford River flowing down the Long Water canal into the Rick Pond before reaching the Thames. The lake has an open aspect with south westerly winds running up the length of the pond. The southerly end was extended in 1931 and more recently the southerly end gas filled in to allow avenues of trees to be planted returning to the layout designed for Charles II. The pond is also used for fishing.
Hampton Court Model Yacht Club. The Rick Pond has been the venue for model yacht racing since the 1890’s. The Rev. Leonard Sampson Lewis-Low founded Surbiton MYC in 1893 and by the late 1920’s three clubs used the lake. Yachting Monthly 6 metres Owners Association was founded in 1924 and their headquarters moved the Rick Pond in 1929 and a boat house was built. They were joined by, and eventually merged with a South London club. There was also a Surbiton Club. In 1930 a clubhouse was built with various facilities including gas lighting. There was also a shed for the South London club and a brick building on the other side of the lake for the Surbiton Club. In 1996 the rent was increased so the two clubs merged and the South London clubhouse demolished.
Course of Hampton Court water supply – this runs east/west across this section
The Wilderness Parkfield. House
Ferry. There is a slip at the point to which the ferry from Kingston would have run
Hampton Court Model Yacht Club. Web site
Hampton Court Park. Web site