Friday, 24 February 2017
Post to the south Addlestone Coombelands
Post to the west St.Peter's Way
Chapel Park Church of England Infants School. This was built in 1896
Bank House, This was originally the London County & Westminster Bank built during the Great War, It is on the site of Kingthorpe.
Citizens Advice in The Old Library. This was built on the site of a house called Kingthorpe, The library dates from 1953 built by Chertsey Urban District Council.
Kingthorpe Gardens. Some of the garden wall of Kingthorpe House remains in the garden.,
107 Queens Arms. Pub dates from the mid 19th
Salvation Army – their church and local head quarters is in the lane alongside number 106
118 Sally Ann’s – Salvation Army Charity Shop
121-124 Fremoyle House private nursing home
St Paul’s Church. The church was completed in 1838 on a site given by a local landowner and has been enlarged since.
Vicarage. This was east of the church and included piggeries at the back. It has since been demolished.
Gardens, this is the old burial ground which was converted as part of the celebrations for the 1953 Coronation – and a sign above the gate memoralises this.
Addlestone Youth Centre.
136 Royal Ancient Order of Buffaloes Club, The building was the Red Room", a late 19th parish reading room. This was later used by the school
Holly Tree. Pub which may date from the mid-19th
Liberty Hall Lane
Sayes Court Farm Caravan Park. This was an extensive mobile home site.
Addlestone Football Club. This dated from 1885 and played at a ground accessed from Liberty Lane. They played there until their dissolution in 1985. There is now housing on the site.
Kings Church,. Mission Halls. This began in 1917. When Mr, Williams, a member of the local Baptist Church began to hold a Sunday School in the fields for poor children and they later moved to the Chapel Road School. Mr. Williams inherited some money and bought a plot of land in Marsh Lane and put an old army hut on it – it was called the Prairie Mission. In 1966 the wooden hut was replaced with a brick built hall, which was added to with a rear hall and side rooms being built in 1972 and it was renamed Marsh Lane Evangelical Church –and church changed it’s name again in 1993 to The King’s Church and now the The King’s Centre.
Holy Family Roman Catholic Church
Sayes Court Farm Drive.
Sayes Court Primary School. Now part of some ‘Bourne Educational Trust’.
Sayes Court Children’s Centre
St,Paul’s Church of England Primary School, This was built in built 1841, and subsequently enlarged. It was initially for girls and infants.but a Boys' school was added in 1901. In 1894 Chertsey District Board took it over from the Parish
Jubilee International High School. The school was set up in 1985 by the a merger of St Paul's County Secondary School with the The Meads County Secondary School, and. Stepgates County Secondary School. It was originally called Abbeylands School. Becaause of falling standards it was seen to be a ‘Fresh Start’ and renamed Jubilee High in 2002. It was called a ‘Foundation school’ and part of profit making ‘Nord Anglia Education, plc’
Achieve Lifestule Sports and Leisure Centre
Simplemarsh Farm. This has been demolished and is now posh housing
St Augustines Convent. this was previously a private house. It is a care home run by the The Congregation of Sisters Hospitallers of the Sacred Heart of Jesus set up in Spain in the 1880s.
Wagon and Horses. Pub which was originally a corrugated iron beerhouse.
Summer Place Park
Addlestone History. Web site
Kings Centre. Web site
Runneymede Council. Web site
Salvation Army. Web site
Sisters Hospitallers. Web site.
St.Paul’s Church. Web site
Wikipedia as appropriate
Posted by M at 09:35