Sunday, 19 February 2017
M25 Byfleet West Hall
Post to the east Byfleet
Byfleet Wey Navigation
This is said to be the original course of the River Wey. It is followed by the Parish boundary and now the borough boundary.
Footpath which runs to the Navigation from Pyrford Lane
Traditions Golf Club, This is an 18 hole public, parkland golf course designed by Peter Allis in 1999
The buildings at West Hall are reached by a long private drive from Parvis Road to the north.
West Hall. Large house now a care home. In it was used as by land girls and refuges and also as an overflow auxiliary hospital. It was later used as offices by the Swiss Bank and eventually by Mouchel, consulting engineers. West Hall was built in the 1890s by local benefactor Frederick Stoop. It replaced West Lodge which dated at least from the mid 18th when West Lodge was owned by a Richard West. Another later owner was Robert Murray.
West Hall Farm
Orchard. At West Hall the George Carpenter and garden staff develpped three new apples including the “Byfleet Seedling” in 1915.
Moat. This is a Linear pond east of the Hall. Although it is thought of as a moated site it is more likely to have been an ornamental pond for West Hall.. There is a sluice exit onto the Navigation.
Named after an owner of West Lodge. This is part of an ancient footpath to Pyrford.
The stretch between Dodd’s and Murray’s bridges is unusually a public bridleway.
Dodds Bridge. This was also known as Harris’s bridge and carried a private drive to West Hall.
Murray’s Bridge. This was also known as Twigg’s Bridge and originally carried a private drive from West Hall.
Archaeology Dataservice. Web site
Byfleet Heritage. Web site
Wardle. The Wey Navigations
Woking Council. Web site
Posted by M at 08:29