Various tributaries of the Moselle flow
eastwards: Queens Wood Stream, Priory Brook and Cholmondley Brook
TQ 30135 88161
Suburban area to the south of Crouch End with Hornsey School of Art and much else.
Post to the west Highgate
Post to the north Hornsey
Post to the south Archway
Post to the east Crouch End
Cholmondley Brook passes along the north
side of the road
1 old people’s flats which use an arched wall
feature from the previous house as part of garden terrace. The architects were
Marden and Knight and they won a competition set by the Avenue Road Residents
2 Avenue Hall. Flats which date
5 Avenue Heights. This 12 floor tower block
was built in 1964 as sheltered accommodation for elderly Jewish refugees. It
was originally named after Eleanor Rathbone, MP who campaigned for the entry
into the UK of refugees from the Nazis.
The Priory Brook crosses the road from
Carisfort Road and enters Priory Park at its corner.
Cholmondley Brook goes north on its east
side. This was part of a series of lakes in the grounds of Crouch Hall
Cast iron street name
plaque the wall of house in Shanklin Road
Priory Brook emerges from the edge of the Playing Fields and follows the line
of this road to Barrington Road
Cholmondley Brook goes along the north side
of the road. This was part of a series of lakes in the grounds of Crouch Hall
Cholmondley Brook crosses the road. The road
was laid out by 1881 with some infill of local authority and other flats in the
Post Office pillar
box with no inscription near the junction with Shepherds Hill
Post Office pillar
box inscribed GVIR at junction with Crescent Road
Coolhurst Tennis and Squash Club, Founded as a tennis club in 1903 by members of the local
YMCA it was at first called Fairfield Tennis Club with twenty-four members. A
year later the club took over four courts on the current site and became the
Coolhurst Lawn Tennis Club. They became independent of the YMCA in 1907, and in
the 1930s, added two squash courts and a bar.
Laid out 1871 with spiky Gothic houses of
which nine remain. The road curves around Christ Church in Crouch End Hill.
Christ Church Parish Hall
15, 17, 19 Gothic style 19th villas on the outer curve
of the road. Steeply gabled, in brick
with coloured bands and a carved decoration.
15A Solis House a late 20th addition replicating their style and materials. Plaque saying ok
for aesthetic design by Prince of Wales in 1999.
Highgate Spinney. 20th flat roofed brick
Williams Close on the junction with
Coolhurst Road made up of three mid 20th brick blocks of flats
Green space at the junction with
Avenue Road with mature horse chestnut trees
Crouch End Hill
Christ Church. The site was given for a new parish church by
C.S.Dickens from land on the Crouch Hall Estate. It replaced a rented chapel which was inadequate.
It was architect Blomfield’s first church in this
part of London, and completed over a long period between 1861 and 1881. It is
in Kentish ragstone in a 13th Gothic style. There is a bronze war memorial with figure
of St George by L. F. Roslyn.
–impressively leafy on the hillside.
Hillside. A late
of flats that replaced a detached late Victorian villa of the same name.
Coleridge Primary School – this
is now the west site. It opened here in `97`
Coleridge Primary School East. This
is the old TUC Training Centre which Haringey took over in 2006.and decided to extend
Coleridge Primary School. There is a
specially installed traffic light linking the two sites.
Hornsey School of Art. This originally fronted onto Waverley Road.
This began as private classes under Frank Swinstead which opened as a school
and residence in 1882, with government help. It later became the Hornsey School
of Arts and Crafts and supported by Middlesex County Council from 1904 buying
the freehold in 1925. It was reconstructed with an extension in 1931. The school was overcrowded by 1953 and expansion
was difficult although the school was widely known for its 'Hornsey’ designs. In the 1970s into merged
with what was then Middlesex Polytechnic and relocated to Cat Hill.
TUC National Education Centre - the
Art School building was subsequently converted in 1984 as the Trades Union Congress national training
centre. In 2005 they surrendered the lease and Haringey Council took it over
and it was converted to an extension of Coleridge Primary School.
Crouch Hall Road
This was built as the main axis of a grid of
streets laid out by the Imperial Investment Company from 1882 On the Crouch Hall
estate. It led to Crouch Hall itself which was at the eastern end.
Surgery to the rear of No. 48
Post Office pillar box with no
inscription outside 20
in 1870 by William Bird who owned Crouch Hall.
for Christchurch. Site given by William Bird and the architect was A.E.Billing.
Built 1878 and enlarged in 1890s.
18 and 19 Christ Church
Cottages. Built in 1900 on land secured by Rev. Sharp. An entry goes to 20 which is a
commercial property behind.
23 Parish Hall. This is now the
School of Islamic Sufism
Post Office pillar box inscribed
GVIR on junction with Tivoli Road
Highgate Wood School. Built in 1956 by Architect E.D.Mills as Bishopswood
School. It became a compressive in replacing two others. This site was initially the Upper School
but now takes all pupils.
Crouch End Playing Fields. Established for
sports 1890. The Queens Wood Stream crosses the playing fields in a culvert
south of the footpath to Park Road. The stream was still open in the
1930s. The Priory Stream follows the
field’s southern boundary where there is a line of trees and goes under the
site of the baths. It then follows Carisfort Road,
Was previously called Maynard Street. An older area of development. The Queens
Wood Stream crosses the road in a culvert at its lowest point. Cholmondley
Brook also crosses it.
57 Moors Bar, in temperance coffee house Building with and two
sedate bay windows.
59 Former Woodwork Building with battlements, turret
and half-timbered gable. This was an
addition to Hornsey’s first board school by H. Chatfeild Clarke in 1893. The
replaced was by a crescent of houses behind in 1994.
Maynard Arms. Named after a medieval Lord of the Manor. Built 1851
115 Bar Apogee Pub, since closed, Previously
O's Bar and The Bird in
Terrace pub. This used to be the Princess Alexandra. pub
Park Road Leisure Centre. Open-air pool opened 1929 plus indoor pools opened
1974 by Leonard Vincent, Raymond Garbing & Partners.
Kelland Close 1937 – domestic style round a garden. Hornsey council
housing: three ranges
Ramsey Court. This block of
flats was a replacement for Bomb damage built in 1952 by B. Bancroft
Hornsey Central Hospital. The Cottage Hospital was built by Hornsey
Borough Council by George Lethbridge on land donated by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners.
The foundation stone was laid in 1907and the Hospital opened in 1910. It was extended
as a War Memorial for those killed in the Great War and was extended again later.
In the 1979 it was a general and acute hospital until 1981, when it became a
geriatric hospital. It closed in 2001 and was demolished in 2007. It is replaced
by a primary care health centre.
War Memorial - this has been incorporated
into the health centre. It is a chapel dating
from 1921 in Red brick. There are wooden doors with inscription ‘THE
BOROUGH OF HORNSEY WAR MEMORIAL’ below the borough arms. Inside are 44 panels, carved
with names of the dead.
Nurses Home, site developed for housing
Cholmondley Brook goes along its north side.
This was part of a series of lakes in the grounds of Crouch Hall
Post Office pillar
box inscribed VR on junction with Park Road
Cholmondley Brook crosses the road near its
junction with Claremont Road which is its lowest point.
Channing School Playing Fields. Cholmondley
Brook passes along the east side and is joined by another tributary,
Post Office pillar
box inscribed VR on junction with Shepherd’s Hill
site of Crouch End School. Crouch End Board School moved here in 1877. It
was renovated and reopened in 1935. Senior boys moved in the 1940s and the junior
school closed in 1975.
Cast iron street name
plaque at first floor level on No.1
Line of a pre-railway path from Crouch End
Hill to Hornsey Rise. Probably by the local builder W.J. Collins on the site of
Oakfield House. Their style derives from the 'artistic' houses of Norman Shaw.
Coleridge East. On the old Art
School site, now used by the primary school is a 19th House, built
as a home for the School Principal in the 1890’s.
The stream from Queens Wood crosses over
Christ Church web site
Clunn. The Face of London
Coolhurst Tennis Club web site
Greater London Council. Home Sweet Home
Highgate Wood School web site
History of Middlesex. Middlesex CC
Hornsey British History web site
London Borough of Haringey web site
Pevsner and Cherry, London North
Pinching and Dell. Harringey’s Hidden Streams
Walford. Highgate to the Lea,
Walk around Muswell Hill